Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Morocho
Topic Author

How do I find a photo of an aircraft used for a refugee flight? I have the flights details.

Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:21 pm

Dear All,

Thank you in advance for your help.

A family member was evacuated from Eisenstadt, Austria, on December 4th 1956 to the United Kingdom. It was a Hungarian refugee "airflight" coded "MIBOA AH/87"

Any idea how I can identify the aircraft used and find an actual photo?

Any guidance of how I can find more records of that flight would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks
Morocho

EGuttman

Re: How do I find a photo of an aircraft used for a refugee flight? I have the flights details.

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:11 am

Hi, did you ever get any information on this? Our Grandparents were on the MIBOA AH/116 Flight on 12/6/1956. I would love to hear if you've made any headway.

Thanks, Evelyn

Moose135

Re: How do I find a photo of an aircraft used for a refugee flight? I have the flights details.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:43 am

EGuttman wrote:
Our Grandparents were on the MIBOA AH/116 Flight on 12/6/1956.

I did a quick Google search on MIBOA AH/116 and came up with a couple of results - besides this thread...

This has what looks to be scanned copies of the passenger list, from the listing:
https://collections.arolsen-archives.or ... -2_1296087

The heading on the page says
Nominal Roll of Hungarian refugees departing for the United Kingdom by airflight MIBOA AH/116, aircraft GANBI (BCH 061) on 6 December 1956 from Eisenstadt

Assuming GANBI was the registration, I think it refers to G-ANBI which was a Bristol 175 Britannia 102 flown by BOAC. There's a photo of it here in the database:

Morocho wrote:
A family member was evacuated from Eisenstadt, Austria, on December 4th 1956 to the United Kingdom. It was a Hungarian refugee "airflight" coded "MIBOA AH/87"
Morocho

They do have a copy of the passenger list for MIBOA AH/87, but sadly it doesn't include the aircraft information.
https://collections.arolsen-archives.or ... -2_1296098

Looking at some of the other flights listed in that archive, it looks like the 'MIBOA' flights were all BOAC Bristol 175s, so it may very well be that your family member flew on one on their flight.