Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dkramer7
Topic Author

Davis-Monthan AFB F-16 stores

Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:20 am

Hi everyone

Davis-Monthan AFB stores a number of F-16's previously used by the USAF (and others?).

I have no idea what the plans are for these airframes (if any) or what condition they are even in.

I have a hypothetical scenario though that I would appreciate some input in.

Lets say that (hypothetically speaking of course) that I had a sudden desire to equip a foreign air force with a fleet of F-16 aircraft. Davis-Monthan AFB MAY be a source of airframes in order to do this.

For the sake of simplicity lets put aside issues of political and/or social willpower and assume that the powers that be are fully committed to this plan. Lets also assume for the sake of this scenario that we are prepared to pay whatever the financial cost is to make it happen.

I realize that the real world is complicated and these conditions are not realistic, however I am simply trying to cut down some of the variables in order to make it easier to work out.

My question really is more about the process of reactivating a stored military's air fleet and what are the sorts of things that one would need to do for this to occur.

And before anyone says "It will never happen because of xyz", yes I know that already. The point here is to try and determine some of the factors and items that need to occur for it to happen. This is a thought experiment, so comments saying it can't happen are not helpful because I already know that.

Also, Yes i fully understand that there are many variables such as:

How long the airframe has been stored
What condition it is in
Has it already been stripped for parts

and etc etc etc.

My scenario is "all things equal" so I understand that any replies are to be taken with an unhealthy dosage of sea crystals.

Thanks in advance for responding in the spirit of learning and discovery

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Davis-Monthan AFB F-16 stores

Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:32 am

Yes, the can pull F-16s out of D-M, reactivate them, but most will be target drones or scrapped. The earlier block numbers might be harder, certainly A models would be more difficult—parts, training support.

Many types are put there with no intention of reactivating, others are ready for return to service.

ssteve

Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:42 am

QF-16 target drones are the replacement for QF-4. (The final USAF F-4 flight was a QF-4)

The QF-16 would have interesting possibilities for, uh, depletion of enemy air defenses, I've thought.

kitplane01

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:23 am

As far as I know, it's possible to get every part for every variant of the F-16. I don't think LM has declared end-of-supported-life for any F-16 model used by any air force. So yes, it's possible.

That said, it's probably cheaper and faster to buy a used F-16 from the market. Norway just sold 32 F-16s last month to Romania.
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/norway- ... r-romania/

To answer your question super directly .. there are no impossible barriers to doing this. Given time and money, yes it could be done. Step one would be a very thorough inspection of airframe and documents to find out what's needed.

Dutchy

Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:41 am

we might see such a scenario to re-equip Ukraine's airforce in the not too distant future.

Spacepope

Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:08 pm

ssteve wrote:
QF-16 target drones are the replacement for QF-4. (The final USAF F-4 flight was a QF-4)

The QF-16 would have interesting possibilities for, uh, depletion of enemy air defenses, I've thought.

They WERE the replacement. Program has ended. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/s ... winds-down

The Navy is back in the F-16 game now, but they are taking F-16Cs retired by USAF units to replace F-5 agressors, so far they aren't pulling anything out of the boneyard. At least one has the new Have Glass V paintjob https://theaviationgeekclub.com/vfc-13- ... ng-falcon/

bennett123

Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:15 pm

You would need to decide if you were going to accept a small number of a given variant or try to bring them up to a common standard.

http://amarcexperience.com

https://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16

These sources are a good starting point.

IMO, anything at DM for 10 years plus is probably too far gone.

Mikenike

Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:11 pm

It is most definitely possible to salvage a small fleet of F-16s from Davis Monthan AFB. The biggest question is really how many you could get and in what condition. More than like a good chunck of airframes in storage at DM still have hours to spare on the airframe. You could very easily find replacement parts to anything you need, because DM has an absolutely massive amount of spare parts in storage, and a ridiculous amount still inside of their old airframes. Most of the aircraft stored there however are retired and either being used for parts or awaiting the scrapyard. I would also look at taking out a few of the F-15A's and early F-15E's that are stored there. It would provide a country with a relatively small number of older 4th gen jets, but when compared to the Russian offerings in late 3rd and early 4th gen fighters, I'll gladly take a smaller number of F-15's and F-16's if I were a country in need over a larger numerical offering of MiGs and Su's.

ThunderDome

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:42 pm

Take a look at the below link about bring a B-52H out of storage after 12 years. It is not a quick or cheap processes by any means.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retired ... rd-2020-12