Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adv40624
Topic Author

About 250 Boeing employees were working on Air Force One planes with expired security clearance, report says

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:11 am

Roughly 250 workers were reportedly allowed to work on presidential jets, as well as future versions of Air Force One, even after their top security clearances had expired for months, or sometimes even years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a ... f02a&ei=20

smokeybandit

Re: About 250 Boeing employees were working on Air Force One planes with expired security clearance, report says

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:49 am

Not overly surprising across all the cleared spaces

Re: About 250 Boeing employees were working on Air Force One planes with expired security clearance, report says

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:50 am

Article also states that the employees have had their clearances renewed and have returned to work, after a brief suspension.

F9Animal

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:57 am

adv40624 wrote:
Roughly 250 workers were reportedly allowed to work on presidential jets, as well as future versions of Air Force One, even after their top security clearances had expired for months, or sometimes even years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a ... f02a&ei=20

All the outsourcing is still biting Boeing on the behind. They never should have outsourced their security departments. When security was still in house, this would have never happened.

FLALEFTY

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 am

This discussion would seem to better fit the Military & Space category, I would think. These two Special Air Mission planes will be operated and maintained by the USAF (when Boeing gets its act together and finally delivers them).

cv5880

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm

Chairman Xi recently traveled to Moscow on an Air China VIP Boeing 747-800, the ROK has one for their Head of State, heck even Erdogen has one. Why is is taking us so long to get these planes modified? How many years has Boeing been 'working' on this project and when will they finally deliver?

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:20 pm

cv5880 wrote:
Chairman Xi recently traveled to Moscow on an Air China VIP Boeing 747-800, the ROK has one for their Head of State, heck even Erdogen has one. Why is is taking us so long to get these planes modified? How many years has Boeing been 'working' on this project and when will they finally deliver?

I don't think the USAF VC-25B is comparable to head of state aircraft for China, Korea or Turkiye. Boeing has had it's troubles on that project, but it's still far and away a more sophisticated aircraft. Plus the existing VC-25 are still flying, and they too are far more sophisticated than anything else in the sky.

RJMAZ

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:01 am

Over 100,000 employees at Boeing. 250 had expired clearances.

They fail to mention that it involves parts such as the aircraft kitchen. Having access to the dimensions of the kitchen doors and the sink is not a security risk.

The main reason we are seeing an increase in Boeing mistakes in the media is not because there is an increase in mistakes. This is a reputation war by the competition. The number one way to win sales against Boeing is to attack their reputation. Billions of dollars of orders are at play.

bikerthai

Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:38 am

F9Animal wrote:
All the outsourcing is still biting Boeing on the behind. They never should have outsourced their security departments. When security was still in house, this would have never happened.

Boeing security (outsourced) handles facilities security only. They do not handle personel clearances and other aspects of information security.

This episode probably reflect more on the turmoil or turn over in their internal staff responsible for clearances.

bt

F9Animal

Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:43 pm

bikerthai wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

Boeing security (outsourced) handles facilities security only. They do not handle personel clearances and other aspects of information security.

This episode probably reflect more on the turmoil or turn over in their internal staff responsible for clearances.

bt

I was hired by Boeing Security about 10 years before they got outsourced. I recall the background being insanely high. I needed to get a Yankee White clearance. I recall spending a few hours with dedicated background staff who were under the Boeing Security program. They definitely didn't outsource that work, and I am almost certain they were under the Security staff side of things.

I failed the background! My credit was not good, and apparently you have to have spotless credit, and a perfect background. I wasn't too bummed since the next day I was offered a job on the 737 line. Boeing Security was no joke either. Those guys and gals were some of the best, and took their jobs really serious. Sadly, after Boeing outsourced, the new guards were what you would expect from a cheap vendor. I assume Boeing outsourced the background check staff to the cheapest vendor too.

bikerthai

Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:29 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Those guys and gals were some of the best, and took their jobs really serious.

Agreed. The legacy security folks seemed to have been recruited form ex military or ex law enforcement with extensive experience.

The current contract security seemed to be lot younger and less experience. But costs a lot less though.

Wasn't the rash of outsourcing came after the merger with MD? Should we blame Stonecipher?

bt

Aesma

Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:28 pm

Is someone responsible for keeping security clearance validity records ?

RJMAZ wrote:
Over 100,000 employees at Boeing. 250 had expired clearances.

They fail to mention that it involves parts such as the aircraft kitchen. Having access to the dimensions of the kitchen doors and the sink is not a security risk.

The main reason we are seeing an increase in Boeing mistakes in the media is not because there is an increase in mistakes. This is a reputation war by the competition. The number one way to win sales against Boeing is to attack their reputation. Billions of dollars of orders are at play.

Putting spy devices in the kitchen isn't a security issue ?

bikerthai

Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 pm

Aesma wrote:
Putting spy devices in the kitchen isn't a security issue ?

These people were waiting for security renewal. So even if their clearance lapse, they were already cleared once. So the risk is low.

Recall some of the most notorious breach in security were from those with top secret clearance.

Also the article did not say who were waiting for the renewal, could be engineers, back office workers or mechanics. Mechanics are really the only one who could sneak stuff on board. And though Boeing QA sometimes get a bad rap, they should do a good job of detecting an unauthorized device on board.

Also, pretty sure the SS will do an electronic sweep when they get their hands on the plane

bt

ThePointblank

Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:13 pm

cv5880 wrote:

Because those were all purchased either as civilian aircraft and modified with a VIP suite, or were bought and built from the ground up as VIP aircraft though Boeing BBJ arm.

The USAF and Boeing are trying to extensively modify a pair of already built passenger aircraft for VIP use, including the provisioning of military hardware and communications systems.

Aesma

Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:21 pm

And the large kitchen, large fridge, medical center, defense capabilities...

F9Animal

Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:42 pm

bikerthai wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
Those guys and gals were some of the best, and took their jobs really serious.

Agreed. The legacy security folks seemed to have been recruited form ex military or ex law enforcement with extensive experience.

The current contract security seemed to be lot younger and less experience. But costs a lot less though.

Wasn't the rash of outsourcing came after the merger with MD? Should we blame Stonecipher?

bt

They outsourced the security program within the last 10 years or so, doubt Stonecipher was the culprit. But then again, these guys plan 20 years ahead. I get the savings, but I don't think the contract security has a team dedicated like Boeing had. Boeing even had a K-9 team. The training they offered was intense as well! I miss their own security team.

strfyr51

Sun May 14, 2023 4:43 am

F9Animal wrote:
bikerthai wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

bt

I was hired by Boeing Security about 10 years before they got outsourced. I recall the background being insanely high. I needed to get a Yankee White clearance. I recall , the Airforcespending a few hours with dedicated background staff who were under the Boeing Security program. They definitely didn't outsource that work, and I am almost certain they were under the Security staff side of things.

I failed the background! My credit was not good, and apparently you have to have spotless credit, and a perfect background. I wasn't too bummed since the next day I was offered a job on the 737 line. Boeing Security was no joke either. Those guys and gals were some of the best, and took their jobs really serious. Sadly, after Boeing outsourced, the new guards were what you would expect from a cheap vendor. I assume Boeing outsourced the background check staff to the cheapest vendor too.
Airforce proram office
while at United we had to replace a shorted windshield on AF1. we hadthe FAA to use one of our windshields and to honor the warranty we had to replace it and sign it off. It took 4 mechanics to replace the windshield. and the engineeringard windshields to keep the heater parts the same. I thought they were going to remove them and send them back when the plane got back to Andrews but they ordered us 2 brand new windshields in trade for the ones we installed for them. Just doing the signoff took longer than replacing th qae windshields by the time Our QA. the changed all 4 engines Airforce 1 program office and the FAA all got it straight and agreed to the signoff and the Engineering Variation authorization got cleared by the Air Force, FAA and United. we could have replaced all 4 engines in the time it took them to clear the paperwork. AND THEY ALL have their A&P licenses.. It would have been easier to just put the airplane in our Dock and let the Airforce do the windshield changes..