Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lax2000
Topic Author

Your Favorite US Cities

Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:14 am

My favorite US cities are:

New York: What can I say about this fab city that hasn't been said. I really can't say anything bad about NYC except Giuliani might turn it into a Universal City walk if he cleans it up any more.

Los Angeles: My hometown. You definitely need a car to enjoy what LA has too offer. For a big city it has a surprising amount of nature getaways. Griffith Park is the largest city park in the country. The beaches of Malibu are as beautiful as any. There is great food from South Central to East LA. The problem with most tourists experiences with LA is they go to Hollywood Blvd, Venice and Universal City Walk..Bleccchh!

Seattle and Portland: I like them both for similar reasons.
cool shops, coffee houses, bars, people, weather....

Chicago: good nightlife, good restaurants fun town. but too many sports bars!

Austin: Great food and bars, also great food!

Whats yours?

N863DA

RE: Your Favorite US Cities

Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:10 am

For me, the two most beautiful cities in the country are Atlanta and Savannah, with Charleston running a close third. Savannah also has some gorgeous Atlantic beaches.

Atlanta is the best city in the Union in terms of people and atmosphere, while Savannah is the smartest, cleanest and most attractive. The people in the whole of Georgia are the nicest to be found anywhere, in my opinion.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:15 am

Chicago, my kind of town...

TWFirst

Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:46 am

...my kind of town (too). Absolutely love it.

also really like:

Fort Lauderdale
Portland
Louisville
and of course, the Twin Cities
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

drerx7

Houston

Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:47 am

Houston is myfavorite, with San Diego, LA, san Francisco, Las Vegas, Austin, San Antonio, and Atlanta trailing.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

[email protected]

Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:49 am

Chicago - Big, busy, exciting, and something for everyone.
Washington D.C. - Quaint & European.
Pittsburgh - A surprisingly pretty & hilly city with a nice downtown.
New York - It's home.

Skyteam

Thu Jul 13, 2000 7:01 am

Atlanta: Mmy hometown, Very Modern, Clean, Big, and a lot of stuff to do!!!!!

Orlando: Lotsa stuff to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean, New, and it is currently where I live.

Houston: Big, Excellent Location, Exciting Nightlife, Clean, Modern!!!!!

Phoenix: The cleanest city I've ever been in, Great Weather, Modern!!!! Lotsa Golf!!!!!

Trvlr

Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:06 am

San Diego: America's Finest City, my hometown, becoming very modern, lots to do and a cozy little airport right next to downtown. And it's not just a military town anymore!

Chicago: My second-favorite city after S.D. Big, tons to do, downtown is great.

San Francisco: One of the most beautiful cities in the USA. Great downtown area, suburbs around Oakland and in Marin County it would be nice to live in IMO.

Aaron G.

blink182

Thu Jul 13, 2000 10:59 am

NYC-it's where i am meant to be!
san fransisco-I like it a lot but with all the hills,it gets me tired!
chicago-i have only seen it from an airplane and an AAdmirals club since i had to make a connection but from what i saw and what i have heard-it is a must go to.
dallas-it can be okay...if you like to shop(every designer,company etc has a store in dallas,it seems) and look at architecture-thats your place,it is more of a business city but it can be kinda pretty,they have more night clubs than any other city in the world! plus lots of single women!! but it is not a city for everybody though
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

blink182

Thu Jul 13, 2000 10:59 am

NYC-it's where i am meant to be!

san fransisco-I like it a lot but with all the hills,it gets me tired!

chicago-i have only seen it from an airplane and an AAdmirals club since i had to make a connection but from what i saw and what i have heard-it is a must go to.

dallas-it can be okay...if you like to shop(every designer,company etc has a store in dallas,it seems) and look at architecture-thats your place,it is more of a business city but it can be kinda pretty,they have more night clubs than any other city in the world! plus lots of single women!! but it is not a city for everybody though
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Thu Jul 13, 2000 11:38 am

Austin, without a doubt, is the coolest city in the country, followed closely by Lubbock, Honolulu, San Francisco, New York, Washington, D.C., and Dallas.

Skyteam

Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:12 pm

Atlanta, Because its got more Single girls than any city

Orlando, Do I need to describe???

Rich

Lindy

Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:27 pm

My favorite US city must be Phily, I like PHL airport, nice nigth clubs, but not many single girls.

Chicago is next. Nightlife there is cool, nice chicks, good strip joints. Nice girls.

Nashville. Nightlife kick asses there. But go-go clubs there suck big time. Nice girls. There is my favorite hotel in US Union Station Hotel.

NYC. Nightlife realy rocks. Excelent go-go clubs. Lot of nice girls. But dirty city.

Boston. Nice girls. I love Logan Airport. Never been to go-go clubs there so I cant tell you about them.

The worst US city must be Cleveland!!!! Nothing there, no nightlife, one dirty strip joint. Boring as hell!!!

Regards,
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:35 pm

The Big Apple Baby!
What can I say. Home to 7.7 million inhabitants (many of them crazy) is my hometown. New York really does have something for everyone (even with Guiliani's sanitizing white-washing of Times Square) its still the best place for me! Its really strange thought that the culture of most of us New Yorkers is to generally hate and complain about this city, how dirty, corrupt and polluted it is. Yet the population has not dipped under 7 million in over fifty years.

Washington, DC.
The nation's capital is hot. It has a nice mix of northern hub bub and southern gentility. And Washington has the sexiest, smartest and most well-rounded African Americans of any city. I love DC. The streets are raggedy but so are New York's.

Atlanta and Chicago run a big third. Because I was an Urban Studies major in college the Chicago School of City Planning is the absolute bomb in what a city should look like. From the dense fierce skyscrapers of The Loop to the well laid out city and suburbs. Perfect looking!

Atlanta is just the south and I love it. I grew up and lived most of my life in the south and to have a city that has all the qualities of southern living (i.e.-the friendly people, the slower pace of life, warmer weather all year round) is just what I like. And Atlanta also has a strong black middle-class. Plus its quite urban and dynamic/

Miami is just wonderful. 80 degree weather in December. I love it and just for that I must make it one of my top five.

I'm sorry that I only mentioned East coast (with the exception of Chicago) locales but its something about my proximity to the Atlantic ocean that I really like.

777YYC

Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:42 pm

Minneappolis/St. Paul, Portland[Oregon]and Seattle.
I can't say a whole lot since I've only been to nine states.

RE: Lindy

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:06 pm

If you're looking for strip joints go to Las Vegas or North Las Vegas. There are also quite a few good joints in the San Diego area and I think also Phoenix. If it's a military town you'll find many, but there's a few that's no good especially by Camp Pendleton in CA...Go to Vegas!
Personally, I haven't been to one lately...I lose money, that's it.  

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:14 pm

i my most favourite US city would definatly have to be winnipeg, in the state of canada

VirginA340

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:31 pm

New York City
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington DC
"FUIMUS"

Louis

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:46 pm

New York City
This is the best city in the world. New York has absoutely EVERYTHING you could ever want. Probably the best nightlife in the world, best diversity, incredible women, amazing public transportation system, awesome airports...you name it, this city has it all. I just love the essence of New York. It is THE major city of the world. The UN is located there for good reason. The culture, the vibarance, the list just goes on. There's life on every corner. New York isn't America, it's New York and there's only one New York. It's amazing because one moment you think you're in Greece, the next in Korea, well you get the idea... I was on the N-train platform a month ago and I was looking at the buildings and it totally reminded me of Europe, especially Athens. New York is more of a European city than an American one. It's a very liberal city and it's tailor made for me. I'm trying desperately to move there. My only gripes are the weather and the cost of living. The weather can get muggy, but it beats the hell out of the weather in Canada. And it's sooooo expensive to live there. I just wonder how people survive with those outrageous rents! Still, I think it's well worth it for what the city offers. New York is the only city I could live in and be happy...or maybe Rio de Janeiro.

Washington, D.C.
My hometown, though I don't live there anymore. It has such history and it is the Nation's capital, which speaks for itself. I think it's the best city in America for museums. Too bad Marion Berry messed things up.

Chicago
I like Chicago. It's sort of like a mini version of New York. Lots of diversity, culture, outdoor activities, an awesome airport and excellent public transportation. I've never been there in the winter, though, which I hear can be miserable.

Miami
The weather speaks for itself.

Los Angeles
Never been there, but would love to go. I hear varying stories about it, but I think I'd like it. Only problem is you need to drive everywhere and I hate driving.

Louis

RE: To Add Something Else...

Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:48 pm

Houston and Dallas are starting to appeal to me though. Been to Dallas and wasn't that impressed, but I hear it's really taken off since then. Houston will be the place to be if Bush gets elected.

chris28_17

Thu Jul 13, 2000 3:10 pm

CHICAGO and HONOLULU!!!!

i live near chicago and i always can find somthing to do and it doesnt cost much at all to spend a day doing something... and the women are fantastic

Honolulu.. what can i say? its Hawaii!!!!

CHRIS

Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:03 pm

PHILADELPHIA - a must see !!!

PHOENIX - very nice

NEW YORK CITY - always impressing

LOS ANGELES + SAN FRANCISCO - pretty nice too

SAN DIEGO - beautiful !!

RE: Louis

Thu Jul 13, 2000 10:11 pm

How will Houston be the place to be if Bush is elected???? He used to live in Dallas and does live in Austin.

Houston is just one big traffic jam.

Skyteam

Fri Jul 14, 2000 3:15 am

I went to New York in 1992, But I didnt like it that much. It just wasnt my style, and the Climate was bad. Has NYC cleaned up since then?

SKYTEAM

Louis

RE: Texasairport

Fri Jul 14, 2000 5:01 am

My bad. I thought he was from Houston. I've never been to Houston, myself, but I heard nothing but good things about it.

Skyteam

Sat Jul 15, 2000 11:55 am

Believe it, or not, Nashville is actually a cool city, Lotsa stuff to do, Lotsa history, and sports!!!!!

SKYTEAM

Sat Jul 15, 2000 5:00 pm

Best...
1. NYC
2. San Francisco
3. Miami/South Beach
4. Portland, Oregon
5. Honolulu

Worst....LA by far!!!

Skyteam

Sun Jul 16, 2000 12:28 am

L.A. is wayyyyy better than NYC

SKYTEAM

ATA757

Indianapolis

Sun Jul 16, 2000 12:45 am

I N D I A N A P O L I S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Indianapolis is a great midwestern city that is on the boom!!! Known by many of the politics as the "World-Class City"!!! The NCAA just moved their world headquarters here last year!!! We have a canal just west of downtown (as to be compared to the BOARDWALK in San Antonio!!! Not to mention the new Victory Field for our 1st place Indianapolis Indians (AAA- baseball)!!! The new Conseco Fieldhouse, home of the NBA finalists and Eastern Conference Champions, also home of the Indiana Fever (WNBA), Indianapolis Ice (IHL-hockey) who won the IHL cup this year (IHL Champs), and also the Indiana Twisters (indoor soccer)!!! And the RCA (Hoosier) Dome home of the reining AFC East Champion COLTS!!! The tallest building is the BankOne Building (56 stories)!!! It is supposedly to be 3rd tallest within the next 10 years...as AUL plans to structure two twin 70 story buildings on downtown's near NW side!!!

This statement from NBA Center Patrick Ewing:

~~~"This city (Indianapolis) is no longer nap-town, I tell you, it's on the move, now! It also has a skyline, as never noticed before!!!

Other large cities include:

Anchorage
Chicago
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Fort Wayne
Jackson
Memphis
Milwaukee
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Nashville
New Orleans
Orlando
Seattle
Tampa

Small cities include:

Anderson, IN
Bowling Green, KY
Bradenton, FL
Evansville, IN
Huntsville, AL
Monroe, LA
South Bend, IN

ATA757

Skyteam

RE: Indianapolis

Sun Jul 16, 2000 4:24 am

I have never been to Indianapolis, But I've heard nothing but good things about it!!!!! I am a Pacers fan, and I would love to go see Conseco Fieldhouse, and The RCA Dome, The Hoosier Dome, and Indianapolis Motor Speedway !!! Indianapolis has a great future ahead of them!!!

SKYTEAM

drerx7

Texairport

Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:12 am

Houston-one big traffic jam? Dallas does not exactly pride itself on lack of traffic pal. Houston has many of the problems a big city has, but the benefits too. We are the 4th largest city by population and the 3rd by area. Too bad San Antonio passed up Dallas as 2nd largest city in Texas.

Also-I can see you liking Austin-but Lubbock? Lubbock is the most boring place I have ever been to in my life.

Former President Bush lives here in Houston--not Governor Bush.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Newark Or Detroit

Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:49 am

Touch choice but I would have to say either Newark or Detroit

Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:30 pm

New York (Tied for #1)
Atlanta (Tied for #1)
Cincinatti
Tampa Bay
Chicago (even though I have never been there)

jonnyboy

Fri Jul 21, 2000 8:41 am

It is blatantly obvious to anyone who has been to New York it is the best city in the US, if not the world (on a par with London, Paris)

San Francisco is the only other city that i've been to that has any kind of charcter. My pick of the rest would be Boston. It is also not too far from New York.

Anywhere you go, you can find enough to do for a week or so, but who can honestly tell the difference between a photo of Atlanta, Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia. They're all pretty bland. I'm sure they're fine to live in and you are all happy, but c'mon, you gotta live in a world city like New York.

LA, Miami and New Orleans are bearable.

Thats my opinion