Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

drerx7
Topic Author

2012 Olympics Which City?

Sat Jul 15, 2000 1:47 am

Out of the Cities bidding for the 2012 Olympics, which city should the US pic to bid against the worldwide one:

Here are the bidders:
Houston
Dallas
Cincinatti
New York
Los Angeles
Tampa/Orlando
Washington/Baltimore
San Francisco

And think there are a couple of more-but those are off of the top of my head.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

ctbarnes

RE: 2012 Olympics Which City?

Sat Jul 15, 2000 1:54 am

Where's the 2004 Olympics being held? I think I heard somewhere they will be in Athens, but I'm not sure...

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Sat Jul 15, 2000 2:42 am

I vote for Dallas, they have already begun preparing sights for the events, either using existing sights, refurbishing existing sights, or building new ones (tear down the Cotton Bowl and build new Olympic Stadium). Also, the infrastructure is in place or will be by 2012 to get people there and around town. Dallas did well with the World Cup and there is community support behind the event. Also expect a late Olympics, like Sydney's, for both Houston and Dallas because of the miserable heat.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/othersp/2012/olyfront.htm

Charles, Athens will have 2004 Olympics

travelin man

Sat Jul 15, 2000 3:32 am

Los Angeles already has the facilities and the Olympic experience (with 2 Olympics already under the belt). The 1984 Olympics are generally credited with reviving the entire Olympic movement after disastrous games in Montreal and Moscow. It is true: LA was the only bidder for the 1984 games (I believe Denver backed out). After the '84 Olympics, suddenly bidding wars began over the games. (Just a history lesson).

Anyway, LA's Olympic facilities are already in place (with the Staples Center adding another possible venue). You wouldn't even have to move the Games out of Summer in LA! The weather here is about 80 degrees (not 100 degrees and humid, like other locations). Besides, surfing is now an official Olympic sport. Where will you surf in Dallas?

Personally, I think there is no way the U.S. will be awarded games so soon after Atlanta '96 and SLC '02. Maybe 2016.

drerx7
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2000 3:41 am

My biased vote goes to Houston. We already have the venues in place and underused airports. With light rail coming online we will have the infrastructure to support the games. As the most underrated city in the nation (4th Largest), it needs the exposure.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Skyteam

Sun Jul 16, 2000 9:32 am

I Agree wit Drerx7, My vote goes to Houston also. Houston has plenty of room, Plenty of sites, and the weather is sunny!!! I get tired of people under-rating Houston. Houston is one of the best cities in the world, So they should be held in Houston.

SKYTEAM

Skyteam

Sun Jul 16, 2000 9:33 am

Lets pray they dont go to New York, or Baltimore.

SKYTEAM

AC_A340

Sun Jul 16, 2000 10:45 am

I think they should be in a Canadian city. (I'm biased)Vancouver seems like a good place. It doesn't get overly hot, It's right on the ocean, easy connections to the rest of the world by both air and sea, and it has the population to support it.

Sun Jul 16, 2000 11:11 am

The city with the best chance is the one that can afford to give the biggest bribe...

redngold

Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:45 am

The 2012 Olympics will be Summer Games. Therefore my criticisms are based on summer and fall season situations.

Houston -- too hot, humid and buggy for a good venue

Dallas -- maybe OK

Cincinnati -- Hey I'm from Ohio; I could deal with that! We might even have some of the venues up here in Cleveland  

New York -- (I assume you're talking about New York City) too crowded already, no room to build an Olympic park or village unless it's actually out on Long Island, in New Jersey, or at least an hour upstate in the Catskills or Taconic Mts. Remember, Lake Placid NY already had two Winter Games (1932? and 1980)

Los Angeles -- same as New York, and L.A.'s already had the Olympics twice (1932? and 1984)

Tampa/Orlando -- Some of the venues for the 2000 (Atlanta) Games were there. I think they still have room to build venues, but there would be a lot of controversy over spoilage of environment during construction (remember the Kissimmee River! It was destroyed by culverting/diversion during the buildup of the area!). It's already crowded by tourists so I don't know how much more headache the area could take.

Washington/Baltimore -- believe it or not, some of the 2000 (Atlanta) Games venues were this far north! I'm not sure the Federal Government would be happy with the influx of foreigners in the area given security concerns.
There are some beautiful areas in Virginia and Maryland which would make great venues, if they aren't spoiled in the process of construction. Could you imagine white-water kayaking, canoeing, and crew on the Potomac and Cumberland Rivers?  

San Francisco -- might be nice

My suggestion:

Buffalo, NY/Niagara Falls, ON (a true International Olympics) -- just a really nice location. Already has good hotel facilities.

Minneapolis, MN -- why not the Northern tier? Lots of lakes for water sports. Location of Northwest Airlines's hub, would be easy to reach for Asian and European athletes, via Northwest and KLM.

Kansas City, MO -- why not the Midwest? During the early fall the threat of bad weather lessens. Besides, KCMO is not really in Tornado Alley.

Albuquerque, NM -- why not the Southwest? "Dry heat" in the early fall, not bad weather (what weather?). Sandia Mountains and Rockies within short distance. Water sports could be held at the University of New Mexico and on the Rio Grande (which would give NM good reason to clean up the river!)

redngold
Up, up and away!

travelin man

RE: AC_A340

Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:01 am

Actually, I believe I read that the two cities that lead in the contention for the 2012 games are Toronto and Beijing. Or maybe it was for the 2008 games. I'm not sure.

Redngold,
Albuquerque? Buffalo? Kansas City? That's pretty funny!   You have to have a BIG infrastructure to host the games. None of these cities even has the beginnings of such an infrastructure! Besides, even though LA has hosted the games twice, they were excellent! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! And, by the way, LA is not New York, we have the space to build stuff. We just don't need to because everything is already built!

johnboy

Sun Jul 23, 2000 8:52 pm

It's my understanding that the IOC specifically told the US Olympic Committee to wait until 2012 to bid for a Summer Games. So that makes one think that by 2012, it'll be America's turn again. Of course these are just US cities. Toronto may win over all. Beijing, in my view, will get the 2008 Games.

I physically shudder at the thought of Dallas, Houston or Cincinnati (the first two --- HHH heat,humidity, and Hell; the latter --come on, Censornatti?) These would have to be called the Late Autumn Games if you waited until it was comfortable outside.

LA: let's not be Olympic hogs now, okay?

Tampa Bay -- (see Dallas and Houston)

Baltimore/Washington -- not bad

NYC -- ri-i-i-ight.....

San Francisco Bay Area -- this is the place where they all want to come. No chance of rain, extraordinary choice of topography, no humidity, cosmopolitan. This is my pick!

For 2016, I'll choose Cape Town, South Africa.

SVG

Sun Jul 23, 2000 9:19 pm

I don't think that the US will get the Olympics again in a long time. Atlanta 1996 was a one the worst Olympics ever, and Salt Lake City is already a big scandal.

redngold

Travelin Man

Wed Jul 26, 2000 8:56 am

Sorry to drag this back up, but in the hopes of giving a response to Travelin Man:

The site in France for the 1992 Games (I can't believe I can't remember the name!) and Lillehammer both had to build infrastructure from scratch. Atlanta didn't have a the greatest infrastructure, and without the Mormon Church being involved, SLC would never be able to have the infrastructure, either (Don't try to deny that the Mormons weren't/aren't involved in the SLC Games!)
Up, up and away!

Wed Jul 26, 2000 9:10 am

Albertville, France held the 1992 Winter Games

Dallas is very tolerable in early autumn, you don't have to host the games July and August.

Dallas will also be mostly privately funded, all the way down to the new venues including a new Cotton Bowl/Olympic Stadiuma and possibly a new Texas Stadium.

What progress have the other bid cities made for the Olympics? I never hear anything about it in NY.

http://dallasnews.com/sports_day/olympics/113739_olympics.html

tupolev154b2

Thu Jul 27, 2000 1:26 pm

If there were Winter Olympics in 1992 then why were they held again in 1994? Was it so that they could begin the cycle of having Olympics every one and half years?

Marco

RE: Travelin Man

Sun Jul 30, 2000 11:54 pm

Hi,

I think a Canadian city should be chosen, because I've noticed that as soon as the olympics are held somewhere, the economy of that place picks up, and of course improvements to the infrastructure are made, Montreal needs this. I love Montreal and consider it my home town, however the darned party quebecois have ruined its economy, idiots!Toronto doesn't need it, its a booming city. However I wouldn't mind it being held in Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary!

Regards,
Marco
Proud to be an Assyrian!

SVG

Mon Jul 31, 2000 5:14 am

You are right Tupolev154B2. Before 1994 the Winter Olympics and the Summer Olympics were held on the same year. The IOC wanted to change this and therefore the Winter Olympics were held in both 1992 and 1994.

navman

I Suggest...

Wed Aug 02, 2000 12:16 pm

I suggest , Mexico city