Sydney 2000

Thu Aug 31, 2000 3:39 am

It's a few weeks out from the opening ceremony of the Sydney 2000 olympics games. Workmen accross this great city are putting the finishing touches on everything to make sure the city shines even more than it already does come September 16! Already the worlds greatest atheletes have started arriving, along with families, friends and of course the media.

I would like to know what my airliner.net friends think of Sydney and if any are attending our Olympic games. Has Sydney and the games been recieving worldwide media coverage?

mb

RE: Sydney 2000

Fri Sep 01, 2000 4:48 am

Gee,

No-one has responded to my post. Is this a personal reflection, or a reflection of what people think of Sydney?

mb

harvey

Fri Sep 01, 2000 9:25 am

Hey Mx5 boy, the reason everyone has ignored your post is because these olympics have been crammed down our ( the australian public) for almost 4 years now and everyone is fed up with the crap. If I have to turn the news on 1 more time and get an update where the stupid torch is, I'll sream!! The sooner they're over the better!!!

Fri Sep 01, 2000 10:43 am

Harvey,

Sorry you feel that way. I must admit I have been sick to death of hearing about it, but if you live in Sydney and take a look around the city - you can't help but notice something big is about to happen. And it's a little exciting.

However, my post was more directed at non-Australian users. Perhaps they are sick to death of hearing about it as well? Please tell me. Any comments at all?

mb

airbus60

Fri Sep 01, 2000 10:43 am

Yeah hows it goin?

I'm going to see some of the olympic soccer games at hindmarsh stadium, in Adelaide. Fuck Sydney, it's too expensive. I know someone who has spent $3000 on olympic tickets. And thats the truth, he also is paying for accomidation, and air fares. We got the soccer tickets free from my dads work, so we were lucky.

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:49 am

For everyone who is not interested....

TWO DAYS TO GO!!!

*yay*

mb

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:58 am

I cant wait to see who will win the Mens Basketball!!!!!!!

LOL, how many years straight has USA won and what was the point margin, something like 60?  

polaris

Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:09 am

We've been getting a lot of Sydney and Australia coverage in Canada. Every night two national networks (CBC & CTV) have been airing segments about Australia as part of the National News. Discovery Channel Canada is carrying two weeks of "Discovery Down Under" programming during the Olympics.

CBC (English) and SRC (French) along with TSN-The Sports Network (English) and RDS-Reseau des Sports (French) are carrying complete Olympic coverage from open to close. They have already given much coverage to all aspects of the Sydney Olympics. CBC has also been airing a very good satire about the Olympics. The title escapes me at this time. I'll have to check the TV Guide. It might be an Australian production.

The Toronto Star had an article entitled "Tinnies, pokies, footy: Australia explained" on page one and continued with "Bare Facts About Down Under (but better crack a tinnie first)" on the next page. Interesting article. You might want to try the Toronto Star website thestar.com for details.

A friend of mine is taking Friday off so he can watch the opening ceremonies. He's a huge Olivia Newton-John fan. The opening ceremonies air at 2:45AM or 3:45AM here and they will be repeated Friday afternoon. I'm taping them and having people over to watch on Friday evening. We'll be having Australian wine. I'm looking forward to them!

Be sure to watch for the Canadian team! They'll be wearing Roots Canada gear!

Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:38 am

I'll be keeping an eye out for the Canadian Team! I checked out thestar.com and there is tonnes of stuff about Sydney 2000. Great publicity!

What's this "fibreglass moose" that your mayor wants to show Sydney people?

The new road rules and closures started today and as I drive to the City every day (6km from my home in the Inner West) and park at the Opera House carpark the traffic has been sensational! Less traffic than normal!

mb

Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:34 am

OK everyone, when they show Circular Quay, and all the hordes of people down there, the big blue glass building is the one I work in "Gateway". I am near the window and can see the two big screens down there.

I am going to stick on the window of my office "G'Day Airliners.net!!" in big black letters on white paper. So if anyone see's this let me know!!

mb

Wed Sep 13, 2000 7:51 am

OK, get this guys.

Most of you know that I love sport, and I have waited 7 seven very long years for this to come around. BUT, and this is a big BUT; Fox 8 during the duration of the Olympics will be running non-stop 24 hours a day Simpsons. Woohoo!!

I have some real tough choices to make by the looks of it, but I think in the end the Olympics will definitely win out. Doh!

Cheers

Scotty

Neo

Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:33 am

Mx5_boy:

First of all, Sydney is perfect for the olympics, i love this city. I mean, i am from Brazil, and i never had a chance to go to Sydney, but from everything that i know and watch in television, this games are going to be remarkable.

Here in Brazil the media coverage will be very good. The games will be broadcast by "GLOBO", which is the largest tv network in Latin America, and Bandeirantes, another Brazilian network.

Because of the difference of time, the games will go on here at night.... all the way through morning. That's kind of sad 'cause it won't allow most of the people to watch the games.

Anyway, you asked me what do i think about Sydney, i think it is one of the world's most beautiful cities and i would definetly live there if i had a chance to.

Talking about our hopes in Sydney , we're really looking forward for the gold medal in soccer, beach volleyball, tennis, women's volleyball, iatism and a few other that i can't remember right now!!!

So if you remember, take a look at the brazilian team also........

Best Regards

Neo

RE: DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:46 am

Apparently, you've forgotten Seoul 1988. U.S. lost to the Soviets in the semis. That was the John Thompson coached team that couldn't shoot (Hersey Hawkins was injured)...Got beat by Arvidas Sabonis and Co. I guess that was payback for the 1980 hockey victory over the U.S.S.R.

Can you name other players on that team?

polaris

Thu Sep 14, 2000 8:09 am

Mx5 - I'll be looking for your building!

Toronto has a "Moose in the City" thing going on this year. There are nearly 400 fibreglass moose scattered around the city. Each is sponsored by a group or company. There's a rainbow moose in one part of the city, an executive moose in another, a tourist moose at the airport...you see what I mean? Our company has one called "Is That Your Final Antler?". Toronto is bidding for the 2008 Olympics and the mayor decided to take a moose with him to Sydney.

RE: Opening Ceremony

Thu Sep 14, 2000 8:14 am

By Paul Majendie
SYDNEY, Sept 13 (Reuters) - G'day to the world.
With that typically exuberant greeting, Australia launches the first Olympics of the new millennium on Friday.
Almost everyone on the planet with a television will be tuned into the extravaganza -- a staggering 3.7 billion viewers are expected to watch the Games over the action-packed 17 days.
"It will be the most extraordinary ceremony ever to open the Olympic Games," said master of ceremonies Ric Birch, who launched the Atlanta and Barcelona Olympics with the same panache.
Sydney hosts an Olympics that will see North and South Korea marching under the same flag and East Timor's tiny team of four athletes set for one of the biggest cheers of the night. For sport at its best can act as a great political healer.
But the opening ceremony is pure showbusiness, the perfect global platform for sports-mad Australia to show off its culture to the world in a 110,000-seat stadium that could fit four jumbo jets side by side under its soaring arches.
Birch has promised to spare the blushes of Australians who cringed with embarrassment at the end of the Atlanta Olympics when inflatable kangaroos on bicycles trundled into the stadium to herald the Sydney Games.

CRAZY, FABULOUS
Eager to avoid koala bear and kangaroo stereotypes, he said: "You'll be blown away. You'll think what a crazy and fabulous country."
The pageant will have 12,700 performers and a 2,000-strong marching band.
With theme music swelling up from the film "Man From Snowy River", Crocodile Dundee star Paul Hogan will join a cast of 100 stockmen sweeping into the stadium for a stunning display of formation riding and a rousing chorus of "G'day".
The aboriginal culture of Australia's indigenous people who arrived 40,000 years before the white man will not be forgotten -- an Aborigine girl will appear to float onto the stage for a "Deep Sea Dreaming" sequence.
Olivia Newton-John, who set John Travolta's pulse racing back in the Seventies musical "Grease", is due to join fellow Australian star John Farnham for a "Dare to Dream" duet.
"I have sung for the Pope and President Bill Clinton...and now the Olympics," said the 52-year-old star. "This is by far the biggest thing I have ever done."
Tina Arena, starring in London in the musical "Notre Dame De Paris", will wrap up the extravaganza with her rendition of "The Flame".
Muhammad Ali, one of the best loved sportsmen of the 20th century, electrified the world in Atlanta as he shakily lent forward to light the Olympic flame.
Sydney could provide another emotional highlight with Australian Olympic heroine Betty Cuthbert, now wheelchair-bound with multiple sclerosis, the favourite to light the cauldron. Swimming legend Dawn Fraser is also hotly tipped.
Who gets the honour will be kept secret right up to the last minute.
"I am glad people thought it might be me," Cuthbert, a triple gold medal winner at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, told reporters.
Asked for her best guess on the most closely guarded secret of the Games, she cheekily replied: "Me."

VirginLover

Thu Sep 14, 2000 9:53 am

What I'm angry about:

1. Don't get to see some events because of school (where as normally, I'd be on vacation)

2. They're not gonna show the Badminton events

3. It already started.. and they're playing games already and we haven't even seen the opening ceremony!

Everything else, I'm good with D

GO OLYMPICS!

Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:02 pm

Well today is the last day before the opening ceremony and the day the torch comes to the city. There are thousands of people everywhere, particularly down where I work. The atmosphere is absoulety fantastic and Sydney has put on a perfect warm spring day.

It makes you feel like you are truly in the best city in the world right now. Everything is polished and everyone has a smile!

mb

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:22 pm

CstarU- Still, my point stands. The USA has won 92, 96 and is a lock to win this year. In international competition outside the Olympics, the US has dominated. No team can win all the time, but the US has A LOT in basketball. BTW, i was 3 in the summer of 88.

RE: DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:33 pm

How could the US have beaten the CCCP in 1980, when the US boycotted the Moscow Games due to the Soviet *invasion* of Afghanistan?

Or are you talking of competition outside the Olympics?

Cheers

Scotty

Thu Sep 14, 2000 2:06 pm

Howdy MB

One of the major highlights of the Opening Ceremony will most definitely, as the article points out, East Timor's first games. One of the 4 East Timorese Olympians is a boxer, so let's just hope he doesn't meet an Indonesian boxer in competition, coz he may just kill him. We don't want a repeat of the 1956 Melbourne Olympics where an all-in brawl during the water polo final between Hungary and the USSR occurred.

Have you been watching any of the doco's that have been on in the last few days? There have been some great ones about the 1956 Olympics on. It was good seeing how styles in competition have changed over the last 50 years. One need only look at events like the high jump back then to see how things have changed.

Also, just heard on the radio that Dawn Fraser has been invited to sit with Samaranch during the O.C, so this would pretty much count her out to light the flame. So it looks like it will be The Golden Girl who lights the flame after all....I can't think of anyone else who might take that honour.

Cheers

Scotty

Thu Sep 14, 2000 2:13 pm

Rob deCastella, my favorite Australian athlete.  

BTW, The US beat the Soviets in hockey during the 1980 Winter Games. The U.S. boycotted the 1980 Summer Games and the Soviets reciprocated by boycotting the 1984 Summer Games in L.A..

Thu Sep 14, 2000 8:56 pm

HAPPY OLYMPICS EVERYONE!!!!!!

Live from sunny Sydney it is now less than 24 hours to go till the biggest even in our beautiful city's history is about to begin.

You should feel the vibe in the city at the moment - it is like New years Eve every day! I love it!

I got my tickets today, I am off to see the Men's Long-Jump, Womens 100m Hurdles and the Women's discus.

Cant wait!

I hope you all enjoy the games and especially the Opening Ceremony. We are certainly all very proud of our city, arguably the most beautifull city in the world.

Cheers!

O O O
O O

polaris

Fri Sep 15, 2000 4:11 am

The opening ceremonies are less than 12 hours away! Let me take this opportunity to extend our best wishes to our Australian friends as they host the world!! The opening ceremonies telecast begins at 3:45AM Friday morning Toronto time (Sydney is +15 hours from our time). I'll tape them and watch them Friday night with my bottle of Australian wine! Let the ceremonies begin!! "I now declare open..."

TWFirst

Fri Sep 15, 2000 4:20 am

I can't wait to hear the Olympic theme played during the NBC telecast. I love that piece of music. You know, the one that begins with the timpanist pouding:

dum... dum dum dum... dum
dum... dum dum dum... dum

and then the brass comes in and starts the melody.

:DD
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

TWFirst

Fri Sep 15, 2000 4:24 am

That should be "pounding", not "pouding".

And my little icon thingie didn't work. Let me try it again:

D

Fri Sep 15, 2000 8:58 am

Thanks guys for your positive posts! You really have to be here to feel the incredible vibe. XQF put it perfectly, just like NYE every day, and anyone who has ever had the opportunity to be in Sydney for NYE knows how this city loves to party and party HARD!

Last night saw the torch arrive in the CDB and travel around to the Town Hall. Incredible sights of all the people who travelled to the city to see it and some of our best sportmen & women carry the torch for various legs.

I had to leave the city at 4pm due to simply having to get my car out of the carpark before they shut city streets. I have a 1 metre Aussie flag flying from the back of my convertible and when I passed town hall yesterday a whole lot of people waved and cheered me, such is the spirit here at the moment!

*yay* Sydney - 2000 6 hours to go.

mb

Fri Sep 15, 2000 9:41 pm

go cuba, mexico and canada

QF1

Fri Sep 15, 2000 9:45 pm

The opening ceremony was absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!!
Oi,Oi,Oi!!!!!

Fri Sep 15, 2000 9:50 pm

The opening ceremony blew me away! for those of you in time zones that havent seen it yet, i wont spoil the surprise.......suffice to say, wait till you see the lighting of the cauldron...it will blow you away too! By far the best in Olympic history!

Good luck to every team

C'MON AUSSIE, C'MON!

Trvlr

Fri Sep 15, 2000 11:13 pm

Lucky Aussies!!! Us here in America have to see it tonight OUR TIME on NBC (about an entire day's delay) which will probably flood the entire program with commercials!!!

I wish I could be there.

Aaron G.

Fri Sep 15, 2000 11:56 pm

The opening was great. I just thought I´d watch it for a short while during my lunch-break, but then it turned out that it was a brilliant show and all over sudden I spend all noon watching it. Really impressing.
And who is this 100% woman Tina Arena.....? I haven´t heard about her before but she is........ 8-)

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:10 am

Check out www.sonymusic.com.au and you can find out about her, rgds
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:20 am

Howdy everyone

As XQF said, the opening ceremony blew me away too.

What do you think were the highlights of the o.c? I had a few including:

1) The joining together of North and South Korea under a single team and marching together under a common flag. This is awe-inspiring that two *countries* can put aside 50 years of high tensions and fighting and come together as one people;

which leads me on to

2) The Aboriginal part of the ceremony. For me personally, it has made me understand the Aboriginal culture a bit more, and I am sure the same for most Aussies. Maybe with this white and black Australia can come together as one people. We have come a long, long way and it is too late to go back now.

and

3) The four athletes from East Timor competing for the first time. As those four athletes came out the whole stadium erupted with applause, and it really was felt here in Perth. I thought it was fitting that they came out right before Australia; it was like saying to the East Timorese, yes you are your own nation, go ahead and the Aussies will be right behind you.

Did anyone else feel the same thing or is it just that I really am caught up in the spectacle?

Just spewing I couldn't get a seat over when AN and QF announced cheapo fares from PER two weeks ago.

It is just great that now that the Opening Ceremony has been and gone that we can finally brush aside all the grumblings and politics, and get down to watching the best the world has to offer compete.

Anyway, good luck to all the teams

Cheers

Scotty

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE...............

polaris

Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:11 am

Well...I still haven't seen the opening ceremonies! This morning, our time, I saw Peru through Poland enter the stadium but that's about it. I had to come to work. I taped the ceremonies and am looking forward to watching everything tonight!

Brissie_lions: one of our local newspapers had an article on Thursday about some of the participating teams. They mentioned specifically the participation and politics of North/South Korea and East Timor. Interesting article. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing them enter the stadium...of course, this is all old hat for most of you!

TWFirst

Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:18 am

Tina Arena sang on Donna Summer's latest live album. Did "Enough is Enough" duet with Donna. Awesome.

Sat Sep 16, 2000 7:59 am

I totally agree Scotty! Was i the only one who sat there for most of the opening ceremony with goose-bumps and tears in my eyes?? (or am just a big wuss )

I think for me, the lighting of the cauldron was the showstopper. But everything else was fantastic too. It was SO Australian, with a definate air of humour in there too (the lawn mowers!  )

I have never felt so proud to be Australian!

We welcome the world to our home and hope you all enjoy!

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE.....OI! OI! OI!

Cheers!

O O O
.O O

Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:07 am

So G...you watching it today or what mate?

We are a good chance to take 1-2-3 in the women's triathlon....what a way to start our campaign with a haul like that.

Scotty

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:32 am

US will kick butt, as always, thats why the olympics can get to be boring, US wins all the exciting events, like basketball, 100m dash, 200m dash, 400m dash, swimming, etc. I must admit that them kenyans cant be beat when it comes to long distance running, tho.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 16, 2000 9:08 am

You are dilusional right?

The US always wins the swimming?

Have you not heard of Kieren Perkins, Grant Hackett, Ian Thorpe, Susie O'Neill, Hayley Lewis, Matty Dunn, Michael Klim.

The Aussies absolutely make the Yanks piss in the pool.

Kathy Freeman is a dead certain for the women's 400m.

Also the Kenyans will get a good run for their money from athletes from Algeria, Morocco and Ethiopia. It really is anyone's guess with this.

Sat Sep 16, 2000 9:46 am

Scotty, gotta be quick! Cant miss anything.......i am loving it.........what about Thorpedo getting the OR in the 400m heats.........yes!  Stick that in your yankee doodle pipes and smoke it!!!   hehehe

GO AUSSIE!

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sat Sep 16, 2000 9:55 am

brissie, you heard of Amy Van Dyke? Marion Jones is the possibly the best track and field athlete in the world. Michael Johnson or Maurice Greene will win the 100m and 200m. I needn't mention Kevin Garnett, Antonio McDyess, Vince Carter, Vin Baker, Ray Allen or any of the other members of the US Dream Team, I am sure you will be hearing their names plenty of times over the course of the Olympics. I should also mention that the Americans hold the record for the 100m backstroke (mens and womens), 100m fly (mens and womens), 200m breastroke (mens and womens), 50m free (mens and womens). Oh I havent heard of any of the Australians you mentioned.

RE: DeltaRNOmd80

Sat Sep 16, 2000 10:07 am

Yeah, and I havent heard of any of the names you mentioned   

Maybe you have heard of Cathy Freeman by now (she lit the flame) ???? Or Luke Longley, Andrew Gaze (he carried the flag)

GO AUSSIE!

DeltaRNOmd-80

Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:17 am

yes, I have heard of Cathy Freeman now, she is aboriginal. And I have heard of Ian Thorpe now. Brooke Bennet and Tom Dolan should do some good in Swimming. I am sorry to say this, XQF, but you cant even spell your own countrymans name right   his name is Luc Longley, not Luke Longley, I am ashamed!

Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:29 am

His real name is Lucien, but it doesn't matter because he's probably the worst seven footer in the NBA. Anyone can play well behind MJ, look at Scottie Pippen.

Andrew Gaze played for Seton Hall in college...great shooter but as usual foreign players can't play defense.

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:59 am

Ok everyone. What a fantastic and awe inspiring Opening Ceremony!!! We just got to the snow in time to catch East Timor come out and Australia!! Wasn't Cathy gorgeous? I too had tears of pride in my eyes to see what a fantastic job we have done so far.

Oh, and wasn't Michael Klims air guitar routine after the relay a hoot. Egg on smartass Americans face over that gaff.

You can't beat Sydney as the best city ever to host the Olympics. Anyone watch the mens triatholon as they passed around the Opera house? These Olympics will prove that Sydney is one of the most (or the most) beautiful cities in the world.

Aussie aussie aussie!!! *yay*

mb

L-188

Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:24 am

Brissie_lions....The U.S. only boycotted the Moscow summer olympics....The winter ones where in Lake Placid that year......

As far as the swimming events.....I dunno how big it is in the Lower 48 but up here you can't practice 8 months out of the year because the lakes are frozen  
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

polaris

Tue Sep 19, 2000 8:14 am

Yes, lots of impressive Olympics, Sydney and Australia coverage. CTV News has a nightly feature called "Destination: Australia". TV Guide says "CBC augments its daily coverage with numerous feature items, including: "The Olympians" (Canadian and international athlete profiles); "Abel's Outback" (Allen Abel journeys to Australia's famed Outback region) and "My Australia" (Aussie journalist and former Olympic gymnast Ann-Maree Kerry introduces us to the land Down Under).

Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:47 am

*yay*

Did anyone watch the mens relay final last night? What a race! Our guys broke the world record and no-one had a chance against them. Hearing the crowd, watching the race, you just can't beat that feeling of pride.

It's a big chest beating exercise by Australians, but what the hell, we are only a very little country and have such a wonderful sporting history.

So, after speaking with some friends of mine who "fled" Sydney to go to Europe for the duration of the Olympics it was mind blowing to find out just how much publicity this fantastic city is getting. And to also hear my friends cried when watching the ceremony and immediately wanted to come home.

*yay*

mb

Inspiration

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:11 am

Howdy MB

The relay was awesome. How the hell we got that far out in front is beyond me.

Don't forget the gold that Madam Freestyle got and the equestrian (gold in 3 successive Olympics).......we are going great guns.

But what I really wanted to mention was the inspirational effort by one of the *minor* countries. For a few years now the Olympics has been all about winning, all about commercialism, all about money, all about hobnobbing.......I think we were shown different yesterday morning. I am talking about Eric Moussambani from Equatorial Guinea, a country where there are only 2 swimming pools and the longest is 25m.

In the first heat of the 100m freestyle, there were 3 swimmers (including Eric). The other two swimmers were DQ'ed after false starts. What ensued after that would have to be one of the things that people will remember for years after all the athletes have gone home.

As the commentator stated, he looked so good with his dive, but everything changed once he hit the water. What I saw, left me in stitches (in fact, I didn't hear the commentary after that either...Dennis Cometti was probably pissing himself too). The world record at that stage was 48sec. Eric went on to break the Equatorial Guinea 100m record in a time of 1 minute 52.72 seconds. The great thing is that the whole crowd was behind this kid from his doggie paddle in the first 50m, to his horrendous tumble turn once he hit the 50m mark, to his coming to a snails pace as soon as he did his turn. Remember this kid is a soccer player and has only been swimming for the last 9 months.

It was absolutely inspirational to watch, and it seems the spirit of the Olympics is well and truly alive. The Sydney Olympics have found their *Eddie the Eagle*. Let the Games roll on!!!

Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:50 am

OUR FIRST GOLD IN ARCHERY!!!

AUSSIE - AUSSIE - AUSSIE

Sydney 2000 *yay*