The Gay Thing......What Really Matters

Sun Sep 10, 2000 7:39 am

I replied to MattD's "origins of homosexuality" with this post, but i thought i would set it up as a separate topic.

As a gay guy, i am really tired of having to justify or explain my lot in life......hey, i have NO idea either why I'm gay, or for that matter why my brother has brown hair and i have blonde hair, or why American's cut up their food and eat with a fork, or why airlines order A330/340's AND 777's (why do they???) or even why the sky is blue!!!!!!!!!

Basically this is just a little post to hopefully get a good vibe here. I am sick and tired of seeing so many gay posts full of so much negativity.

Below is a lovely poem, that might help people understand what is like to be gay. We don't want you to understand the "why" (we dont know either) just accept us and if anything understand what it's like to be gay.

WHAT REALLY MATTERS

My parents asked if I'm gay,
I said does it matter,
They said not really,
I told them yes I'm Gay,
They said get out of our lives,
I guess it mattered!

My Boss said are you gay,
I said does it matter,
My boss said not really,
I told my boss, yes i'm gay,
My boss said you're fired queer,
I guess it mattered!

My friend asked if I'm gay,
I said does it matter,
My friend said no not really,
I told my friend yes I'm gay,
My friend said don't call me friend,
I guess it mattered!

My lover said do you love me,
I said does it matter,
My lover said yes,
I told my lover yes I love you,
My lover said hold me in your arms,
For the first time something in my life matters.

God asked, Do you love yourself,
I said does it matter,
God said yes,
I said how can I love myself if I am gay,
God said because that is the way I made you,
Nothing will ever matter again.

Author Unknown

Cheers  

Graham.

N863DA

RE: The Gay Thing......What Really Matters

Sun Sep 10, 2000 7:49 am

Good on the author.

Nothing really matters except people. Especially not money. (Should a republican be saying such things?)

Just be happy and live life for the moment. You could get hit by a 50,000lb truck tomorrow.

Enjoy life. The Most Important Thing. To hell with what ANYONE else thinks.

God created you as you are (if you believe in such things, that is.) so that's cool, however you turned out.

N 8 6 3 D A

Trvlr

RE: XQF

Sun Sep 10, 2000 8:07 am

Great post.

Aaron G.

RE: XQF

Sun Sep 10, 2000 8:11 am

Outstanding post!!

777YYC

Sun Sep 10, 2000 8:43 am

Could that be said any better?
Great post.
I get pissed off when other hetros diss you guys! They're usually the same people who BS about freedom and things like that. What hypocrites.
Unfortunatly it's bound to turn into another flame war; then again, I guess that's what freedom of speech is.
Never forget who you are!
Don't take anything too personally.

Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:01 am

thanks guys!!      

Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:16 am

A couple of months ago i was walking with a friend (who happens to be gay too) in the city. It was about 4am and we were heading back to his hotel walking through Kings Cross (which, if you know Sydney, is not the safest area at the best of times, let alone 4 in the morning!!). Anyway, next thing this drunk guy comes up to us. He was huge and looked scary. He asked for a cigarette and we obliged (not wanting to get the crap beaten out of us!) Next he said...."Hey are you two poofters??" (at this stage, i started to turn my undies brown - if you know what i mean!!) And he just stared at us. We both kinda shuffled and tried to walk away. He stops us ....and says "Hey, you didnt answer my question!!!!" (holy crap, im thinking, this is it!) He then says, "You are, arent you?" So (studpidly) I say....."well, yeah" to which he said..."Well, whats the problem......why didnt you say 'yes' straight away. Listen guys I may be a drunk stupid straight guy, but never be ashamed of who you are. Be proud of yourself and love yourself for what you are."

you could have knocked me over with a feather! Next he hugs us both and says his brother is gay and it hurts him so much how narrow minded people can be. But more than that he gets more upset by people who cant love themselves and be who they are and be proud of that.

So, everyone, no matter if you are straight, gay, bi, tri, transsexual, green, purple, blue or yellow......love yourself, you are the only you....and life is too short.

Cheers

Graham.  

Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:36 am

Graham

This is a great post I have to say, but I still prefer the *poem* that one of the other guys came up with along these lines. Remember it?

But just in answer to one of your comments:

"hey, i have NO idea either why I'm gay, or for that matter why my brother has brown hair and i have blonde hair"

I think the reason you have blonde hair is because of a little thing called PEROXIDE, or am I sorely mistaken?  

And I also have to agree with why airlines order the 777 or A330/A340. Yes, why would they order these pieces of junk when the Ilyushin Il-96 is available for 1/5 of the cost?

Anyway, outta here.

Scotty

cba

Sun Sep 10, 2000 9:42 am

Really great posts. Hopefully some ignorant j/a won't come in and ruin it.

RE: Scotty

Sun Sep 10, 2000 10:07 am

ha!   Cheeky bugger!   OK, OK, so i have been known to "enhance" my beautiful blonde locks!   But you'll be happy to know i am back to my natural blonde (this week!)

G. 

Delta777-XXX

Sun Sep 10, 2000 11:06 am

XQF... This is a great post man!

Hints For Heterosexuals Meeting Me

Sun Sep 10, 2000 11:28 am

1. Do not run from the room screaming... this is rude.

2. Do not assume I am attracted to you.

3. Do not assume I am not attracted to you.  

4. Do not immediately start talking about your girlfriend (either male or female). I already know.

5. Do not assume I am dying to talk about going both ways... it's a mood thing. (pun intended)

6. Moods aside, please feel free to ask any questions you have that would make you more comfortable. I've got the color recruitment flip charts in the car -- 1 more for the toaster oven.

7. It's really none of your business of who's on top... unless you're looking for a date.

8. Don't assume that I can't take a good gay joke now... I have a few that would make even you blush.  

9. I didn't mutate into someone completely different during the seconds you found out about this... I'm the same person you've known for some time, you just know a little more about me.

10. Why ask why? Or how? Or whatever... I just am.

Sun Sep 10, 2000 11:31 am

Brissie_Lions wrote.....

" I didn't mutate into someone completely different during the seconds you found out about this... I'm the same person you've known for some time, you just know a little more about me."

Totally! well put!

TriStar

Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:21 pm

More power to you, guys. Love the positive note.

Best regards, as always,

TriStar.

tupolev154b2

Sun Sep 10, 2000 7:48 pm

:DD

sn330

Sun Sep 10, 2000 10:18 pm

I enjoyed both of your posts XQF. Good job, out of all the stuff that has been posted about Gays or Homosexuality on this site, the posts by you have made the most sense.

blink182

Mon Sep 11, 2000 12:09 am

I would pay to be you guys knowing that there is a lot of gay discrimination against you guys and you guys are able to handle it. I don't know any gay people but due to this forum,I have learned a lot about them and don't discriminate against you guys, XQF-that poem really made me feel sorry for you guys,not just accept but feel sympathy knowing that parents will kick you out of the house and even their lives is just unreal and getting fired because you are gay? what the hell does being gay have to do with it,you could be one of the smartest people in the company but your boss happens to fire you because you are gay? that is just un-fair! I accept lesbians,straights and gays,if you are a good person,i like you. more power to ya
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Mon Sep 11, 2000 9:11 am

XQF,

Very nice post.

One thing I would like to know is do you, um, you know, bleach, um, you know, um, the other "hair"?

lol

mb *smile*

RE: MX5_boy

Mon Sep 11, 2000 11:56 am

Let's just say the carpet doesn't match the curtains!

RE: MX5_boy

Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:07 pm

Bugger, and here we thought you were one really far out dude

Scotty

gaypilot

Mon Sep 11, 2000 6:28 pm

Great add!

Fly safe!

/gaypilot of Scandinavia

TWFirst

Mon Sep 11, 2000 6:48 pm

Here's a bit of info that's sure to raise some eyebrows among the RIGHTeous users of this site:

If I did have a choice, I'd still be gay! I like who I am just fine.

BTW, my partner and I attended a Hawaiian-themed lesbian wedding yesterday. Yes, you read correctly. Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive as to what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was very tasteful and fun. Most of the guests there were straight. Everybody had a wonderful time. It was really cool.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

mirage

Tue Sep 12, 2000 12:50 am

I'm not gay but XQF's both posts are a lesson for many people, great.

[email protected]

Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:45 am

These are some of the better posts I've ever read on the subject. It makes me wanna share them with everyone I know.

RE: TWFirst

Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:55 am

*hoorays* for TWFirst!

I wouldn't change who I am either, I like who I am.

And good on your lesbian friends for having a wedding, what a great and special way to show your friends and family that you and your partner have formed a lasting relationship and commitment to each other.

I just recently did something similar with my parter only a little less exciting, I changed my surname to match my partners. We haven't decided on the wedding though - hmmmm should I have a bridal shower or a bucks night or both??

lol *smile*

mb

polaris

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:09 am

Way to go, guys! Thanks for a great post.

Ilyushin96M

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:15 am

You guys are truly amazing, and I am totally moved by this post! XQF, kudos to you for starting it, and thanks to all who have contributed!

I for one put myself through hell trying to figure out why I was gay when I was a teen. Although I wish maybe I'd had the support and acceptance so many gay teens have today (and I am well aware that they all don't, which saddens me), I've forged my own path and become a person who is true to himself, looks reality in the face and can roll with the punches. I wouldn't change a thing, because everything I went through in life led me to where and who I am today.

I meet challenges and ugliness with understanding and compassion, yet I am firm in my convictions and don't take s*** from anyone. Hatred and bigotry should never be reciprocated, because that cycle doesn't serve anyone.

IL96M

Skyteam

XQF

Tue Sep 12, 2000 6:18 am

Great post dude, Keep it up!!!!!

SKYTEAM

LH423

Tue Sep 12, 2000 6:59 am

I don't think I have anything to add to this post. I've become a lot more comfortable in who I am, and who I want to be. I now no longer want to hide behind any façades, I just want to be me, and the me I want to be is GAY (whoo, that's a mouthful, no pun intended  ).

I like so many came out to the airliners.net community in the "Adam and Steve..On Being Gay" post. I did so with trepidation, and now in the months following I have become more comfortable, and I'm glad there is finally a gay post in which no negativity has entered.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

redngold

Tue Sep 12, 2000 7:10 am

Before you make any judgements based on my past posts, please read a little bit.

First of all, congratulations on keeping this thread cool (ass opposed to burning with flames!)

Second of all, thanks to XQF for sharing the beautiful poem.

I questioned my own sexuality for years before I decided I was straight(!) I completely understand the last part of the poem where the author talks about God and loving yourself. Unfortunately it has taken several years for my family to accept that I'm straight.

Thanks.
redngold

Up, up and away!

N863DA

Tue Sep 12, 2000 7:37 am

Congratulations.... to all of you.... to LH423, to XQF (who I have great respect for, even if I said to him "Hey, I think you're a
respected user".... he thinks he'd slap me!! hehe
 ) for starting far and away the most powerful of all the posts on this subject in the recent developement of the non-aviation forum.

Congratulations to all y'all I guess (sorry SEVEN_FIFTY7, I know that's not a word, but for me it is... ) for - everything. I have no idea what to put here as I am trying not to sound patronizing in any way. Dan'g - I don't think there is any way a Southerner can say things like this without sounding Condescending..... oh well, you know I mean well.  

And I can definately relate to what redngold said in her last post. Because of y'all I don't even know where I stand on religion anymore. I stand on my own I guess, and not on either one side of other of the religious debate. You've all certainly confused me over that one. And yet I have learned quite a lot (in many, many ways) from quite a lot of you.... certain Australians (and Twin City & Ft. Lauderdale residents) amongst you. I must thank you all for 'widening my perspective'. And I am sure that there are many other people in this forum who have the same thanks to make.

More power to y'all.  

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

RE: 777YYC

Tue Sep 12, 2000 10:34 am

Now, now, lets not get irrational. You said:
"I get pissed off when other hetros diss you guys! They're usually the same people who BS about freedom and things like that. What hypocrites."
Now, I am one to discuss freedom on this forum, and I feel very much for it. BUT I am not the same person who "disses you" homosexuals. I have no problem that you are the way you are. I will not force any beliefs that I may have on you. I will respect you for who you are. I do not enjoy being called a hypocrite, for I try my hardest not to be one. I just wanted to clear that up and get on with it.... lets not spend the rest of the thread talking about hypocrites and how Bush or Gore is a hypocrite, and people dissing people, as many threads before have gone south pretty fast. I agree with Cba, lets not ruin this thread (or any thread for that matter). Thanks.

PS: by the way, Freedom to an American and freedom to a Canadian is different (I am assuming you are a neighbor to the north from your screen name).

Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:35 pm

Thanks guys! I am truly humbled by your supportive and replies and great contributions. Hey it might have taken a couple of months, a few posts and unfortunately a bit of heartache, but i think we have all come a long way to getting to appreciate who we are and appreciate those around us.

So congratualtions guys, in each corner of the world we are all a little wiser and a lot better off for it. Whatever your opinion, insight, understanding and sharing experiences and knowledge is the way forward.

Cheers!

Graham / XQF

Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:40 pm

Congratulations QXF,
great post, I believe love is what really matters,
if We all accept each other the way we are ,this planet
will be a beautiful place to live, I believe We have
a universe within and that's why We all different
from each other.
Acklins.

critter

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:34 pm

It deeply saddens me to see people twist God's Holy Word to make it say what they want to hear!!!! I will be praying for you even more than before...

critter

RE: Critter

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:40 pm

Thanks so much! You have successfully in one self-righteous post completely missed the point of the last 33 replies and the original post.

Does it bother you that much that am I gay and believe that the God who created me might just be proud of his creation?

I suggest you reread all the posts and practice a little of the love that is preached.

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:49 pm

XQF

Don't mind Critter mate. He obviously has nothing better to contribute. I will say however that I am sure that God is happy with all his creations, otherwise he wouldn't have created us in the first place right? And we are happy with *this* creation  

Cheers

Scotty

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:57 pm

yeah, thanks scotty. I am just a little disappointed, I thought we could get through this entire post without any negativity. oh well.

Trvlr

Tue Sep 12, 2000 7:07 pm

It is just too easy to tell Critter off, but I won't because I think people would like to keep this positive. A lot of people I know could learn a lot from what's being said here...This is a great thread!

Aaron G.

steman

Tue Sep 12, 2000 7:50 pm

Hi,
I'm gay too.
this is my coming out

Ciao

Stefano

TWFirst

Tue Sep 12, 2000 7:52 pm

Come on you guys, Critter is absolutely right!!!!! It IS wrong to twist God's holy word to make it say what we want to hear! And every time the bible has been translated over the centuries, popes and other "holy" folk have done a super duper job of twisting God's holy word (which, by the way, was conceived and written by mere mortals) to say what they wanted to say. But only Critter's interpretation of what the bible says is correct. Jeez, I thought all us evil perverts would have realized that by now. I guess we're just stupid or something.

By the way Crit, while you're talkin' with the big guy on my behalf, could you please ask him for the following: I need help getting a finance take-home test done, as well as a marketing research project. Also, I haven't changed my oil in like 20,000 miles and I'm hoping the car won't break down, so if he could let it run until I get it to Jiffy Lube, that would be cool. I have a few more problems as well, but I'll let you work on these first. Let me know what he says. OK, on second thought, scratch that. Please DON'T let me konw what you think he says.

Oh hey, has your wife spawned that potentially evil gay child of yours that you were talkin' about awhile back?

TWFirst

RE: My Last Post

Tue Sep 12, 2000 7:57 pm

Hey! What the heck is "konw" ? That was supposed to be "know". I think Critter prayed that I would make a typo.

BTW Aaron G., I agree with what you said (about keeping this thread positive), and I hope my previous post doesn't work against that, but I just couldn't help myself. I tried! I really tried! But I just couldn't control the evil urge to make fun of him. Sigh. I'm weak  .

steman

Tue Sep 12, 2000 8:39 pm

I don't know if it really matters if I'm gay but I am sure of one thing:homosexuality is not normal!
Probably is as natural as being etero but when I see that all of my friends and all of my collegue, both male and female, have a partner of the opposite sex I think there's something wrong in me.
I don't know the origin of my homosexuality and I would prefer to be etero just for the simpler life they have by this point of view.
Anyway, apart from being attracted by men, I am a male in all the other aspects, from phisical appearance to interests (aviation first of all).
So for me is just a state of mind.
Maybe for the others it doesn't really matters but for me it does.

Ciao

Stefano

critter

Tue Sep 12, 2000 9:37 pm

There is help available in dealing with this issue. Check out one of the many web sites dedicated to supporting the Homosexual needs.

http://www.livehope.org
http://www.ewm.org
http://www.messiah.edu/hpages/facstaff/chase/h/exodus/index.htm

God Bless
critter

Ilyushin96M

Locking And Loading...and Words Of Encouragement

Tue Sep 12, 2000 9:41 pm

Critter -

"God asked, Do you love yourself,
I said does it matter,
God said yes,
I said how can I love myself if I am gay,
God said because that is the way I made you,
Nothing will ever matter again."

I have to say I think it's pretty disgusting and pathetic the way so many "Christians" twist God's word to suit their own purpose. I wish those types were the exception rather than the rule, but my experience in the world has shown me otherwise. I've also noted that people who are content in their own lives don't busy themselves with the lives of others. It seems to me that on the whole, "Christians" are seeking to justify their own beliefs and stands on things by making others wrong. That being the case, I wonder just how strong their convictions really are, as well as their faith, if they must continually justify themselves.

This is MY turf here, buddy, and I'll defend it as fiercely as I would if you were to show up at my doorstep to preach at me. How would you feel if a group of us came to your church to protest your religion and way of life? Might give you a taste of your own medicine. I've seen too many of your lackeys down protesting gay pride, when they could be out in the world making a real difference (As a side note, they usually end up yelling at the straight people to repent, because they can't tell who's straight and gay). Rather than spending time - and money - protesting our way of life, go to a hospital and hold crack babies, or help the needy. Make a CONTRIBUTION. I go to bed every night knowing I have made a difference with someone, in some way. Can you say the same?

I think that were it possible or likely to know it, God would be extremely distressed and disappointed that so many followers have lost sight of the true meaning of their faith. I have a hard time believing that Paradise would be open to anyone who is judgemental and a hypocrite. God is all-accepting, all-loving. That is one truth I know. And I am certain God would want followers who would be the same.

----------------------------------

Steman -

Coming out is a difficult process, as is self-acceptance. Rather than focus on your heterosexual friends and colleagues and the "normalcy" of their lives, try to find people in the gay community who will support and nurture you in your life. I have an awesome group of friends myself, so I know those types of people are out there. And as far as the heterosexual lifestyle being "simpler"...this is as much a myth as anything. My straight friends have just as much difficulty coping in their everyday lives, as well as finding a significant other with whom they are compatible. Granted, there is more agreement in the world concerning their sexual preference, but no one's life is truly simple, I think.

Anyway...good luck to you, and stay safe!

IL96M

polaris

Tue Sep 12, 2000 11:31 pm

Critter: I have never responded to you directly but it is time. I hope I can keep this in the positive vein we have been following.

The current interpretation of the Bible is less than 200 years old. The meaning of words change through time and through translations. The meaning of the words in the Bible have also changed through time and through translations. Thus, the interpretation of homosexuality in the Bible has changed in the last 200 years. To fully understand the teachings of this book, you must return to the original language and the original meaning of that language. You cannot blindly accept today's interpretations. A simple example: What many read as "the end of the world" was actually "the end of an era". Someone translated the Greek word for "era" into the English word "world". There have been many "end of an era" on this planet.

The Bible teaches that we are spirit beings. As such, we have an individual vibrational frequency. Our own signature stamp. Everything on this planet has a vibrational frequency. Some call it an energy force. It has been scientifically proven that everything has this energy force or vibrational frequency. Colour has a certain vibrational frequency so you are able to see colour. Sound vibrates at a higher frequency than colour therefore, you are able to hear sound. Various human senses are equipped to receive different frequencies. Various animals are equipped to receive frequencies humans can't receive. This is also like your radio. It is equipped to receive certain frequencies when you tune in to them. When you tune to a certain radio station, your radio reads that frequency and accepts it so you can hear it.

Humans are the same. When we tune in to a vibrational frequency that matches ours, as spirit beings, we are attracted to it and we "read" it. Vibrational frequency has no sex. You may be attracted to a particular animal, a certain house, a certain song, a certain person. Yes, a certain person. It does not matter what human form they take. As a person with a vibrational frequency, you are attracted to another person with a vibrational frequency that matches yours. It does not matter what sex they are. It is an attraction. This same attraction exists everywhere in the animal world where it is not judged by other animals. Many current societies have chosen to be afraid of the attraction between two physical forms of the same sex. These vibrational frequencies have been drawn together. This energy force that permeates this planet has drawn them together. Are we not taught that God is a spirit being, an energy force, that is everywhere? By denying the attraction between two similar energy forces, are you not, by default, denying the existence of that energy force or vibrational frequency that permeates this planet? Are you not denying the existence of that force which you call God?

Critter?

N863DA

Wed Sep 13, 2000 12:02 am

You will be thrilled to know that the first time I tried to type a response to this post, I got so irate when I typed something wrong that I punched my laptop's keyboard, and it turned off, which isn't a good sign, and now it's making a horrendous noise and the chipfan is now busted, but overall it's still working, so I will continue.

Critter. Please. Stop

Religion works for you and me. From a psychology point of view, this could be because we have a void inside of us that says we need to believe in some form of higher being in order to be a complete person. If people are happy with their lives, without religion, netiher you nor I nor Mr Clinton himself has the right to force our views onto them. God created people, and was immensely proud with every single creation. You and I or anyone else has NO RIGHT to question his judgement. If you in fact choose to ignore this and make judgement anyway, then you are in fact doubting God's judgment - which, by your reckoning, unjudgable as he is perfect.

Religion is a HUMAN concoction. I conceed that (for me it is true, for others not so) God exists - but he is above us. REligion is another matter. This is a human invention to fill a hole left in a human heart & mind. Those who do not have that hole in them in the first place should consider themselves lucky, as they probably do, that they do not NEED this religion.

If anything, those that do not need religion in their lives may be considered to be 'stronger' people. This is because they do not need some exterior force propping them up to keep them upright. They are completely contented with their lives as they are at the moment. What gives you the right to judge them?

You think you are superior to them, and in turn that allows you to pass judgement? Think again. Everyone is equal in God's eyes. God hates no-one. You have no right to tell someone else how to live. Conversely, they have no right to tell them how to live their lives.

So just stop with the 'I Pity You' crap and get over it. There is no need to pity them... they're not dying or anything. They are happy in themselves. And THAT in the end, is ALL that matters.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Wed Sep 13, 2000 12:35 am

I pass a motion that the next person who mentions religion in this thread has to donate $5 towards the Airliners.net float in the next Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.      

Somehow, I think we will have enough money to fly all the guys in from around Australia and overseas and have a huge piss-up afterwards as well.  

Cheers

Scotty

TWFirst

RE: The Canadian And The "Russian" Dudes

Wed Sep 13, 2000 1:54 am

Ilyushin96M and especially Polaris:

Your posts are undoubtedly two of the most well-written bits of cyber-lit I've ever seen here. I connected so completely with your words, because you so perfectly captured my thoughts on the matter (not that Ben and Scotty's posts weren't also extremely well-written). I also believe in an energy that connects us all. We're all made of the same atoms, and I firmly believe we're connected by an energy... a "life force" if you will.

After communicating with such like-minded guys here, I really wish we could meet up sometime. You guys interested in coming to Minneapolis? (Sorry Crit, you're not invited.)

Ilyushin96M

My Compliments!

Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:36 am

Polaris and N863DA, your words ring VERY true with me. Excellent thoughts, guys. It constantly amazes me the sort of responses we as a community come up with to negativity and make-wrong.

TWFirst, I live in Milwaukee, and I have friends in Minneapolis.   So if you want to have a weekend party, let me know!  After that, we could all hop on a 744 and jet down to Aussieland. Scotty would never know what hit him!