Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Religion

Mon Sep 11, 2000 4:32 am

Hey!

I was wondering about religion!  

I am a christian. I believe that Jesus is God's son and that he died on the cross for out sins. I believe that if you accept Jesus into your heart that you will go to heaven and have everlasting life.

Now... what do you believe?

I ask that you repsect my religion... and I'll respect your's!      

redngold

RE: Religion

Mon Sep 11, 2000 6:59 am

"I asked Jesus how much he loved me and he said, "this much" and stretched his arms out... and died."
Up, up and away!

JAT

Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:03 am

Oh dear here we go again.

I'm going to make this short

1. My parents grew up in a communist country (former Yugoslavia) and religion wasn't exactly encouraged. (i.e. if you had a wedding ceremony in church you would be thrown out of the party and demoted at work)

2. This resulted into people turning in to atheists, including my parents, mainly my dad.

3. I was not born into a very religous household (I wasn't even ever christened)

4. By choice or by circumstance I turned out to be an atheist as well

5. I believe that if there was a "higher power" he/she/it would not allow many things that have happened on this planet to occur.

Thank you, I hope you understand my position.

Trvlr

Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:23 am

I am Jewish. I am a "Reform" Jew, which means I do not conform to some of the beliefs and obey some of the more traditional practices of the Ultra-Orthodox and to some extent Conservative sects of Judaism like being Kosher and doing a large amount of work on the Sabbath, etc. Reform Judaism is very open in that it allows a lot of leeway in terms of what "kind" of Jew you want to be and how conservative/liberal you want to be.

As far as what my beliefs are, I must say I do exactly concentrate much on the "God" aspect of Judaism. Rather, I tend to look at my being Jewish from a cultural perspective rather than a religious one. I believe that there was a Moses, and an Abraham, but I have not really had any type of experience that has led me to truely believe that there is a higher power which guides me. This may be because I have not really had an experience where I needed the strength of god or a "higher power" to help me pull through a dilemma I am in. After all, I am an Upper-Middle Class American going to a good school, getting good grades, and having loving parents. What more could I ask for? I am sure that there are some large problems ahead for me in life, but I do not think I will need to use religion as something that would empower me to do something rather than my own self-confidence. And besides, like JAT said, If there was a god/higher power, then I think he would have stepped in and stopped a few of the major negative events that have happened in recent history.

I got a little off topic, but that's what I think. 

Aaron G.

Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:53 am

My religion is the exact same as yours Delta777-XXX.

Mon Sep 11, 2000 3:10 pm

I consider myself an athiest, i was born into a christian family and found that it did not appeal to me that much. it appeared to me that the church would be more effective if would stop the preaching and do more to help crumbling society. to me the bible makes a mockery of all that makes sence

JAT

Tue Sep 12, 2000 12:50 am

I fully agree about the church part with Fidel.

Greeneyes53787

Tue Sep 12, 2000 5:44 am

When I use logic I see it highly illogical that the complex world just developed--by itself.

If I were to fill a plastic bag with alphabet letters and shake them up. I do not perceive of ever seeing a sentence from the letters.

No, the world (all of the cosmos) has a temporal and spacial order. Logic (my logic) tells me that a necessary being had to have put it in a way that would eventually work together.

Now as to who this necessary being is...
I know not!

The necessary being of Isaac and Ishmael seems historically to be consistent with logic and reason, to me.

But the Christ of God seems a bit more realistic that the story of Muhammed. In one story Christ is rescued from the cross. In the other Christ is not. He died as a sin bearer for all who would accept this gift.

Wow, what a concept.
I vote for the sin bearer.

GE

N312RC

Tue Sep 12, 2000 6:05 am

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again.
In fulfillment of the scriptures.
He ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.

What am I, CATHOLIC!!
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

FlyVirgin744

Tue Sep 12, 2000 6:50 am

Here is an interesting question, lets say that all the evidence of the world's current religion (God, Jesus, Lucifer, Jerusalem, Bethlehem...) were to disapear from every book and from every persons' mind. Then about 150 years from now, some ordinary guy ask "Why are we here?" What would happen then??? Do the Christians reading this believe that somehow they will rediscover Christ, or will people start with a whole new story? Perhaps praying to multiple gods like the Romans? Does it matter how the story goes?, or will it all end up praying to the same God with only a different story??
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Peter

Tue Sep 12, 2000 6:55 am

I believe basically the same thing as Delta777-XXX.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Tue Sep 12, 2000 9:08 am

I am a Southern Baptist. My dad is kind of an atheist I guess, he isnt much into religion. A lot of people on his side of the family are Mormon, his family growing up never went to church and he doesnt have interest in it now. My moms side of the family is very religous, even has a church and a section of town in Jacksonville named after it. Adam84 or N-156F, you heard of 'Wesconnett'? It was named of three men who helped in developing the Westside of Jacksonville and a church there, they were West, Connors, and Turknett (my Great Grandma's maiden name) which when you put together says 'Wesconnett'. Anyway, my grandma and grandpa started taking me to church when I moved here in Nevada from Kodiak and I have gone ever since, even though they have divorced and moved away.

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:30 pm

I believe the same as you Delta777-XXX.

Cheers  

Delta777-XXX......help!

Tue Sep 12, 2000 4:43 pm

Hey Delta777-XXX, do you think you might be able to help me out on my post "The GayThing- What Really Matters" - check out Critters post and let me know what you think. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Graham / XQF

Greeneyes53787

Tue Sep 12, 2000 10:57 pm

Hello, N312RC.

A Catholic you say?

This is good, I think. But you might want to modify your creed. This is a version of the Apostles Creed, but its translation into English leaves a little confusion.

The part that says "On the third day He rose again," is probably not what you believe. Why? Because literally this means that He rose once before. "He rose again" means that Jesus rose one previous time. Do you mean this, or do you mean that He rose?

He didn't rise again. He just rose. I do not care if the priest wrote this himself. In English the meaning is wrong. So when I attend Mass I just say He rose.

GE

Ps-My uncle Alf wrote a good song called "He Lives." Most main line Protestant churches sing this on Easter. Check it out. I think Catholics might like this one too.

Nondemoninational Monotheist

Tue Sep 12, 2000 11:46 pm

I am a nondemoninational monotheist.

I believe there is a God, who is far more than we as pathetic humans can understand. About the only thing we can actually know about God is that God wants us to live our lives by the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have them do unto you...do not steal, do not kill, do not cheat, do not mess around with other people's spouses, do not lie about your fellows, etc.

All of the major religions have some versions of the Golden Rule or the Ten Commandments. Where they argue with each other is about theology.

So, my beliefs are simple. I try to live my life by the Golden Rule and the Ten Commandments and "lovingkindness" as the Buddists would say. When I screw up, I confess my sins to God and make amends if I can.

sr117

Wed Sep 13, 2000 1:15 am

I gotta agree with you John !! I have felt that way for some time now, but I hadn't found a name for it until now   I think all religions are good as long as they serve the pourpouse they were created for and not for lowly human things as discriminating and judging others.

Ricardo

N312RC

Wed Sep 13, 2000 1:28 am

Look at it my way, GE...

On the third day he rose AGAIN.

He was alive and risen BEFORE he died! Therefore, on the third day he rose AGAIN. Why are you criticizing the Catholic Church?? This is something that I hold very near and dear to my heart. After all, I go the BIGGEST Catholic School in the State Of Michigan (run by the Basilian Fathers)! It may be "wrong" in the way you interpret it, but i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Ok, A bunch of our popes were slimebags way back in history, and they did alot of things wrong. This is why the Protestant movement came about. But it's what billions of people believe in.

Just like Delta777-XXX said,

I ask that you repsect my religion... and I'll respect your's!

P.S. Are You Catholic??
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

seven_fifty7

Wed Sep 13, 2000 1:31 am

I was born a good 'ol Catholic.

As far as DeltaRNO's background....

Now I understand.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:42 am

What is wrong with my background? My dad didnt go to church, my mom did, they married. Is there something wrong with that? At least I dont claim that a statue of Mary cries blood on certain days. By the way, you werent BORN any religion, obviously you dont believe that you have to be saved to go to heaven, because if your parents are saved, that doesnt get you into heaven, MORON. Refer to several posts on this forum and Non Av, many people dislike you, and the number is growing.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:43 am

ah, what am I replying to Seven_fifty7 for? He is another rude new yorker... bloody new yorkers.....

mls515

Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:52 am

I consider myself A 'born-again' Christian. I believe the Jesus died for my sins etc...

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:07 am

XQF... I posted my thoughts on your post... like you asked!  

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:12 am

I don't believe in any of the various "book of lies" (ie: the various bibiles, koran etc etc) that are floating around the world, but then I would not classify myself as an atheist.

Religion = War.

And that makes whole generations of people throughout the ages big ugly hyprocrites.

mb

Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:58 am

Uhhh ohhh... here we go again.
DeltaRNOmd-80: there is nothing wrong with your mom marrying your dad. Maybe someday he will be saved. Also, there is nothing wrong with believing that the statue of Mary crys blood. That is how they believe, and even though you and I don't believe in that, they can believe whatever they want.
SEVEN_FIFTY7: How about we don't make comments that can be very offensive to others. I know I try my hardest not to, and would like others to do the same. Even though religion can be a messy subject to talk about, we can make it pleasant if we want to.

Carioca Canuck

Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:07 am

Is this topic "deja-vu" or what ???

Greeneyes53787

Wed Sep 13, 2000 5:10 am

Dear N312RC,

I appologise.

My meaning was not a judgement on the church. I am catholic myself, and even a graduate of seminary. My work has taken me to South America and Europe and elsewhere where I find people with open minds and people with closed ones.

The Roman Catholic Church holds to several creeds. The one I mentioned has just lost a little of the Catholic meaning in the translation into English. That's all.

Here's a thought. In 1965 Vatican II finished. In this great council the church members were given an open door to study scripture. What this really means is that scripture is the authority, not the writings of the church.

Therefore we don't just hold on to our sayings. We constantly seek the best wordings. What you and I both believe is that Jesus became alive again. When I teach English (I am a teacher) I insist that a learner say what s/he means instead of something else.

If a person says he is retracing something he's saying he is going over it the third time. For to trace is to go over it again, and to retrace is to go over it again--again. This literacy is similar to the premise that Christ rose again. If He rose again, then He must have risen before. Therefore He was resurrected twice.

I believe He was resurrected only once. The beauty here is that our difference is only about the words, not the meaning.

Greeneyes (GE)

seven_fifty7

RE: DeltaRNO

Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:10 pm

This is actually directed more to those in the 18+ age range.

I just now happened to have glanced at DeltaRNO's profile, and to my dismay, the chap is only 13-15 yrs old! No wonder why he keeps getting bent all out of shape so easily! All this time I kept assuming he was around my age for some reason.

Anyway, the point is that I definitely will not offend him anymore, and I most certainly apologize to him for some of the insensitive exchanges I've had with him. In truth, I'm embarrassed.

HOW ABOUT A TRUCE DELTA RNO!
--------------------
BTW: I've NEVER, in all of my life, ever heard of such a legend as the statue of Mary crying blood!

That's actually quite hilarious to me!       Where have I been?! Can you imagine people going around actually believing that!

critter

Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:15 am

Without going into great detail, I think Delta777-XXX sums up my beliefs in a nut shell. If I were to add anything I would add that he rose again on the third day and sits at the right hand of God.

I will also add that accepting Christ as your personal Savior is a HUGE commitment. It is not something for the weak of heart. God asks you to give of your all to the Master, and that means all, including surrendering your life and giving up those things of the world (sin). I am not saying that I nor anyone else doesn't sin. Jesus Christ is the only man to walk this earth without sin. However, we should have a changed heart and desire to please God by forsaking sin (Drunkeness, Profanity, Homosexuality, Slander, Promescuity, etc.). The great part is that since Jesus Christ died for my sins and rose again on the third day, my sins (and yours) have been paid in full. All we have to do is ask for Gods grace and forgivness.......yes it is a gift.

God Bless
critter

c72

Sat Sep 16, 2000 3:40 pm

I guess I'll make an unpopular answer, I 100% agree with Critter!!!!

Steve

modesto2

Sun Sep 17, 2000 3:26 am

I don't have a religion. What happens to me?

Trvlr

Sun Sep 17, 2000 3:51 am

Absolutely nothing. That's the beauty of it!

Aaron G.

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2000 11:37 am

Well... I believe you will go to hell.

but nothing against you or Aaron G... or anyone else

Mason

Sun Sep 17, 2000 11:55 am

Come on--
It is simply not logical to think there is not a higher authority. The earth and all people were created simply by chance has about the same probibility as a perfectly functional 747 resulting from an explosion at the Boeing factory. For those of you who think that all you have to do to be saved is to believe in God, I think you are mistaken. You must take God into your life and try to live your life as Jesus did in order to be saved. Just because you don't 'have' a religion does not mean you are going to hell. If you are living a life similar to that of Jesus, and trying your best to deal honestly with your fellow men, then you have nothinig to worry about. I know lots of people who say they are Catholic or whatever, but they do not keep the sabath day holy as a day of rest, and think that just because they say they are Catholic means they are saved. Once again, I believe this is not the mentality to have.

FlyVirgin744

Mason

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:48 am

I agree 100% what you say, but to most religous people, that is very far from true. I've had people tell me that it doesn't matter how good of a person you are, if you don't believe in the Bible, God, Jesus, then you are going to hell. I will live my life exactly how you describe and we'll see what happens. I do not consider myself a religion, perhaps the type of jew Trvlr was speaking of, but nor an athiest or anything else. I do not want to be categorized except simply HUMAN.  
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:38 am

well... one day we will see won't we?!?!  

Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:56 pm

it's either him or me...

Mason

Tue Sep 19, 2000 2:13 am

To those of you who think all you have to do is believe in God, what does it mean to 'believe' in God? If I believe in God and dissobay commandments, then am I going to be saved? I think not.

Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:09 am

Ah-hah! That's where grace comes in! That's why Jesus came in the first place! God loves us so much that he gives us free will: The will to choose to live his way or not. If you program your computer to say "I love you, Master" every time you turn it on, it means nothing! For us to choose to love God and obey him is the ultimate expression of love. By the way, the commandments are not just a list of do's and don'ts just for his almighty ego. They are for our benefit and well being.

"If I believe in God and disobey commandments, then I am going to be saved? I think not"
God knows that we cannot meet his perfect expectations. There must be an atonment, a payment, a penalty for the wrong that is made. The ultimate grace is Jesus Christ in perfection being punished and making the atonement for our sins. If we accept that grace by believing what Jesus did, THEN we WILL be saved! Living a "good life" will not do it because ALL fall short. "But I'm generally better than the next guy. . " insufficient arguement when the standard is from a PERFECT God!

Praise be to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has provided the way!

. . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Mason

SkyWestPilot

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:30 am

I agree that everyone falls short, and that is where the atonement, or the ultimate sacrifice comes in. I also agree that the commandments are for our benefit. However, I gather that you think the atonement is not for everyone. The atonement IS for everyone. No matter what sins you commit, the atonement still applies to you. Without the atonement, we would have no chance of being 'saved'. But with it, everyone has that chance. This is where I ask the question, "What does it mean to be saved?" To me, it means being able to live with God the Father and Jesus for all eternity, a privelage not everyone will be entitled to. Everyone will live after death, it is only a question of where and with who. The most obdient souls will be able to live in the presence of the Father and the Son, the not-so-obdient will live in less glorious places. Granted no one is or was perfect, except for Jesus, we must all try to do our best.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:43 am

ok

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:47 am

I'm sorry if I made the wrong impression. . .I agree that atonement is for everyone!
Happy to see we're on the same page!

flyf15

Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:16 am

I believe god to take such forms as e=m*c^2

777YYC

Wed Sep 20, 2000 11:17 am

I'm an Atheist.
I have my own set of principles in life that I stick to but I don't follow any religion.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Sep 20, 2000 11:29 am

I am a Southern Baptist

modesto2

Thu Sep 21, 2000 10:23 am

Well I don't have a religion, I'm not Atheist...I don't really think about God, Jesus, the Bible, etc... I just live my life. I don't hurt anyone and I'm a nice guy. And that's all I have to say about that!

Greeneyes53787

Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:10 am

"If you are not for me, you are against me."
Jesus of Nazareth

Greeneyes53787

RE: Flyf15

Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:25 am

To Flyf15, SkyWestPilot and Mason:

You three seem to hold truth. Energy equaling MC2, though, is limiting. I think God cannot be contained within His creation. Probably 2 of three agree.

God, to be God must be omnipresent, omniscient and never only contained within something God created.

Those who believe in Christ's gift and His Deity may not accept this gift. Satan believes but rejects this gift. However, the Psalmist tells us we cannot escape from God's presence. Whether we go to Hell--God is there, etc...

I suspect Heaven will be where those who love and accept Jesus Christ will get personal human contact with Him. The Father will probably never be directly looked at. Our finite nature just cannot see fully the infinite.

GE

Ps-Einstein's theory showed Einstein that the spacial and temporal order of the universe pointed to a necessary being (God).