copper1
Topic Author

What Do You Do To Relax?

Sat Sep 16, 2000 1:11 pm

Other than spotting aircraft etc. I was wondering what do other members do to relax ?

Some people ( including my wife ) think I am weird but I like to go to cemetery's to relax. The grounds are generally spotless and well kept. The bigger cemeteries have benches where I can just sit and think things through.
The best part is the residents are really quite.

I also enjoy reading the headstones and trying to imagine what the person went through during their life.

I live in the country and about 1 mile up the road from me there is a small country cemetery. It has been full for years and the oldest stone belongs to a settler from the area who was born in England in the mid 1700's. I often go there and try to imagine what his life was like. I usually come away thinking that I don't have it so hard compared to that poor guy who busted a gut just to live day to day.

Well, thats what I like to do to relax, how about you ?

Copper1

777YYC

RE: What Do You Do To Relax?

Sat Sep 16, 2000 1:30 pm

SLEEP!

Trvlr

RE: 777YYC

Sat Sep 16, 2000 1:32 pm

Took the words right off my keyboard...

Aaron G.

copper1
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2000 1:34 pm

OOOOOH, how witty on both responses. HAHAHA.

Sleep is highly overrated.

Copper1

desertjets

Sat Sep 16, 2000 3:37 pm

Hmmm... sleep isn't always relaxing.

I usually put on some music, some Miles Davis, and lay back and relax and let my thoughts run down.

Or I go out for a drive in the mountains. Take in the scenery. Roll down the windows and take in the cool air. You should try it, unless you don't have any mountains.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

TWFirst

Sat Sep 16, 2000 10:46 pm

I polish my dolphin.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Sat Sep 16, 2000 11:13 pm

My, TWFirst, we do leave very little to the imagination, now don't we?  

firefly_cyhz
Screener

Sun Sep 17, 2000 12:15 am

I like to lay down in bed and watch the video I made while working at the fire department. I know there are only about 10 calls I taped but they are still just as fun to watch everytime. I also like to listen to the fire dept. and police on my scanner when I am not listening to the airplanes, but this sometimes gets me jumpy when the fire dept. toner goes off and I jump out of bed and then realize I am in my house, not the fire station. It happens elsewhere too like in math class last year when I was sort of dozing and the PA came on and sort of sound like the toner and I jumped up in the middle of class and started for the door. Man that was embarassing. And then of course ther is the airplane thing, but I won't get into that because you all know what I mean!

TWFirst

RE: N-156F

Sun Sep 17, 2000 2:30 am

Whachoo be talkin' bout Ben? There's nothing wrong with polishing my sterling silver dolphin statue on my coffee table. What's wrong with that?? I use Wright's Silver Polish, and carefully polish away all the tarnish. When I'm done, it's beautiful and shiny. Very relaxing. I don't know what you could have meant by your comment.. unless... you mean... no... you couldn't have....you didn't think for a second I meant.... BENJAMIN CORBY!!!! That dirty little mind of yours. Shame on you! Does your dad know you think those things??? You should be spanked!

Sun Sep 17, 2000 2:50 am

riiiiiiight......

Sun Sep 17, 2000 2:57 am

Surf the web ... or lying on my bed.

Adam84

Sun Sep 17, 2000 5:41 pm

I go floating in my pool soaking up some sun or I sleep or I tinker with my car.

L-188

Sun Sep 17, 2000 6:21 pm

I used to go Ptamigan hunting if they where in season.....

Fishing works good too.

I also have found precision work to be relaxing. But only when it goes as planned, not when you are figiting with some piece for over an hour.

One of these days I need to build a reloading bench. There is a hobby that has a practical purpose and is precision work.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Hole_Courtney

Sun Sep 17, 2000 11:44 pm

I go outside on my porch and read a book. it's really relaxing.

Or sometimes I go for a walk, especially when it's cloudy. The stillness of the dark clouds always puts me in a better humour.
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

DeltaRNOmd-80

Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:40 am

I read a magazine in my bed, usually The Source, GamePro or Football Digest or watch TV in my room.

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:28 am

I like swimming, I love the water.

AC_A340

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:55 am

Put on my headphones and listen to a compilation CD I've made. It's got a bunch of slow songs on. I also like to drive, except the scenery in Manitoba is anything but breathtaking. Or I watch movies or look through yearbooks:DD

Mon Sep 18, 2000 2:03 pm

TWF,

Polish your dolphin? Don't tell me you have one of those ghastly statues? lol (I have this wonderful image of you polishing up a frenzy.)

I like to put the roof down on my car, take off my shirt and put Kylie on the CD full volume. Sometimes I even wear a cap on backwards.....

mb (I don't sound like a screaming Q do I?)

ILUV767

Mon Sep 18, 2000 3:30 pm

I play my drums!  

All of the stresses of the day go away with every hit to the toms.

NJTurnpike

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:00 pm

I read this messageboard.

Maybe I should get out more?

~NJTurnpike

dk

Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:17 am

One of the things I do to relax is walk along one of the most spectacular and beautiful coastlines in the world here in the State of Maine, USA.

Ilyushin96M

Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:21 am

I love to take a nice, long ride on my mountain bike. It's very relaxing. Also, I enjoy building model planes - it hones my concentration skills. Nice, long, hot baths are great, too.

IL96M

lax2000

Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:35 am

Surfing is pretty relaxing for me, unless the waves are huge and I'm in fear of my life.

Sometimes while surfing I see dolphins, Maybe I'll try polishing them.

Adam

redngold

Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:54 am

Well...
I used to go cross-country skiing.
Now I go driving (yes, I know I'm an "energy pig" for driving solo...)
Since I have two kitties I can always lie down and pet them (they will ask for it as soon as I stop moving)
I also read or write or play the piano.

Since I have ADD, it's often more relaxing for me to get more stimulation than less.

redngold
Up, up and away!

TWFirst

RE: Lax2000

Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:58 am

I wouldn't recommend polishing dolphins while surfing. First, I think it would be difficult to stay on your surfboard. Secondly, I think you would be arrested. Thirdly, you may anger the owners of the dolphins, who may not want their dolphins polished.

mls515

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:29 am

I sit on my front porch and watch the world go by. Sometimes I'll be drinking a beer. In this college town people are out walking by at all hours of the day plus the sorority across the street draws some *nice* scenery.

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:43 am

I don't know.   

LH423

Tue Sep 19, 2000 9:33 am

I'm back in school now so my days are long and busy, but when I need to relax an de-stress I take a walk and/or spend money. I also like my computer, so the internet and flight sim also often beckon. I also have a great love for music, with Travis and Sarah McLachlan being my favourites.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:34 pm

I could do different things, sometimes I go and walk
along the beach or I may go swimming, sometimes
I like to stay home either reading & listening soft music
such as Kitaro or Iwould do my favorite hobby(build a model airplane).