ctbarnes
Topic Author

Olympics TV Coverage

Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:36 am

Since many of us are watching the Olympics on Television, I thought I would ask what network is covering the Olympics in your home country, and whether you think their coverage is any good.

NBC is doing the coverage here in the US, and my personal opinion is that it's dreadful. I watched last night for about 90 minutes (as I said in a previous post) and found only about 20 minutes devoted to actual sport. The rest was commercials and so much exteraneous fluff such as personal profiles and history and other bits.

While I admit to liking a bit of it, I really wish NBC would simply show us the sport!

Your views and comments welcome!

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

RE: Olympics TV Coverage

Mon Sep 18, 2000 7:48 am

it sucks that we dont see it live

avion

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:12 am

Well in Switzerland SRG 2 covers it and its all live! It starts 00:30 each day!
And its almost no commercials. Also Eurosport does a very good job. http://www.eurosport.com

Avion

iflycoach

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:29 am

It's true NBC has crappy Olympic coverage.
Not to mention on the opening cerimonies the anouncers sounded like they were at the Rose Bowl Parade or somthing!

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:13 am

That's cause in our country (USA) it's all about freaking money money money...They are showing alot of coverage in terms of hours using NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC but the quality of the sports coverage is way way way too much fluff. Alot of it is actually boring...some things are good, like the "GM Olympic Moments" thing about the history of the Sydney Opera House, but the rest is overdone, I hope people complain and then maybe NBC will get it right next time....too bad cuase I believe the Sydney Olympics will go down as one of the best ever.

P.S. AND THEY SHOULD BE SHOWING IT TO US LIVE GODDAMMIT (they could repeat it on tape later)

tbar220

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:35 am

Surf, I couldn't agree with you more. NBC is just pissing me off, because the olympics are a three week event that only comes around every other year, and in a different, unique city. But NBC has to show a whole bunch of bull about this and that that really doesn't matter, and they don't show the sport! And to many [email protected]#%ing commercials!!!! I wish I was in Europe now, watch Eurosport coverage...so much better......sigh.......

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

copper1

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:42 am

I have the benefit of being able to pick up the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ( CBC ) as my country's network or picking up the NBC feed.

Both are awful.

I am far from an expert but I get sick and tired of these has beens and never weres telling me what is going on. I can see damn it !

With the amount of money NBC paid for the coverage I would have thought they would want to cover more events. I have two reasons why I don't think they do. The first is they are too busy covering events that Americans are projected to do well in. There is nothing wrong with this but don't give me a tear jerker story about some athlete from Idaho who's maternal grandmother passed away. SHOW ME SOME SPORTS, even if there are not any Americans in the event. The second reason is they are catering to the ever growing female audience. As with any new comer to an event , NBC feels that they need to explain all the rules and make it personal. Women are smart enough that they will pick it up on their own. Most Olympic sports are not rocket science. Whoever crosses the finish line first, throws something the furthest or lifts the most weight is the winner. End of story.

The CBC is just a waste of taxpayer's money and they have too many nice stories and athlete profiles. Again, show me the events.

Thats the way I see it.

Copper1

ctbarnes
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:56 am

I couldn't agree more, Copper1. I was in the UK in the early 90's and I loved BBC's coverage! The sportscasters assumed the viewing public had a brain, plus the emphasis was on the sport.

Pity about CBC's coverage. I had always heard theirs was superior to what we were getting in the US. When I was in Seattle over the Summer, we got CBC on cable, and so could get decent news by watching The National. The irony was I knew more about what was going on in Canada than what was happening in the states...

Charles

Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:09 am

Charles

What you say about the Poms is true. Even more so for us Aussies (some regard us as the biggest sport-loving nation on earth....something I have to agree with).

Even when the Winter Olympics are on we still get it live on TV (as we in Perth are with the current Olympics in Sydney....too wucking feasy) even if it does means staying up all night to watch it (we also get highlights and such in prime time).

One thing that the commentators assume is that we know all about the sports we are watching, even for events which are relatively unknown in Australia like curling, ice hockey, Greco-Roman wrestling.

One good thing about having the O.G. here at the moment is that we don't have to sit thru all the extra crap on Australia (seeing as we live here we should know about it already).

Cheers

Scotty

sn330

Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:33 am

NBC Sucks. It takes the fun out of watching the Olympics when you already known whose won via the internet or newspaper. I agree though, that NBC does way too many athlete profiles. Also, the least they could do is show us all the info on the triathlon in one grouping, not stop it halfway and then show us two other events and then come back to it.
By the way, congrats to Canada for fielding the first ever male triathlon gold medalist.

Peter

Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:41 am

I also hate the NBC coverage. Not only is it not live, but they hardly spend any time actually showing the sports. They keep talking about the athletes. People watch the Olympics to see sports. NBC is awful.

copper1

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:04 am

NBC.......NO BLOODY COVERAGE

polaris

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:45 am

In Canada, six networks are covering the Olympics (three English and three French). English: CBC - Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, CBC Newsworld (mainly interviews and updates), TSN - The Sports Network; French: SRC - Societe Radio Canada, RDI - Reseau de l'Information, RDS - Reseau des Sports.

CBC is carrying 288 hours of comprehensive LIVE programming.
TSN is carrying 207 hours of LIVE programming. Main focus: sailing, table tennis, water polo, field hockey, soccer, softball.

In the US, NBC is carrying 162.5 hours of all tape-delayed programming.
CNBC is carrying 65 hours of all tape-delayed programming.

According to the Canadian edition of TV Guide, ...Instead of trying to capture the drama of live programming, NBC has opted to air all of its coverage on a tape-delayed basis. According to NBC Sports president Dick Ebersol, this enables it to present a family-friendly Games to US viewers. "American viewers say, 'Tell me a story,' not 'Who won?'" With this in mind, NBC has prepared 130 vignettes that will air nightly...

I am lucky enough to have access to five of the six Canadian networks airing the games and both NBC and CNBC.

I agree with Ctbarnes about NBC's coverage. Americans can write to Dick Ebersol with their complaints. I have to disagree with Copper 1 about CBC. I find their coverage extremely good!

copper1

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:52 am

Perhaps in my haste I did not make myself clear. There is no doubt that the CBC is far superior to NBC and their coverage. However, there are still way too many feel good stories on CBC. My biggest beef with the CBC however is they allow political ideology to run their coverage. ( oh yea, Brian Williams, the lead announcer, is a yahoo )

Copper1

NJTurnpike

Tue Sep 19, 2000 7:56 am

Last Olympics, I was living in the UK, and happily watching the BBC's coverage. No-nonsense, straighforward, focused on the sports and the participants.

Now I live in the US. I can marvel at the amount of sponsors, I can listen in dumbfounded amazement as the commentary team fail to er...commentate. I can watch my tv's lurid NTSC-ified pictures of kangaroos and majestic sweeping shots of Sydney Harbour.

And I might be able to eke out 4 minutes of coverage, if I'm lucky. It's depressing, and I've lost all interest because the Games on NBC are hidden amongst a tidal wave of fluff, over-presentation and commercially cloaked 'product'. The sport and the spirit of the Olympics is in there somewhere. I'll be damned if I can find it.

~NJTurnpike (who obviously fell out of the wrong side of the bed this morning)

ctbarnes
Topic Author

RE: Olympics Spirits

Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:46 am

NJTurnpike:

I think you owe us a couple of gulps! (See Brissie Lion's drinking game post).

Charles

Laserjet

Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:10 pm

In New Zealand - TV One is covering the Olympics. They are doing a pretty good job, although a lot of people complained that they delayed some coverage that was advertised as live. By the end of the opening cermemony, we were 45 minutes behind the actual events happening. They also seem to have flown a lot of people over there, as commentators - it alright for some.

NJTurnpike

Tue Sep 19, 2000 9:55 pm

Hey Charles, I just read Brissie's Drinking Game idea. Sounds like a decent plan. Of course, I'd end up falling out of the wrong side of the bed in an alcoholic stupor, but hey - if that's the only way I'm going to be able to face NBC coverage, then so be it  

~NJTurnpike

B-707

Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:42 am

In the UK we are spoiled for choice. The BBC covers just about every conceivable Olympic sport live. On two BBC channels with NO adverts at all.

If that weren't enough, Eurosport is covering the Olympics 24 hours a day. When there is no live action, they show highlights until Australia starts up again.

VirginLover

Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:38 am

I'm so sick of "And little Johnny when we was four had a garbage can put over his head which changed his swimming career forever" Give us the sports... not the Sh-t!