Olympic A-340
Topic Author

Texas Instruments- TI 83 Plus Help...

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:45 am

Hey...
I just purchased a graphing calculator for school the TI 83 plus... can yuo guyz tell me how to put games on it (such as snake or bowling or other things like that). I would prefer to hook up another TI 83 that has the games on it, and simply upload them to my calculator rather than getting them from my computer. Also if you could tell me your opinions on it.. is it good and reliable I heard it was. Thanx
Arrivederci
<~Athens 2004~>

FlyVirgin744

RE: Texas Instruments- TI 83 Plus Help...

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:50 am

Big mistake, should have bought an 89. They do a lot more and will help you in the long run, plus better games!
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Olympic A-340
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:53 am

Well i dunno I was thinking about it... i am gonna get a new graphing calculator in 12 th grade I am only in 9th... so I opted for the TI 83 plus.
Arrivederci
<~Athens 2004~>

cba

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:46 am

My geometry teacher said that the TI-83 plus is the best graphing calculator. He said that the 85's and 86's are crappy, and you won't be able to use an '89 on any math test at the school, even in the Calculus classes.

AC_A340

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:42 am

They're right, the TI-89's are not allowed on some exams. It is quite easy to get programs from another TI-83/Plus. I have the plus. First you turn off both the calculators, plug the supplied cable into each of them. They should turn on, if not, turn them on.

For the sender
press:
2nd Function (yellow button)
X,T,theta,n (link)
Press enter beside all programs you wish to send.
Press right arrow to highlight "TRANSMIT"
Press "Enter"

For The Receiver,
2nd Fuction (yellow button)
X,T,theta,N (link)
Press right arrow to highlight "RECEIVE"
Press "Enter"

Just make sure the receiver is ready before the sender sends the files, otherwise you get an error and you'll have to do it again. As far as getting the stuff from the computer, you have to buy a "TI-Graph Link". They cost about $20 CDN. I just got one the other day.

If you require more info, refer to the operating guide, or feel free to email me.

desertjets

Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:14 pm

I am an owner of an original TI-83, made in 1996. It has served me well, from pre-calc, calculus, and now statistics. Don't go for the fancier calculator. The TI-83 will do more than you will EVER need it to do for you in high school or even in college. Unless you go onto advanced math in college, by then you will want something like an HP48X, it will do you fine. Plus many tests, like the SAT, and the Advanced Placement tests will not allow you to use certain calcs, in my day it was the TI-93. The 83 has to be the best graphing calculator made by Texas Instruments... I just laugh at those using -82s and -85s.  
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AC_A340

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:36 pm

Get the Plus, it has more memory and therefore can hold more games and such. Plus I think it looks better.

LH423

Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:00 am

I used to know it by heart, but that was before my TI-83 got stolen. Yeah, I'm a little bitter 'bout that, but oh well, life goes on!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

desertjets

Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:23 am

Getting the Plus b/c it has more memory for games??! You do realize your math teacher will have your head on a platter for that. THEY HATE THAT. Just make sure you save enough memory for important programs like the quadratic formula on your -83. Me and my friends used to get in trouble in AP Chem b/c we used to write notes to each other on our calcs and passed them back and forth in class. We were such dorks.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AC_A340

Tue Sep 19, 2000 9:50 pm

Absolutely none of my teachers have gotten mad about the games on my calc. I even gave some of them the games. I've also got equations and such on there that the teachers would be more mad about and yet they don't care.

ILUV767

Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:31 pm

None of teachers have gotten mad at me either about games on graphing calculators. If you play them after a test, while others are still working, they don't care.

The best graphing calculator is the TI-92. My math teacher has one...he says that they are banned from use in High Schools. Anyone know why?

Joge

Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:29 am

Hi,

ILUV767 wrote:
-------------------------------
The best graphing calculator is the TI-92. My math teacher has one...he says that they are banned from use in High Schools. Anyone know why?

I think Ti-92 is too "powerful" to be used on High School, because of some included functions.

http://fly.to/joge
Bula!

Joge

Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:40 am

Hi,

I have the Ti-85, but as I know, it's quite similar with the Ti-83. Anyway, making a Ti-83 to PC -link cable shouldn't be hard. I've made one for my Ti-85 and it works. The software you'll find from the Net as well as the cable instructions. The cost of the components is about $7.

http://fly.to/joge
Bula!

AC_A340

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:57 am

There is nothing at my high-school that says the TI-92 is not allowed.

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:40 pm

You guys in America are allowed to use graphic calculators for exams??? I don't believe it! When I got my baccalaureat last year, we were not allowed to use anything of that high power. And here, at university, we may not even use our own calculators AT ALL. They give us crappy, unreliable Casio fx82 SUPERs, really old....

But I love the TI-92 anyway, use it for the labs and calculations etc. But my professors (and fellow students) were quite shocked when seein it, impressed with size and power, believing it was a handheld PC....

AC_A340

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:44 pm

How much does a TI-92 normally go for?

thai747

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:12 pm

For the course I'm studying, ( Mathematical Methods - Standard Level ) in the International Baccalaureat course you're only recommended to use the TI-83 as all the textbooks based their methods on this calculator model. Those of us who bought Casio graphic calculators before the course were forced to get a new one (or sit in class like a lost duck ). And TI calculators in Thailand are very hard to find.. and very very expensive.. most of us ended up buying them from Singapore or Hong Kong.

When i was doing my o levels ( GCSE ) , no graphic calculators were allowed

And.. if anyone's found playing games in maths class, the teacher will delete all the games off your calculator.. there goes your high-scores... > 

desertjets

Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:08 am

Tests like the ACT, AP, and IB do not allow the TI-92. It basically does too much of the work for you. Plus there is no advantage to forking out the $200 for them when you can't use it. Plus most texts are now designed around the 82 or 83 anyways. However... I am going to have to agree that high school math classes have put too much emphasis on graphing calculators. most good scientific calcs can do more than you need. The TI's just make it easier.

modesto2

Thu Sep 21, 2000 5:43 am

The 92 is not allowed because not only does it do the work for you...but it SHOWS you the steps involved in the solution. So the calculator displays, step by step, the solution to the problem...much more involved than just an answer! And to all the high school students: don't get too used to the graphing calculator! My friend at the University of Virginia says he cannot use it at all! You have to know how to do the math by hand before you can use the calculator! And those games...I'll give you guys a year or two and then they'll get old. Trust me!

AC_A340

Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:48 am

Then why the hell is our school making us buy a graphing calculator if we can't use them in University?

Are there any Universities that allow it?
Does the ACT llow the TI-83 Plus?

desertjets

Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:58 am

*lol* One day you will learn that there is a lack of wisdom between how high schools teach math and how universities teach math. The shitty thing is that more and more high school math textbooks are being designed around these calculators... specifically the TI's. Which I think is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Most universities seem not to care about calcs, varies from instructor to instructor. If you want to calculate a derivative you have to show your work and do it out by hand... no more NDeriv's from your 83.