Pacific
Topic Author

The Most Bizarre Sueing Cases

Mon Sep 18, 2000 8:58 am

I've heard some bizarre cases in the US. I think most people would know about McDonald's and Coffee:

A lady goes and buys coffee at McDo. She goes into her car to drink it and spills the stuff. Burns herself and sues McDo for making too hot a coffee. Case Won.

Another one:

A new neighbour asks permissions to hammer things at their own house. The person gives permission...and sues later for noise. Case Won.

In the future...?

A pax who got stuck on the back seat of a DC-9 sues for excessive noise......

Anyone know of any other bizarre cases?

N863DA

RE: The Most Bizarre Sueing Cases

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:04 am

Welcome to the land of over-zealous money-hungry lawyers.

There was a guy a couple of years back, in Kansas City, Oklahoma a couple of years back, where he put up a ladder to paint the side of his house. - While on the ladder, he was painting and the ladder fell backward cartoon style, with him ending up underneath, with minor injuries. The crux: He sued HIMSELF, and, the worst part, WON! His insurance company paid out millions of dollars in compensation. This must be the MOST ludicrous one I've heard. (Not to say that they're not all completely loopy.)

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Ilyushin96M

Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:57 am

I've heard some pretty pathetic, disgusting things in my day...but this one takes the cake:

And armed robber was in the home of a family, had broken in during the night. This man had a gun, mind you, which makes it obvious he'd have killed anyone who came upon him. Whilst looting the home, said burglar falls on a toy left on the stair, breaks his leg. Sues the family whose home he was robbing, the lives of whom he was planning on taking were it necessary for him to accomplish his foul deed...and won the case.

The judicial system in the United States makes me sick.

n949wp

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:33 am

In which state did that pathetic case of robber-sues-victim occur? I'm sure there are some states in the US where the state judicial system is more screwed-up than others.

'949

Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:51 am

here's one:

A Sergeon in Beverly Hills, CA (USA) pre-ordered a $60k BMW. When they shipped it in the wrong color, he sued for $4M. he only got $2.6M

Adam84

Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:06 am

The thing I though was wierd about the coffee from McDonalds was that the lady went through the drive through, put the coffee cup between her legs and drove off, then it spilled.

N312RC

Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:29 am

listen to this...

A black man shoplifts something from a lord and taylor store in detroit. He is apparently strangled by a BLACK security guard. Then Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Geoffrey Fieger turn it into a RACIAL incident. Come on, they were both African American!!!
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

sn330

Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:38 am

I think we should go back to the days of Hammurabi, where in order not to tie up the courts, if you couldn't prove a lawsuit, you were killed.
I think it is stupid on how people can sue because of their stupidity played a part in the incident. The US government and law system is very much corrupted and screwed up these days.

Mon Sep 18, 2000 1:44 pm

In Australia most of the litigation for strange or the downright stupid is done by suburban white trash who think they can get something for nothing.

Let them choke on their mega mall chocolate surprise.

mb (who is feeling very generous today)

Ilyushin96M

Mx5_boy

Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:13 am

Hehehe. Same in the US, man. Either suburban inbred white trash morons filing stupid lawsuits, or else idiots like that stupid slag who spilled her hot coffee and didn't want to take responsibility for her own moronic actions.

I wonder if as many people get away with this crap abroad as they do in the US? I'm also of the belief that people who waste a judge and jury's time by filing these stupid cases should be punished. Maybe not by death, but by a fine in the size of the day's salary lost by everyone who had to participate in the case, and on top of that, maybe an idiocy fine of about $500,000.