B737-112
Topic Author

Jury Duty

Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:18 pm

Is this something that only a few countries participate in or is this worldwide, bring regular "Joe Dumbass" into a criminal or civil trial to decide the fate of an individual? Or are there some places that hire professional juries, like we need here. Or is there no such thing as jury duty in most countries. I had to go today and sit in a waiting room for 5 hours and then get excused, all this for $15. They played a video about how lucky we are to be selected and to participate in the fun trial, almost like it was a Disneyland ride. My day off work sure was wasted by this. Feedback Please........

Ilyushin96M

RE: Jury Duty

Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:52 pm

I've been called for jury duty a few times, but luckily I've been out of the country. If I am called, I wouldn't consider it a priviledge at all. Yeah, sure, they can tell us how "priviledged" we are to be "allowed" to participate in the trial, but who is going to make up my lost work time and salary? I think the judicial system should be obligated to compensate jury members for whatever their weekly/hourly pay would have been since they are forced to miss work. I also would not choose to use my paid time off to be on jury duty.

mls515

RE: Jury Duty

Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:04 am

At jury selection tell the defense, "That guy looks like a guilty m-----f-----!" and see if you get selected.