Tarantine
Topic Author

Airliners.net Is Slow!

Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:43 am

Why in the heck is the www.airliners.net site so damn slow? I surf the net for hours (connect at around 45,500bps) and every think seems ok, but when I go to airliners.net, it seems like I am at 14.4 speed! Is this just me or what? By the way, I love the site though!
Regards,

mls515

RE: Airliners.net Is Slow!

Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:02 am

Well the site is hosted offshore in Sweden I believe so that might make it load slower than other sites you visit.

You can download and use for free an easy graphical ping program called Ping Plotter that will show you which computers relay your communication with airliners.net or any other site. Sometimes the name of a server will include a geographic hint of where it is.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10071-100-885885.html?tag=st.dl.10001_103_1.lst.td_885885

AC_A340

Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:06 am

It must be a problem with your computer or ISP because I connect at around 47,000 and this is the fastest site on the net.

Starship

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:04 am

AC_A340, you are indeed lucky to connect at 47 000bps. The best I have seen for the past two weeks is 31 200bps, although with a different ISP I saw 57 000 on the odd occasion, but that was also from a different location. Right now, I am having the same problem as Tarantine. The pages just do not want to load. It's also not a hardware problem. I'm running on brand new equipment - IBM Deskstar 13 Gig Harddrive, Pentium !!! 733MHz Coppermine CPU, Creative 56K V90 USB Modem etc.
Behind every "no" is a "yes"

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:29 am

What web browser are you using? You might try a different one.

My default browser is Internet Explorer 5 with my lightening fast cable modem. I too was getting annoyingly long page loads here. I figured it was the Airliners.net server that was bogged down. I downloaded the latest Netscape Navigator trying to solve an unrelated problem and stopped by Airliners.net and was amazed at the speed in which I could get through. I don't have a clue as to why Netscape works better, but I don't really care. So now I use Netscape to access this site and IE for everything else!

Let us know if this solves your problems!

Tarantine
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:30 am

Thanks starship. I don't know what it is. I love scanning through the airliners site, but it gets so slow I have to leave! I use compuserve and netzero as an ISP & neither one I use is any faster accessing the site. I guess it's time for DSL.
RT

Starship

Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:40 am

I am using IE 5.0 I do recall downloading 5.5 from tucows.com on the previous computer and that worked well - maybe I'll give it a try.
Behind every "no" is a "yes"

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:17 am

hmmm.... i'm only getting about 250k....