copper1
Topic Author

Things That Upset Me When I Am Driving

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:46 am

1. Tailgaters
2. People who think the road is their ashtray.
3. Approaching a set of traffic lights on a four lane road. In the curb lane is two transport trucks. The second truck in line pulls into the passing lane so it is not stuck at the red light behind the first truck.
4. The price of gas.
5. People who don't signal.
6. People who signal their turn miles before they actually turn their vehicle.
7. People who can't drive even close to the speed limit. If you have to drive that slow to keep control of your car then you shouldn't be driving.
8. Radar ( unless I'm running it )

I am sure there are lots of other things that can e added to the list but I will give the rest of you a chance to add your pet peeves.

Copper1

DeltaRNOmd-80

RE: Things That Upset Me When I Am Driving

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:27 am

I dont drive, but when I am riding, things that irritate me.

-Slow people
-people who have their brights on and dont bother to turn them off when they get close to you (most highways in nevada are two lane, no dividers)
-when you are doing the speed limit and people get up on your bumper
-flies  

Starship

Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:32 am

1. People that drive with their fog lights on on a crystal clear night with no fog or rain in the whole state. (BMW drivers - take note!)
2. People that brake every time they see a hint of anything that looks like a bend or curve.
3. Elderley male drivers wearing a hat.
4. Drivers that don't shift over out of the 'fast lane' when you come up behind them at 200km/h
5. Unroadworthy vehicles.
6. Minibus taxis (a unique problem in SA - apparently exempt from obeying any rules of the road whatsoever!)
Behind every "no" is a "yes"

nwa man

Wed Sep 20, 2000 12:47 pm

1. Slow drivers in the fast lane.
2. People who tailgate you when the fast lane is open.
3. People who tailgate you when you're already going 85 mph.
4. People who drive UNDER the speed limit whenever they see the police.
5. People who slow down when the police are already busy pulling someone over.
6. People who slow down when the police are speeding by with their siren and flashers on IN THE OTHER DIRECTION.
7. People who don't know how to drive a stickshift but still take their car out on the road.
8. People who use their brights in places where other drivers can see them.

and 9, one of the funniest (and most outraging things) in my driving experience....

Yesterday, a guy BLATANTLY cuts me off, so I honk and give him the "one finger salute." Then, the guy flips me off. Hmmm, you cut me off, AND you flip me off? Dumbass.
Create your own luck.

mls515

Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:49 pm

All well said. It's a good thing that I don't carry a firearm.

mls515

flyf15

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:20 pm

People that drive crazily because they are not sure where they are/where they are going, erratically stopping and changing lanes...

desertjets

Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:28 pm

The smuck in the 4Runner in front of me while pulling out of the Albertson's parking lot that does not know how to start on a hill in a stickshit. And people who tailgate you when you are already pushing 90.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AC_A340

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:41 pm

Elderly drivers that take forever to make a turn.
Elderly drivers that drive so incredibly slow in the fast lane
People that make right turns from the left lane, and vice versa.
People that tailgate when you're already going 120
People that don't accelerate quickly when they pull out in front of you
People that don't signal lane changes
People that slow down when they see the police in the opposite direction.
People that can't drive a stick yet still drive on city streets during rush hour.

Can't think of any more

dk

Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:53 pm

People who don't understand what YIELD means!

People who do understand what Yield means but do it while going 80mph on the highway yielding to people coming onto the highway (they slam the brakes on to let the person in, not being able to get over to the other lane as there is traffic there) it is supposed to be the other way around folks!!

Ilyushin96M

Thu Sep 21, 2000 1:58 am

NWAMan summed up the things that annoy me with regards to people's reactions to police cars. Here are a few in addition:

- People who drive minivans - they usually don't know how to drive!

- People who drive SUVs in inclement weather as if they are invincible - four-wheel drive is no excuse for recklessness.

- People who STOP at YIELD signs when there is no oncoming traffic - YIELD DOES NOT MEAN STOP!!!

- People who speed up to pass me when I put on my signal to move over.

- People who drive UNDER the speed limit, either on the freeway or on city streets.

- People who drive while talking on their cell phones - almost every time, I notice they aren't paying attention to driving. There should be laws and fines for this.

- People who don't use turn signals - there should be laws and high fines for this.

- Women who put on make up while driving or at stop lights - get your face out of the vanity mirror, honey, and drive your damned car!

- PEDESTRIANS who walk out in front of my car as if they are any match for 3,000 lbs of metal!

Please be aware that all of these things and others will cease to annoy me when I purchase my Darth Vader Black Hummer, complete with missile armament and the optional tank turet! 

fanoftristars

Fri Sep 22, 2000 4:30 pm

This one takes the cake! I was turning left at a green light in my direction and this guy on the cross street who is talking on his phone and not watching where he is going runs the red light and I almost took him out when I was completing my turn to the street he was pulling out from. We both happend to have our windows down and he yells at me, "Why don't you watch where you're going @#[email protected]#@#!!!" and I was like, "Watch where I'm going? Hey buddy I had the right of way and I would have hit you it would have been your own damn fault! Hang up your phone and DRIVE!" Gosh I was so mad for like an hour after that. I truly have the disease ROAD RAGE! Somtimes I can't help myself. There was this lady going 28 in a 35 so I pulled up next to her in the suicide lane (middle lane) and told her to speed it up, the limit is 35. Turns out she doesn't speak english and she couldn't see over the steering wheel. Gosh it drives me nuts. How do these people get licenses?
"FLY DELTA JETS"

firefly_cyhz
Screener

Fri Sep 22, 2000 11:16 pm

About NWA Man's post:

"People who slow down when the police are speeding by with their siren and flashers on IN THE OTHER DIRECTION"

You should be slowing down and pulling over. I have seen many many times when an emergency vehicle responding to a call has to make a left turn across the road to get to a side street but because the other cars on the road are not slowing down the emergency vehicle has to stop and wait. If people slowed and pulled over the emergency vehicle wouldn't have to come to a complete stop and could cross the road.

c72

Sat Sep 23, 2000 2:19 am

This is something actually gives me a laugh: when somebody passes you up on a city street near an intersection to beat the red light and get stuck at the red light or at a stopsign as long as you are.

Steve

Sat Sep 23, 2000 5:15 am

Pedestrians that don't have a sense of what the walk and don't walk signs mean. The other day I was driving. It was a green light and this man saw I was coming fast trying to catch the green light and he decided to cross the street with his F&#*^NG stroller. And the funny thing is that he stared at my car and knew I was going that direction really fast. He took all the F&#*^NG time in the world to cross. The sign did say DON'T WALK!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

N312RC

Sat Sep 23, 2000 5:39 am

1. SUV headlights
2. SUV drivers
3. 500 dollar cars with 5000 dollar stereo systems playing Eminem full blast at 4AM.
4. Elderly folks who stop the car about 5 carlengths behind the car in front of them at a red.
5. Elderly folks who have the blinker on for 5 miles.
6. People that drive on the shoulder then cut in at trains, accidents, expressway backups.
7. Yellow light runners
8. Traffic during morning rushhour in Detroit
9. Dumbass kids driving "daddys" volvo, saab, mercades, etc.
10. When you change lanes to get into a faster lane during rush hour, you get in that lane, it stops, and the lane that you were in before starts moving again.
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

nwa man

RE: Firefly_cyhz

Sat Sep 23, 2000 12:14 pm

Well said. However, I meant when I am driving on the freeway, and I see a highway patrolman driving by at 80 in the other direction, and people still slow down.

All the things Ilyushin96M and N312RC said annoy me except yellow light runners (I confess, I'm one of them).

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

iflycoach

Sat Sep 23, 2000 2:11 pm

When ya get in the lane the bus stops in!
And no one will let you merge!

Pbb152

Sat Sep 23, 2000 2:35 pm

My biggest complaint is that many people here in Houston don't seem to understand the concept of the right lane being the slower lane and the left being the faster, passing lane. I take the Sam Houston Tollway (which is two lanes in each direction on the route I drive) quite often from home to school and the airport, and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten stuck behind some schmuck driving in the left lane right next to a car in the right lane at the same speed going less than the speed limit. My question is, don't these morons learn in driving school that the left lane is the passing lane? Truck drivers are just as bad. They are finally testing a law where truck drivers can't drive in the left lane at certain hours on a specific stretch of Highway 59 here in Houston. Hopefully they'll extend this to ALL freeways in the near future. Big rigs don't need to be hauling arse in the first place. They are much harder to stop and much less controllable than cars.

The only other pet peeve I have that hasn't been mentioned is the people who feel they need to throw on their brakes when approaching an intersection even when they have a green light. Believe me, we have our fair share of numbskulls here who do just that. It really gets on my nerves when I miss a light because someone is scared to go through an intersection. I think a lot of people need a refresher course in Driver's Ed.

Pete

Adam84

Sat Sep 23, 2000 6:47 pm

I have plenty. People that cant stop at the line at the light or stopsign, then you cant see around them if you are making a right turn. People that dont understand what a blinker does. People that fly up behind you and ride your bumper when you are already doing 5 over the speed limit and you are in the slow lane. People who pull out about 100ft in front of you and accelerate like they have all the time of the day (these are the people that I come flying up behind and ride their ass, they deserve it). People that cut me off. When I am trying to pass someone on the freeway doing about 80mph and someone comes flying up behind me and trys to pass me in the right lane then gives me the finger cause they couldnt get around. Here is the one that pissed me off the most. I was driving down this 2 lane road doing about 50mph in a 40mph zone when this minivan came flying up behind me and they rode my bumper for about a mile, I slowed down so they could pass and they came up next to me and flipped me off and honked their horn, well they passed me and slammed on the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road in front of me then they drove off. These people were about 80 years old, boy if I saw that guy again I would cuss him out.