Louis
Topic Author

Question For All You Tennis Fans

Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:46 am

Who is known with the hardest serve in the men's tour now? I know Rusedski has the highest clocked serve at 149mph, but I don't think he consistantly serves that hard. So, is it Safin, Rusedski, Ivanisavic, Philappossis or anyone else?

B-707

RE: Question For All You Tennis Fans

Fri Sep 22, 2000 4:51 am

Louis - I think you'll find that accolade belongs to Mark Phillippoussis of Australia. I am not sure, but I know Greg Rusesdki held the fastest serve for awhile. Remember, only the show courts at tournaments have a speed gun. So if you're on an outside court nobody will know if the fastest serve has been made. Some tournaments don't even have a device to read the service speed.

For the women. Venus Williams holds the record.

Louis
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2000 5:14 am

So it is Mark Phillippoussis. I always thought it was Ivanesavic. If he makes it far enough, he usually ends up with the most aces. His serve is just awesome. I also forgot to mention Richard Kreiceck (sorry if I can't spell the name). In the mid 90's, he was acknowledged as the fastest server. As for Rusedski, I thought he just held the record, but wasn't consistent serving at 130+mph.

cba

Fri Sep 22, 2000 6:33 am

How the hell does one return a serve clocking at around 130 mph? If your opponent is serving at those speeds consistently, then how do you return them? Serves are getting too powerful to have good rallies.

Louis
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2000 6:52 am

Thank God we have Marat Safin! He's the only big bomber that relies on his groundstrokes rather than the cheap, skilless serve-and-volley technique. Sampras' days are numbered. His groundstrokes were pitiful and a joke to watch! My only wish is that Safin was born five years earlier.

As for the returning those big serves, two words: Andre Agassi. It didn't matter how hard anyone served, he could bullet them back for winners. Too bad fame got into his head because he could have been so much better than he actually was.

dk

Fri Sep 22, 2000 9:15 am

Hey, you're talking about Agassi as if he were already retired, I think that he has a few more years left in him yet guys. The same for Sampras, don't count them out for at least a couple of more years!

I agree about the fast serves though, being too fast with no rallies in between. They, as in the powers that be in the tennis world, have looked into trying to slow things down by using heavier tennis balls etc. but it doesn't seem to be working!

(Hey Mark how are you doing? Any news about the Olympic tennis matches? I can't seem to find any info. about them!!)

B-707

Sat Sep 23, 2000 7:43 am

Hello, Dale. I am fine. I hope you're good too.

I posted a few things in the Olympic Tennis thread you initiated. I didn't want to put them here, Louis may get mad at me.