bombstar
Topic Author

Another Religion Post

Wed Sep 27, 2000 7:55 am

Before i begin, i just want to apologrize if the following offends you or anything:

I am an atheist, and i get PISSED off when others try to force their religion on me (particularly christians). I'm not a screwed up kid or a troubled child or anything, i was just born without a religion. I mean the reason why so many people are chrisitans or any other religion is because they believe whatever their parents tell them to believe and this keeps passing down and the brainwashing keeps going on. What do you all think about this?

777YYC

RE: Another Religion Post

Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:06 am

I agree with you 100%.

flyf15

Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:09 am

I have the exact same experiences, but I rarely have people try to force religion on me, usually I am in a group of relgious people and seperated from them cause I am not like their kind...

Hole_Courtney

Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:49 am

grow up dude.

i'm not religious either. don't get me wrong, but you're saying, basically, that all christains do not have minds of their own. that is untrue. Granted, there are many christains that seem to have every word of their pastor memorized. that's the minority of christains. most christains are very good people. they believe in what they believe, and it's always good to have something to believe in. same thing goes for all other religions.

I used to think like you: hating other religions because they seemed to be "forced" onto me. nothing is being forced unless someone says "if you don't believe this i'm going to bust your head open." religious people are just telling you what they believe. and, in their eyes, i'm going to hell. big deal. i got over it. and because I did, I get along with people a whole lot better. yer just doing reverse discrimination when you call them names and stuff like that. think about it.

can't we all just get along?!
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

ctbarnes

RE: Bombstar

Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:33 am

Please note I do not take offence at what you said, but I think it's a bit unfair to lump all Christians into one big stereotype and make generalizations about them.

Most people who claim to have religion foisted on them when they are young simply leave or do not practice. Those that either remain or join later have about as many reasons for being members of a church as they are members.

I was born Catholic (baptized two days after I was born) but have remained in the Catholic Church by choice. Not because it's convenient, or because I was brainwashed by nuns in first grade. Nor will I try and convert you or push my religion or my spirituality down your throat. I have what I believe to be a strong commitment to God and a religious vocation which calls me to serve His people. That does not include proselytizing. If you wish to talk about God I will engage you in conversation. If you do not, we can talk about something else.

If someone wants me to respect the fact they are an atheist, that's fine. They have my respect. All I ask in return is respect for the fact that I believe there is a God.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:49 am

Hole_courtney:

EXCELLENT! You made your points very well and I wish that everyone was like you. Many people on this forum post boneheaded comments about religous people that they should have thought trough before posting. I can respect you because you understand how things really are and you have a high level of maturity. The next link I click will be to let me add you to my respected users list. 

Bombstar... if you only knew the inaccuracy of the second-to-last sentence of your first post.
First off, a very large portion of the Christian church came to the religion not because of their parents, but by other means. I know of absolutely NO brainwashing occuring in the church (I cannot speak for all denominations of Christianity... as I recall, the Heaven's Gate Cult believed in Christ and they were brainwashed into killing themselves. I do not regard these extremist cults as part of the Christian church).

Also, what I have noticed, is that some self-discribed atheists have accused Christians of 'forcing' their religion on them, when nothing of the sort was occuring. That is why I get mad.

I wonder where the real brainwashing is occuring???

All I have to say about the first post is:  

redngold

RE: Bombstar

Wed Sep 27, 2000 11:01 am

I'm a perfect example of how a person cannot be "brainwashed into Christianity".

I was raised in a very strongly Christian family -- attended church every Sunday, even went through a period where I tried to memorize the entire Bible. I would fast and pray on Saturday mornings when I was eight years old. By the time I was a teenager I was still going to church every Sunday but only to sing in the choir.

I just about gave my gramma a heart attack when I told her I thought I was Jewish because I didn't believe in Jesus Christ. I only believed that God existed because I knew there was something keeping me alive to suffer through my teenage years despite my recklessness. (note: I also feared dying because I knew there was some sort of God out there I would have to face, too.)

When I went to college I found out there were a bunch of Christians living on my floor but when I went to their group I was frightened and uneasy with all of the singing and praying, and most of all, by how happy they were. My brain screamed "CULT get OUT of THERE!" and I never went back that semester...

But even though I didn't go back, those Christians on my floor became my best friends and I found that I agreed with them on most moral issues. That's what I needed the most -- and found with them. They didn't change my mind. In fact I had a terrible fight with my best friend only hours before I experienced my conversion.

Now I'm not going to go into all of it right now -- if you want to read my whole story, go to http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/1124/testimony.html and have fun. But it took a special moment, a quiet moment by myself, for God to reach out and touch my heart so that I could understand the true meaning of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Not only that, but that the sacrifice was made for me.

And you.

But you don't have to believe me.

redngold
Up, up and away!

bombstar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2000 11:17 am

Okay, I can see i've gotten some pretty interesting long responses on this topic, so i'll try my best to reply to all of you since i dont got a lot of time on my hands. I actually respect other people's opinions and i respond to all critisim unlike some people that hide in the dark.

First of all, i never said anything about brainwashing in churches, i'm just saying that when kids are little they believe what their parents tell them, and most people i know do not think for themselves and don't really know why they believe in "god". Second, i never said anything about discriminating other religions, i dont judge people by the colour of their skin, their racial background or their religious beliefs, i said that it pisses me off when people tell me to "burn in hell" or think i'm a screwed up kid when i mention the fact that i'm atheist. I dont care if someone is muslim, christian, jewish, whatever, i find it stupid how people get into wars over religion simply because the opposing party doesn't believe in "their god". About the christian sterotype, i do apologrize for that, i didn't mean to offend anyone, i just said chrisitan because it was the majority of what most people believe it. (if your not christian you know what i mean)

thats all i have to say for now.

Greeneyes53787

Wed Sep 27, 2000 1:05 pm

Well, my wife was raised Mormon. But she thought about it after a long time with them, she was even a teacher, and changed to a faith that makes more sense to her. She was searching.

GE

Greeneyes53787

RE: Redngold

Wed Sep 27, 2000 1:18 pm

Thank you for that wonderful testimony. God calls us all. Many answer with "Go away." Then they just say they don't believe.

My call is to be analytical on this forum, but I'd like to see people give your kind of story of the burdened heart revived by God.

GE

Hole_Courtney

N766AS

Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:15 am

thanks!
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:08 am

I'm jewish, but not really spiritually. More of like a club membership. I like Christians, my first gf was episcopal. My roomate is southern baptist (he tries to convert me all the time its funny   ). I don't have that many catholic friends, now that i think of it, but I'm really too insecure about myself to hate or think I'm better than anyone.

tbar220

Sun Oct 01, 2000 2:19 pm

To all of you who are interested on the topic of religion, there is a great book out there which does a terrific job of making fun of religion. The satire in this book is very good, but it brings home a very strong and true message. The book is Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. He is currently my favorite author, and liked by many readers around the world. Any comments? Thanks.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature