Danes Say No To The Euro

Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:16 am

Unfortunately, the Danes have said no to the Euro. I know the Scandinavian countries are fiercely independent, but do the Danes really believe this is the best decision for the long term? Or is this a short term decision based on the performance of the common currency to date? Evidently, the Danes saw this as a vote against eventual political unity, but even the most optimistic supporters of a United States of Europe realize this is decades away. What do the Europeans here think? Any Danes here? Will the Swedes follow with a similar decision?

RE: Danes Say No To The Euro

Sat Sep 30, 2000 4:48 am

The Danes were unsure, according to the UK papers, of whether to join due to the Euro's low value, and the fact that they don't like the idea of being in a US of E!

Like you said, they are fiercely independent, and suspect that their culture and customs would gradually disappear, and they would then be forced to mix with a "foreign" culture; it's a fear.

I can't speak for Sweden, but I do know they will definitely be having a referendum ie.the people will decide by vote-like Denmark, but not for a few years according to their Prime Minister.

We're in the same position as Sweden (England), and our population are just like the Danes, they are deeply suspicious of the "EU", and don't want their culture changed by being in one single Europe.

They also feel passionatly about their currency, which is among the strongest in the World.

Since I don't know what joining a single currency would mean for me, and companies in this country, I don't yet have an opinion on the issue.

ctbarnes

Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:52 am

Considering how the Euro's doing right now, I can't say I'm surprised the Danes said no. Rumor also has it Germany too is starting to have second thoughts because of the drag the low value of the Euro is having on their economic recovery.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

avion

Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:11 am

Well currently the low Euro is hurting the world economy and also the US. A low Euro means less european investor money and thats bad for the whole world!

Avion

Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:19 am

However, it theoretically should be helping European exports by making them cheaper.

N863DA

Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:53 am

While I have no intention of starting a war, this could be (this is ONLY an opinion) the beginning of the end for the Euro - or AT LEAST a very significant milestone.

The Danish vote is not just about the Euro itself - it is about losing sovereignty, something that as stated above the Danish have a lot of and have a right to keep. As Capt.Picard says, it will be the same in the UK... it is not just about the Euro itself. It is about the principle.

And you have to feel sorry (well I don't but you know what I mean) for countries like Germany and France, which have had their economics severely weakened by being brought down to the level of (soon-to-be) countries such as Poland... (soon to join the EU) the countries have to be at the lowest common denominator. Hence the reason Germany is having second thoughts.

And can I just point out that Swiss people have as little right as us Americans to tell the UK, Denmark or Sweden what to do... let the people decide... as neither Switzerland nor the US (obviously) are even in the EU.  

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:00 am

I believe Capt. Picard hit the nail on the head when he said this is about fear. Over time, I believe the Danes, Swedes and Brits will see differently. Change is hard for a lot of people. I think the French minister who stated on the day of the Euro launch: "Today, I am no less French, but I am a little more European" had it right.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:13 am

I feel bad about the Danish ( 54% of their voters ) decided against joining the Euro now. Anyway they benefit from an EU with open borders. They have still an open door and I guess they will join the currency anyway sooner or later.

avion

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:56 am

N863DA:
Poland joining the EU is still a long step away. I dont see them joining the in the next 15 years.
The Euro is a nice idea but at the moment it is too low.

This is most likely because European companies such as Vivendi or deutsche Telekom have bought american companies for big $$. That brought the Dollar to a high and the Euro to a low. That means there was a bigger ask for dollars as the european companies needed dollars to buy the companies. And the economies were not devaluated only the curency is currently low.
I believe it will go up steep in the next ten months as it is very undervaluated!

Currently its having a very bad influence on the world economy as the investor money from Europe is worth less.

In the long term the Euro will bring a great deal of advantages to all participating countries.

Avion

RE: Avion

Sun Oct 01, 2000 1:11 am

Sorry Avion, but the the plan is for Poland (as well as some of the other top-tier candidates) to join the EU by 2005.

avion

Sun Oct 01, 2000 2:16 am

Ontimearrival:
And you honestly think that they'll reach the economic level of Germany or France by 2005? No thats impossible.

Avion

N863DA

Sun Oct 01, 2000 3:18 am

Ontimearrival is correct. The whole point is that Poland is supposed to join the EU relatively soon - and their greatest problem is that their currently-open border with Ukraine will have to be closed and brought back to the way it used to be.

This is not what Poland wants... but they desperately want to be in the Euro as it offers prosperity for such a downtrodden nation.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is changing, (Avion already knows where I stand) and it must be said that I am all for open borders between all European countries - Denmark, the UK and all. However, you cannot yell and scream if a country doesn't want to join the Euro. If all nations were as prosperous as Germany and France, then I would be all for the UK and Denmark joining the Euro as it would be a force to be reckoned with. As yet however, it has not proven its worth quite as much as might be hoped for...

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

avion

Sun Oct 01, 2000 5:17 am

Well N863DA i agree with you that a union between Italy, France, Germany, the UK, Benelux Nations, Austria and Switzerland would have been much better as these nations are the "power pack" of Europe but if you start doing a union you cant leave the others out!

Formally Poland is to join by 2005 but i dont expect them to really make it!

Avion