USA Bad Losers...

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:36 pm

USA - admit your shame. Tonight at the wrestling I witnessed two American gold contenders behave in an inappropriate and disgraceful way, even though they were winners of a Silver medal.

The first burst into tears and refused to wave at the crowd or admit gracious defeat.

The second behaved like a 5 year old and - wait for this - the whole stadium booed him.

Not in any of my Olympic event visits have I heard a whole crowd resoundly "boo" a competitor. This guy was cheered as he received his silver medal - then booed after he only made a bow to the American contingent. He then proceeded to be as arrogant as possible and received more "booes" resoundingly from the crowd.

After numerous medal ceremonies and what not, I cannot believe the disgraceful behaviour of 2 American atheletes. Has there been more? Did anyone see it on television?

Is it any wonder that everyone at the Olympics does not want to see America win anything? The arrogance, the hype and the bad loser syndrome.

Take a step back America. You are not the best at everything and the bad behaviour of 2 atheletes (that I saw) proved a valid point.

Those two competitors should be proud that they achieved a Silver medal. What sort of mentality is driven (or should I say drivel) into your minds?

mb (*sad* to hear any competitor booed - only USA)

RE: USA Bad Losers...

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:57 pm

I am not going to day anything untill I see it.....Which won't happen untill tommorrow night with the tape delay.

Sat Sep 30, 2000 9:03 pm

I have witnesses, perhaps the US broadcasters will not show it...

Wouldn't be surprised.

mb

dvk

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:30 pm

Stop with the generalizations! If they behaved badly, that's one thing, but it's totally unfair for you or anyone else to attack all of us because of what a couple of people did. You think only Americans ever behave badly? What about the female Russian gymnasts after they won silver in the team competition? Their behavior was less than exemplary. You and all the rest of the non-Americans need to stop preaching at us about what's wrong with us. We aren't perfect, and we have countrymen who don't always behave perfectly, but your generalized attacks reflect more poorly on you than on us. I would never be so stupid as to attack all Australians, or any other nation, because I know better. You could stand to learn the same. And for those of you who will try to tell me to lighten up, and learn to laugh at myself because I'm an uptight American, I assure you that I know how to laugh at myself quite well. There is nothing humorous about all these posts trashing us, though, and any of you who are from other countries would be fed up with the constant bashing of Americans in this forum if it were being done to your countrymen.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

LH423

Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:50 pm

I love how you suddenly jump into action when two American athletes have bad manners. Funny how you stayed silent when over half the Russian women's gymnastics team took off their silver medals in disgrace as they walked out of the arena bearly acknowledging the audience. This sort of generalisation doesn't deserve anything more from me. Unless you have something better to add, just don't.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:19 pm

Ummm....Mx5_boy, I haven't seen it yet, but isn't the wrestler who cried the one who actually WON the gold only to have the other wrestler protest and so the referee calls a rematch and then the American now has to take the silver in the rematch? I haven't seen that yet match yet and I am very curious to see just *why* the other wrestler had to protest after HE lost and was supppsed to get the silver.

BTW what about the Russian female gymnasts who tore the silver medals off their necks after the team competition? This is behavior that happens in nearly every Olympics by athletes from many countries. Are you telling me you've never seen this before by any country but the USA? And then to generalise to the whole of the American team? Please, get the chip off your shoulder, now.....

Mx, I am dissapointed in you at the moment. I know you Aussies are proud etc of your games but you are sounding extremely arrogant yourself at this point, and extremely unappealing. After your post I'm starting to wonder if I should now side with the other U.S. posters here who say they are tired of the arrogance of Australian posts on this board. Don't let your pride in your Olympics get out of hand. Are you sure you didn't have to much champagne tonight?

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:22 pm

BTW, the wrestler who lost his gold medal after a protest in a rematch was shown on the NBC nightly news here in the U.S., that is why I know of it.

dvk

Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:33 pm

Another news flash--A bunch of Japanese fans have made threats against a Judo referee from New Zealand because of how he handled a final in which a French athlete prevailed over a Japanese athlete. One of the Japanese fans even threatened the life of the referee. Mx5, are you going to show some consistency now and preach about what bad losers all Japanese are?

avion

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:13 am

Face it- nobody likes to lose. It sure is bad to behave like that but its not exclusively an american thing.

Avion

Trvlr

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:17 am

This is just one big dis against everyone....

Aaron G.

v jet

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:20 am

Guys as a proud Aussie I'm embarrassed by these posts. We are all respectively from great countries each with their good and bad points. Everyone here is very proud of the way these Olympics have been run and I guess that gets in the way of keeping things in perspective. Having seen a lot of interviews with American athletes on TV they all seem to be having a great time and saying how friendly and helpful the Aussies are etc. From my own experiences during many trips to the United States I have never been treated poorly and have met some of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet anywhere. It has been wonderful to see it all and be excited at the stunning success on the track and in the pool etc by the Americans and also the Australians and for that matter any of the medal winners by they gold, silver or bronze.
Now can we let this rest and just move on and be happy that the games have been a great success for the world, not just the US or Australia.
Thanks for reading.

VirginLover

Sun Oct 01, 2000 6:02 am

"My dad had a bad flight on Virgin so it's gonna end up like Pam Am and Laker"

Remember this? (I know it's not from you) That's had as much sense your post. Remember how much controversy came out of that? I'd advise you not to post crap like this again.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Sun Oct 01, 2000 6:38 am

At first they were preaching "Australians are competitive", then when someone from the US 'supposedly' dislikes getting a silver medal (they should appreciate it, but..) they jump all over them.

Sun Oct 01, 2000 6:51 am

Dvk,

If you read my post, I am referring to specific events that I have attended. And yes I have seen on the telelivision the "less than exemplary" behaviour of other atheletes.

Everyone,

I knew when I posted this it would probably inflame a few people. But some of you have failed to question a point I made. "The crowd booed the competitor." Why? The crowd had a strong Korean, Polish, Iranian, Russian / Eastern european, American and Aussie contingent.

I was more shocked by the crowds behaviour than two Americans. Is it a reflection of opinion? Is it odd that the guys in the office are pleased when an American loses? (Those opinions came from when an American athelete passed an inflamitory comment on how the Americans were going to "smash" the aussies in the pool like string guitars or something along those lines.) Maybe it's plain old America bashing? Tall poppy syndrome?

A note on Atheletes behaviour. When we place our atheletes on a pedestal - "The pride of the nation" - we expect them to behave graciously and to set an example, just like anyone else who has been elevated to a high public arena.

To excuse the first American athelete for "crying" or bad loser syndrome as he was denied a the gold due to a re-match is perhaps understandable but still no excuse.

My apologies if this post has upset some of you, however perhaps it's time to take a look at ourselves. I will be interested to hear anyones take on the crowds behaviour and sentiment.

mb

tbar220

Sun Oct 01, 2000 6:55 am

The Olympics are meant to be a time of peace and harmony among all nations of the world, in a competetive manner. It is working. Look how the Koreans came into the opening ceremony, look how happy the East Timoreans were at the opening ceremony. It is this spirit of competition and respect which makes the games so great. Losing is so hard when it takes you your whole life to get so far and then lose, and no all athletes take it well. But they do respect their opponents, and other nations they compete against. If we can reflect this respect and be friendly to one another on a topic so simple as the Olympics, that would be good. Thanks.

Tzvika
NO URLS in signature

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:24 am

No mb I'm sorry I find nothing wrong with the US wrestler crying. He worked so hard to get there, he won the gold medal, then had it taken away from him. His dream was realised, then taken away. I don't blame him for crying at all. He was crushed. And I bet if you were in his shoes, you would have donet the same thing, possibly. Can you imagine what it feels like to be on that center stage, the dream of your sporting career coming true then WHAM they tell you "NO sorry, do it again, and becuase of that you LOSE it? It's almost cruel!!! I heard that the Romanian gymnast cried too when she found out about her team doctors mistake. Athletes cry. I admit there are some situations were it seems crying might be a bit much, but in certain cases it is perfectly understandable as you have said yourself and there is nothing wrong with it. They invest their hearts, souls and emotions in their Olympic dreams, really you are being way to strict here. Just imagine being in their shoes!

Regarding people in your office being happy when the US loses, well of course they would be, I mean the US (and the former USSR) have ALWAYS dominated the medals. Once again, the US is coming out the top medal winner with the most golds and most medals over all. That's just the way it is. The U.S. has money, and good training. And for other countries to love to see us lose, well that is understandable too. Some of it is jealousy, and some of it is the fact that it's great to see the winners become losers. That's normal.

Frankly I was hoping so much that the US basketball team would LOSE LOSE LOSE and I can't WAIT to see the US basketball team lose!!!!! I had to check out the Olympic website to find out who won the game against Lithuania even though there were just two minutes left becasue I couldn't wait for the end of the game on television! I've hated the US basketball team since the '92 Barcelona games, especially that ASSHOLE Charles Barkley. I never liked the idea of NBA players being in there and Charles the ASS killed it for me FOREVER, and I am an American!!!!

Anyway your comments were way harsh and over done. I haven't seen the matches on television yet, but when i do I'll comment some more.

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:42 am

It is sad but to you all, these athletes represent you and your country. Their actions at a time like this is what other nations think of the US.

Virgin Love give it up and grow up!
Iain

dvk

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:56 am

I read your entire post, Mx5. You didn't just talk about the behavior of two American athletes, you got on your America-bashing soapbox again. If you don't similarly condemn all Russians for the behavior of their gymnasts, and the Japanese for the behavior of their Judo fans, you are a hypocrite. More importantly, to condemn any entire nation for the actions of a few is arrogantly stupid, and that's what you've been doing, regardless of how you try to explain your posts. I've been to Australia, and I loved it there. Most of the people I met there were great, but I did meet a few Aussie turds. I would NEVER condemn Australia in any generalized manner just because of those few people's behavior. That's what you need to learn.

Sun Oct 01, 2000 10:40 am

So far, no has had the brains to ask "why"? Why did the crowd behave like that? Why is there such sentiment?

Surf,

You make no mention of the US atheletes behaviour? The first guy who cried, big deal if he cried, it was part of the whole behaviour episode that the crowd saw as bad. I am still interested to see if they show the incidents.

I do not think my comments were "way harsh" or overdone. In all due respect I have seen some shocking posts on this site that make my so called US bashing aboslutely tame.

I was not one of the people who booed the atheletes, that sort of behaviour is bad form in my books. I am so glad I never posted some of the comments I heard said about Americans being bad sports by fellow members of the crowd. I'm curious as to why, why would the crowd cheer the others and not the Americans? Was it because of the wrestling? Was it the ethnicity of the crowd? Is it because of some silly comments by one of your swimmers that was taken out of context (unfortunately) and splayed all over our Nations newspapers? Is it some perception of arrogance?

As I have said many times before I love the USA and it's people. I am employed by an American company. I choose to travel there for my holidays and I don't have any particular axe to grind with any of you.

mb (*smile* - got a rise out of ya [email protected]!)

VirginLover

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:13 am

Iainhol, for once I wasn't yelling at you, so cherish the moment and don't make me start.

VirginLover

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:36 am

Iainhol- Oh yeah, and BTW.. since you live in the USA... be nice if you didn't give in to generalizations (NOT valid points- then I wouldn't care) about the country that you live in.

Sun Oct 01, 2000 12:28 pm

Mx, you really are making no sense now. First you say that Americans must admit their shame, now you are saying you were criticizing the Audience?

YES they showed him crying on the NBC news, I saw it!

As far as the wrestler who you said "acted like a 5 year old" I haven't seen it, so I can't say. And as I was watching the tape of the opening ceromonies today, I may have missed it. As far as why the crowd booed the guy, I don't know becuase I haven't seen it. I can say however that the United States is a country that other countries love to criticize. We are the wealthiest nation on earth. We are the most powerful nation on earth. We wield the most influence of any nation on earth. The world looks to us to protect them. Some maniac dictator goes out of control somewhere and the world looks at us and says "okay, US what are you going to do about it?" People plead to our country for help. For economic aid. For military aid. "UN" peacekeeping forces are 95 percent American and only 5 percent token military personnel from other countries. It's not easy being the big guy everyone looks up to on the block. The person in the number one spot will also get the most criticism. It's a fact of life.

Now I DID see a bunch of US athletes make assholes of themselves after they won one of the relays last night (Sydney time) and would have deserved some chastisement from the audience, for sure.

I like you, but your original post was offensive to us Americans on the board. Maybe you didn't mean it but maybe it what wasn't what you said but how you said it?