Opening/Closing Cermonies Sydney 2000

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:05 am

I just FINALLY watched the Opening Ceremony on tape (I was on a flight the night it aired, so I had my brother Fedex me a tape from California, and only now I got to watch it). It was a great show. I enjoyed it. The torch lighting was a bit iffy though.....boy I bet that was nervewraking for the producers!!!! I'd put that as probably the *second* best torch lighting (even if the lift didn't stall) I did find it beautiful, however.

The best torch lighting EVER (in my opninion) was the Barcelona '92 games. I mean, a FLAMING ARROW...shot through the air to light the cauldron? My god the opportunity for THAT to go wrong was so great and HE MADE IT. How awesome and beautiful in it's simplicity and elegance!

Anyhow I can't wait to see the closing ceromonies of the Sydeny games...those fighter planes that are going to spew burining jet fuel (dump and burn) are going to be quite a sight! It almost makes me nervous....   But I'm sure it will be spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D

RE: Opening/Closing Cermonies Sydney 2000

Sun Oct 01, 2000 7:27 am

:DD

Sun Oct 01, 2000 10:55 am

Surf,

You'll be in for a spectacular show, as will the rest of Sydney and the world. There will be fireworks exploding from Homebush Bay all the way along the harbour to the Bridge - about 8kms. Culminating in huge celebrations accross the city and the biggest fireworks display ever staged.

The closing ceremony will be great, but the parties and celebrations accross the city will be even better. We are staying home to watch the ceremony and fireworks, we have a near view of the stadium in the distance and the city on the other side from the second storey of our house!

Last night, besides some atheletes and spectators bad behaviour I manged to congratulate the Korean bronze medalist and had my picture taken with him. He came over to where we were standing waiting to leave and thanked us for our loud support. Apparently the Korean girls behind us mentioned that we were cheering him on loudly.

This guy also gave his boquet to an elderly olympic volunteer, totally blowing her away.

I agree that the lighting of the couldron in Barcelona was the most spectacular yet. Keep an eye out for our F1/11's tonight - I feel a little uncomfortable about what they are doing. The whole area around the Stadium is surrounded by suburbia.

mb

LH423

Tue Oct 03, 2000 5:37 am

Damn! I missed both the opening and closing ceremonies, but I was reading in the Boston Globe today, and they have hailed the 2000 Sydney Games as the "best ever"! Quite an amazing feat when you consider all the amazing games that have occurred in the past.

Congratulations Sydney, and Australia, for pulling off the best Olympic games...ever!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry