Topic Author

Closing Ceremony!

Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:53 pm

WHAT A AWESOME SIGHT

speechless

AC_A340

RE: Closing Ceremony!

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:01 pm

What, the Olympics is over? I thought it was still on for another little while.

Pardon my ignorance I guess.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:08 pm

Congratulations to Sydney and the people that made the Olympics one of the best ever! From afar I've just witnessed a great event that picked everyone up and carried them along in the true spirit of the games. While showcasing what is surely one of the worlds great cities.

I only wish that I could have been there and from the minute the games began I just haven't been able to get that Qantas ad and it's tune out of the back of my mind......

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

tim
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:12 pm

OIY OIY OIY!!!!

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:20 pm

The best olympics ever !!!
Go Sydney Go !

Granite

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:21 pm

Hi all

Sorry to put a dampener on things but I thought it was a bit over the top  

regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:34 pm

Oh c'mon Gary

I thought it was great!

A tear in the eye with Christine Anu singing "Island Home"

Slim Dusty singing "Waltzing Matilda" is always awesome, but in front of 110,000 people is absolutely spectacular

My favourite parts....

Well the drag queens were great.....very Australian

Oh yeah...did you see all those Speedo wearing hunks? Didn't see one white cheek among them.    

And Yothu Yindi singing "Treaty" just continued what seemed to be indicitave of these Olympics in bringing Aborigines and us white fellas together.

All I can say is that Athens has a hard task ahead of them if they are to beat this one.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE.....OI OI OI

Cheers

Scotty

Jubilee777

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:40 pm

Well done Sydney,

It was a great closing ceremony. The flame has now departed for Athens (saw the small flame that shot out after the flame was extinguished ??)

J777

AF Cabin Crew

Bravo!

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:00 pm

Congratulations Sydney and all of the Australians for putting such a good show.
Also to all the athletes, well done.

See you in 2004 in Athens, Greece.

AF Cabin Crew,

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Alain Mengus

Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

Trvlr

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:46 pm

Everyone in the United States still aren't able to watch it yet!!! NBC sucks.

Congratulations to Sydney for the "Best Olympics Ever" as the IOC prez called them!    

Aaron G.

Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:02 am

Sydney 2000 was awesome !!!
I kinda liked Vanessa Amorosis "Absolutely everybody" but also the speech of Juan Antonio Samaranch was very good.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie .... Oi, Oi, Oi !!!

Thanks to Australia !!!

Rgds, B737-700

BTW : Glad to hear some Americans admit that Sydney was even better than Atlanta.

v jet

Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:20 am

I have not yet seen the closing ceremony. I was lucky to be right at the very front of the Sydney Opera House with an uninterrupted view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and all the associated fireworks. I was amazed, I have not seen a fireworks display like it anywhere. Incidentally the two young American guys beside us were totally blown away. To all the American users here pls read the following letter that was published in the Sydney Morning Herald today 2Oct.

Just returned from my second trip to Sydney.

Since my first visit six years ago, I have always said you were the
nicest, most gracious and hospitable people on earth.

This has not changed.

We certainly enjoyed the Olympics and all that Sydney had to
offer, but it was the people who were so friendly that made our trip
so wonderful.

We have vowed to maintain a better attitude to make the United
States just a little better place to live.

Thank you all so very much.

Ken and Lissa Ross,
Napa, California (US), September 27.

Pls dont take all the crap that has been written on this board in the last few days serioulsy for that is exactly what it is, crap. Sincere congratulations to the team from the United States for their success and also to all the teams. This is what the spirit of the Olympics is all about not berating each others success.
Each country has its strength and weaknesses and we should all accept that.
Again we are gracious and hospitable and I hope that many of you can visit here in the future if you havent already and that you are given as wonderful a welcome as I always have had on many trips to the United States
Regards
Maurice

Mon Oct 02, 2000 2:11 am

Admit that Sydney was better than Atlanta? There's nothing to admit, Atlanta was HORRIBLE!!!

mirage

Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:16 am

Congratulations for the wonderful closing ceremony. That moment when Slim Dusty was singing Waltzing Matilda and 110000 persons joined him was incredible, very emotional.

Mon Oct 02, 2000 1:24 pm

Granite,

Just be thankful that they were not held in Manchester. And don't be jealous of Sydney being "over the top". We just like to have a great time.

Vjet,

Stop sucking up to the yanks and certainly don't apologise on my behalf, even if you didn't mention my name. You disgrace yourself like a typical aussie of old... Like 15 years ago. Be proud to stand up and say "sucked in" we were the best on the day!

A bit of Aussie pride never hurt anyone.

mb (*a big cheer to everyone who competed and who enjoyed the event*)

v jet

Mon Oct 02, 2000 2:19 pm

Um mx5 boy I didnt apologise and I'm certainly not "sucking up" to the yanks as you so eloquently put it. I dont think I disgrace myself at all. Why should we stand up and say "sucked in", what a mindless comment. Yes it was a great success and something that I am proud of but is there really any need to continually gloat about it?

oxygen

Mon Oct 02, 2000 3:48 pm

What a great night full of fireworks. Just after watching the olympic fireworks live on TV, I look out of ny window and saw the National Day fireworks. But this one wasn't as good as the Sydney one.

Granite

To Brissie

Mon Oct 02, 2000 4:14 pm

Hi

OK I concede.........it was quite good, the closing ceremony.

The bit I was interested in was watching the bridge as I made it to the top last November.

Anyone who goes to Sydney has to do the Bridge Climb. Money well spent and if you are scared of heights.........still do it......makes your adrenalin go sky high  

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Mon Oct 02, 2000 5:20 pm

VJet,

Since I am in an concilitory mood, NOT. Yes you are obviously a monarchist. Yes you do suck up to the yanks. Stand up and be counted as an AUSTRALIAN. Do you feel that you need to subjigate yourself to the Americans? Inferiority complex? The "sucked in" comment was a joke. Read my posts and they are full of piss taking.

You my friend need to take a lesson in national pride and the ability to stand up and be a proud Australian. We didn't have a certain opera singer at the closing ceremony, even though she asked to be included, because she was a monarchist. Not a chance.

I was going to say "grow up" but I read your profile - not looking for a royal standing of any sort?

mb (*god save the queen* - the one with the limp wrist*)

EIPremier

Mon Oct 02, 2000 5:41 pm

Who forgot the ducktape for Bob Costas??

Mon Oct 02, 2000 5:47 pm

I'm an Aussie, and we rocked! I think we have some good atheletes, but so do the USA, and the other countries.

One word for the Closing Ceremony

**Spectacular!!!!!!!**

v jet

RE:mx5 Boy

Mon Oct 02, 2000 7:57 pm

Well well well, I'm really happy you think you know me so well from reading my profile on here. If you must know I am not a monarchist by any means and was very dissapointed that the republic vote didnt get up last year. I have plenty of pride just not the type you seem to be so well endowed with. I dont feel the need to constantly rub peoples faces in it. I take it you are referring to Dame Joan Sutherland. In my opinion she should have been there as she is a great Australian. Whether or not she is monarchist or republican has nothing to do with it. Did you want all monarchists locked out of the ceremony?

N863DA

Tue Oct 03, 2000 12:08 am

I was wrong about Australia. You aren't a easy-going society. RE: V Jet stands up for what he believes in (he, unlike most people, doesn't believe that the world's greatest tyranny is inflicted by the US and UK) and you attack him like a starving pack of wolves.

You attack with all guns firing at V Jet when he merely states that, unlike you, does not share your disdain for our nation, (and the UK too) and immediately you think he ought to 'grow up'. You are probably the most intolerant person on the board if that's what you mean when you implied it! Australia is supposed to be a democracy - (you remember that, you can choose not to vote...) so conceed that other people have opinions too - differing opinions.

So let me get this straight. When Australians 'stand up and be a proud Australian.' that's patriotic. (But only left-wing Australians are allowed to do that, right?) When we do it over here, it's paranoia and tyranny? Yes I'm patriotic and it must be said that this Southerner (as discusssed before) is certainly getting hot under the collar reading such un-reason.

And while I think of it, do not moan about NBC not showing the 'Drag Queen' part of the parade on US television. Don't forget that in some states (particularly in the South & Southwest) it is illegal to be gay. And American's don't all want to see that either. So you watch your TV - we'll watch ours. And we'll keep out of each other's political hair shall we?

And BTW it may be considered 'cool' in Australia to hate the rest of the world, but in the rest of the world, the only people it's 'cool' to hate are the French. (JOKE!!)

Someone has to inject some humor into the latter half of this post........

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Granite

Tue Oct 03, 2000 6:57 pm

G'day Gary

Although I haven't yet done the Bridge climb, it is definitely on the cards next time I am over east. And at only $120 it is well worth it.

Bridge Climb

Another thing which would be great to do is climb to the top of the Sydney Opera House, which Sam Riley did during the Torch Relay.

Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:38 am

I'll be doing the Bridge Climb when I'm down there.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:09 am

well said N863DA, you put the arrogant mx5_boy in his place. Good Job

iflycoach

Who Was...

Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:11 am

Who was the first person to sing during the closing cerimonies. All I know is she was an Aussie and a woman.

TWFirst

RE: Iflycoach

Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:17 am

Olivia Newton John. She sang "Let's Get Physical"

An unexamined life isn't worth living.

iflycoach

Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:56 am

That's not it she had black hair and they put her in the middle on this globe like thing that said cya in athens 2004.

TWFirst

Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:58 am

I was joking. Was it Tina Arena?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:08 am

I saw part of the rerun on NBC  

The only part I saw was when this old guy was singing 'Waltzing Matilda', good rendition of it though, especially with the crowd singing.

iflycoach

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:32 am

That's it thank you!

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:42 am

Wasn't it Vanessa Amorossi? (sp?) (Tina Arena only sang in the Opening Ceremony.) VA sang Absolutely Everybody. Was that the woman?

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:45 am

I just noticed you said the FIRST one to sing. Wasn't it Christine Anu singing "Island Girl" (or a name like that.)

v jet

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:46 am

It was Christine Anu and the song whe sang was called "Island Home"

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:48 am

OK. I knew it was Island something.

Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:52 am

I didn't mean to make those duplicate boards. Sorry guys.

kLm-Md-11

Wed Oct 04, 2000 2:27 pm

First one to sing is Nikki Webster!!