747-600X
Topic Author

Mr. Rogers, Signing Off...

Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:09 pm

After 33 years on the television, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood will be ceasing production. Reruns will be aired (for those of you who really miss it), but in any case... it's just a classic and it's going away. I think he's 73 now, so... sounds good to me.

RE: Mr. Rogers, Signing Off...

Wed Nov 22, 2000 9:58 pm

Wow, a true legend. I hate that trolley and the sweater though.

AA737-800

Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:36 pm

I hated that show. My mom and I would watch TV together when I was young and see that man and see that it was the only show on and we would make fun of him so much until we couldn't breathe anynore. Those were the good times. I think secretly I might have liked his show, but maybe I was too proud to show it. I think it is a good thing that he is retiring though, I mean 73 years old and 1000 episodes (Newsweek) is a lot. Its best to take it easy. There have been too many people that just dropped dead on sets from heart attacks from too much stress, etc.

Jack

747-600X
Topic Author

Thu Nov 23, 2000 2:47 am

Now that would be a site,

"It's a wonderful day in the neighborhoo-" EEEEHHHHK... cuplump.

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood - 33 Years Without Medical Trauma Ended as Rogers Collapses etc., etc.

(boy, do I need a sense of humor or what?!)

seven_fifty7

Very Strange...

Thu Nov 23, 2000 5:24 am

According to 747-600X's profile (where he finds it necessary to convince us he's highly "intelligent"  ), 747-600X is supposed to be in the 16-20yr old age range.

A 16-20 year old loyal fan of "Mister Roger's Neighborhood"?! ...Hmmmmmm.

I personally find it peculiar that someone at that "intelligence" level & age range would rather sit and watch "Mister Roger's" everyday than, say, C-Span, CNN, MSNBC, or even the Discovery Channel.

Can anyone tell me how many 16-20 yr olds YOU know that are hooked on Mister Rogers, Teletubbies, or Sesame Street? The majority are probably more interested ER, Law & Order, Dateline, or even sports. Right?

It leads one to wonder how old 747-600's friends are. (Or how young).

Very strange, indeed. -I wonder what's really up with that guy?

SEVEN_FIFTY7

Thu Nov 23, 2000 5:56 am

SEVEN_FIFTY7-

If you had been paying attention to this discussion, you would know that Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood has been on for 33 years, making 747-600 a prime canidate for watching that show when he was growing up! Geez... Lay off!

Jack

PS
Am I the only one who it bothers that a topic about one of TV's most peaceful men can bring up such an argument? Let's all grow up...

ctbarnes

Thu Nov 23, 2000 6:45 am

Fred Rogers taught several generations of Children that it is OK to be themselves and that they are loveable for who they are. I still remember the first shows in black and white.

I for one will be sad to see him go.

Jack:

Am I the only one who it bothers that a topic about one of TV's most peaceful men can bring up such an argument? Let's all grow up...

Too right!

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

AerLingus

Fri Nov 24, 2000 7:14 am

Mr. Rogers was the only man who could have a show that truly levelled with young children. I don't know how he did it...
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

EIPremier

Sat Nov 25, 2000 7:03 pm

I have to admit, I had no idea Mr. R was still making the show!!

I did watch Mr. Rogers back about 9-11 years ago, and even then, the shows they were airing were old...like from the 1970s.

I would hope they've updated the set, and Mr. R's wardrobe on the newer shows...it was heavy on the earth tones.

desertjets

Sun Nov 26, 2000 9:48 am

I think anyone aged 8 to 80 can be a fan of Mr. Rogers. I remember growing up watching him on PBS. I still get a kick out of watching it today. It just goes to show that you didn't need flashy graphics and catchy tunes to win over childrens heart. It is/was the man's paitence and honesty that gained him the love of millions of children.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AC_A340

Sun Nov 26, 2000 10:29 am

I always watched that show growing up. It always made me mad that he kept changing his shoes and sweater. That trolley got annoying too. I especially liked it when Mr MacPheeny came by with the mail and it was a video about how they made something. Or it was cool when they went somewhere in his neighbourhood.

747-600X
Topic Author

SEVEN_FIFTY7

Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:14 pm

You suffer from the great 'stereotype'... what on Earth makes you think intelligent people don't like watching entertaining television. AND... I don't recall having said I was a particularly great fan of the show.

Sorry  

Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:43 pm

I was flipping across channels one time and came across him in the airport. I kept it there and he went into a US Air DC-9, it was pretty cool, It showed the cockpit and the cabin very well.

To simple though, he was like:

"This is an airplane"

"This is where the cockpit is, it looks to complicated, doesn't it?"

"This is where people sit down and ride in an airplane"

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

SQA340

Tue Nov 28, 2000 8:27 am

Hey Boeing747-400

I saw the end of that show when I was flipping thru the channels. Wasn't he talking to a US F/A? I just saw him walk out of the jetway after he talked to the F/A.

I can remember one where that weird mailman with the goatee went to PIT ATC. This was back in the 80s. I saw a US Air 737-300 land. It sounded pleasent with the light jazz in the backround. It had the UGLY paint scheme.

Mike