dk
Topic Author

10SNE1?(Tennis Anyone..?)

Wed Jan 17, 2001 11:51 pm

Haven't followed much tennis news lately, but now that the Australian Open has started I'm in the mood...Does anyone know what happened to Venus and Serena at the end of last year? They seemed to have dropped of the face of the earth after the Olympics, I was thinking that Venus was going to be number 1 after her incredible summer but she didn't even show up for the women's year ending event at Madison Square Garden!?
I have also heard recently that Dokjic has switched countries? Something about not wanting to play for Australia anymore and now playing for Checkoslovakia or is it Yugoslavia??

Anyway the women's draw at the Australian Open seems deeper than ever so should be pretty exciting, and the men's side looks like it will be interesting too.

Hey B-707 (Mark) are you still around? How's the digital T.V. working out?

Dale.

LH423

RE: 10SNE1?(Tennis Anyone..?)

Thu Jan 18, 2001 3:41 am

"40-Love"

I used to always here this...just before I lost 

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

B-707

Fri Jan 19, 2001 9:27 am

Hello, Dale. How are you? I haven't been around the forums for a couple of months (long story)

I hope the holiday season was good.

Regarding the Williams sisters. You're right, they did disappear after the Olympics. Venus had aneamia(sp) so she couldn't play even if she wanted to. Serena was studying and decided not to play the end of year Chase. Did you see Venus' dress in Melbourne. It was a little much I thought. She didn't look comfortable at all.

Hingis is looking awesome at the moment. She looks very fit and even faster than 2000.

Oh, the Digital TV is excellent (thanks for asking). If I so desired, I could watch 12 hours per day (ten live) from Melbourne. Alas, life has to go on, and the hours are not good. I'm not complaining though. What's the coverage like Stateside?

Anyway if you're still awake. lol. I do go on. I know. I'll bid you farewell for now

Best regards, Mark!

dk
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2001 9:40 pm

Nice to hear from you Mark! I heard about the outfit that Venus was wearing but didn't see it...heard it was changed the day after she wore it!

Coverage here is fine if you want to stay up until midnight to watch it on ESPN2 so I try and tape it but am always forgetting!! The regular ESPN shows non-live coverage in the afternoon but I'm either too busy with work or forget again!! Must be age!!! I do get the results in the paper though so am keeping up with it that way.

Too bad Keurten is out..I think he's a great player and like his laid back style, doesn't seem as much of an automaton as some of the others. I agree Hingis looks incredible, I think she meets Serena in the quarters if they both get there.

Will post more later, glad to hear you are enjoying your T.V.!

Cheers,
Dale.

B-707

Sun Jan 21, 2001 11:41 pm

Hello, Dale.

Serena v Hingis would be worth watching. I'll even stay up in the wee hours to watch that one. On present form I'd have to go with Hingis. She did beat Serena last week in Sydney. As I have said, Hingis looks a different player this year. BTW, did you see the Chase Final at the end of last year? What a great match that was. It shows that Monica still has what it takes. Even though she lost.

I agree, it was a shame to see Keurten lose. I like his style and court presence. Sampras has lost too. The old veteran Todd Martin beat Pete in four sets. I like Todd, he is another player with a nice attitude.

Henman lost too, so I am happy. Now, just maybe they won't concentrate all their airtime to this man.

Oh before I go, yes you're right, Venus did change her outfit. Well, she didn't change it as such. She just stitched up the slit that was showing her cleavage. Less chance of her revealing herself in front of the Melbourne crowd I guess.  Smile

All the best, Mark.

dk
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:36 pm

I'm getting a little confused because of the time difference (I think that Melbourne is 14-16 hrs. ahead of us here) but I think that there will be or already has been some women's quarterfinals played...and Serena and Hingis will play each other..I agree Mark I would stay up to watch that one also even though it would mean me being a bear the next day from lack of sleep!  Smile
This is what I've gleaned from the morning paper:
Serena vs. Hingis (quarterfinal)
Seles vs. Mauresmo (quarterfinal?)
Davenport vs. Coetzer ?
Agassi vs. Martin
and that these will be played today or tomorrow I gather... I should find the web site to keep current but what fun would not being confused be??!!  Smile

I didn't see the final at the Chase but was pleased to see Seles get there, you're right she still does have what it takes, now if she could just lose a couple more pounds!! I would like to see her back at no. 1 before she retires (I bet she would like to see it too..!)

O.K. gonna try and watch some of that tape (should be able to as long as the boss stays out of my area here!!)

Cheers!
Dale.

avion

Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:26 am

Also the womens doubles are going to be interesting. i hope that Hingis/Seles win.

Did anyone watch the hopman cup?? Switzerland beat the United States in the finals!!

Avion

Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:27 am

Dale

If you haven't seen the outfit Venus was wearing, she was wearing it again in tonight's game with Mauresmo. It didn't look as bad as it was the other day, but I can't believe she is still wearing it.

Don't know if you two guys have it, but the official site for the Aussie Open is

http://www.australianopen.com

Watch out for Rafter....I think he is on a mission....wanting to win the title, before he retires this year.

Cheers

Scotty

dk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:58 am

Hingis and Seles are partners in doubles? Wow, that's an interesting combo.

Thanks for the picture Scott, I can see where she would have had some problem keeping it all together during play,so to speak! Yes it does seem Rafter is on a mission....be interesting to see if he can pull it off! A fit Agassi though will be tough for anyone to beat and I predict he's gonna win it....!

Regards,
Dale.

B-707

Tue Jan 23, 2001 7:06 am

Nice picture and link, Brissie_lions. I'll have to learn how to do that one day.  Smile

LOL, Dale, where are you getting the draw from? According to the BBC the women are all up to the QF stage now, the men too.

Hingis v S Williams
V Williams v Coetzer
Capriati v Seles
Kournikova v Davenport (3 AM, New York time, Tuesday morning)

Clement v Kafelnikov
Grosjean v Moya
Agassi v Martin
Rafter v Hrbaty (After Davenport match)

This is probably even more confusing. I think the best place for information is the Australian Open site link above. The Aussie Open is nearly as hard to follow as the Olympics were last year.  Smile

I'm looking forward to the QFs. Infact I am fed up going to work half dead. I have decided to take the rest of the week as a holiday. The Australian Open only happens once a year.

Good luck avoiding the boss, Dale. No easy task.  Smile

I hope Rafter does well here. He has announced his retirement after this year, so I hope he can win his home slam. But then I'd like Martin to win as well. I just don't know.

Catch you later.
Mark.

dk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2001 8:45 am

Hey Mark, that's not fair! Being able to take the week off like that! What about the rest of us?  Smile

I'll try to stay up tonight and watch some of it, coverage starts at 10PM here which may not sound late to most of you but to me is a couple of hours past my bedtime (I have to get up between 4:30 and 5AM)! Oh well, other people will have to put up with my bearishness tomorrow, anything for tennis!!  Smile

Best regards,
Dale.

dk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2001 11:55 pm

O.K. so I fell asleep 4 times between 8:30pm and 9pm last night waiting for the tennis to start, gave up and went to bed after setting up the VCR to record the matches....was able to watch it today and am happy to see that Davenport is in the semi's along with Capriati (that's a little surprise!, I was hoping for a Seles win).

Agassi won his match against Martin and looks like Rafter will be in the semi's also...don't know about the other quarters yet, I imagine that they are being played now...

The Seles/Capriati match was a good one, however Seles seemed to tire quite a bit at the end but good for Capriati...that's a good story, she (Capriati) has had some tough times and its good to see her back.

Cheers!
Dale.

B-707

Wed Jan 24, 2001 4:22 am

Dale, let me tell you that you get up in the middle of the night to go to work. That is far far too early for me!. How do you manage that everyday?  Smile

I too am happy for Capriati. I would have been happier if it were not at Monicas' expense though. But Monica/Hingis are in the SF of the doubles, so maybe Monica can win her first slam doubles title here.

Agassi is looking good for the mens title (he;ll probably lose next round now I have said that). I personally want Rafter to win now.

I am looking forward to the last two womens QFs tonight. They start at midnight. Hingis/S Williams is on second. That is worth waiting for.

Dale, just phone in sick. It always worked for me.  Smile

All the best

Mark.

dk
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2001 5:11 am

Hey Mark! Yeah I do get up practically in the middle of the night! Been doing it for years so am kinda used to it now (I have to start work at 7AM and I have a 45 min. commute so....). Wreaks havoc with my weekends because I will stay up late say Sat. night and I'll automatically wake up at 4:30AM Sun. arrrrgggghhh!! But at least I can go back to sleep!!  Smile

Calling in sick is a good idea, however, since I am the only one in at 7 it means I have to find coverage and that can be difficult...of course that is the boss' problem but that is a long story, let's say we've had some pretty good fights about it!!

On to tennis, I will try and stay up tonight, I really want to see the Hingis/Serena match live. I'll give it the old "college try" again!!

Cheers!
Dale.

B-707

Thu Jan 25, 2001 4:05 am

I hope you got to see some of the two QFs Dale. The Coetzer/Venus match was a very tense affair. I really thought Amanda was going to come through.

The Hingis/Serena match was a thriller. Hats off to Martina, she surprised me with her fighting spirit and heart. She came back from 1-4 down in the final set. Serena was hampered by a food bug. God knows what she'd be like completely healthy. A frightening thought.

I didn't get to bed until 5AM. Hope you managed to keep your eyes open Dale. It was a great night of tennis. I didn't stay awake for the men. I read Clement won.

Regards.

Mark.

dk
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2001 9:30 am

Unfortunately the old "college try" didn't quite work out last night...coverage didn't start until 12:30AM!! So I taped it and watched it today...the only match they showed was the Hingis/Serena one and you're right it was great! ESPN showed the Kafelniknov/Clement match (tape delay) this afternoon and I watched that one too, another great match! Clement was incredible! It's great to see tennis like that! So now we have Davenport/Capriati in one semi, (I'll have to give the edge to Davenport in that one) and Hingis/Venus in the other, I think that one will be close and much harder to predict...of course I hope Venus can pull it off. Going back to Davenport/Capriati..it would be great if Capriati could win and be in the final against Venus!

On the men's side it's Agassi/Rafter and Clement/Grosjean, I think I'll have to go with Agassi for sure but I haven't a clue what to think of the other two..I haven't seen them play much..!

I have to tape tonight's matches also as coverage doesn't start until 11:30PM..I don't know why ESPN2 can't be more consistent with the coverage..one night it's 9PM the next it's 11:30PM the next it's 12:30AM...hopefully the finals this weekend will be shown at a time consistent with an earlier coverage time here...!

I still think it's disgusting that you get the week off Mark!!  Smile

Cheers!
Dale.

B-707

Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:01 am

I know it's disgusting, Dale, but I worked through christmas and new year - so they owe me.  Smile

The womens SFs were a strange affair. Capriati is through to her first final in a slam. I'm surprised she beat Davenport, but happy too.

Hingis' win over Venus was very very surprising. That's Venus' heaviest loss in her carrer. First time Hingis has beaten both Williams sisters back-to-back.

I want Capriati to win the final, but Hingis will be tough to beat.

Agassi beat Rafter.  Sad Good showing from Rafter though.

I don't know how the players manage. It was something like 120F on the court when they played.

Regards
Mark.

dk
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:31 am

Hi ya Mark, I just got through watching my tape of the women's semi's and you're right the Hingis win over Venus was extremely surprising, 6-1 6-1, awful score, Venus just couldn't seem to get her act together. I am very happy also that Capriati won her match, and am with you on wanting her to win, but unfortunately I don't think she quite has what it takes to beat Hingis...but I am very willing to be wrong on this!  Smile
ESPN will show the match tomorrow (Fri.) starting at 9AM our time so I am thrilled about that, just hope it isn't too busy here at work so I can watch it!! I'll just tell everybody to fix their own stuff and leave me alone!  Smile

So on the men's side it will be Agassi and ? Either way as I've said I think Agassi has it in his hands but in tennis who knows?! One way or the other I hope it's a good close interesting match...!

On to the finals...!
Cheers,
Dale.

dk
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2001 12:07 am

Made a mistake above, coverage starts at 9:30PM here not 9AM, oh well, I don't have to kick anyone out of the office now!!  Smile

Wish I could have seen the Clement/Grosjean match, sounds like it was an incredible one! ESPN will show highlights this afternoon, can't wait!

Regards,
Dale.

B-707

Sat Jan 27, 2001 12:56 am

Hi, Dale. I haven't seen the Clement/Grosjean match either. I waited up until 4AM to watch it live. The announcer LIED and said there was a rain delay. How can there be a rain delay? The two show courts have roofs. Anyway, I hope to catch the highlights today. Sounds like it was a great match.

I did read that team Williams won the doubles. No consolation for bombing out of the singles, but they said they're happy.

The womens final starts at 0230AM. I guess that's 0930PM for you. That is a match I am looking forward to. You're right, now you can watch it in peace without distractions from work.  Smile

Speak later, Mark.

dk
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:33 pm

Hey Mark, what an incredible match huh? 30 minutes ago Capriati won her first major....during some of the best parts of the match I'm thinking that you must be watching this, as excited as I was....wow! 3 sets would have been better but Jenifer was just too good, however those 2 sets were great enough...at the end I'm watching it with tears running down my face like a fool while MaryJo Fernandez and Pam Shriver,, who were announcing for ESPN are getting emotional and all that, geeeezzz, what a great story...damn ESPN though, I've been waiting for the last 30 minutes for the trophy presentation which they said they would show and they haven't, they've gone on to cover other sports!! I'm so tired I don't know if any of this is making any sense so am off to bed, can't wait for the men's final tomorrow!!

Best regards,
Dale.

B-707

Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:54 pm

Hello, Dale. You're probably asleep by now. I am so happy. I can't believe Jennifer won. What a fairy tale come true for her. Hingis did everything she could, but Jennifer had all the answers.  Smile

I hope you get to see the presentation ceremony. I saw it on BBC. Can you believe the match was live on TWO channels? I was spoilt for choice. I was speaking to a friend in USA and she was really upset with ESPN too. That's no way to treat a Final. The presentation ceremony s the best part.

I am so happy for Jennifer. I even had a lump in my throat when she won. It's 4.52am now. Figure I should get some sleep. Night Night.

I still can't believe it, Dale  Smile

Mark.  Smile

avion

Sat Jan 27, 2001 10:57 pm

No, No no. Hingis really should have won!

Tom

dk
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:06 pm

Avion: Capriati was just too good!  Smile

The men's final was a little ho hum compared to the women's..I was hoping for more of a fight from Clement, on second thought though he was fighting pretty hard but was up against an incredibly powerful Agassi who had too much game for him, and was also more rested...Agassi showed quite the display of powerful, aggressive baseline tennis! Oh to be able to play like that, or like any of them for that matter!  Smile

Can't believe that the Australian is over already and in a few months the French will start...time is marching on faster and faster..as long as it brings warm weather soon it can march on as fast as it wants!!  Smile I think the French is my favorite Grand Slam, I like the slower red clay, and coverage is much better here!

Mark, its been great "talking" to you again, take care, and hope to hear from you when the French starts! (Or before that if you like!)

Best regards,
Dale.

avion

Mon Jan 29, 2001 1:19 am

Hingis was just too powered out to beat capriati. I think two williamses in a row was just too much for her.

Tom

B-707

Mon Jan 29, 2001 3:44 am

Hi, Dale. I agree with your analysis of the mens final. Clement has a new fan. Me!. What a character he is. His little speech at the presentation ceremony was very nice.

Oh well another Slam finishes. On to Paris now. I have enjoyed talking to you again, Dale. I probably (but nothing is certain) wont be around the forums for a few months. I'll definitely be here for Roland Garros.

Take care, and be good.  Smile

Best Regards, Mark.