Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kursk Tradegy...result Of Foreign Sub?

Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:21 pm

I have read also that the Kursk will be raised during the northern summer, but as this article mentions, funding will have to be attained for this operation.

But really...what degree of accuracy is there in blaming the Kursk on a foreign sub? Or is this one of those cases in which we will never know.

If anyone knows the name of the British sub which was scrapped this year, and for what reason, I would be interested to find out a bit about it.

-----

Kursk collided with foreign sub, expert thinks

By Ivan Yegorov, Strana.Ru

Vice-Admiral Valery Dorogin, coordinator of a group of Duma deputies that forms part of the state commission investigating the causes of the Kursk tragedy, thinks the most probable cause of the disaster is a collision with a foreign submarine.

In his words, there is "a huge number of indirect signs" confirming his supposition. Specifically, it is known that there was a foreign submarine "leaving the area of our exercises at a very slow speed" soon after the Kursk hit the bottom in the Barents Sea.

Besides, a suggestive fact is the sudden scrapping earlier this year of a British submarine although it was only 12th in a line of vessels slated for disposal, he holds.

The governmental commission regards collision with a WWII floating mine the least likely explanation, he said.

According to Dorogin, there were about 40 tons of debris from the Kursk brought to the surface in the course of last year's rescue operation, including parts of different instruments and mechanisms, torpedo tubes, torpedoes, the right rudder blade, and chunks of the hull. All of these are being studied by the commission.

Speaking about the force of the explosion is the fact that a 40-millimiter-thick torpedo tube cap is curved inwards. Hit by the explosion, the door of the classified paperwork room that was found in the fourth compartment looks like a propeller, he said.

In his words, the commission members have practically no doubts that an explosion equal to 100kg of TNT that wrecked the first compartment was caused by components of fuel of one of the torpedoes. A second and much more powerful explosion equal to about one ton of TNT was due to a fire that started in the first compartment.

Sailors who were in the first four compartments died almost instantly. As far as the crewmembers in the stern compartments are concerned, they might have survived for another 6 to 9 hours, he said.

"Obviously we will never know what caused the first explosion. Even the submarine's salving won't help," he claimed.

The first compartment, where the blast struck, is totally destroyed. Besides, the first compartment's bulkhead reacted like a piston that wiped off everything in its path as far inside as the fourth compartment. There is nothing in place of the rather bulky instruments that used to stand in the compartments, he explained.

Although the original cause of the disaster will remain obscure even after the sub is brought to the surface, the operation must be persisted with, Dorogin thinks. In his words, the cruiser must be lifted, first, because the bodies of the crewmembers are still on board, and, second, for research purposes in order to see how the reactors behaved being exposed to so powerful an explosion.

He rated the work done by Deputy Prime Minister Ilya Klebanov's commission as very professional. At the same time, he expressed concern over the financing of the rescue project.

He knows the job will cost the Russian side $25 million. The international community is ready to provide another $50 million. But the financing is being delayed. Duma members of the state commission have sent a relevant inquiry to Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov.

kevin

RE: Kursk Tradegy...result Of Foreign Sub?

Fri Mar 09, 2001 2:26 pm

Perhaps we will know what really happened there after 50 years or so. As for now don't even bother. They know how to keep secrets in Russia.

Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:05 pm

I think the russian government needs to concentrate on rebuilding the country's economy and improving the quality of life instead of spending tons of money on weapons. What good are wepons where there is no country worth protecting.

rajno1

Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:10 pm

I read an article in a UK newspaper saying that they found a note on the body of an officer on the Kursk saying that the blast was caused by a problem in the torpedo chamber. He wrote this a fair while after the sub had sunk, so those locked in the rear of the sub survived for quite a long time after the explosion.

EIPremier

Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:57 pm

Rajno1---Yes, I read a similar article. Apparently 23 men survived for some length of time after the explosions.

It seems like the theory has been flipping back and forth as to whether an outside influence or an internal malfunction caused a torpedo explosion.

I recall reading somewhere that the Kursk was scheduled to conduct a torpedo firing as part of a exercise at the time contact was lost.

Based on analysis of seismic waves, experts believe the first blast was consistent with a misfiring torpedo, and the second more powerful blast was probably caused by fire from the first blast setting off other torpedoes/fuel.

I personally don't believe the "other vessel" theory as of yet. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but doesn't it seem strange that the damage to the Kursk was catastrophic while this "other sub" sustained no serious damage??

RayChuang

Fri Mar 09, 2001 9:32 pm

I have my doubts that the Kursk collided with another sub.

I still think the most plausible reason was that when the Kursk tried to fire a new-technology anti-sub weapon the weapon exploded in the torpedo tube, which caused a fire that may have caused other torpedoes in the torpedo room or one of the anti-shipping missiles to explode.

FlyBoeing

Fri Mar 09, 2001 10:47 pm

What's that 200 kt torpedo that the Russians thought up and they arrested Edward Pope for stealing the plans to? Squall? Skvell?

In any case, I heard that the weapon uses some sort of underwater rocket technology to propel itself. Making things explode underwater is always problematic; no wonder the damn thing exploded.

WorldTraveller

Sat Mar 10, 2001 6:56 am

Damn, when will the Russian officials finally admit that it was entirely their own fault, that one of the sub's missiles exploded or that it was sunk by a Russian topedo from the destroyer "Peter the Great"?

Come on, this is ridiculous and we are not in USSR times anymore!!

How could a British sub which is considerably smaller than the Kursk just sank this huge sub without damage, eh?

Ridiculous....

Best regards
the WorldTraveller