Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jaspike
Topic Author

What Do You Think Of Britain?

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:36 am

I know this is a bit like the US one, but what do people from other countries think of Britain and the people in it?
 Big thumbs up

J

lax2000

RE: What Do You Think Of Britain?

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:55 am

I have been to the U.K. 4 times. One of those times I spent a month touring from Cardiff to Glasgow and everywhere in between. The thing UK really like about the U.K are the people, the beauty of the country, The TV shows and overall sense of humor of the people, the history and of course LHR. The things I don't like are all the U.S. corporations that are taking over like Staples and Wallmart/Kmart type stores. I saw these in cities like Hull and Stoke on Trent. I also spent a month there with 1 day of sunshine, that was a little rough. The food is not as bad as people say..theres always great Indian, Middle Eastern and fish and chips.. Overall I like the U.K. a lot, but there are a few other places in Europe I would choose to live before the U.K.

UA767-223

Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:55 am

Lost their empire and still searching for relevance.

gkirk

Tue Jun 26, 2001 2:12 am

Scotland=Great, scenery people
Wales=mmm...nuff said, but I will still say full of Sheep
England=Lots of big-headed people and football thuigs, some nice people , but only a minority. Nice scenery though,
N.Ireland=Apart from the troubles, nice people
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Jaspike
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2001 2:53 am

England isn't full of football hooligans, only a few. They don't cause a lot of trouble in England, but in other countries, like Germany etc.
And what do you mean by big-headed? We're not!
Only normal. The Americans are quite big-headed if you ask me..... Smile

mls515

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:15 am

I just returned from living in Swansea for the spring term and I thought that everything was ok. I don't think I'd go live there or anywhere else in Britian again unless I was getting paid to do so though.

I think the service industry is lacking comapred to the American one. It looks unprofessional for the cashiers at Tesco (the huge supermarket chain) to be able to sit in a chair while ringing up purchases. This comes from someone who has done similar work on his feet for 8 hour shifts. And more restaurants need to offer free refills since it makes customers happy and fountain pop is so so cheap. Table service is ok but you notice the differrence when you come to the US and the waiters and waitresses are obsessively, relentlessly at your service because they really want to earn your tip. By the way, I stole that phrase from my parents electricity provider and it's actually true, because after a minor overnight outage they called and left like 5 messages on the machine to make sure the power was back on.

I think it's good though that for the quality of life of people who work in retailing that most stores close up around 5 or 6 or so, but as a consumer I find it convenient that in the US I can go to the Wal-Mart (basically everything, like a huge Wilkinson's or Woolworth's) or Hy-Vee (our regional supermarket) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week except Christmas and New Years. And because it's economical for me to operate a car, I can go there whenever I want and don't have to rely on public transport.

I know Tesco is open 24 and you can get a good variety of stuff there, but nothing I saw in Britain approaches the scale of even our most basic Wal-Mart, not to mention the "super" Wal-Mart many of us have access to that has everything from motor oil to fishing poles to power tools to clothes to electronics like the regular Wal-Marts but also a full line of groceries. If you visit the USA I highly recommend visiting some of our large retail stores just to see what they are like. (There's many bad things about Wal-Mart too but I won't go into that).

The Sunday hours thing is a nice idea and I wish, for quality of life purposes, that the USA would restrict opening hours but my idea works like this: You can be open all day on Sunday except for between 8am-6pm which is kind of opposite of the way the U.K. runs it. For the record, many shopping malls and independent shops have recuced hours on Sunday in the U.S. too, but not quite as reduced as in the U.K. The big retailers are open about 8am-10pm like they are during the week.

Your public transport is lightyears ahead of ours, simply because it has the ridership to justify its costs. Your trains are also lightyears ahead of ours, as bad as you think they may be. I never took National Express, but as long as no one is smoking weed in the bathroom, I'll bet they are better than Greyhound.

I must say the driving on the other side of the road thing I find odd, but I'm not one of those who say that either is the "correct" side.

That's about all I can think of for now.

mls515

Jaspike
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:25 am

Sorry, but I think it's funny that you think Tesco is good. Sort of. It is one of the worst supermarkets here! Cheap, and just yuk!
And I think driving on the left is normal. Though it is for me. It's weird in other countries that drive on the right. And at the moment the weather is better than ever!
Sunny, not a clod in the sky, and 30 degreesC.

Jaspike
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:27 am

I meant cloud not 'clod' before the whole world corrects me! If you have any questions, reply!

access-air

Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:17 am

Well Jaspike,

Im one of those "bigheaded Americans" you so freely care to refer to.....I on the other hand have never been to Great Britain, but I am hoping to visit soon as I can. Being a Travel agent it may help me discover new and wonderful things....Above All I would never consider calling someone from you part of the world anything derrogatory, as I havent met any one for there yet.....
Kindly have some respect, esp. if you hoping to hear positive thinngs about where you live...Dolling out insults will only come back to haunt you in one way or another....Good day..

Access-Air (Airliners.net chatroom Operator)
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

USAFHummer

Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:36 am

Hmm...I have never been there either, ironically enough we just made plans to go to LGW for Thanksgiving literally an hour ago, but I find most British people to be friendly, funny, and helpful. As for the country, it looks beautiful, I dunno about stuff like supermarkets or anything like that, but I have good first impressions from what I have heard.

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

VirginLover

Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:19 am

Only went to England once, I was unimpressed by London, only because I'm close to NYC, so London didn't have that "big city charm" People in London weren't very warm, but people outside the city were very nice.

Matt D

Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:57 pm

I don't know a lot about the rest of the country, but just about every lady I've met or seen from over there had cauliflower legs.

Yikes.

go canada!

Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:38 pm

London is different from other cities, im sorry you didnt really like it.I live about 40 miles away and i go there whenever i can.

I do think its funny you like tescos!!!!!Try Sainsburys's next time, they actually own a supermarket chain in the uSA called shaws i think, dont know if you visit it or not.
The best for supermarket food is marks and spencer or waitrose.the foods always fresh, the staff very friendly and the choice is good too.

Our sunday opening laws wont be changing for a while-it was bad enough getting stores to open on a sunday, the amount of protests were unbelievable!

Our shopping centres(malls) are clean and tidy and we have two of the largest shopping centres in the world-Lakeside in Essex which has a large mall, cinemas and a very large reatail park and once you take verything into account is the second largest retail complex int he world behind one in canada! Bluewater in Kent which is newer and slighty more upmarket is the largest actual shopping mall in europe!

Im pleased you like our public transport:"Your public transport is lightyears ahead of ours, simply because it has the ridership to justify its costs. Your trains are also lightyears ahead of ours, as bad as you think they may be. I never took National Express, but as long as no one is smoking weed in the bathroom, I'll bet they are better than Greyhound. "

We do think they are bad, if you live in the UK its the number two topic of conversation (behind the weather, well number three at the moment because wimbledon is on) about the state of our transport network.National express is ok though and some of the trains are brand new and will improve, though railtrack and the train companies are being pounded at the moment.a lot of that is to do with the fact that some people would rather its was government owned.

Our buses arent that bad, especially in london where they are a lot better than some of the tube lines, especially the northern line.Although it is common for two or three of the same buses to come along at once!

It is a nice country and now foot and mouth has decreased all footpaths and hills and things are now reopen and its business as normal.

We arent big-headed and i have to agree that i have seen plenty of big headed amercians, though in the main you are all nice really.we arent a nation of football thugs either, problem at football grounds is very rare since the events of the eighties and I would LIKE to know what basis you have made that statement on that England is a nation of football thugs because i can asure you we arent.

thats a stereotype, like the stereotype we have of americans who think that the sun shines out of their backsides and that their country is full of gun-wielding manics.I know that isnt true and it would be nice if some people grew up instead of inferring that this stereotype is actually the thruth!Please people, dont show you are arrogant, i know that most of you arent and are friendly, please dont change that impression.

It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

gkirk

Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:13 am

Mmm...I never said you were all Football thugs, but a lot of you are, think back to France 98, Euro 2000 anytwhere else?
England also invented cricket. Deary,deary me!
From North of the Border, Graham.

mls515

Wed Jun 27, 2001 1:03 am

You don't like Tesco? They are Britain's biggest retailer I thought? Well, anyway, there was a Sainsbury's but it was further away and everyone told me that while it was nicer, it was also more expensive so I never bothered making the hike.

Jaspike
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2001 1:09 am

Does someone here have a problem with cricket?

lima

Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:17 am

I spent one year living in London and had the chance to travel around the UK. I like very much the country but it is very diverse and different as certainly England or Scotland are very different places so you can not cataloge into one.

I like London and the working culture of the British but socially I found the English very poor. I can only speak from my experience but found most people in London a bit cold and unemotional. The codes of communication are so compicated sometimes because many people do not say what they mean so at the end it is a boring experience. Sometimes, I felt a sense of unprotection as even watching accidents in the train station or underground (a woman fainting or a man having an epilepsia attack on the Central Line) was shocked to find most people walking without caring a bit about it. That lack of humanity gave me a bitter impression. But I do not mean all or everybody as I also seen people or things that were really great. The obsession with charities or the care for animals is impressive and so the organization and respect.

On the other side found the people much nicer in in the interior of England in places like Birmingham. Far the nicest people to me were found in Scotland.

gkirk

Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:36 am

Hehe, see what Lima says? Thank Lima, we Scots welcome tourists with open arms (not literally) and we hope we try to help you to feel at home when you come to Scotland. We pride ourselves on our hospitality,Scenery and Party-spirit.

Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:56 am

It is cold!!
Iain

Hole_Courtney

Wed Jun 27, 2001 1:20 pm

I think that the United Kingdom is one of the greatest places in the world. In my mind it's the perfect place.

1. No sun. I hate the sun.

2. Oasis. Enough said.

3. A public transporation system through out the entire country, and not just in major metropolitan areas like in the US.

4. The best record shops on the planet.

5. LHR

5 Reasons to love the UK.

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

hkgspotter1

Wed Jun 27, 2001 2:39 pm

GKirk,

Big headed people, dont you mean the yanks ??

ryanb741

RE: Hkgspotter1

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:28 pm

Oh, just ignore him! Many Scots seem to think us English are always trying to put them down. Lets just call it the Braveheart factor!  Smile
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

QANTAS747-438

Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:56 pm

I was recently in the UK a few months ago. I thought it was a little plain. Kind of industrial. A little cold. London was outrageously expensive... I thought it was a joke at first. But with the conversoin rate of US money, everything there costs us twice as much.

However, I wanna go back to London and the rest of the country to give it a second try.

PS: Lots of people view the British as people with bad teeth and big ears talking about the "Queen Mum" while eating tea and crumpets.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

GDB

QANTAS747-438

Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:10 am

You got that right.
UK; 57 Million highly diverse people. Massive social change in past 50 years. Many distinct regions. 5% of population are, or are desendents of, the Caribbean, African and South Asian immigrants of the last 50 years.
And I, and every one I know, has good teeth.

UK, Hollywood version; Quaint place with castles and cobbled streets everywhere. Ruled by a Queen, two classes-the aristrocracy and grimy working-class Cockneys.
Oh, and in the Northern part where the lakes have monsters, these guys like talk even weirder, and like, wear skirts.

gkirk

RE: QANTAS747-438

Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:56 am

Dont visit London, visit Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness/Loch Ness, Fort William, The Troassarchs etc. Great places, if your desperate got to Newcastle or Liverpool.

VirginA340

Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:32 am

Is Tesco really that bad!!!! What's your take on Sainsbury. I do know that their Hardware store called Homebase is pretty good especially in the Leyton (pardon the spelling) District. Not too far off from central London. Stay away from Wimpys horrible indeed. I love the McDonalds in the UK better than tyhe US because the've got a great veggie burger and they have a better selection thant here. But I'm a Subway fan. The area of Central London by the Thamse is always good especially taking a tour boat from the HMS Belfast-Parlimant. Spledid area indeed. The Traffic to get to Greenwich isn't great but not bad and it's worth seeing the line as well as the Queen's House.(I hope thats right) The Tube always kicks ass especially with their direct connection to LHR. Thier mals aint great but they're clean along with the Walthamstow Sation nearby Leyton.
"FUIMUS"

ryanb741

RE: GKirk?

Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:52 pm

No offence intended here, but having followed your posts over the weeks I have come to the conclusion that you seem to 'have it in' for England, and in particular the 'Home Counties'. I find this racism on the part of Scots against the English unacceptable (I have what can be defined as a 'Home Counties' accent and nearly got stabbed in Glasgow when asking directions - and yet the Scottish residents down here in London have no problems whatsoever - remember we were only the bad guys in Hollywood movies okay!  Smile).

As for advising people not to go to London - come on!!! Hardly likely now! Not everyone likes traffic, expensive prices etc, but the fact of the matter is that it is the capital city and cultural centre of England, with the biggest proliferation of internationally recognised landmarks! To say that Edinburgh (nice that it is) is somehow a substitute for London is astonishingly naieve.

Please name a place in Scotland with the number of great restaurants, clubs, shopping facilities, parks, landmarks, theatres, ethnic communities, sporting venues (and so on) as London and I'll move there tomorrow.....
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

go canada!

Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:18 pm

spare us the english-bashing.
probably another braveheart watching person who thinks that the film tells the whole truth about scotland and england, because it didnt.

And before we get into england always invading scotland mode, the scots were quite happy to invade england when it suited them,battle of flodden in 1513, battle of solway moss 154os and they quite happyily invaded ireland and seiged dublin before so they arent flaming perfect.

and before i get mass hysteria, i used to live in scotland, near aberdeen at a place called banchory.scotland is a beautiful place and is well worth the visit the people are very friendly too.

what i dont like is the english bashing of some scots.We are in britain together, it was a merger of scotland and england with wales and ireland.a four-way merger, not an invasion of scotland.it was the scottish parliament which voted to join.yes the scottish parliament and may i remind you that we have shared the same royal family since 1603 when james became king of england as well as scotland, we have had a scottish-decendent monarch on the throne since then and we like it.

so no offenece but stop with the anti-english stuff.

747 4-ever

Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:14 pm

I think that Britain is a rainy place.
The peoples from Britain is very white but also very nice, they've got the same humour as the swedes... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

gkirk

Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:22 pm

Awww, does RyanB741 not know a joke?
I dont have a problem with most English, its just the one's in Northern England such as Carlisle who come into my area looking for a fight and go home beaten up. In my opinion there are better places in England to go than London, however it depends on your taste. Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, etc have some of the best scenery around, its justr a shame that because of the F-and-M outbreak that most walks around these area's are closed. Also I notice that most of the people from outside Britain have only visited London, Glasgow or Edinburgh. I URGE them to visit other area's as there is more than these to visit, eg in England, you have the afore-mentioned places, Scotland, Highlands, Wales Snowdonia National Park.
If you took offence I apologise, but just seems like a few English people, eg Tony Blair are a little too arrogant.

ryanb741

Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:33 pm

It's not just the English who look for a fight. I went to the 'Old Firm' derby a couple of years back (Celtic vs Rangers for all you non-football fans) and I was amazed at the numbers of Irish who had come over looking for a fight (again for all you non football followers, Glasgow Celtic are traditionally a Catholic team whereas Glasgow Rangers are traditionally a Protestant team). That scared the hell out of me, seeing these people who hated each other so much.

Jaspike
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:56 am

OK, it looks like some people are urging people to go to England, and some to go to Scotland. How about you stay on the border!
Yes, England doesn't have the best weather, but recently it was hotter here than The rest of Europe, including Spain and Tenerife! So it can get very hot!
Foot and mouth disease is slowing down, and the Government are wanting people to go into the countryside, go walking, visit zoos and parks etc. Because they are all (mostly) open.
Not everyone looks for a fight, just strange people.
Whoever said there are other places than London to visit are right. There are castles, theme parks, landmarks, cathedrals, historic places, beaches, national parks all around the country, though London is the most popular.
If you go to this site that I've found, it gives you the official websites of lots of tourist attractions all around England...
http://expage.com/discoverengland

That's all.
 Smile

Ikarus

Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:27 am

Before I came here I thought that:
-the English would be the funniest people on Earth. Everyone has a great sense of humour, full of irony, cynicism and a quick tongue.
-it would rain every day of the year, and if it does not rain, there is fog
-the only food eaten in Britain is Fish&Chips
-there are no beautiful girls in England. (It was explained to me like this: The food is crap. The girls are ugly. No wonder their universities have the highest grades in Europe. Every sane student wants to get it done with and get out, and there is nothing interesting to do but learn....)
-Their beer is crap
-They all sound like some odd Oxbridge tea-slurping old ladies
-they drink tea every day at 5, without exception
-the houses in England are crap, because they never got properly destroyed in WW2 (as the ones in Germany) and therefore weren't replaced with new ones
-it's expensive

Since I came here, I learnt that:
-actually, barely anyone is funny at all. My only funny professor spent most of his life in America.....
-the weather generally goes through 5 different stages on each day of the year, ranging from rain to hail to sunny to downpour to fog within a few hours
-the British are far too sane to eat their own traditional food. No wonder they conquered half the world: They were looking for something edible. That's why there are 1000s of Indian and Chinese takeaways, and the Pizza places.
-there are ...... well. There are indeed some beautiful girls in England. Just not that many of them, and not in the vicinity of my University. (we have a girl:boy ratio of around 1:4 in total, and a staggering 1:9 in our particular department)
-the beer is..... I dunno. Never tried it. I wasn't a big fan of beer in Bavaria, the heaven of all beerseekers, so why should I bother with the sewage water they sell in England under that title?
-they do not all sound like Oxbridge little old ladies. The term "jolly good" hasn't been heard by my ears in a few months now.
-Tea is not a must.
-my prejudices about the housing turned out to be completely true, and it is worse than I expected...
-it's not just expensive. It is EXPENSIVE. it is RUINATION. Coming from Germany, I felt right at home: all the numbers on the price tags were identical to those I'm used to in Germany. Except it is pounds I am paying now, not DMs. Aaaargh!
-they have odd games here, mutated versions of American sports. Cricket instead of baseball, rugby instead of American Football, ....

I also noticed that London is a far more international city than Munich. I am pleasantly surprised by the number of foreign people, and the general open-mindedness in this country.

Except for Europe. Apparently, some people think it's not a good idea.

Regards

Ikarus

PS: Do not get offended. Most of this post is meant to be a joke. Big grin  Big grin

PPS: On the other hand: Do be offended. Most of this post is true. (Except for the stuff about the sports. Everyone knows the Brits had their mutations BEFORE the Americans) Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

WorldTraveller

Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:39 am

I think it's a great country with very nice people!

From October I'll be studying at the University of Bristol and I am looking forward to have a great time there.

I would like Great Britain to join the Euro monetary union though...

Best regards
the WorldTraveller

BA-747

Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:14 am

ok for everyone im scottish and live in scotland i have english relatives living in london and i wanna say london does suck if u have asthma or anything else u are sure to have a trip to the local A+E for treatment traffic is WOWWWWWW people are arrogant upnoxious and darn right pigs. the ppl in the south of england think they are better than the ppl in the north of england and wales and scotland dont know why cos they aint.

as for the supermarket thing and the shops and restaurants fast food places in glasgow we got all supermarkets asda owned by wal mart, tesco which is yuk, sainsburys which is too expensive and crap safeway which if im not mistaking an american chain. and other supermarkets we have nice restaurants cafe india is the best in the UK we have harry ramsdens a nice fish n chip shop di maggios for italian and brewers fayre which are really nice. we got all the mcdonalds which are horrible, pizza hut, burger king, kfc, subway and for shops we have all the usual american chains gap, footlocker, levi store, nike store, etc etc but we got nice shops like next , house of fraser, ted baker, etc etc and we even have that good ole yank discount store TJ MAXX although its called TK MAXX in the uk dont ask why & there you can get dkny jeans for £19.99 and lots of other stuff too. glasgow is 2nd for shopping in the uk apart for london booooo j/k and hip cafes/bars are springing up everywhere glasgow has a cracking nightlife as has london.

but as for sterotype i can swear u can spot an american tourist in glasgow they are usually between 65-85 wearing a shell suit/tracksuit bright white trainers and white socks while clutching a bag from the local souviner shop hehe and another true thing is that at mckinnon mills in the town where i live u get bus loads of americans and canadians going there and buying loads and loads of KNITWEAR nobody where i live ever has worn the knitwear but the yanks buy truckloads sad really lol

but overall the uk is good but dont just go to stinkin london go to newcastle cardiff and especially go to glasgow and edinburgh cos its the best go to london for the really not so immpresive sites and come to scotland and the north of england for a night out on the tiles and get totally pissed and check into the glasgow hilton penthouse the one monica lewinsky rented when she was here and u americans can say u have slept in the same bed as the woman who DID NOT HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH THE X PRESIDENT yeah rigggght so do whatever who really cares not me + i gotta say i lurvvvve america it beats the shit outta the uk anyday(especially england) lol

ryanb741

Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:55 pm

Ikarus LOL!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

BA-747 - Another Scot with a chip on his shoulder, eh?

Tourists - DO visit London, okay!

GDB

BA-747

Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:00 pm

Ever heard of the Barnett Formula?
How Scotlands gets a subsidy way over what rest of the UK gets when calculated on population.

eg777er

Fri Jun 29, 2001 11:00 pm

GKirk - Tony Blair is Scottish........

Born in Edinburgh, educated at Fettes.

Delboy

Sat Jun 30, 2001 12:26 am

F**kwits like GKirk and Icarus should stay in their respective countries.

Personally the only decent thing I found in Scotland was the wall that seperated them from us. Similar thoughts for Germany, excellent quick autobans out of the country

Just a joke lads, ah sod it, no it's not.

Western727

Sat Jun 30, 2001 1:55 am

Well, lately I've wanted to take a trip to the British Ilses. It looks like a very beautiful place. I'd love to take a golf vacation there. Does that answer your question?
Jack @ AUS

GDB

Sat Jun 30, 2001 2:17 am

Scotland is probably one of the better places for golf.

Sat Jun 30, 2001 3:08 am

couple of nice people...........................but for the most part a country of screwed up politicians who try to enforce their will on smaller nations.

BTW I noticed that they are happy that Milosevic has been brought before the court in the Hague, when are they (Britain) gonna return all the stuff they plundered and stole from their former colonies?

GDB

Mark2

Sat Jun 30, 2001 3:49 am

'Enforce our will on smaller nations' Much of the will was enforced on larger nations.
Oh I forgot, America was 'innocent' before Vietnam.
The US was a major colonial power from the end of the 19th century, in the Pacific and South and Central America.
Who was the first to abolish slavery?
Still, it's easier to believe some Hollywood version of history.
Now slobbo is in jail, perhaps Henry Kissinger could join him? (Cambodia, Chile, Cyprus plus carrying on the usual highly-colonial propping up of murderous, corrupt tyrants in Central and South America).
This is not really an anti-American tirade, just an answer to a particulary smug, ignorant comment.
There's not many nations without some blood on it's hands.

Sat Jun 30, 2001 5:41 am

Who's got the most? I'd like to know

(No I am not anti British so don't even try it)

GDB

Sat Jun 30, 2001 9:42 am

The most? In the 20th Century? Stalin's Russia, Hitler's Germany and Mao's China.
During the process of independence, it was policy to leave behind functioning democracies in former UK colonies, they didn't always last, but that was ultimately up to the people of those nations.
Several small wars were fought to prevent communist takeovers, apart from Aden, they were sucessful. Without using carpet bombing and Agent Orange.
The French had a very bloody time in Vietnam and Algeria.
Portugal had long drawn out wars before giving up on their African colonies.
The oscar-winning 1982 film Gandai, about India's independence campaign, did not flinch from showing a massacre carried out by British troops in about 1920, on a crowd of demonstrators.
I'd like to see Hollywood be so honest about some of the less glorious moments in US history.
Instead you get stuff like The Patriot, where slaves fight alongside slave owners, (which the Mel Gibson character was in reality), and a massacre carried out by the Nazis in France in 1940, somehow get's transposed to 1770's America. But that was probably a Mel Gibson touch, he hates us for throwing-off the church of Rome.

ryanb741

Sat Jun 30, 2001 4:50 pm

Good point GDB. Perhaps Mark2 would like to elaborate on why the US decided it would be honourable to bomb the innocent Laotians to submission during the Vietnam War simply to ensure the Vietnamese didn't get a foothold in Laos. I refer of course to the fact that more bombs were dropped on Laos during the Vietnam War than were exploded during the whole of WW2.

Let he who is innocent cast the first stone.....

go canada!

Sat Jun 30, 2001 11:49 pm

perhaps he could explain how they manged to shot down that Iran air plane during the 1980s! I still dont understand how the americans managed it!

AM744

Sun Jul 01, 2001 7:40 am

Great country. Old institutions, old laws: tradition in a word.

Jaspike
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:23 am

Hmmmmm.....so some people like it, and some don't. Ok.
And why is it the worlds prostitute? Three good reasons please..... Smile

rajno1

Mon Jul 02, 2001 8:29 am

The English know that their country rules, that's why they spend so much time criticising it, as they are so secure about its merits that there is nothing left to do but to moan.

The Scots are the ones with chips on their shoulders. They are lovely people individually, but together they love to criticise the English (jealousy springs to mind). The English tend to just ignore the Scots in this respect (goes back to the security thing).

The Welsh are okay, but the English look upon them in the same way the Americans look upon people from Poland - figures of fun.

I have lived in many different countries before and despite the (small) number of faults England has there is no better place on earth IMHO. And the Scots know that ! Big grin