Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

LHMark
Topic Author

Future Construction In Lower Manhattan

Wed Sep 12, 2001 7:49 am

I hope, in the future, to see a rebuilt World Trade Center, the tallest building in the world. -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

TWFirst

RE: Future Construction In Lower Manhattan

Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:54 am

I agree!!! We should NOT and CANNOT let these evil, insane fanatics think they can permanently alter our country, our lives, NYC, and the financial heart of the world. The message should be: you can't destroy us and you can't destroy this towering landmark!! We will rebuild and continue to live our lives!!! Obviously, a memorial should be built, but I hope the site of the WTC doesn't become a Oklahoma City-type memorial (where the Murrah building used to stand).

By the way, I've been extremely emotionally wrenched all day - my partner was at work at his office on the 48th floor of the World Financial Center across the street when this all happened!!! The first plane flew past his window on the way to crashing into the tower!!!! He had to evacuate the area and was covered in ash, saw the second tower collapse, and walk home to midtown. Unbelievable. I didn't know if he was alright until he finally got through about noon (1ET) today.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

EGGD

Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:57 am

Nice power trip TWFirst..

I agree too! They can fuck with America all they like, but were on your side, and they can't take spirit, just make us angry and frustrated.

TWFirst

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:01 am

NOT a "power trip" EGGD - rather a statement of principle. I am NOT going to live my life in fear, and neither are my countrymen. I am very glad that the UK is on our side - I thought Blair's speech today demonstrated excellent leadership, and was the kind of forceful and pointed rhetoric that is needed - I was sorely disappointed that our leader referred to the terrorists as "folks".
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

aa737

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:43 am

I agree with the others above that we should rebuild the WTC. We need to carry on as usual, and not let the terrorists rule our lives.

Just like TWFirst I had some one in the World Finanacial center as the WTC was attacked. My dad was working there, and once the second plane hit everyone knew to get out and get away. He ended up walking to some of out friend's house in Manhattan.

CPDC10-30

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:04 pm

Rebuilding the towers from scratch is an important and in my mind, essential task to be done after the carnage is finished to restore pride and confidence. We cannot be deterred by these fanatical, indescribably horrible acts.

tupolev154b2

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:36 pm

They will probably build a memorial in its place but in my opinion, that is unfortunate since that would in some ways be a "trophy" of the terrorists' attack. They should rebuild the towers much like they did in the first attack on February 26, 1993.

lewis

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:31 am

I just heard what Hilary Clinton said on the news. She stated that the government will back up for NYC and any damage done to lower Manhattan will be fixed. I can't imagine NY's skyline without the WTC!!!

Matt D

Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:01 am

I too, am having a hard time stomaching the idea of the NYC skyline sans the WTC. But like it or not, we have to get used to it. It will take at least 3 or 4 months just to get the rubble cleaned up. Then at least another 6 months to a year to decide what to do with the site. Then, even if it is decided to rebuild the WTC (like I hope they do), add another year to design it, and another 4 years to build it.

Don't expect to see the NYC skyline "return to normal" before the year 2006 or 2007 at the very earliest.

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:43 am

there will never be a return to normal.
nontheless, I feel the WTC complex should be rebuilt exactly as it was, it was so impressive and beautiful; the terrorists have succeeded too well, they shouldn't be able to disfigure the most wonderful city forever.
but I actually can't yet think to the future, I'm too shocked and sad.

LY744

Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:21 am

The WTC should definetely be rebuild to be exactly the way it was, or to be even bigger and better. This should be done as soon as possible. Those bastards and their supporters should not be able to enjoy their work. Obviously, something to remind of all the people who have lost their lives should be put in place.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Scotty

Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:40 am

Rebuild it. Start asap

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:13 am

Agreed!

Rebuild it bigger and better.

Those people did not die in vain. They will be remembered.

TNNH

Trvlr

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:59 am

Rebuild them! What the heck, let's build three!!!

Aaron G.

pgh234

Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:10 am

One question, if they build them, who will come? Hmmmm....Lets see, would I wanna work in a building that is constantly on the radar of terrorists or a nice little office somewhere else where I can feel safe? I agree with the "lets build it to show the terrorists they cant get the best of us" idea, but come on, who in their right mind would go back to work there, especially since half of their fellow workers are dead?

pgh234

Dasa

Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:36 pm

I think rebuilding the towers would attract more people rather than keeping them away. I think many people would be proud to work in a building that is a sign of the USA's strength and their resolve not to be beaten by terrorists.

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:20 am

it's ridiculous to speak about materialistic concerns when the most horrible lost of lives has just occured, but nevertheless it is also a huge cultural loss. but this one could be overcome. it would be a strong message.