Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Now What? Still Bomb The Afghans?

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:47 am

Ok now it's getting real interesting, it was just revealed that the suicide "bombers" were Saudi and Egyptian nationals. I know Osama might have people all over the world, but does this now mean Egypt and Saudi Arabia should be targets too?

heavymetal

RE: Now What? Still Bomb The Afghans?

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:54 am

A feeling of dread hits me. I think the US response plan is going to involve a virtual "occupation" of a bulk of the Middle East with huge numbers of troops. It's essentially the same principle as police entering a building looking for perpetrators.

I would imagine Middle Eastern countries are already being given the word...."let us in peacefully or we'll come in on our own using any means neccessary"

I thought early bandyment of the phrase "World War III" was bunk. Now I'm not so sure.

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:10 am

I would consider Saudi Arabia a target since that is where Osama Bin Laden is from.

-WSRegal

Ikarus

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:36 am

Yes, there have indeed been rumours and reports that the USA is literally blackmailing (or should I say "putting pressure on") all Arab nations - co-operate or be isolated. And this is indeed a scary thought. It is pretty much what I had feared: A danger of war in the entire region. Most worrying of all is the policy of the US government to try and prepare its population for a full-scale long-term war, both morally, and by stocking up troops. I don't think the USA can or should try to afford another Vietnam....

Anyway: The nationalities of the terrorists are side issues. The real question is where their training camp and their base of operation is. If it is bin Laden's camp in Afghanistan, that would be a legitimate first target. Their home country is irrelevant.

Regards

Ikarus

747-451

RE: Now What? Ikarus

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:41 am

Correct, the nationalities are not the issue, who trained them is the issue.

As far as "blackmail", I think killing thousands, destroying the WTC and hijacking planes is "blackmail" as well...If countries are so worried about blackmail, don't put yourself in that position, don't shield terrorists and if you can't get them out, ask for help...Don't make yourselves targets.

Ikarus

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:48 am

I don't think these are countries actively shielding or training terrorists - but still they might be reluctant to have foreign troops on their soil. It is blackmail if you force them to accept these terms or count them as enemy - especially if their involvement in the attacks and terrorism is zero. And that is, to some extent, what I believe to be happening...

Regards

Ikarus

Klaus

Sun Sep 16, 2001 2:58 am

Ikarus: I don't think these are countries actively shielding or training terrorists - but still they might be reluctant to have foreign troops on their soil.

Especially in the case of Saudi Arabia, where the islamists are in strict opposition to the reigning clan. One of the prime reasons for this opposition being that their current rulers are perceived as being corrupted by the USA; The presence of US troops in the country is another reason.

It´s complicated...

tupolev154b2

Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:23 am

Don't start another war in the region. Just move in and kill bin Laden and his entire camp (it is not worth it to try to capture him) but that is all we need to do. Anything else or we will lose our moral high ground in this situation and we have lost our moral high ground enough times.

jwenting

Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:59 am

It does not matter what nationality they had. What matters is who is hosting the group they work for. If that is bin Laden's group, that means Afghanistan (plus individuals in other countries around the globe, including possibly the Muslim Brotherhood in the USA).
I wish I were flying

Klaus

Tupolev154B2

Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:34 am

Tupolev154B2: Don't start another war in the region. Just move in and kill bin Laden and his entire camp (it is not worth it to try to capture him) but that is all we need to do. Anything else or we will lose our moral high ground in this situation and we have lost our moral high ground enough times.

Yeah. Right. I can see how killing even more people will secure your moral high ground!  Yeah sure

747-451

Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:25 am

Perhaps others aren't, but Aphghanistan is, sine the Taliban have materially benifitted from bin Laden. Therefore it appears that they are in his pocket and therefore guilty of complicity.

prebennorholm

RE: Klaus

Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:10 am

Klaus wrote:
Yeah. Right. I can see how killing even more people will secure your moral high ground!

Dear klaus, you are wrong. Very wrong. We are talking about terrorists and terrorist supporters.

Terrorists and terrorist supporters are not people, they are just terrorists and supporters.

The goal of all people shall always be to remove all terrorists and their supporters from planet Earth. It is no more complicated than that.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs