Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TS-IOR
Topic Author

What Do You Know...

Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:39 pm

What do you know about us...Arabs and Muslims ?

Let's talk about it !!!

Joona

RE: What Do You Know...

Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:49 pm

My dad probably hated you a lot and killed lots of you, but I have nothing against you.

Joona
1740 days idle. Beat that.

sudden

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:39 pm

You are humans as the rest of us. But cause of a minority group of people, you are looked at as idiots.
When in doubt, flat out!

Scotty

Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:47 pm

I've known many Arabs and Musllims here Britain and got on well with them. One of my Muslim friends was a great mountaineer who loved climbing in Scotland and died in a fall on one of our hills.

Ive just bought lunch from a shop next to my office which is owned by a Pakistani family. The day the WTC was destroyed, I saw fear and disbelief in his face and he said "The World has gone mad"

Ikarus

Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:56 am

What do I know about Arabs and Muslims? Not enough to have a founded opinion. Those in my course range from deeply religious to indifferent to Islam. They have fun with their friends like all the others. They write from right to left in a very interesting intricate font. They speak a language that sounds interesting, with lots of noises in the throat. But what does it say about them? Nothing. People like you and me, although some may be more religious than the average European. They might have a different perception of marriage and family. They might be a bit more conservative about sex and other stuff (but hey, so are deeply religious Catholics!) They might be more strongly opinionated than westerners. But so are most people from poorer countries in my course. It seems that indifference to politics in general and specifically international politics is something only Western citizens can afford. Everyone else is more directly affected, especially when things go wrong.

What do I know? Not enough. Definitely not enough to pass a generalized judgement on a billion people. Or maybe enough NOT to pass a generalized judgement on a billion people. Generalizations will always be stupid...

Regards

Ikarus

LHMark

Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:30 am

However, the Taliban are a bit of a public relations disaster for Islam.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

The747Man

Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:44 am

What do you know about us

Well, not why you wear towels/rags/diapers on your heads.  Confused

(BTW, that is certainly not intended to be racist by any means)

Aeromexico495

Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:49 am

I just did a report on the five Pillars of Islam and got extra credit!!

But no I do not hate Muslims or Arabs or any type of race or religion.

THE TALIBAN IS AN EXEPTION!!!!!

SSTjumbo

Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:03 pm

"West Wing" said it best, the Taliban to Islam is the KKK to Christianity. Where I go to H.S., there is a gigantic Muslim population there, so I learned to get along with them. One of them was an all-state 1st chair trombone player for two straight years, so yes, they are very normal like everyone else.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

Takkyu_Ishino

The747Man

Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:09 am

well, not all arab wear those towels on their heads, north african don`t, we wear pretty much the same stuff as you guys do ( jeans, t-shirt and all that kind of stuff )
it`s only the middle-eastern arabs who do that, and i guess it has something to do with the heat in the arabian peninsula ???

heavymetal

Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:29 am

I took a semester long course on the history of Islam in college. I know that Islam has many fine practices that I've instituted in my own life. For instance, the Islamic insistence on hospitality and opening your homes to friends and even enemies is noble and something I try to live by. Also I'm most impressed with Islam's reverence for the name and concept of God, something almost too big to be given one word or image. In America, the name "Jesus Christ" has become something to slap on a bumper sticker or wristband, something I personally feel cheapens the concept of the Holy.

But I also know Islam is the "Faith of the Sword", and there are noticably less vague references in the Koran to conversion of non-Muslims than say the Bible or the Torah...

My personal belief is that the riches and wealth of the oil kingdoms have stunted the evolution of Islam in a very short time. The economic factors of haves and have nots have created conditions where extremism and tunnel vision have been allowed to thrive. A brief look at the history of Islam shows that it never grew as fast while fighting with the world as when it was docile with the rest of the world.

I believe more than anyone else in the world moderate and reasoned Muslims and Arabs need to make their voice heard loudly right now and pick apart Osama's treacherous, self-serving message...this I realize is risky and fraught with grey peril, but a wise man once said that evil things happen when good men do nothing.

American_4275

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:26 am

Ikarus,
That was a nice, well thought out post! Welcome to my respected list  Big thumbs up

American_4275

Miguel

Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:11 pm

The Arab civilization was one of the greatest of all time. Arabs were the greatest mathematicians in the world. By the same time arabs kings were studying philosophy and mathematics, the kings in Europe could hardly spell their names.
My favourit writer is arab: Amin Malouf

Miguel

174thfwff

Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:13 pm

Why some of you treat your women like shit.

-Peace In-
174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

The747Man

RE: Takkyu_ishino

Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:44 pm

I guess so, but wouldn't that made your head even warmer?????

174thfwff, I agree.

tguman

Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:52 pm

I have nothing against Arabs. Muslims, I agree with their monothiestic point of view. There are a lot of things in Islam I agree with. They are people and my Bible says to love my neighbor. So I love Muslims, even if i don't like their practices. Am I making any sense?
RyAn
Life is a Mine Field.

tbar220

Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:54 pm

Amen Heavymetal, I agree with the last part of your post 100%, I only think though that this would cause more of a rift within the Arab world.
NO URLS in signature

TS-IOR
Topic Author

RE: LHMark

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:53 pm

I do agree with you on that point.
The Taliban are,in a way,misinterpreting Islam.
They are too "tough" and they make life impossible.

Islam is a smooth and tolerant religion,but there is
some rules,that you westerners don't agree about,that
must be followed...and in general if you look deeply
at Islam resolutions,you'll find them aiming to establish
a peaceful,organised,safe and saint world.

So...whose don't want "perfection" in his life!!!

Think about it and let's discuss!!!

TS-IOR
Topic Author

RE: Sudden

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:58 pm

Make sure we're not stupid...and after all, we may
consider everyone stupid if we take his thoughts
and behaviour into consideration!!!

This is not the case...thank's god.

TS-IOR
Topic Author

RE: Aeromexico495

Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:07 pm

Why are Talibans an exception ?
They're free to do anything as long as they're at home.

If you have the idea of Bin Laden and the last
September events...make sure they're for nothing...and
even Americans say that...at least no convincing proofs
are given till now!!!

TS-IOR
Topic Author

RE: Ikarus

Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:10 pm

You and American_4275 are welcom respected users.

TS-IOR
Topic Author

RE:174thfwff

Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:19 pm

What a strange nickname you have!!!
...those who treat women as a shit forget about'em.

You're welcom !!!

Aussiemite

Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:21 pm

I met some arabs once.

My mum was on her way home from work late at night and picking up some groceries, 3 arabs (around about 23) were trying to assault her, jumping on the car etc, car didnt start she locked herself in, called the cops and called me.

It was a 15 minute drive normally for me but I i did it in <3 minutes ran every red light along the way and I was doing 190kmh (60kmh zone(I love my old car)) to get there when I got there they were more surprised at someone driving down the road that fast and pulling up next to them, I told them they had 10 seconds to clear out or I would clear them out, (these guys had been drinking) as I was saying this the cops rocked up, they breath tested the arabs and busted them up (known thugs) stupid arabs had a cry about how fast i was driving. I brushed off the speeding acusations, fixed mums car (relay line fell off starter motor) went home went back to sleep.

On the other hand I got into a fight with an ex Isrealy army person about 3 weeks ago, he tried to stab me so I wrecked his shit.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:41 am

Ts-ior..

You seem to be thinking out our answers and hopefully ignoring the insults, something that you are to be commended for.... but I point out one thing...

You say:
"Islam is a smooth and tolerant religion,but there is
some rules,that you westerners don't agree about,that
must be followed..."

Now I would say that there are some things that YOU don't understand about us, specifically that we tend to get a tad cynical when anyone says there are "rules that must be followed". In Western democracies, the heart of our values is that we collectively AGREE on which rules must be followed. This is the chief difference between a democracy and a theocracy.

My response to you is that al Qaeda and Osama are breaking mant many rules of Islam in the insistence that "the rules" be followed. When one becomes obssessed with law, one tends to ignore or defame the life that that law is meant to operate within, no?