Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bush Warns Nuclear Terror

Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:03 am

US President George Bush has said Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda organisation is seeking to acquire nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
His comments came in a video address to the leaders of 17 Eastern European nations meeting in the Polish capital, Warsaw, whom he thanked for supporting the US-led war against terrorism.

Mr Bush said the al-Qaeda network, which the US blames for the 11 September attacks on New York and Washington, was trying to export "terror throughout the world". "Al-Qaeda operates in more than 60 nations including some in Central and Eastern Europe. These terrorist groups seek to destabilise entire nations and regions," Mr Bush said.

"They're seeking chemical, biological and nuclear weapons. Given the means, our enemies would be a threat to every nation and eventually, to civilization itself."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1641000/1641042.stm

Alpha 1

RE: Bush Warns Nuclear Terror

Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:05 am

We've seen what this scum can do using airplanes, imagine what they could do if they ever got a hold of nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction. That's why they need to be hunted down and destroyed.

heavymetal

Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:51 am

For forty years the Soviets and the US pointed the most horrifying weapons at one another. They were never used because in both countries, a healthy dose of reason and self preservation prevailed....we were rightfully terrified of what this world would become if they were ever launched...

But what happens when a nuclear-possessing party doesn't HAVE those psychological safety systems? ...when they honestly believe the REAL paradise happens after they die, that this Earth is just an annoying waiting game before the real party?

Call the situation what it is.....nuclear weapons in the hands of psychopaths.

These people don't need to be brought to justice, re-educated or negotiated with....they need to be removed from this world before they do the same to the rest of us.

Jaspike

Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:19 am

A nuclear place in England had military aircraft over it a last week.

Josh
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

IndianGuy

Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:49 am

While we must be alert to all possibilities, I seriously doubt if al-Qaeda and other similar rag-tag organisations have the ability to get nukes or even the so called dirty bombs which spread radiation. They could at best hope to get their hands on Biological weapons.

bin Laden getting Nukes is beyond the realm of possibility IMO. i think Dubyaman is plain over-reacting.

heavymetal

Wed Nov 07, 2001 4:21 am

That "rag tag" organization as you call it managed to turn a few simple Boeing jetliners into weapons of mass destruction.

You'll allow me a little more concern...keep in mind that at the height of the Cold War, the Soviet Union produced over 140 TONS of weapons grade plutomium, and over 1,000 TONS of highly enriched uranium. I hardly think all of this deadly material was melted down into golk clubs. And considering the state of Russia these past few years, I would say it is probable, not just possible, that some of this stuff found its' way south and east.

I don't think I'm over-reacting at all, regardless of what "Dubyaman" thinks.

EGGD

Wed Nov 07, 2001 4:37 am

How will they get them into Afghanistan? Or if not where they be launched from?

Sounds stupid.

Regards

Dan

JetService

Wed Nov 07, 2001 4:41 am

Overreaction? Maybe some people aren't willing to bet their lives on that.
"Shaddap you!"

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:17 am

They said the same about IRAQ during the gulf war .. it's a possibility that everyone needs to be aware of. However, it is unlikely that it would ever happen because they not only need to get the stuff to make the weapons, they need to put the weapons together and they then need a way of sending them where they want them to go. Currently they have none of that capability.

Possible, but not likely so I would suggest not losing too much sleep over it. Terrorism is about frightening people, are you going to allow them to win by being frightened?

VH-ADG

Whistler

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:25 am

"How will they get them into Afghanistan? Or if not where they be launched from?"

Through Pakistan, China, god knows, and Afganistan isn't the only country these guys are operating in.

And Nukes don't need to be launched in ICBMs. Why not sneak one on a container ship into SFO? Boom. Thats just one example.

EGGD

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:28 am

I know they are not operating in other countries, i just fail to see how they can get their hands on these weapons and launch them, all in complete secrecy.

Oh well

JetService

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:29 am

ADG, I do not expect to see a mushroom cloud in my zip-code anytime in the near future. But in 5 or 10 years? Who knows. Let's deal with it now so we don't have to be frightened. Sound good?
"Shaddap you!"

clipperhawaii

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:50 am

Quoting Indianguy,“I seriously doubt if al-Qaeda and other similar rag-tag organizations (sic) have the ability to get nukes or even the so called dirty bombs which spread radiation.”

There were people who thought that Pearl Harbor would never be attacked let alone hijacking 4 commercial airliners and flying 2 of them into the World Trade Center. If that bastard Bin Laden could get his hands on nukes he would use them there is no doubt in my mind.
This is a damn war people! We must prepare for any eventuality, regardless if we think it is “possible or not”. The solution is ALWAYS to kill your enemy before he kills you. Plain and simple.
I am also happy that the United States is making it “plain and simple.”
"No nation can be neutral in this conflict, because no civilized nation can be secure in a world threatened by terror," President Bush said.
Bush has also said he was putting "every nation on notice" that their support for ending terrorism must "involve more than sympathy or words."
"Our enemies have brought only misery and terror to the people of Afghanistan. And now they are trying to export that terror throughout the world. Al Qaeda operates in more than 60 nations, including some in Central and Eastern Europe," Bush said.

If you think that because you live in Asia, Africa, or Europe, that you are immune to terrorism it is high time that you wake up! “Either you are with us or against us” is a very apropos statement in regards to terrorism.
Let us hope that we beat this scourge to our western(world) society.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Banco

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:52 am

The greater threat is a "dirty" bomb, not a nuclear detonation but a convention explosive into which has been packed radioactive material which is relatively easy to get hold of. It's unlikely to cause huge damage beyond the conventional explosion, but the psychological effect would be substantial.

I believe it is this possibility that is exercising the minds of the powers that be.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

American_4275

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:02 am

A couple questions.

1. Do these bastards have the money to carry out such an operation?

2. Who would give them nuclear weapons? The only answer I can think of would be Iraq. Am i missing a country?

American_4275

The747Man

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:28 am

The answer to this is simple, nuke them and Iraq before they do anymore to us. Innocent will die, but it's war.

Banco

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:36 am

I suspect The747Man, that provoking a planet wide nuclear war (for that's probably what would happen) might be just too high a price to pay...

EGGD

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:41 am

A nuclear war didn't happen when you bombed the Japanese  Big grin

(Note sarcastic wink)

The747Man

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:46 am

Banco, it wouldn't erupt in Nuclear War, if we git rid of our main ememies, the rest don't have nukes.

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:53 am

I think that if Al Queda DOES in fact get its hands on a nuclear weapon, and even worse, if it DOES launch EVEN ONE at us, then here is what will happen.

First of all, the U.S. and the rest of the world will forget about political brown-nosing, you know, what we'e doing right now. Being careful not to pioss too many people off and ONLY hit the Taliban and Al Queda members. You'll see a full-scale war against Afghanistan, you will see thousands, not hundreds, of U.S., British, Australian, Canadian, Russian, etc troops move into the country and search under every rock for Osama Bin Laden and all of his henchmen.

It's one thing to terrorize our nation, but a nuclear assult is quite another. They will take AFGHANISTAN OUT and all regard for innocent lives will be placed on the back burner. Then, the real matter will be to save the world from this nuclear threat.

Remember, the A-bomb had to be dropped on Hiroshima to end the war and save countless more lives. Lives that would have been lost dduring the land invasion that would have occured in Japan had the bomb not been dropped. This would be the same situation. Some innocent afghanis would have to die as a result of the effort to preserve civilized humanity.

Honestly, if your country were threatened by a nuclear assault, would you not say "Well, I'd rather have millions of lives SAVED than let them attack us and kill much more. One or two afghanis in exchange for millions of other human beings, It's worth it."

I would, and I do.

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Banco

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:02 am

The747Man,

What about China, possibly Iraq, Israel, half a dozen former Soviet Republics, and especially India and Pakistan? Or do those bastions of political stability not count?

Scotty

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:18 am

"Why not sneak one on a container ship into SFO"

Or in a briefcase in the NY subway?

Bush may be overreacting for now but we've seen what can happen if psychos arent stopped early. The US and its allies should imagine the unimaginable and then work out how to stop it happening

Alpha 1

Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:43 am

Indianguy, so we doubt that Bin Laden could get nuclear weapons. Ok, fair enough. But does that mean that because any of us doubt he can do this, that we just ignore it? I mean, he has said in interviews in the past that this is one of his goals-to obtain nuclear weapons. He certainly has funding to undertake the initiative in trying to get a weapon like this.

So while I agree with ADG, that is unlikely he'll do it, you just can't ignore his stated goal that he wants to do it. YOu have to take it seriously, or else you'll have a catastrophe 100 times worse than 9-11.

And EGGD, again, you don't have to launch a nuclear weapon. Just as it could be dropped from an airplane, you can also rig one to be a stationary object, like even in a van or a truck. Again, as ADG says, it's doubtful he'll suceed, but you have to take the threat into account.

Whistler

Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:09 pm

"What about China, possibly Iraq, Israel, half a dozen former Soviet Republics, and especially India and Pakistan? Or do those bastions of political stability not count?"

I don't think any of those countries have ICBMs that could reach the continental US. Maybe China... but only the west coast.

IndianGuy

Wed Nov 07, 2001 1:21 pm

What about China, possibly Iraq, Israel, half a dozen former Soviet Republics, and especially India and Pakistan? Or do those bastions of political stability not count?

Someone actually thinks that India could supply nukes to the al-Qaeda? Boy! Talk about ignorance!

FYI, India has been fighting the al-Qaeda since 1993. Thats right, at a time when American politicians believed that bin-Laden, al-Qaeda and the Lashkar were "strategic assets" which could keep Russia, India and Israel in check.

Banco

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:55 pm

If you think I was suggesting that some of the nuclear powers would supply nuclear weapons to Al-Qaeda then you have no concept of what I was talking about. The post was in response to a suggestion that the US should nuke Afghanistan. I am saying that a nuclear strike is a highly destabilising and the countries that I listed are not stable to begin with. Read your history about how situations escalate when one nation takes extreme action.

The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, Sarajevo 1914 etc.

If you still don't get it, then I am not going to spell it out for you. Unfortunately,most people are blind to the realities of international politics. Opinion polls during the Falklands War showed about 80% of the British population wanted to bomb Buenos Aires!

Cause and effect, gentlemen, cause and effect.

AerLingus

Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:50 am

I can see the newspaper ad already:

WANTED: ONE NUCLEAR DEVICE FOR GLOBAL CONQUEST AND DESTRUCTION OF INFIDELS. PREF. SUITCASE, ICBM OKAY. CALL OSAMA IN KABUL.
1234-7890-345
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

EGGD

Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:10 am

How the hell would you get an unidentified aircraft ... nevermind.

After reading the fox coverage of what G Bush said, it looks to me like Propaganda to get other nations into the campain against Al Queda...

heavymetal

Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:15 am

EGGD , you just said "Fox Coverage" and "Propaganda" in the same line.

Very redundant.

Alpha 1

Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:16 am

Fine, EGGD, so you think it's propoganda. But when you have a guy who has already killed 6000 people in this country, combine with that his stated goal of killing Americans wherever they may be, and further combining with that his stated goal of obtaining nuclear of biological weapons, then you can't just brush it off. I'll bet in August you would have thought that hijacking 4 planes and destroying the WTC was ludicrous as well.

cfalk

Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:56 am

I agree absolutely that, unlike the Soviets, China and all the other nuclear powers who are restrained by MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction), fanatics like Bin Ladin would have absolutely no hesitation to use such a device. Even if he knows that the U.S. response would be to erase Afghanistan (and him) off the map, he would thereby accomplish his goal of setting off the entire muslim world against everyone else, necessitating further bloodshed.

By the way, a "suitcase bomb" is certainly outside the range of probability. It takes massive research and development, not to mention actual testing, to make such a small working nuke, and this could only be realistically be developed by the U.S. or Russia. More likely is a larger, cruder device, which you might fit into a small truck or a van. Hide that in a 40'ft container, load that onto a ship, and sail it to destination. The only way to possibly to guard against that is to have the navy or coast guard stop and search every single ship larger than a rowboat that approaches U.S. waters (not to mention the U.S.'s allies' waters).

Remember that the 9-11 attacks worked by using a tactic nobody dared think was possible. Nobody ever believed that people would hijack an aircraft with just a few pocket knives, or that they would kamakaze them into cities. The great lesson of 9-11 is that the successful terrorist will do the unexpected. Nobody thought that anybody would be crazy enough to unleash biological warefare, hence the idealists pushing for "bans" on such weapons. The next attack, whenever it comes, will again be from an angle that we don't expect, or so far have always pushed away, saying "nobody is THAT crazy". Well, he is, and they are.

Charles

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

EGGD

Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:22 am

I'm just sayin thats what it sounded like, i mean when you hear 'this may effect every nation in the world if we let this happen' wouldn't you say he was pleeding for more people to help, and they have no solid evidence that that is what Bin Laden is planning to do.

What about 'judged innocent until proven guilty'?

heavymetal

Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:30 am

'Judged innocent until proven guilty'

Nice concept. One that we tend to honor. Unfortunately when your enemies abide by no rules of civilization, they are quite innocent until the moment they become guilty....and by that time thousands (or hundreds of thousands of people) are dead.

Mohammed Atta was innocent of killing thousands...right up until the milisecond the 767 he flew hit the side of the WTO.

And you're mistaken...bin Laden has said on numerous occassions that it is a holy warrior's duty to kill Americans. That to me is an evidence of complicity, if not outright guilt, and any rationally thinking person would conclude he is not defining a number , be it 1 or 1 million, with that belief.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:31 am

Sorry Freudian slip...I meant "WTC", not WTO.

The747Man

OK, Here Is How It Goes......

Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:48 am

With all this talk, everyone should know something.....

If anyone were to set off a nuclear bomb anywhere in the US, the country that it came from would CEASE TO EXIST in a matter of very short time. Well, the land would be there, but nothing else.

It would only take one of our submarines to knock out almost any country on earth. We would most likely completely destroy Afganistan and Iraq.

I know Bush won't take this kind of crap. So, I have a message for enemies of the US:

If you want to bomb us, go ahead, you might as well bomb yourselves instead, you're dead either way assholes.

My 2 cents.

The747Man

Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:03 am

I AGREE 200% The747Man!

That's exactly what My Post was all about. You can terrorize the US and kill thousands of people. If you're a terrorist we will come after you but make sure we don't piss off the political system while we do it.

If you're a terrorist and you drop a NUCLEAR WEAPON on the U.S. we don't give a FUCK about political relations, your NATION will CEASE TO EXIST, AND SO WILL YOU. TOTAL WAR.

Exactly. There's different types of war, but the devastation nuclear weapons would bring on the U.S. would signal all out, bloddy, total, war!

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

IrishFlyer

The747Man/Aloha737-200

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:36 am

Damn Right!!!!! I Agree 300%. Thats the best thing I've ever heard on this Forum. If they do something like that we should blow the hell outta them.

IrishFlyer

Bryan Becker

RE: The747Man/Aloha737-200

Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:05 pm

When I go I go out with a bang-so hay dont matter to me what every they do I got sumthin for them I have been planning for that day when it goes down. Lets just say all of them and i mean all will know fear.

Alpha 1

Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:12 pm

What about 'judged innocent until proven guilty'?

Uh, EGGD, isn't what he did on the 11th proof enough of his guilt, and his desire to destroy Americans? With that kind of track record, I don't think you can take lightly what he says he wants to do, do you?