Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Only In The Usa!

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:40 am

Hey guys,

Below is a news story I just read. I just couldn't believe by-standers were throwing stuff at the carjacked utility!! I think it's really funny.... (in all seriousness it is a silly thing to do..)

No offense to my American friends.

lol

mb

Bystanders lobbed bricks and rocks at a stolen sport utility vehicle, injuring a carjacking suspect who led police on a dangerous high-speed chase through the upper Florida Keys on Monday.

The suspect forced several motorists off the road as he sped through the island chain along Highway U.S. 1 at over 100 mph (160 kph), sometimes driving on the wrong side of the road, sheriff's deputies said.

The televised chase covered at least 40 miles (64 km) and ended after deputies spiked the fleeing vehicle's tires, flattening them. The suspect drove for several miles on the rims of the tires, then pulled off the road and jumped out of the moving SUV, which rolled over his leg as he lay on the grass.

Bystanders on the roadside, threw rocks, bricks and even a bicycle at the white SUV as it sped past, said Monroe County Sheriff's spokeswoman Becky Herrin. Some of the debris shattered the driver-side window and hit the suspect, whose leg was covered with blood when he surrendered.

Callers also deluged sheriff's emergency lines with suggestions about how to stop the fleeing vehicle, with several urging deputies to erect roadblocks or raise the drawbridges. Deputies rejected those options, fearing an accident that could have injured bystanders or damaged the bridges.

"People need to know that throwing items at the car was very dangerous," Herrin said. "They could have hit another vehicle by accident, they could have hit a deputy, or they could have caused the fleeing vehicle to crash into another car. Someone could have been killed."

IrishFlyer

RE: Only In The Usa!

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:47 am

HAHAHAHA, I would do it to!

IrishFlyer

KROC

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:52 am

Yeah, only in the USA. Nowhere else in the entire world do things like this happen.  Yeah sure

The747Man

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:56 am

"People need to know that throwing items at the car was very dangerous," Herrin said. "They could have hit another vehicle by accident, they could have hit a deputy, or they could have caused the fleeing vehicle to crash into another car. Someone could have been killed."

That's a bunch of crap. People help stop this dumbass running from the police, and this is what they get?

767-332ER

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:56 am

It's amazing what we americans do. Throwing a bicycle at a car!!! That is great. In a sense it makes me even more proud to be an American.

By the way, have you guys seen the "I am An American" commercial. Outstanding how all the cultures and backgrounds are mixed in there.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

IrishFlyer

The747Man

Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:59 am

Heya Kev, Get a load of who posted this Topic...Can we say Rice-Burner?

~IrishFlyer~

JetService

Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:51 pm

I always thought a good tool for police to use is a power-sprayer type tool that sprays white paint on the windshield from a static position. Use it at the same place the spikes are used. It would have to be 100% complete coverage and something that wouldn't come off easily with wipers, so the driver would not attempt to drive with poor vision. Oil-based perhaps and quick drying. Hmmm
"Shaddap you!"

Metwrench

Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:30 pm

Okay, so everybody at the scene was wrong, law enforcement & bystanders both.

What would you experts with perfect 20 x 20 hindsight vision have done?

IHadAPheo

Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:12 pm

And where were these guys when we needed them ... I remember a low speed white Bronco chase awhile back that would have been spiced up a bit by this.

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
YES I ment O.J.

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Fri Nov 09, 2001 2:31 pm

Hey guys,

When did all this "film the chase live" stuff happen, as this is the only way people would have been able to 'know' where to throw stuff at this guy.

Did it start with OJ?

Cheers,

mb

cedarjet

Sat Nov 10, 2001 2:19 am

Most "Only In America" stories are about people asking French tourists if they have cars in France, or burger restaurants for pet dogs. But I agree with 767-332ER, "It's amazing what we americans do. Throwing a bicycle at a car!!! That is great." Like any non-US citizen, I have very mixed feelings about America, hating it's inhumane and aggressive foreign policy and utter collective ignorance of the world outside it's borders, but at the same time there's something about the place and people that is unique and I love very very much, and for some reason this story invokes the latter. God bless America!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Lindy

Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:54 am

I was watching this live at work in tv hehehe it was cool
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

yyz717

Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:02 am

This is good! We all need to be more pro-active about preventing crime.

Cedarjet....as a Canadian having lived in the US and the UK.....I would say that Britons are far more ignorant about the world at large than Americans.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:02 am

I saw so many police chases on TV in LA it was beginning to look like a scheduled program!
I love how the dumbass reporters on our local channels (2,4,5,7,9,11..etc) like to blow things out of proportion...

mls515

Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:03 am

MX5-

Not too long before the OJ persuit, there was a movie that came out called The Chase with Charlie Sheen. It wasn't really understood outside southern California until after the OJ Chase. It's great, see if you can get your hands on it.

Sat Nov 10, 2001 2:30 pm

Mls515,

Will see if I can get it from the video store mate.

Cheers,

mb