Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jet_guy
Topic Author

WRC/Group A/ Group N: Rally

Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:03 am

What is the difference between the categories of WRC/ Group A/N???? in Rallying. I always have heard it used, and want to know the technical differences between the cars in each category

Sam  Big thumbs up

(Bourne for a WRC subie seat!)

Aussiemite

RE: WRC/Group A/ Group N: Rally

Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:22 pm

Group A
highly modified cars, typically these cars share no identical parts as their production car counterparts.

Group N
slightly modified, they have rollcages, some suspension work and i think only a little engine work done. This category is also ALOT cheaper but you still need hundreds of thousands behind you to be competitive

jet_guy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:27 pm

thanks aussiemite, Also i think you have to release x amount of WRC cars for the public. Hence the release of the Evo 6.5 TME

Aussiemite

Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:35 pm

EVO 6 would typcially compete in Group N with a few mods

WRX with a few minor mods would be in Group N as well.

Group A WRX's are built in britain and arnt even comparable to a off the shelf WRX. they have the same shape but thats where it ends.

These cars are also completly seem welded and braced alot stronger. I recall reading an article on the v8 Supercars, its like comparing a HSV to a group A theyre competly different, the chassis and body alone would set you back 180 000 AUD gearbox is like 30 000, engines 85 000 etc etc

IHadAPheo

Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:44 pm

Jeez I sure do love WRC, but you should see the pi$$ poor coverage we get here in the US. I mean even Speedvision coverage is little more than a Cambells' Condensed Soup (Very short highlight) version. Here's stage 1 if you go to the fridge for a beer by the time you get back they are showing the "winners" and show Credits. Well at least they show the F1 races in whole. You don't kno how lucky you are to get complete WRC coverage.

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Aussiemite

Fri Nov 09, 2001 3:49 pm

In my opinion its the most exciting form of motor racing, Sundays are motor sport day on TV and generally once a month they run a couple of hours on it, every WRC stage they dedicate a few hours to every other week they probably show half an hour or so of highlights from smaller rallys

jet_guy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2001 5:16 am

We got motorsport on sunday too, but little coverage of rallying, even our home town rally (Rally of New Zealand) got 2 hours worth!! crap!! when they do show it, its two weeks later on and everyone knows who has won, and what happened in the race. I believe its better just to go and see it live. We got the best place this year on a sharp corner looking down in the cars as they drifted around.....

I beleive they are looking at having a FIA sponsered race in the US in the near future.

Sam