Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlinelover
Topic Author

USA Vs NZ VCR's

Sun Nov 11, 2001 4:56 pm

Can they both play the same tape? I want to send a self-recorded tape to a friend in NZ, but she's not sure it will work in her VCR.. Just a standard VHS tape..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

IHadAPheo

RE: USA Vs NZ VCR's

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:00 pm

USA and Japan TVs' use the NTSC system and I think (but please don't hold me legally responsible for this) than NZ uses the PAL system they are NOT interchangable
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

IHadAPheo

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:08 pm

OK here is a link that tells you more than you ever wanted to know about NZ. Just cut and paste the addy and go to the section on TV. and yes NZ is using the PAL system. However NTSC can converted for a fee of course to PAL and vice versa. The person in NZ would just have to find a firm that can do this. Crikke I almost forgot the ADDY !!!!!

www.kiwinewz.com/html/nzinformation.htm
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

ryu2

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:14 pm

You can also buy "Multi-System" VCRs that will play all tape formats, but they are expensive (about $500 USD or more)

IHadAPheo

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:24 pm

I have an old Instant Replay Multi-standard VCR and to really get the "best" results you also need a Multi-standard TV Sony and Panasonic (Matsushita) make a few models. If you want the full scoop try going to google.com and search for "Muti-standard (Multi standard) television or vcr. You'll find all the info as to how to put a full system together. SECAM is yet another system out there for TV bradcasting.

I almost forgot again, if moneyis no object go to www.tenlab.com/ and check-out the TV system converters

mls515

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:33 pm

Put the movie in digital format and burn it onto a cd. That's probably the easiest.

What are you doing, stripping for your girlfriend?  Big grin

Aussiemite

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:51 pm

major standards are NTSC and PAL, NZ uses PAL, US uses NTSC however modern mutli std players play both NTSC and PAL. I would record it as DivX and sent it over the net or burn the DivX to CD.

airlinelover
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:06 pm

Thanks guys.. I guess I may have to burn it.. But I don't know how good here system is..
PS. .. Mls515, LOL..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

LH423

Mon Nov 12, 2001 2:23 am

Why is that? I never understood why the Americas and Japan use one system, and Europe, Asia and Oceana use a different system.

The same goes for DVDs too, where there are "Zones", and in order to play European or Australian DVDs, you need a multi-zone player. US is Zone 1 I believe.

It seems strange that there wouldn't be a global system.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

IHadAPheo

Mon Nov 12, 2001 10:59 am

There are 3 main tv systems NTSC (North America Japan and some others), PAL Preety much every-where else with the exception of...... SECAM which is in France and a few others. Picture quality is "generally thought to be lowest in NTSC (I've been away from video for far too long so I can remember all the specifics) due to scan rate and max lines of resolution. As far as DVD goes it's primarily the fact that the corporations are money grubbing sleezes who want to limit where you can buy media. An example of this being you just can't send a DVD from Europe to the US etc.

Babbling continues........ There are a few DVD players out there that can play any Region DVD hard to find again due to the Money grubbing sleezes, also most DVD drives in PCs allow you to change the region setting a limited # of times usually 4 so be carefull or you may find yourself stuck in the wrong Zone.

Last babbling section, If I can find a good source on the net for all this info I'll post a linkif not I hope this mish-mash was of some help

Yours
Ihadapheo
(I former lumberjack)