Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Stupid Travel Agents, Stupid Countries...

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:23 am

so instead of being in Cancun in in Chicago. here's what happened. we went to check-in for Apple Vacations, and they said we needed visas since we're not americans (although we have green cards and re-enter permits) mexico made a bunch of new rules since September 11th, but we bought our tickets on November 27th so the travel agent should have told us, its her job. But anyways we threatened to sue the travel agency so they gave all the money back (all $11,000) for 5 people, 10 days all-inclusive vacation in Cancun. alright the travel agent screwed up and admitted it, but what's with mexico they really think we are going to cross the border illegally INTO mexico after living in the USA for 10 years? maybe they didnt notice their population moving northward past the border illegally but i say they take care of that problem before not letting tourists into their country. anyways everything sucks and winter break is ruined, i'm stuck here in Chicago!!! and i hate Chicago...

twa902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Jason Seiple

RE: Stupid Travel Agents, Stupid Countries...

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:26 am

It's actually your fault that you don't have the proper documentation. It's something you should have checked into. At least you got your money back.... but it was your own problem you didn't make sure you were able to legally enter Mexico.

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:43 am

that's the point seiple... we did check into it, more than once... by asking the travel agent. and she assured us hundreds of times we DIDN'T need visas, but this all proves why travel agents get paid a median of $19,000 a year...

she was simply not aware of the new laws

twa902

Jason Seiple

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:47 am

If you were at all concerned then you would have contacted perhaps your local Mexican consulate (if Omaha has a Mexican consulate, then I'm sure Chicago does) or contacted the US State Department, which has 1-800 numbers for exactly this purpose.

Travel agent pay is what it is because many do not use travel agents anymore and the airlines continually cut their commission and benefits.

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:58 am

well we WERE concerned, but now we know to never trust travel agents. Plus my dad and my brother had already been to Cancun once without visas so there was no reason for us to be overly-concerned.

twa902

Jason Seiple

Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:00 am

Why would you want to go to the over-Americanized tourist trap that is Cancun anyway?

mls515

Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:14 am

Damn, that really sucks! The travel agent should have been on top of the current regulations. Most people aren't experts in international travel and count on them to make them aware of the formalities.

Any chance your family will be salvaging the time and money and going somewhere else?

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:23 am

that was not my decision to go there, i never really wanted to go to Mexico at all but hey it's better than Chicago

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:26 am

MLS- there is a chance but it's really small... everything is closed today so the travel agency manager will call us tomorrow (or so she said) to tell us what else is available, but a day in advacnce we need 5 seats on a plane i don't think thats going to happen

twa902

access-air

Thu Dec 27, 2001 12:34 pm

Hey TWA.....Im a travel agent and have been for 12 years and let me tell you that Your travel documents that arrive at the travel agency 14-21 days in advance have informatuion in them concerning citizenship inside, of what is required etc.......unless you picked up your travel documents at the last minute for travel the next day you should have had plenty of time to get the proper documentation....As far as proof of citizenship is concerned, did you tell the travel agent that you held green cards and re enter permits or did you lead her or him to believe that you are a US Citizen?? If you led them to belive that you are a US Citizen then its your own fault. If you are a US citizen , then all you need is proof of citizenship in the form of a certified birth certificate withe an embossed seal from the county clerks off in which you were born and your valid drivers license or state issued ID card, or whats best is a passport... But since you are clearly not US citizens (not sure what nationality you are) to enter Mexico you prolly need a bit more documentation. Actually Apple Vacations trips can only be purchased thru a travel agent. If your Travel agent didnt know about this new requirement, then im fairly certain that the resposibility lies with Apple Vacations to let your agent know what you need.
Also i dont think you stated when you were departing and how close to departure you recevied your documents...if you got them at the last minute for travel at the last minute and you had to do airport document pickup, or you had them a long time before departue... If you had them a long time..then the responsibility as Seiple has said lies on your shoulders....We get peole all the time that order tickets in our agency usually over the phone, we go over the itinerary, they okay it and have us issue the tickets with their credit cards, we do , then they come and pick them up a day before they leave and then pull this....."Oh thats the wrong date, I said this date not that!" bullshit on us...so where were they 2-3 weeks ago when we issued the tickets and the dates were okay then????
Who the hell knows??? Then the agent is stuck trying to rectify a situatuion precipitated by the client....
So Mr. TWa902fly, you better thank your lucky stars that you had a travel agency to blame for what sounds like your incompitatnce, cause if Apple like most other travel companies had sold you this package comsumer direct...you would have totally Fucked out of your money!!! An No recourse......Am i correct in assuming that you declined the cancellation insurance too????
i have much pity for your travel agent as she probably bent over backwards to find you space and worked damned hard at it too...and now she has to deal with you......Oh well Live and learn and never assume anything.....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

PHLflyer

Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:15 pm

Policies have been changing a mile a minute since 9/11. On one hand you can not expect a Travel Agent to know everything about every destination. On the other hand they should have advised you to check with the Mexican Embassy for accepted documentation to enter Mexico as Legal US residents who are foreign nationals. This way they place the onus on the traveller and relieve themselves of some liability.

Access-Air is correct, your documents from Apple would have had all the neccesary information concering proof of citizenship. Apple has been very understanding with this change by the Mexican Government. They first try to move the passengers to a less restrictive destination and if that fails, they will refund all monies paid w/out penalty. My guess is that will only continue for a short period of time.

As a side note, Apple Vacations does not sell to the direct consumer, only to Travel Agents.

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:28 pm

We got all our money back actually and the agency took full blame for it. We got our tickets, package everything in the mail on like December 1st, so there was plenty of time it was not last minute. And we informed the travel agent many time that we weren't citizens, we told her we had green cards and a re-enter permit, and she said that it is all we needed, so we did not look into it any farther. But anyways this is all settled now and except for being in Chicago everything is great. And she didn't bend over backwards to find space for us, since it was in advance it was all easily found without multiple phone calls.

twa902

IrishFlyer

Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:35 pm

You wont have to worry about Mexico if Kevin and I are President/Vice President  Smile

~IrishFlyer~

yyz717

Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:37 pm

You should complain loudly about the travel agent to his/her boss, their employer/company, any local tourist boards, and Apple Vacations.

You got a refund but your vacation was ruined. The TA is expected to provide full service which means looking into nationality/VISA issues....this is their job.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 2:58 pm

we did complain to her boss... and then she said they were "unaware" of the new requirements... so now I am going to Punta Cana and I double checked the requirements myself on the 29th, returning on the 6th...
also on Apple. So instead of our original $11,000 trip we got the Punta Cana one, and for the extra money (Punta cana is less) we got 5 Domestic UA tickets... we just have to book them through their travel agency. So it is a pretty good deal

twa902

PHLflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:30 am

Where are you staying in Punta Cana?

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:53 am

Riu Palace Macao or somethign like that.

twa902

PHLflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:20 am

The Riu Palace Macao is a nice hotel. You also have about 2 or 3 other RIU hotels within wallking distance and you can use their facilities. Restaurants, bars, pools..etc.

TWA902fly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:42 am

yeah thats what i heard... it is Apple Vacation's only golden apple 6-star hotel (don't ask about their ratings) in the Dominican Republic. Except i read men have to wear long pants to dinner... i guess i won't be eating dinner... haha

twa902 chicago

PHLflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:02 pm

Their ratings are based on amenities and customer satisfaction as well as level of service.