Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

digitalone
Topic Author

Lord Of The Rings - Over Rated?

Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:01 pm

Has anyone seen this show yet? What did u think? i personally thought it was way too long...and kinda slow..

Any comment?

Digitalone

cfalk

RE: Lord Of The Rings - Over Rated?

Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:30 pm

I just got out of the movie theater a half-hour ago. I saw it with my daughter, who has not read the book. She felt frustrated by the lack of a happy ending - you are left with a cliffhanger. I was pleasantly surprised at how faithful to the book the film was. Of course there are huge parts missing, but the only things that were actually changed we the replacement of Glorfindel with Arwin, and the breaking of the fellowship, which is a little changed around. I think it's sad that some parts of the story were removed, although the removed parts were not really essential - rather side-adventures, like the Barrow or Bombadil. The special effects are really superb.

I hope that seeing the film will encourage people to read the books. My daughter wants to read them now, as she wants to know what happens next.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Aussiemite

Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:01 am

definatly worthwhile I cant imagine myself reading the book anytime soon, I have a BBC reading of the book on CD's though which I will be listening to. My sister has read the book twice and she thinks they left alot out.

I don't often go and watch movies but I do recommend LOTR.

[email protected]

Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:11 am

Not my type of film, so its a load of bull to me.

Regards
[email protected]
In Arsene we trust!!

KROC

Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:19 am

I can't believe they already have parts 2 and 3 already filmed. 2 more times we have to deal with this crap.

delta-flyer

Mon Dec 31, 2001 1:24 am

Well, Krock, you don't have to deal with it, stay home. Why can't you just let others have their fun? Why can't you just say that you didn't like it and let it go at that?

I loved it; went with my 2 teenage sons. The 19-year old saw it with his friends a couple of days earlier but wanted to see it again. I can hardly wait for the sequel!

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

jwenting

Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:00 am

KROC is always negative about anything. I think he is a theatercritic for a job...

Haven't seen the movie yet, going to next week I think.
Seeing that movies made after books are often disappointingly shallow in comparison, I'm not sure what to expect. At least the scenery and acting should be nice  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I wish I were flying

SSTjumbo

Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:07 am

"LOR is overrated" ...everybody, please observe the most pathetic comment in the new millenium.  Insane
I don't know, so this is my signature.

GDB

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:28 am

Impressive looking from the clips I've seen, but it's not for me. Good for kids I suppose, especially if it encourages them to read.
But, at the age of 11 I picked up The Hobbit, and soon concluded it was a load of bollocks, within a few chapters I think.
Instead I borrowed a friends paperbacks of Jaws and The Deep, we were too young to see the films these books became, which were on general release at the time.
I'm sounding like I was some kind of disturbed kid, I wasn't! Just never into fantasy stuff.

cfalk

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:37 am

While the Hobbit was written as a children's book, Lord of the Rings (written 15-20 years later) is of a completely different style, written for adult readers.

If you preferred screenplay novel adaptations to a real novel, I feel sorry for you.

Charles

JAL

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:39 am

It is one of the best film I've ever seen!!!
Work Hard But Play Harder

KROC

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:41 am

I am Gene Siskel in disguise. You all aint know?

GDB

Cfalk

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:54 am

I don't usually, but The Hobbit put me off Tolkein for good.
But then I've always wondered what all the fuss with 'Star Wars' was about, never been into 'Dungeons And Dragons' and while I can be amused by those cheesey 60's Star Trek episodes, find the whole 'Trekkie' business very odd indeed.
As for the Peter Benchley novels, a teacher praised my reading skills, was pleased I wasn't only just reading comics, but wondered if some of my reading material was a bit inappropriate for my age!

[email protected]

Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:49 am

I thought it was quite good, but perhaps an hour too long.

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

digitalone
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2001 1:19 pm

Dear SSTJumbo,

Seeing that you are from the United States, I would expect that you would be more adapting to freedom of speech, then again, you are fully entitled to think that it is the most pathetic topic of the millenium, so congratulations on your very critical comment.

I personally enjoyed the effects and sceneries, but the storyline was not particularly something I'd enjoy watching.

A good day to you  Smile

Digitalone

SSTjumbo

RE: Digitalone

Mon Dec 31, 2001 1:56 pm

Seeing as though you don't hang out around here too much, please note use of smilies and stop whining already!!!  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed BTW, that statement means I thought the movie was incredible.

...and a good day to you too!!!  Big thumbs up

digitalone
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:16 pm

SSTJumbo,

You are correct when you say I don't hang around here too much which I thoroughly regret.  Sad

BTW, I also totally understood your prior statement, so there is no need to reinforce it  Wink/being sarcastic

And about the smilies... they're great!  Big thumbs up

Turbolet

Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:01 am

I've seen the Lord of the Rings at the Embassy Cinema in Valletta today, not a bad film on the whole but extreeeeeeeeeemely long. Any film which is over two hours usually bores me, so...
-turbolet

cfalk

Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:11 am

God, people have short attention spans today. That's why we don't have many epic films made anymore. When was the last time a truely great movie was made, like Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur. And with modern techniques it would be even better. But nooooOOOOOooo! Anything more than 2 hours will bore them.

Pretty soon we won't have books longer than 100 pages...

Charles

ryanb741

Tue Jan 01, 2002 5:20 am

It was on the whole well done. I am re-reading the book now, and I believe that the characterisation of the Hobbits is done differently to how they were portrayed in the novel.

Also, various episodes from the book have been removed, or put in elsewhere (e.g. Gandalf's chat to Frodo about the ring and his destiny;' You were meant to find it, which is quite a good thing' happens a lot earlier in the book).

For me though, the book was a lot more evocative - every page literally drips with atmosphere - I can almost smell the smoke in the inns from how they are described in the book!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

SSTjumbo

Tue Jan 01, 2002 5:25 am

Digitalone: you're so easy to pick on. [  Acting devilish ]

VonRichtofen

Tue Jan 01, 2002 5:36 am

The movie has to be long, because the story is long. In fact there are huge parts missing in the movie as Cfalk said. Parts of the movie (like Gandalf leaving the shire and then returning) that seem to be only weeks are actually YEARS in the books. I thought the movie was excellent, and I'm glad it was long! I hate when I totally love a movie and then it ends after an hour and 20 mins. Just to keep the sheep from getting bored. I'm looking forward to "The Twin Towers" and "Return of The King".

Regards,
Kris