Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

Who Likes/Dislikes Microsoft?

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:50 pm

Who here likes or hates Microsoft? Personally i like microsoft (as a company) because they produce quality software like the windows operating system and MS office. They've taken the software industry by storm over the last decade or so.

So whats your opinions?

Regards
[email protected]
In Arsene we trust!!

iflycoach

RE: Who Likes/Dislikes Microsoft?

Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:04 am

What people don't realize is that Microsoft actually more or less standardized the PC. Before Microsoft was out there were Tandys, IBM, & IBM Clones in the market to choose for PC. If you were rich you bought the IBM if not the clone. The problem with the clone was not all software you bought ever did work for it.

I also don't know how people can bitch about them making operating systems that crash when they themselves probably can not even program.

I like Microsoft as a company and I'm finally happy that they actually made an OS that doesn't crash and is gamer friendly (Win XP).

strickerje

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:29 am

Anybody ever heard of Macs? They've been around since 1984, you know... I find Windows to be rather frustrating, and actually, it crashes quite often for me (on brand-new computers performing relatively simple tasks, such as typing or viewing the internet). Not to say that the Mac is totally perfect, because I know it isn't. To think any operating system is perfect would be foolish of me, but I still prefer the Mac OS to Windows.

Now all you Windows fanatics are going to flame me, but I find it incredible that some people can so strongly defend one product when they have never even tried the alternative. Anybody agree?

-Jeffrey Stricker

N400QX

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:32 am

Well, I like Microsoft, but I have a bit of a bias. I live in Seattle, my father works there, and, well, they pump the bucks into our area. And, yeah, they make awesome software too! XP is awesome.

N400QX

heavymetal

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:39 am

Microsoft did one thing that to this day infuriates computer whizzes...and makes Bill Gates rich.

In the relationship computer companies had with consumers as the industry took off, engineers and geeks always had this notion that the consumer had a responsibility to learn a thing or two about their world to get the best use out of their computer.

Gates said "uhhh, no." He knew a vast majority of consumers had little time & patience to learn even basic programming or function commands. He understood if we were to use it, it had to be dummy friendly.

The geeks detested dummy friendly things...because they were very obviously not dummies. But by the time they realized they needed to start embracing the lowest denominator, Gates had the biggest dick in town.

Macs were(are) user friendly. They're also cranky, which is what dummies get when they crash.

donder10

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:42 am

If it wasnt for Microsoft many people wouldnt been on this site,that is for sure!

LJ

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:51 am

I hate Microsoft on a daily basis as my Excel keeps producing those lovely error messages and the help function keeps popping up while I definately don't need it. I still prefer Lotus 1-2-3 (better logic in the programme) allthough that programme is probably gone by now.

Heavymetal, maybe you're right. Microsoft products created for dummies. This explains maybe part of the problems I have with Excel and some other problems. I know too much to understand the program and use the programme for too complex things.

Regards
Laurens

N400QX

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:55 am

Because my bloody post was lost when I clicked 'post,' I'll try to keep this short....

I don't really like Macs at all (yes I've used them) and would pick a PC anyday over a Mac. I just don't like the layout, the 'look,' etc... it drives me crazy. I like my versatile PC with Windows XP (great OS).

And, it'd be like selling out the home team. It'd be like me flying an Airbus or rooting for the Yankees. Ugh. Infra dignitatem. lol  Laugh out loud

N400QX

N400QX

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:05 am

I beg to differ on the Windows-made-for-dummies idea... sure, it wasn't made for super-knowledgable programmers and the type, but it was made for regular people would could easily learn this somewhat complicated OS. If you want something made for dummies, well.. Apple has that written all over it.

N400QX

VgnAtl747

Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:32 am

Microsoft in all is an ok company. Have they 'forced' too many people to use their software? No. Their software is simply available. If you don't like IE, then install NS. Its that simple. The reason IE is built into the OS is because the interface for My Computer, and other included file managers is the same. If you load My Computer, and type a web address into the address field, it will go to a website, thats the only reason IE is built in.

And everybody has to agree, that if it wasn't for microsoft, personal computing wouldn't be where it is today.
- Microsoft, Where do you want to go today?

VgnAtl747
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

N400QX

Fri Jan 04, 2002 7:46 am

Yeah, I am pissed off at the government for telling them to keep some programs out of Windows. "Hurting the consumer." MY ASS. Now I have to go out and buy the damn programs instead of get them preinstalled.

YES, YOU CAN. Microsoft.

N400QX

That reminds me... when I was at the MS Executive Complex last weekend, I saw a guys office with little pictures in the window-- one had a penguin, said LINUX, and the slogan was "NO, YOU CAN'T." Then below it had Windows and said "YES, YOU CAN." hahaha, it was quite funny.

Aussiemite

Fri Jan 04, 2002 7:49 am

If you want something made for dummies, well.. Apple has that written all over it. N400QX

Up until apple had the iMac's they were mostly used by professionals unfortunatly mac sold out and prostituted their product with all those gay colours.

I don't know much about your experience with Mac's but mine goes back 15 years and back then they were the best. All Mac's use to come standard with SCSI hdd's which made them shitloads faster then any PC.

about 5 years ago I was doing ALOT of programming on macintosh and they were great.

As far as the hardware setup goes I have no idea of form factors in mac. I do know PC very well though.

Microsoft as a company I dislike, they're a bunch of cheap bastards. Great marketing company poor technical company.

Computers crashing: No OS will ever be perfect! software should be seen as a living entity. I can elaborate however I won't.

BH346

Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:36 am

I think Microsoft is great. Microsoft improved the computers a lot with Windows. The computer boom wouldn't have happened without Microsoft.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

sccutler

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:59 am

The computer boom "happened" before MS was a factor.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

IndianGuy

Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:35 pm

Sccutler: I would disagree.

The Computer boom happened AFTER Microsoft came with MS-DOS.

When i was learning advanced Assembly language programming from my "guru", he would constantly launch verbal assaults on MS-DOS's faults (and there ARE many). But now i realise that for all its faults, MS-DOS has actually made it easier for zillions of people to use Computers.

Gates brilliance is not that he mde a technically superior product, but that he made an accessible product. Its no use making a fantastic program if no one can get to use it!

What MS-DOS and later Windows did is that it took Computers out of the Laboratories and put it on the desks of common people like you and me.

True. It wasnt MS which pioneered the GUI interface that we all use today. But Mac didnt have easily avaialble s/w tools that MS offered with Windows.

When i look at sites like ihatebillgates.com, all i can say is these guys should learn to respect the good work done by others and try to build on that instead of criticising them.