Beefmoney
Topic Author

I Need A Palm Pilot

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:13 am

Hey everybody,
Well, Sunday is my B-Day, and I need to buy a PDA/Palm Pilot. Which do you suggest I get? I only really need it to take notes, to do some assignments and a few other things on it for school. And of course I need to play a few games! Smile If you have one, give me some suggestions on which model would be best for what I am using it for, and is best priced.
Thanks everybody

jgore

RE: I Need A Palm Pilot

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:24 am

Get the Palm Vx. is not color, but you have 8 megs. it weights about 114 grms (don't know in punds) and is awesome.
i had it for about a month and had to sell it. lovely machine
but if you have more than 180 bucks, get the m505. color, 16mb expandible, etc.
jgore  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mark2102

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:33 am

I have the m505 and I would recommend it highly. I got it last May and love it. The only problem is it is slow to load in the expansion cards. The color screen is also hard to see because of the way they set up the backlight. I think the Sony has more features though for the money. It came out 2 months after I got mine. It depends if you feel like spending 400-500 dollars.

Mark

IMissPiedmont

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:41 am

You "need" a palm pilot? I take this to mean you can't take notes by hand.

I guess I'm becoming crotchety in my old age because I see these things as another useless toy. Pagers, cell phones and palm pilots are just electronic leashes IMHO.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

174thfwff

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:47 am

if all your going to do is write down homework, get the palm M105 or M125. Or the 150 buck model of the Sony Clie.

-Peace In-
174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:48 am

Hello IMissPeidmont, OK so I dont NEED a Palm Pilot, but I am getting it mainly to help out the organization part. I tend to lose my notes and assignment fairly easily, and a PDA would help that out. Many of my classmates already use Palm Pilots for the same reasons and the teachers seem to welcome them, because it cuts down on the noise and distraction cause by getting many folders/paper/books out of your backpack. I COULD keep doing it by hand, but, ya know, everyone else has one!!!!! Smile

IMissPiedmont

RE: Beefmoney

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:51 am

I knew what you meant, you want one. I just had to tease a bit.

174thfwff

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:53 am

Ahahaha, you can't take school notes on a palm!! You will be asking the teacher to hold on every 5 words because it won't keep up with your writing. Buy a laptop if you want to take notes.

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:57 am

I wouldnt worry about that, my teachers all say sentences at least 8 times for some odd reason. Again, I have it mainly to do assignments on.

174thfwff

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:02 pm

You want to do assignments on it? Thats even funnier.

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:06 pm

Yes its hilarious, ok sooooooo, back to the topic, for around $130 what is the best deal? And just for justification, both my parents will be using it every once in a while to do whatever they want to with it. They are %50 of he reason I get to buy one. No hard feelings 174thfwff, just messing around. Smile

kaitakfan

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:08 pm

I think its more of a "Look what I got, look what I got!!" kind of desire you have. maybe if a large majority of University students were highly encouraged to use them, which they arnt at ASU by the way! then I would say good idea. I am in my second year of college and hardly see a single person with one, let alone in class during lecture! So what if your teachers this year repeat what they say often... mind you this school term is over in 3 months! wont be that way all the time! now a voice recorder is better if your looking into getting good notes! But really a palm pilot its a waste of money for just those reasons!

kaitakfan

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:10 pm

woops forgot to wish you a happy early birthday!!

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:13 pm

lol, thanks for the thoughts and the birthday greeting KaiTakFan! I will consider that when Im thinking about it more.

fspilot747

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:18 pm

I have a couple friends with Palm Pilots and write down assignments with em. I would get a Handspring Visor if I were you. Thin, sleek, and crisp. My brother uses one for medical school, and he uses it for EVERYTHING. You won't need anything more than that, and it's affordable too. It's called the visor "edge."

-FSPilot747

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:26 pm

Thanks alot FSpilot747, One of my friends uses the visor edge and it looks pretty good. Maybe thats what im looking for.

sfointern

Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:54 am

Go with the Palm Vx. It's a steal right now, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find use of an SD card slot (for power users who have the time).

As a big plus, the Palm Vx was my dad's idea; it wouldnt' exist without him. (He was the guy in charge of the Palm V project, although he didn't come up with the original Palm V idea).

We have loads of Palm V, Vx, and various assorted prototypes lying around the house. Big grin

Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:08 am

I find Palm Pilots to be extremely annoying.

If you unorganized without them, your going to be organized with them.

- KEWR  Smile

Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:19 am

That came out totally wrong!

If you're unorganized with out them, you are going to be unogranized with them.

- KEWR  Smile

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:05 am

lol, KEWR, you messed up the first post and the second post, ill be "unogranized" eh?  Smile. Well im going to pick one out tommorrow and it looks like palm pilot Vx is winning followed closely behind by the Handspring Visor. Any other comments?

IMissPiedmont

Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:01 pm

Well I suppose that if KEWRs first post is correct, they are a good thing. If the second is correct, I'd like to know what an unroganized person is.

Teasing KEWR, don't worry. We do this to each other on a regular basis.

BTW welcome aboard.

Steve

Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:44 pm

I had one, gave it to my wife, cuz it didnt serve the perpose i needed it for.. I am getting a laptop.. It is way to expensive to connect a PDA to the net.

watewate

Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:04 pm

I have a Visor and iPaq; PDAs are extremely useful- if you know how to use them properly.

You probably can't take notes on your PalmPilot right away. Although it takes next to no time to learn griffiti, it takes time to build up your speed. Even when you get to a point where your griffiti speed rivals your writing speed, tapping away on the screen gets tiresome and tedious real quick. The fix? Get a keyboard for your unit.

You can find a keyboard unit for Sony/Visor/Palm/iPaq. Get the one from Targus, as it folds easily and offers the best touch type feel. They're pricey, but if you're going with Palm, you can find one at Compusmart (Cdn retailer, btw) for about $50 US. That just about half the going-rate on the market. You won't regret it.

If you're looking for deals, go with Visor. It's been well publicized that Handspring is going to drop out of traditional PDA game in order to focus on smart-PDA/Phones. In fact, they won't be releasing any new traditional PDAs this year. You'll definitely find great deals on Handspring units nowdays. Their springboard expansion slot is useful and more vesatile than rival schemes.

I'm in university and I see quite a few students taking notes on their Palm/iPaq. It's interesting to note that beginning of every school year, people come to lectures with laptops to take notes. Within a few weeks, all but a handful still show up to class with their bulky laptops. This drop off is more significant in rooms where no power outlet is readily available. But number of those taking notes with Palm are steady over the year.

Be aware that your Palm isn't MS Office compatible out of the box. You'll have to scour for the software, legit or pirated. This is where iPaq shines- you basically have MS Office out of the box.

So what am I trying to say after all this rambling? If you're on a budget, go with Handspring. If you got cash to burn, go with iPaq.

Beefmoney
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:13 pm

Thank you very, very much Waterwate. Your info has helped me alot in my decision.  Big thumbs up