Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

D L X
Topic Author

Haight-Ashbury?

Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:34 am

Any SF residents out there that know about this area? I'm considering moving there from the (boring) suburbs. What do you guys think of the area? How is the crime? The social scene?

My roommate and I noticed a lot of women there. Is it an area with a high concentration of lesbians? (or do we have a chance with said women?)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

tbar220

RE: Haight-Ashbury?

Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:06 am

My sister is a San Francisco resident, I can ask her about it, and then get back to you if she knows anything about it.
NO URLS in signature

Hepkat

Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:47 am

Hi DLX, I used to live in this area until 4 and a half years ago. Hmmmm...what can I say about it?

It's a very friendly area with mostly young, laid back, open minded and artsy type people. If you're suburb minded, a bit stuck-up or up-tight, then it's not the area for you, you'll be forever miserable. There are a lot of places to eat around there, but nothing fancy, mostly ranging from decent priced to backpacker priced. It can get a bit noisy, as one night I had to call the cops to get rid of these guys who decided to camp out right under my window. There can also be a lot of tourists who frequent the area out of curiosity, especially German speaking tourists.

If you're into vintage, you'll find a lot of used clothes and music stores. There's even a Gap. Transportation can be undependable. There're times when you'll get lots of empty buses, and then there're times you'll have to wait over half an hour. There doesn't seem to be any logic to the bus schedules.

There're lots of cafés and places just to hang out. You'll encounter a lot of people into hippie culture, so if this bothers you, you might want to reconsider. As for the weather, it's mostly not too hot and not too cold, for me it was just perfect. It can get overcast and cloudy sometimes, but for the most part, it's mostly mild and never too hot.

There are also a lot of seedy places where the homeless and hippie crowd tend to hang out, but these can be easily avoided if they're not your type. Just beware though, that Haight-Ashbury is not an upscale area. If you want to live there, you have to be open-minded and friendly. Hope this helps!

lindy field

Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:33 am

Pretty scummy in parts, offers some good shopping. Amoeba Records in the old bowling alley is awesome. You can probably find a nicer place to live. Inner Sunset is fairly hip, down by 9th Ave. & Irving St.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2002 10:10 am

The problem with Inner Sunset is that I will still work on the Peninsula. Sunset is pretty far away I think. I wanted to find a hip place, fairly close to the freeways.

lindy field

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:42 am

Sunset is very convenient for the north/south commute, being close to 19th Ave.(Depending where you live) Driving south on 19th Ave. you can get to 280 or 101 via 380 pretty easily. Also quite easy to get to the Golden Gate bridge. What isn't so easy is getting to the Bay Bridge.

764ER

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:49 am

Be on the lookout for Matt D in this area. I believe he is known as "Whippy" around SFO. Not sure why though... and I'd rather not find out.

Superfly

Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:12 pm

D L X:
Come on up!
It's just down the hill from me. I can ride my bicycle down there in just 3 minutes from here (Twin Peaks)
I do this to avoid the hassle of parking.
It's a great area with lots of good places to eat, cool bars, record stores and it's near Golden Gate park and the N-Judah train runs not to far from there.
It's pretty safe in my opinion. Parking kind of sucks but you'll never have to walk more than three blocks for a place.

As far as the whole hippy thing, the real hippies are all up in Mendocino and Humboldt Counties now.
Bring back the Concorde

FLY 8

@Superfly:

Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:36 pm

Hey Superfly you didn´t answer my question the last time! Do you know a bar in the area of fisherman wharf where they play 60 and 70´s sound?
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

johnboy

Fri Mar 08, 2002 10:01 pm

Do the residents still complain about all the homeless people urinating and defecating on the sidewalks, door stoops, etc. of the area?

BTW there's a Gap store and a Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop at the intersection of Haight and Ashbury.

Kind of illustrates the current San Francisco situation in a nutshell, actually.

Superfly

Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:30 am

Fly8:
Sorry I didn't answer your question last time.  Sad

I try to avoid the Fishermans Wharf area as much as possible. The only bar I know of over there is Houlihan's (sp).
It's very lame! Polyesters is better for that type of music. I still think that place is rather cliche and bland.
Bring back the Concorde

D L X
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:54 am

And Houlihans is a chain restaurant (like TGI Fridays).

Polly Esther's is good (although also a chain bar/club). Be prepared for a high cover. (~$15)

FLY 8

Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:08 pm

Why do you avoid Fisherman´s Wharf Area? Because of the tourists?

Well I thought I stay in the Radisson Hotel there! If you have a good bar somewhere just tell me. And do you know how I can get there?

Or is there anything else going on in SFO, I stay there on the 27/28/29 of June!

Thanx!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

johnboy

Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:52 am

Isn't that the period around Gay Pride?

Should be LOTS to do (and LOTS of people to do it with)!