Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dragogoalie
Topic Author

Golf Is Impossible

Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:59 am

I decided to go with my dad to the local driving range just for the heck of it. I've never played it before in my life, so I figured hey, it can't be that hard. You just hit that little white ball as far as you can. Well...thats the idea, but unfortunately, it isn't exactly that easy. I was doing really bad. By the end, I could either hit it really high, but way to the right, or straight, but it bounced along the ground really fast. I definately need a whole lot of practice. Anyway, I was whackin away, when I noticed that I had broken the little rubber tee that you set the ball on. I was trying to put in a new one, and was being outsmarted by the artificial turf. This little kid (probably about eight years old) who was hitting in another Tee box, came over to give me a hand. This kid was pretty good, and had obviously been taking lessons. he showed me how to put the new Tee in and I thanked him and said "wow, you are a lot better at this than me". He then replied "yeah, and I'm hitting it a lot farther than you too". You have no idea how tempted I was to whack that kid upside the head with my club. Anyway, thought everyone might like that so they could laugh at me. Any pointers by the way?

--dragogoalie-#88--

Banco

RE: Golf Is Impossible

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:03 am

I play cricket (baseball would have the same issue) and am very bad at golf. After watching me swipe uselessly at the ball in the driving range for ten minutes, a friend turned round and asked me why it was that I had no difficulty hitting a moving ball, but couldn't manage it with a stationary one.

I was speechless, and I haven't thought of a decent answer yet! Big grin

dragogoalie
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:07 am

I play both baseball and icehockey and really really suck at golf. The hockey thing doesn't really count though because I'm a goalie. If I'm gonna be inclined to do anything, it would be to jump in front of another golfers shot.

--dragogoalie-#88--

BWIrwy4

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:13 am

There's an idea Drago. Block their shots and you'll end up beating them. Big grin

JetService

Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:49 am

Hockey-players are generally good golfers. Must be something in common with the swing and launching a slapshot. I'm not that good. My goal is to break 95.

N400QX

Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:52 am

haha, that is the same reaction I have gotten from friends. They always so, "Oh, golf is a wimpy sport-- all you have to do is hit the ball into the hole."

Oh but do they leave the course with a different attitude!

To the greatest game of all time!

Banco

Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:58 am

Jetservice - Don't the skates cause problems with the greens? Big grin

EIPremier

Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:00 am

I have to admit, it can be a very frustrating game. I was doing really well for a while, hitting everything straight and solid, and now I'm losing 90% of my shots to the left. I always knew I had leftist leanings, but I didn't know they were that bad!

My general advice for someone having trouble with their game is to go out to the driving range and just work on short shots (ie. pitch shots) for a while. Just work on getting the club on plane and getting a smooth transfer of weight. Quite often, if I do some pitch shots for a while out on the driving range and then gradually work back up to a full-swing, I'm able to work out whatever problems I'd been having.

tbar220

Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:02 am

I can just see it now...

"Tiger woods, up for his tee shot....he rears back, and ooh it look like a long one...GREAT SAVE by dragogoalie!! He just robbed woods of a great shot! That should help him out in catching up with Woods in the score"

Big thumbs up

paulc

Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:30 am

having been playing golf for many years (25+ - i started very early) Big grin - it can be the most frustrating game on the planet although after getting a long putt, making a perfect pitch or a great drive, can be the most rewarding. There is little to beat the feeling of hitting a driver staight for 250 yards - only to go worm digging with your 6 iron on the next shot. A game of highs and lows (usually on successive shots)

fallingeese

Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:49 am

It's hard alright. I thought it was easy when I got into it 3 years ago, boy was I wrong. I figured, ok I play baseball and hockey, this is going to be easy. No way. So i got some lessons and practiced and now I'm not too bad. I think in you play hockey and baseball it does give you an advantage, you just have to learn how to use it.

EGGD

Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:22 am

I found Golf pretty easy. With the irons I can hit 180 yards+ and thats with only a couple of hours on the driving range and 2 rounds on a par 3 course.

I can't hit a cricket ball to save my life!!! I'm a much better bowler/wicket keeper.

Funny huh? I'm also very good at Tennis, darts and football. Very odd.

Dan  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

NWA

Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:22 am

Its a very hard game. I am hopeing that I will play in college. well I will see how I do this summer. If I stay a par alot, I will try out for the gold the the following year

Notar520AC

Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:23 pm

I have been playing golf for probably 5 years now, and I am still ironing out the bugs. Golf is probably the hardest sport I've played, just because you have to commit time and a hell of a lot of effort to even hit the ball. Sometimes I still miss it. It's very hard, especially when your growing to perfect your swing. The swing is what does it, and if you don't get that down you'll have to fix it later on, like I had to do, even now after I thought I had it right. I just came back from the driving range today, working on my drivers. I'm having a little bit of trouble with the flightpath (ballpath, whatever you want to call it) of the ball- I either slice it or hook it a little half the time. I've started to play in tournaments now with this thing called the Junior Golf Association (JGA), and we had the kickoff tournament a few weeks ago. I shot an 88 on 18 holes. That really emberassed me! Usually I'll do better, but that just wasn't my day.

In golf you're always learning. Every time you swing you learn. Every time you think you learn. And just like with anything, practice, effort, and commitment need to be in your head, or else you'll get no where. It will take time, and you just have to realize that. Even after 5-6 years I'm still fixing things and learning. There is always something to be fixed and always something to be learned. Your job is to find it.

-Notar520AC

JetService

Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:47 pm

LOL Banco! They come in handy when one of your opponents tries to hip-check your ass in the tee-box. I HATE that!!!

dragogoalie
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:51 pm

There's an idea..make golf more interesting by playing one on one. While the other guy is shooting, you get a goalie catch glove and stand where you think they're gonna hit it. You try and catch the ball, and then start hauling ass back towards the tee box. Then the person who hits it, has to try to tackle you and then hit it from there. If you get all the way to the T box, they gotta start over  Wink/being sarcastic Sounda a little XFLish, but then, and only then would I watch it on TV  Wink/being sarcastic

--dragogoalie-#88--

tbar220

Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:22 pm

I LOVE IT! I can see it again! hee hee hee

Commentator 1: "And here is Woods with the drive, and whoowhee its a long one....a good 300 yards! Roy is back there, puts up his glove and snags it..the race is on! Roy starts hauling ass down the green, and what's this? He's taking a turn into the rough!! Interesting strategy Bob."

Commentator 2: "Woods looks like he's got him, but oh! Roy gives him a blocker to the gut! Woods is down! Looks like Roy will make it back to the tee, what a waste of a great drive by Woods, looks like he'll bogey this hole Jack. Roy is on the tee area pumping his fist...he's saying something it appears, lets focus in on him"

Roy: "I amm zhee wa! I amm zhee best! Ay am a god! My stick eez much better than yor clob. I amm zhee best!"

Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up I'm nut Joe, we need something to replace the BB this week!!!