Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplanenut
Topic Author

Israel Declares War

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:32 am

From what I heard just now on CBS and CNN, PM Sharon just declared Israel in a state of War against Palestinians in the wake of the most recent attacks.

Jeremy

JonnyGT

RE: Israel Declares War

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:37 am

Since it is April 1st, (at least in some times zones) I ain't believin' ANYTHING.

airplanenut
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:39 am

It's still March in NJ.

I ABSOLUTELY SWEAR THAT I AM NOT LYING... this is COMPLETELY SERIOUS!

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:40 am

Yeah, yeah...Same old Shraon....

Sharon declared the war first by sending the troops in.

LY744

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:40 am

Didn't that happen about 2 days ago? Isn't that why we have so many ME threads around right now?

LY744.

LY744

Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:42 am

Laugh out loud

And hundreds (including unsuccesful ones) of suicide bombings that went without any interference from the PA are a declaration of peace and love?

LY744.

tbar220

Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:04 am

Couldn't have said it better LY744, but of course, nobody will listen to you

airplanenut
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:24 am

LY,

Today was the first time Sharon flat out said it was a war... there is a difference between fighting and a declared war against a people/nation/race

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:51 am

It's about time. I don't think a lot of the world would have been as restrained as Israel has been over the last two weeks in the face of this massacre from these Palestinian terrorists.

NWA742

Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:59 am

It's about time. I hope Isreal goes and beats the crap out of the Palestinian scum.

LY744

Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:01 am

I guess I took the "Arafat is our enemy" statement as a declaration of war. What's the difference anyways?

LY744.

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:21 am

I too hope Israel goes completely full throttle in attack and

beats the crap out of the Palestinian scum.

This will help the rest of the world see the nature of the two sides in this conflict.

It also might encourage people to look into *why* they are fighting.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

airplanenut
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:46 am

LY744,

The difference is mainly what the UN allows by the Geneva Convention and other crap like that.

As an example, when Pearl Harbor took place, the Japanese mailed the US to say the attack was coming and when. The mail got slowed down and the letter arrived I believe 3 days after the attack, but the date was stated.

It's also for technicalities. Now maybe some people won't say that they are just hurting innocent people, but rather they are engaged in a true war and this is what happens in a war.

Jeremy

PS- Did you know that Vietnam and Korea were not wars, but rather Conflicts? I believe the last real major war in the world was WWII.

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:59 am

Rogue, you are truly amazing. We've had a wave of suicide attacks in the last 72 hours, and you still don't think Israel has ANY justification to defend itself and it's citizens, do you? You still put ALL the blame on Israel, don't you? You still think these scumbags murdering terrorists are just fine fellows who just need anger management courses, don't you?

You are just so blind, that it's truly, truly sad.

N400QX

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:11 pm

Calm down, calm down, he didn't declare a state of war.

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:16 pm

Alpha,

If you take it from the point of view of the last 72 hours or two weeks, or maybe even two or ten years, then yes, you could say that Israel has justification to "defend" itself.

But, if you look at the whole conflict and try to figure out why these people are fighting, I think its clear that no side is clearly right or clearly wrong.

Your argument is similar to what the German's might have said during D-Day: "We've been here for 4 years already - we have every right to defend this land we took from the people already living here. We have a right to defend ourselves."

kind regards,

RogueTrader

jamesag96

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:18 pm

Good lord, will someone please put the kids to bed, and someone else tell the repetitive idiots to shut up. Please realize that there are ALWAYS more than one side to a story, so don't take one and embrace it as the absolute truth.

J

jamesag96

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:26 pm

Hey Rogue,
Your name tends to show up in the threads I visit, and I gotta say you are right on in this one.

J

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:01 pm

Your argument is similar to what the German's might have said during D-Day: "We've been here for 4 years already - we have every right to defend this land we took from the people already living here. We have a right to defend ourselves."

Not a very good analogy, Rogue. Israel was given the land by the world community as a whole; Germany took it as war booty.

I am encouraged, however, to see you acknowledge that there is blame on both sides, not just one.

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:19 pm

James, you'll find out that Rogue is rarely right, and he isn't on this one, either.

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:04 pm

Alpha, I appreciate your virulent anti-RogueTrader attacks. At least you have an opinion. Jamesag96, thanks.

++Back on topic for this thread++

Regardless of where one stands on the Is/Pal problem, the attacks Israel organizes, whether called offensive or defensive, can only hurt its cause in world public opinion. Not that anyone shoud act only on the basis of public opinion, (like Bill Clinton)- but I thought Israel was trying to garner some support for their side here. If they don't care what the rest of us think, then world opinion is obviously not an issue here.

Like it or not, Israel is now seen as something of the big military Goliath against the civilian rag tag Palestinians, playing David.

Right or wrong, the world sees the terrorist attacks (cafes, buses, etc...) as a desperate attempt from a group largely powerless to get their side heard in peaceful means. I know this may not be reality, however it is perception. I'm just pointing out that Israel can not now effect much in the way of a military response without earning contempt from the rest of the world.

So, this all goes back to the main point that both sides have understandable complaints, and any violence is just going to make it worse.

I understand the Israeli need to seek an eye for an eye - it is, coincidentally, in fact an instruction from the times of Moses. Exodus 21:23. But, where do they think this will lead? To peace? I can't imagine the Israelis honestly think retributions will lead to peace; therefore, I assume they want more war.

The question then becomes, why does Israel want more war?

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:10 pm

Alpha, I appreciate your virulent anti-RogueTrader attacks. At least you have an opinion. Jamesag96, thanks.

ROTFL, Rogue, that IS my opinion, that you're wrong, got it? Or do I need to spell it out further?

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:24 pm

But, if you look at the whole conflict and try to figure out why these people are fighting,

I have Rogue and this is what I found. The Palestinians have had numerous peaceful opportunities to achieve their state (wye river, olso, sharm el sheikh). No, the Palestinians want to win their independence in violence, death, and blood. The Palestinians can agree on nothing except what they want to destroy, not what they want to build. Ever heard Arafat talk about his new state's constitution? Ever heard Arafat talk about what type of education system or economy he wants? Ever heard Arafat talk about a new body politic? No, because Arafat is not interested in the contents of his state, just the contours.

As Tom Friedman explained in today's Times:
"Palestinians have adopted suicide bombing as a strategic choice, not out of desperation. This threatens all civilization because if suicide bombing is allowed to work in Israel, then, like hijacking and airplane bombing, it will be copied and will eventually lead to a bomber strapped with a nuclear device threatening entire nations. That is why the whole world must see this Palestinian suicide strategy defeated.
But how? This kind of terrorism can be curbed only by self-restraint and repudiation by the community itself. No foreign army can stop small groups ready to kill themselves"

RogueTrader, its easy to dismiss this Palestinian terrorism as some confined action to Israel because of the occupation. But it is not and 9/11 should've opened your eyes to this. Suicide Bombing is a narcissistic even nihilist phenomenon that has the ability to destroy western society. Our civilization was built on the basic pretense of the sacredness of life and the will to protect it. These suicide bombers (or "heroes" in the Arab press) hate Israel more than they love their life or their families.

This is extraordinarily dangerous becuase how do you fight someone who has no qualms about dying and even more importantly how do you create a society built on the ashes of suicide bombers who kill children eating pizza?

You don't.

TNNH

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:36 pm

ROTFL, Rogue, that IS my opinion, that you're wrong, got it? Or do I need to spell it out further?

Yeah, I think I got it. You don't have to spell it out further. I was just saying that at least you have an opinion about [me or] the Israeli matter. I said this to contrast those who think we shouldn't be talking about it here, or for the other people who don't even try to look into the situation.

I dont know what ROTFL means.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:48 pm

TWA,
Didn't you post this already - maybe on another thread?

Quoting Tom Friedman and the NY Times, btw, doesn't mean anything. You may as well quote straight from Sharon's mouth or the Israeli gov't PR agency. They are most biased in this matter.

I'm not really understanding most of what you're trying to say to me in the rest of the post. In fact I agree with a lot of it. Can you clarify?

You're right here though:

how do you fight someone who has no qualms about dying ....You don't.

That's exactly right, you can't fight a group that is so thoroughly devoted that they'll use these tactics. You'll never win playing their game, in fact, if you play their game, they'll win. You have to find some other way to deal with the problem. So why are the Israelis playing their game?

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:59 pm

That's exactly right, you can't fight a group that is so thoroughly devoted that they'll use these tactics. You'll never win playing their game, in fact, if you play their game, they'll win. You have to find some other way to deal with the problem. So why are the Israelis playing their game?

But you don't win "the game" by caving in to their terror, or, if you're a friend of theirs, as the US is, by abandoning them, either, as you suggest as a solution. The only solution that would lead to is the Final Solution.

jamesag96

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:20 pm

I don't think anyone on here is a cheerleader for the nut cases that are the Palestinian EXTREMEISTS. We are simply trying to understand what is happening and what can be done to alter what seems to be a dim future that threatens to engulf us all. What I don't understand is why it is so difficult to even grasp the idea that the situation is continually fed by BOTH sides. It gets rather frustrating that as soon as a thought that doesn't put the Israeli's in a positive light, he who put forth that thought is denounced as Anti-Jew.
And I do take exception to a comment posted earlier that none of the Palestinians that have been killed have been innocent civilians, that's crap and anyone who has paid any attention to this will tell you that. Too many people have died period, on both sides.

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:21 pm

Alpha,

Do you think that Israel using its military will

a> cause the Palestinians to calm down and give up, or

b> cause the Palestinians to be more pissed off, hire more suicide bombers, go completely nuts, etc...

???

Also, you are saying that US abandonment of Israel would lead to Israel's destruction, correct?

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:36 pm

Alpha answered your question to me. Thanks alpha.

Israel's destroying of the Palestinian terror infrastructure will DESTROY THE PALESTINIAN TERROR INFRASTRUCUTRE, THEREBY ENDING TERRORISM AGAINST ISRAELI CITIZENS.

Tom Friedman, an Arabic-speaking, New York Times correspondent on the ME is one of the most respected journalists in the world. Of course he is biased, he is an opinions writer.

His opinion however is not just anyone's but a highly educated highly experienced middle east expert. So respected that during his meeting with the SAUDI CROWN PRINCE, it was Friedman's peace plan the Saudi prince agreed to propose at the Arab League Summit.

TNNH

What else about my post do you agree with?

radarbeam

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:53 pm

Aren't you guys bored of discussing the same things over and over?

Israel there, Palestinians here. They both hate each others and they are doing nothing at all to end this shit. It's brings back memories of 2nd grade...

"He started"
"No I did not, you started"
"Shut up, my dad's bigger than you"

For god's sake, at least make one big thread and not a multitude of smaller ones that repeats the same old crap over and over.

For now, good night fellows.
Radarbeam

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:59 pm

Israel's destroying of the Palestinian terror infrastructure will DESTROY THE PALESTINIAN TERROR INFRASTRUCUTRE

If Israel has the ability to destroy 'Palestinian Terror Infrastructure', I honestly hope they do. I doubt it, but if you're right there will be no more Palestinian terror attacks after this, correct?

I anticipate that time will show that they're not trying to destroy the terror infrastructure, their just playing the usual game of eye for an eye revenge.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:05 pm

Of course he is biased, he is an opinions writer

When I said the NY Times and Friedman are biased, I meant the definition of biased that means prejudiced. In other words, they start from a prejudice, (in this case that Israel is always right / the Palestinians are always wrong) and then they present their opinions, writings, and 'evidence' to conform to this original prejudice.

You imply that anyone who writes their opinion is biased, this is not true. For an example, look on another thread, there is a kid asking something like 'Does Palestine Exist' -- he seems like he's starting from an unbiased position and hoping to form an opinion. His opinion, should he arrive at one, looks to me like it will be unbiased.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:10 pm

TWA-

What else about my post do you agree with?

I agree with these statements:

The Palestinians have had numerous peaceful opportunities to achieve their state

the Palestinians want to win their independence in violence, death, and blood

No, because Arafat is not interested in the contents of his state, just the contours.

These suicide bombers (or "heroes" in the Arab press) hate Israel more than they love their life or their families

The problem is: you're not asking what has caused these people to hate Israel and disregard their own lives so much. You imply that its only because Israel was put in the ME, surrounded by Islamic Arabs, that Israel is in crisis. You imply that there's something unique to the Arabs that make them so anti-intruder.

We're supposed to believe that if Israel were put in the middle of Uganda, or Russia, or pehaps in the Australian outback, that the people already living there would just accept it and not be upset, becuase their not Arab.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

tbar220

Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:17 pm

Radarbeam,

Reminds me of that Snickers commercial around the time of the election:

"Oh yea, well my dad used to be president!"

"Oh yea! Well I invented the internet!"

Laugh out loud

LH423

Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:44 pm

Calm down, calm down, he didn't declare a state of war.

Neither did Dubya with his famous "War" on terrorism, but American's have died during hostilities in Afghanistan. The Gulf "War" was just a "military operation" and as I recall, Korea was termed a "police action."

It, apparantly, doesn't always require an act of congress to be at "war".

LH423

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:10 pm

I'd like to get into the debate here, but have little to add at present.

"Israel Declares War" - They only noticed?

roguetrader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:15 pm

Singapore,

I'll try to get you involved in the debate here. I looked on your user profile, but I'd like to know: where do you live, where are your from, what's your background, etc...

kind regards,

RogueTrader

LY744

Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:58 am

Dear Rogue Trader, I know you think the Palestinians were deprived of their land by the evil Westerners and Jews, but what does that have to do with today's situation? People like you are precisely the reason why the Peace Process is going down the drain.

LY744.

go canada!

Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:06 am

the terrorist groups tell their subjects that is it their islamic duty to kill all jews.

rt, where does it matter where singapore air comes from ,hes allowed an opinion.

the fact remaisn the palestinians dont want peace, they dont want statehood they want the destruction of every jew the same as all arab states expcet egypt, jordan and qatar.

the arabs arent interested in palestinian statehood, syria refused to vote in favour of the un resoltuion that state this objective, they want israel to disappear o they can get more land, they wont give it to the palestinians, the palestinians have always been treated as second class by the arabs, while this is wrong its a point that must be stated.

as for the actual war, stuff the technicalities, israel is at war and is going to win.

roguetrader

Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:28 am

Dear Rogue Trader, I know you think the Palestinians were deprived of their land by the evil Westerners and Jews, but what does that have to do with today's situation?

It has to do with today's situation because in order to understand current events, you have to understand the history that leads up to the events.

Israel doesn't like to talk about the history because it weakens their position. They want to focus on the violence today, they don't want you to learn what is causing people to be violent, which is the creation of Israel.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Alpha 1

Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:33 am

Alpha,

Do you think that Israel using its military will

a> cause the Palestinians to calm down and give up, or

b> cause the Palestinians to be more pissed off, hire more suicide bombers, go completely nuts, etc...

???

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ISRAEL DOES!! These bombing WILL continue even if Israel stoppued using it's military today, accepted a Palestinian today, and gave up the occupied territories today. THE TERRORISTS WILL NOT STOP!!

Also, you are saying that US abandonment of Israel would lead to Israel's destruction, correct?

I am saying that if even if there's not a shadow of US support for Israel, then it will encourage the Arab nations to launch another war of annihilation against Israel. The Arabs have tried to destroy Israel 3 times, and all 3 times, Israel kicked their asses. Yet in the shadow of all this is a US presence that WILL help Israel if their existence is threatened.

Plus-remember one other thing-Israel is a nuclear power. And do you REALLY believe Israel won't use the ultimate weapon if they feel their very existence is at stake? One of the restraints ON THE ISRAELI SIDE, also, is the US presence, which tries like hell to keep Israel from doing anything like that.

roguetrader

Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:33 am

People like you are precisely the reason why the Peace Process is going down the drain.

If I were in charge of my country's foreign policy I would have nothing whatsoever to do with Israel and Palestine unless they both asked me to help. We've been trying for 50+ years to maintain a peace there and nothing ever lasts, neither side will act reasonable for very long.

This is a problem between Israelis and Palestinians. I am an American. Why should I have any influence on whether the peace process is "going down the drain?"

rt, where does it matter where singapore air comes from ,hes allowed an opinion.

Did I imply he wasn't allowed his opinion? I was asking where he was from because I assumed he was from Singapore by his name. If he said he was from anywhere but the US, I was going to ask what the people in his country think about the Israeli / Palestine problem.

the fact remaisn the palestinians dont want peace, they dont want statehood they want the destruction of every jew the same as all arab states expcet egypt, jordan and qatar.

This is pure Israeli PR. Yes, some extremists may want to kill every Israeli. Most Arabs and their state governments don't want the destruction of every Jew. They just want the situation with the Palestinians resolved and they feel that outside powers shouldn't take sides in the issue.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:12 am

Thank you Go Canada and RogueTrader, no offense taken.

I am from the UK

I think one user hit it on the head when he/she said that we hear that Arafat man talking about land and that stuff, but not about his visions for Palestine's economy, education, health system etc...

Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:21 am

I don't think the Israeli Army, no matter how good, could put an end to terrorism. Anyone can build a bomb these days, there doesn't need to be any organization.
btw, I think the Palestinians have been pretty stupid to continue these insane suicide attacks while we're trying to get a cease-fire going.

go canada!

Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:48 am

ermmmmmmmmm rouge,

iran and iraq and syria have all stated that the israeli state should be exterminated, syria did its normal anti-jewish stunt at the arab league summit.

'they feel outside powers shouldnt take sides...'
*more like they cant stand the usa supporting israel, if the boot was on the other foot they would be delighted if the usa supported the palestinians.....

*and europe takes their side(except uk), the eu countries arepro-palestinian in their leanings.

*arafats very quick to call for international intervention.

*and do you think that israel wouldnt use nukes if provoked if it werent for the usa and the uk and russia?
if the usa withdrew support the arabs wouldnt have any hesitation of attacking israel through syria-
*(eygpt and jordan have more common sense and have peace treaties with israel, funny that that some arab states have the sense to make peace, wonder why they dont want the destruction of israel, could it be because they realise arafat doesnt want peace???)
-thereby creating a response

*what about the gulf war, iraq attacks israel and israel shows restraint due to usa pressure, do you think israel would have just sat there if it werent for the usa, do you think israel woulldnt have sent rockets back?

*do you call the un interferring as well?

*the creation of israel is causing the problem because the arabs and the palestinians rejected the idea of their own state.....

*however you and every other anti-israeli will never admit to the fact that its the palestinians own fault.
they were offered a state and they blew it....
correction their undemocatic leader listern to the evil terrorists, thought he knew best and consigned his people to worry and war.Thanks heavens for the israeli army who wont delibratly kill civilains, mind you this is a war now they would be in the rights, but they wont partly because they dont want to kill civilains and partly do to usa pressure.

roguetrader

Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:28 am

however you and every other anti-israeli will never admit to the fact that its the palestinians own fault.
they were offered a state and they blew it...

So, next week when the US invades southern England, or wherever you live, and sets up a nation and populates it with people that neither you nor the US want or even like, you will accept whatever new boundary lines we draw up and be happy with living in whatever random place we decide you can live? Right? And if you say 'no' or resist, all the conflicts that result will be your fault, correct?

kind regards,

RogueTrader

vafi88

Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:07 pm

It's about time! Sharon held his guts in for long enough, it's time to spill.

MONARCH

Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:52 am

Many countries have declared war on terrorism, but have done little to support their declaration.

All those that have declared war on terrorism must take action like the USA; UK and Canada in wipping out the 'axis of evil'.

It's time for the west to see sense; pull together; support each other and bloody well eradicate terrorism.

Regards

Monarch  Smile

Klaus

Vafi88

Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:05 am

Vafi88: It's about time! Sharon held his guts in for long enough, it's time to spill.

That image just about sums up all this bloody mess...

Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:35 pm

So, next week when the US invades southern England, or wherever you live, and sets up a nation and populates it with people that neither you nor the US want or even like, you will accept whatever new boundary lines we draw up and be happy with living in whatever random place we decide you can live? Right? And if you say 'no' or resist, all the conflicts that result will be your fault, correct?

Oh come on! You know the differences in the situation don't you? Come on, your pulling our leg, comparing apples to oranges. I thought you were one of the smarter ones. Damn.