Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SAA747
Topic Author

Do You Love Camping And The Outdoors?

Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:40 am

Hi everybody ! I live in Durban on the east coast of South Africa. Since childhood, I was always very fond of nature and the mountains and it is still very part of my life. Whenever I get the chance, I go camping with my family, just to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. My favorite holiday/ camping destination is the Drakensberg mountains (Dragon mountains) on the border of the Kingdom of Lesotho and South Africa, because of the breathtaking scenery.
It is also called the Little Switzerland of South Africa.In winter the mountains are covered with snow. Hope you enjoy my photo's ! If you have any nice holiday pics of your favorite holiday destination, please feel free to share it with us !

View of the "Amphitheatre", as seen from the Hlalanathi Resort.

View of the "Eastern Buttress".

"The Cascades" waterfall.

The Cascades.

This antelope was walking around in the Mahai campsite and was so tame, I managed to get quite close to it to take this photo.

Our tents !

Caravans and tents in the Hlalanathi Resort. Hlalanathi is a Zulu word which means "Come stay with us".

Self-catering chalets.

I got up very early to get this shot !

View of the "Sentinal" on the right hand side - the highest mountain peak in South Africa.

The Mahai camp site in the Royal Natal National Park.

Sunset. The smell of barbecues started to fill the air....

Entrance to The Royal National Park. Here you can buy beautiful African arts and crafts.

One of the cosy chalets in the Hlalanathi Resort.

Mahai camp, situated next to a river.

Sunair

RE: Do You Love Camping And The Outdoors?

Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:14 am

Hi SAA747!

Yep the Drakensberg sure is pretty! I've often stayed down at Mont-Aux-Sources, which has a great view of the Amphitheatre. The Royal Natal National Park has to be one of the best parks around...there are toooo many beautiful spots in and around it.

I must say though I'm not too much into the camping business. I do however often go on camps where we focus on team building through doing activities such as white water river rafting, hiking (and I mean, HIKING), canoeing, going around obstacle courses, playing Stalk the Lantern, and loads of other stuff, which really are challenging, but fun at the same time.

Great photos by the way!

Starship

Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:28 am

It seems as though this is turning into a purely South African thread! Maybe our weather is more conducive to camping and the outdoors!?

From an early age I have been accustomed to life in the outdoors and worship the sun. As for camping, I enjoy a weekend, or more, away in the bush. One of the more popular places where I like to spend time away is in the Cedarberg nature reserve about 250km north of Cape Town.

I have been there many times over the past 18 years and have introduced many new visitors to the area. Unfortunately rising costs, especially fuel, are curbing my weekends away drastically and I have stopped trying to arrange group weekends , as people are very eager to say yes, they would like to go, but then they are just as quick to let you down at the eleventh hour and find an excuse not to go, even after arrangements have been finalized.

There are numerous hikes one can go on in the Cedarberg mountain range, some relatively easy and others quite strenuous and lasting the entire day, or even two or more days. These are definately only for the fit and your hiking boots need to be comfortable and worn in before embarking on a cross-country trek. In the heat of the summer your feet can suffer terribly and rugged imported hiking boots are not necessarily the right thing to wear in a South African summer.

I have most of the camping gear required for these events, but what I no longer have, is the ideal hiking buddy. Marriage seems to now keep most of them at home Sad and the rest never seem to have any money and I regret that I am no longer in a position to sponsor other people's weekends away.

Right now the only person on whom I can rely for a camping weekend is my own brother. His wife is quite happy for him to go and she mostly stays home. At one stage I thought of taking my office staff away for a weekend's camping on a team building exercise, but I was retrenched before that materialised.

Behind every "no" is a "yes"

vaporlock

I

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:06 am

Wow...what amazing pics. Wow! What I wouldn't do to be able to spend a couple of weeks in the beautiful surroundings (places) that you have shown us in your pics.

I love the outdoors, camping, fishing, following nature trails, having a great fire and just plain roughing it! Nothing finer than climbing into your sleeping bag with another warm body beside you at the end of an amazing day!!!  Acting devilish So many people never take the time to enjoy the things in life that surround us and are free - the sky, trees and little creatures.

My boyfriend and I camp and fish every summer. One of our favorite places in Ontario (Canada) is Algonquin Park. I was born in Chapleau Ontario (Northern Ontario) so I love the outdoors.

Phyllis  Big thumbs up

gr325

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:29 am

I totaly agree with Vaporlock. Algonquin Park is one of the best places I have ever camped. I have beenquite a few times in CA now and I just love the country. Goo dthing I have family back in Ontario.

I do a lot of camping here in holland to. On of the main things I lvoe camping is because I am in the scouts too. For about 11 years now. We do a bit of hiking every year and go camping arround summer holiday's.

I just love it

Laugh out loudD
"You should have gone to specsavers"

blink182

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:46 am

Backpacking is cool. This summer I am going on a 2 week trip in the Bitteroot Mtns, we will hike, rock climb, and white water kayak.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

747-600X

Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:59 am

I'm drooling, having seen those photos. I absolutely LOVE camping and nature and climbing and hiking and all that sort of thing. I can't really do half as much of it as I would like, but I would give next to anything to be in a place like that of your photos. WOW!!!

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:08 am

Blink...

Are you doing that with a group? I go on summer adventure trips with a company and that sounds like one of their itineraries...the company is "the road less traveled"...

Anyway, I love the outdoors but dont get enough of it here in suburban Philly...so over the summer I go to various places with groups and do adventurism activities...

Summer 2000: 43 days in CO, UT, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY
5 days hiking in South San Juan Wilderness, Colorado (reached personal highest elevation of 12,100 feet on this hike)
1 day rock climbing in one of the Cottonwood Canyons outside SLC
6 days hiking in Italian Peaks in southwestern Montana
Attempted climb of Mount Rainier (I reached 11,100 feet)
3 days beach hiking in Olympic National Park
4 days rafting Salmon and Snake Rivers, Idaho, Oregon and Washington
2 days rock climbing Grand Teton National Pak

Summer 2001: 28 days in Queensland, Australia
4 days hiking in Woonoorooran National Park
3 days beach hiking near Cape Grafton
6 days hiking and searching for ancient rock art in Lakefield National Park
3 days kayaking Barnard Islands
3 days snorkeling Great Barrirer Reef
2 days rafting N. Johnstone River (incl. chopper flight  Smile )

Summer 2002
Exact itin unavailable...spending 3 weeks in Costa Rica, including climb of their highest peak, Cerro Chirripo, which is 12,530 feet high, then 3 weeks in CO, UT, AZ, and NM doing more hiking, rafting, kayaking, and rock climbing....

I love the mountains/outdoors but sadly there are not enough of them around here...I plan on going to college out west so that I can be around them, and if possible I'd like to live out west as well for this reason...

Greg

Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

kolobokman

Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:02 pm

I go camping with my family, just to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

I go camping with my friends, just to get away from my parents.

It is not about the scenery when I and my friends are in the woods, it is about the survival.
I bet it is odd to see three guys with huge backpacks running around the woods, stopping for a short 5min brake every 15 min. And we don't walk, we always run.

This year is different! I'm going to the USA (Washington state or Yellowstone) to search for the bigfoot!
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

roguetrader

Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:46 pm

I'm going to the USA (Washington state or Yellowstone) to search for the bigfoot!

Kolobokman, please buy or rent a high quality video camera for this trip so when you find the bigfoot, there will be no controversy about it. I think one of my ex-girlfriends was the bigfoot - I could look up her telephone number and you could just go visit her. I think she lives in a cave somewhere.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

vaporlock

Starship

Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:22 pm

Just a quick note...love your choice of fav aircraft...mine just happens to be the Piaggio Avanti (P180). I live and work near a very small airport just outside Toronto (ON) it is called Buttonville. Every day I have the pleasure of watching my fav aircraft come and go....gotta love those pushers!!!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © John Kelley

Phyllis  Smile