Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Belief In God....

Thu May 02, 2002 2:40 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else here think the belief in god is utterly insane.

The belief in God once had a purpose in society. It instilled order and was the "answer" to things/events that couldnt otherwise be explained.

But now? Now you'd have to be a nut.

I wont even hit on organised religion because that would be a waste of my time.

I was completrly and utterly amazed when I had heard a catholic proiest had fondled a little girl....

I thought priests just fondled genitals of little boys.

JET

Marco

RE: Belief In God....

Thu May 02, 2002 3:01 pm

I still believe in God and I have great faith in Jesus Christ.

JETPILOT you have presented a very weak and immature argument to explain your point of view. In Christianity it is wrong to seually molest someone. Get your facts straight before posting something as pathetic as you have done!

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2002 3:08 pm

My facts about organized religion are right on.....

The Catholic church is a business.

It is the largest land owner in the world.

It is partly responsible for the aids devestation in Africa through its missions and the belief it is wrong to use condoms.

Weak and imature is acceptable. I can't be perfect.

For what exactly do you have faith Jesus Christ will deliver to you?

JET

cfalk

Thu May 02, 2002 3:23 pm

You are obviously not of the age group you claim in your profile - you are more like 14. What gets you off? Insulting the fundemental beliefs of a majority of the world's population. Criticism and arguements are fine, but insults are uncalled for.

I've asked for this thread and you to be deleted.

Charles

Marco

Thu May 02, 2002 3:25 pm

The Catholic church is a business.

It is the largest land owner in the world.

So what? Does that mean they're wrong?

It is partly responsible for the aids devestation in Africa through its missions and the belief it is wrong to use condoms

AIDS was spreading through contaminated needles everywhere. This was happeneing before people knew about the virus. It's very ignorant to blame the missionaries for spreading AIDS.

About the condoms, well the Catholic Church has a lot of traditions that are JUST traditions. Christians do not believe it is wrong to use a condom.

For what exactly do you have faith Jesus Christ will deliver to you?

Very obscure question, I don't get what you're trying to say but anyways:

Let me explain to you what Jesus Christ has done for me:

We are all born sinners. God does not view us as Christians and non-Christians.

God sent His son so he could die on the cross for our sins, for blood needs to be shed to cover our sins. Jesus gave His blood.

All he asks of us is to have faith in Him and to keep His word. I am a person just like you are, I do a lot of normal things and being a Christian doesn't mean you have to be a solitary loser.

Christ gives me peace, comfort and love when I need Him. He set down rules, most of which are still followed today. He loves everyone of us. He HAS given everyone of freedom of choice, He is a democratic God!

Regards

Marco

Thu May 02, 2002 3:27 pm

The sentence that was VERY immature was I thought priests just fondled genitals of little boys. how on earth can you judge millions of priests and Catholics by saying that?

apathoid

Thu May 02, 2002 3:41 pm

Jet - those of us who do believe in God also know that you will believe one day also...death comes to us all...

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2002 4:03 pm

How can you believe such craziness.......

The missionaries spread AIDS by spreading the word of the Pope that birth control isn't acceptable.....FACT

I havent insulted anybody.... Your insulted by the fact that priests fondle little boys. If I were catholic I would want to crawl in a hole.

Would me believing in the tooth fairy be any different than your belief in god?

It the standard discusion group thing to do that if someone says something that isnt agreeable to someone that someone...

A) Attempts to character assasinate the person posting
B) Tells them they are stupid
C) Post, ever so eliquently, how you act ten years your younger
D) the person replying to the post tries to show his maintained composure in his response and then goes on to tell the poster how stupid he is

What a joke.....

Back to the original question....

How can someone in todays day believe in god?? I'm at a loss.

If you can't explain your opinions then your just along for the ride and never thought about the existance of god.

So if you have some lucid well though out reasons please explain.

JET

FLY 8

Thu May 02, 2002 4:11 pm

I have to agree with JETPILOT!

I can have a religion.

I can believe in a higher "power"

BUT I need NOT believe in the organisation church.

The christian church has killed more people the Hitler Stalin together. And this is a FACT. Thousands of people died in the name of the church.

I just signed off from the church a few months ago!

I don´t want to support this organisation.

mls515

Thu May 02, 2002 4:15 pm

There are a lot of valid criticisms of organized religion, but since that's not the topic I won't go in to any of that business. It would take a lot more than a Catholic Priest molesting children to stop believing in God, which seems to be the reason you cited for not believing.

Personally, I believe the world is too amazing to just be a random occurance. And in my life, there have been many times where I've "asked" and "recieved" from the Man upstairs.

For example, last winter at work I was driving the bus for the first time in a snowstorm. I prayed to God while on route and asked that if I were to have any sort of learning experience, that He would let it be such that I would not hurt anyone or anyone's property. Sure enough, less than 20 minutes later, I came upon a car stopped waiting to turn. Normally, I pop the bus up over the curb and drive on the grass (Grand Theft Auto III-inspired driving  Big thumbs up ) a little to get around so me and my passengers can be on our way. Since it was so slick out that day, my bus instead bounced off the curb and slid back in the direction of the stopped car. Inches. And there are many more little stories like these that, to me, make it highly improbable that God does not exist.

It troubles me that yourself, as an airline pilot with one of the best views of the amazing earth we get to live on, doesn't believe in a devine creator.

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2002 4:23 pm

Why is it more difficult to believe in a random occurance than to believe in god?

Again..... what society doesn't have an answer for we look to god.

What about all the starving people in this world that pray everyday to the good lord to relieve their suffering and to save there children from starvation..... Where was god for those people.

I never a day in life believed in god, and I am more fortunate than 99% of the people living on this earth.

It troubles me that while flyin 33,000 ft above the earth the guy next to me belives in sky daddy.

If you want to talk about random occurances all you have to do is look at a craps table. Life's a game of averages. No divine intervention.... just a roll of the dice.

JET

QANTASforever

Thu May 02, 2002 4:41 pm

May I recomend that we tone it all down a bit otherwise this will be deleted.

I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANY CHRISTIANS WITH THE FOLLOWING.

I understand and respect the faith that people around the world have for God and the church. For me it has no relevance hence my atheism. I tend to think that religion is more of a frame of mind rather than something you do every sunday/saturday/Friday, it really lies within you and its purpose is the positive effects that the ideals in the bible/koran/other have on you. If we can all be a little nicer to each other through any means of religion or otherwise I believe that that religion has done some real good on this earth.

Just my thoughts.

QANTASforever

JETPILOT
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2002 4:46 pm

As an atheist how can you understand someone elses belief in god?

JET

mls515

Thu May 02, 2002 4:50 pm

I'm glad it makes you uncomfortable. Gives you something to think about.

mls515

Thu May 02, 2002 4:56 pm

.......meaning you'll never be able to stop thinking about the very Thing you hope to dismiss. The case will always be open so to speak. It will trouble you until you die.

L-188

Thu May 02, 2002 5:10 pm

Did you ever see the move Ghostbusters.....

"Ray, if somebody asks, if your a god you say YES!!!"

airlinelover

Thu May 02, 2002 5:19 pm

Ok guys.. It seems this post is getting a lot of bad attention.. I am archiving it, before it can be turned into a fully blown war.. (Which I see starting already..)

Chris

Thu May 02, 2002 5:30 pm

Smile/happy/getting dizzy wow ..

I love discussions like this.

There is an organisation in this world that has a history of child abuse, of murder, of pillage, of destroying familys, of genoiced.

It's called "the Catholic religion".

In Australia, the Catholic church was responsible for one of the largest horrors ever witnessed here. 10% of all Aboriginal children were removed from their "heathen" parents and placed in orphanages where they were used as slave labour, beaten and starved. All in the name of "catholisism".

Indeed, not a week goes by without some Catholic priest or other being in the news for child abuse, paedophilia or some other heinous crime.

It's not the religion that causes the problem, it's the people who gravitate to this business.

I too believe that you have to be very naive to believe in the existance of god, however unlike the original poster I believe in your right to believe what you like. Indeed, that's my major gripe about the catholic religion, they believe that not only do they have the right to believe what they like, they have the right to force that belief onto you.

Charles: your response was a bit harsh. You have a right to ask for a thread to be deleted but since when do you become the moral voice of the forum?

Marco: Aids was NOT spread in Africa by dirty needles. Indeed, dirty needles isn't the biggest spreader of AIDS at all, it's men who can't keep it in their pants, so therefore the comment about condoms is accurate as well. It's morally irresponsible to teach against using contraception, particularly in areas of high poverty.

Again you are wrong, Catholic church representatives spend a lot of time trying to make contraception and abortion illegal. They do not believe in the right for people to make their own decisions, and they don't take into account circumstance. They see these issues as black/white, a very irresponsible attitude indeed.

I don't believe in your god or any of the things you claim he has done, however I respect your right to believe in that and i'm glad he gives you peace.

As for his comments on priests, he was being immature but a large proportion of Catholic priests are being unmasked as paedophiles. More than we should be seeing and the really sad part about that is that the church are protecting them! It makes me very angry.

Apathoid: all of us who don't believe in god are going to be laughing one day .. because death comes to us all. On a more serious note, I respect your right to your belief, kindly respect my right to my belief.

As for religion, we have jews bailing up Muslims in a Christian Church in Palestine. Seems to me that's reason enough not to support organised religion

VH-ADG

aa61hvy

Fri May 03, 2002 6:00 am

if you say there is no god, you better be right. other wise you are F*cked!