Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SJCguy
Topic Author

Mustangs And Heater Cores...wtf?

Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:57 am

I have a 1997 Mustang GT. I have had the car for 2 years, bought it used. My heater core has gone out 5 times. 5 times.

Tonight was the 5th. I got into my car, smelled the antifreeze and knew right then and there what it was. I cannot believe this has happened...again.

Every other time it has happened, I have brought it back to the dealership at which I bought the car, and they have fixed it free under warranty. Well, the 4th time, they decided they didn't want to fix it and wanted to charge me almost $5,000, even though the "current" heater core had under 12,000 miles and it was under 12 months since the last occurance. I then brought it over to a different Ford dealership, with my mouth shut, and told them I had a heatercore that went out....they fixed it free no problem. He told me that my other dealership, which replaced it the first 3 times, must have had a bad batch of heater cores, and they were defective. The one he just put in was fine, plus I was at another dealership. So basically, if this one fails, something is seriously wrong with the car.

So tonight, it has happened again. Has this problem ever happened to other Mustang owners? The car is going bye bye, I can't take this crap anymore! Ford, you suck!  Big thumbs up

SJCguy

portcolumbus

RE: Mustangs And Heater Cores...wtf?

Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:59 pm

5 grand for a heater core? Mine blew on my '91 S-10 and it was only $300.

IMissPiedmont

Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:34 pm

$300.00 for a heater core? They cost about $60.00 and take about 15 minutes to install.

SJCguy welcome to the wonderful world of Ford. The heater cores are notorious for leaking. I gave up on mine 4 years ago, bypassed the thing and got an extra jacket for the bitter cold we have in the winter. I think it got down to 23 one day last winter.

Seriously though, go to the dealer and buy a heater core, i doubt that they are available aftermarket for your car, then go to the library and photocopy the R&R page for it. If you have a 1/4 inch drive socket set, a phillips head and a small amount of mechanical ability, you will be able to do the job in less than an hour.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

174thfwff

Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:54 pm

I smell a lemon. Check out your states Lemon Laws....You might be entitles to a brand new car!

-174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

flight152

Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:57 pm

174thfwff

Are the lemon laws still valid for used cars?

apathoid

Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:01 pm

Either someone here is really stupid...or a big fat liar.

No way it cost $5000 to change a heater core. They don't cost anymore than $50, less than an hour of your time and a couple of gallons of anti freeze. Next time you have a flat, give me a call. I only charge $1000 to change a tire.

SJCguy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:10 pm

The $5,000 was not just for the heater core, but basically for everything he wanted to do to bring my fluids and everything back to par, and a ton of other crap that he said needed to be taken care of, which "contributed" to the heater core failure, including the installation of a heater core. The dash board has to be taken out, it's not a do it yourself in the garage job bro's....

SJCguy

174thfwff

Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:16 pm

Hmm, I don't know if used cars fall under the lemon laws. I doubt it, however I would peruse it further if the same component in your car has failed numerous times in the past year or two.

-174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

apathoid

Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:18 pm

I have owned several mustangs of different vintages and have never had much difficulty changing heater cores. Don't make excuses for you not knowing you were getting ripped off. I only charge $1500 to change headlights, by the way.

TWAL1011

Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:26 am

Mustangs have heater cores that are made from an extremely expensive polymer that is susceptible to corrosion from engine coolant. Ford did this because they knew the would go out all the time and cost the owner $5,000 to change. It's a brilliant profit motive by Ford.

VonRichtofen

Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:48 am

I wonder how long till some euro weenie comes in this thread and says:

"That's what you get for buying an American car"

777236ER

Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:52 am

That's what you get for buying an American car. When WILL you learn?
Your bone's got a little machine

TWAL1011

Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:33 am

LOL, about 38 seconds, VonRichtofen.  Smile

IMissPiedmont

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:06 pm

Oh Lord help me. I changed a heater core in a 1998 mustang for a buddy last winter. It took me 30 minutes. He paid, I believe, less than $100.00 for the new core at the dealership. The only thing you take out is the glove box and the panel underneath. What other fluids and "everything" were thay talking about? I'd change the core for $500.00 and replace every fluid and filter and fuse and bushing and zerk fitting in your car for another $1000.00. Wait a bit, you have no zerks. Lop $273.27 off that price.

The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

apathoid

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:20 pm

Is the giant "Sucker" tatoo on your forehead removable? Educate yourself about automobile maintenance so you don't get raped like this again. Wow....if it wasn't so sad I would be laughing...wait, I am laughing.

SEA nw DC10

Oh Please!

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:28 pm

Hey IMissPiedmont and Apathoid, how about taking the stick out of your a** and start posting some posts in which you actually know what the heck you guys are talking about. You guys obviously have NO car knowledge whatsoever, and it proves right here.

Mustangs have had heater core problems for years. Replacing a heatercore is NOT a do it yourself job. It involves breaking down much of the dashboard to gain access to the firewall among other things. It is a big process which must be done professionally.

SJCguy, 5 times is pretty extreme, and you may have a bigger problem with your car which your dealership will have to deal with. However, when dropping your car off at your dealership, make sure the service department isn't run by the two above nimrods...

Good luck SJCguy -SEA nw DC10