Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcs17
Topic Author

Quit Bringing Age To The Picture

Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:18 am

Quite often I see remarks like "Dont you have school tommorrow" or something to that effect, when someone disagrees with someone younger then them; usually in 13-15 or 16-20 age group. The way I see it is shouldnt we at least let people have their beliefs, whether you agree with them or not, and not question the validity of the post because of their age?

Unlike some of the hockey discussion groups I belong to on AOL, everyone here has a very good grasp of what is being discussed, and for the most part is not just flaming. Everyone here seems pretty intelligent. I definitely dont agree with some of others views on this board, but at least have the decency not to criticize another person based on age. Criticize their arguements instead, going after a persons age seems to make your arguements seem a lot less intelligent. Thanks  Smile
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

We're Nuts

RE: Quit Bringing Age To The Picture

Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:37 am

Well believe it or not, age is a factor in maturity.
Dear moderators: No.

VirginLover

Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:29 am

>Well believe it or not, age is a factor in maturity.

While there's major differences between maturity in a 4 year old and a 16 year old, a mature 16 year old can act just as mature or more than say, a 25 year old. So you can't really make generalizations like that.

On the other hand, I was delighted when I went bowling with my boyfriend Friday night and the lady appolgized for having to put my boyfriend and I next to lane of kids (7th graders) I felt so honored.  Smile

roguetrader

Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:50 am

Jcs17,

One reason why age is included in the profile is, I presume, so that the rest of us can judge the value of one's opinions. I hate to break this to you: but the opinions of those in school are generally held in less esteem than those of working adults. Your experience and education are probably the two major factors that influence one's point of view - having a shortage of both means the point of view is untested and based only on school experiences, which is 1000 times different than the experiences of the world.

In many cases it is especially obvious when youthful characteristics make their appearance in some posts by the younger group - because it makes the post especially ridiculous. Speaking as if they are experts on anything, speaking as if they understand how the non-scholastic world works, and arguing with professionals twice or more their age are some primary examples that deserve exactly the kind of condescending rebukes you mention above. Finally, let me say that younger writers here actually get a lot of breaks - many like myself refrain from embarrassing or contradicting a younger member just out of respect for their age. On the other hand, people sometimes do dismiss arguments they don't like by resorting to an insult based on age.

I fully enjoy having everyone on the board from all countries, ages, backgrounds, etc... We all get respect and criticism based on what we say, who we are, and a lot of other factors. You don't like people rejecting your opinion because you're young - welcome to the way of the world. Its just a situation we all have to overcome and its worth overcoming; learn to get on with it and learn to state your views such that the age references don't occur.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

KROC

Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:02 am

Jcs. RogueTrader pretty much hit it right on the head. Mostly experience comes with age. Not for nothing, but someone 13-15 talking about something is usually allot different than a 26-35 or a 36-45 age frame.