Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EGGD
Topic Author

To All Americans.

Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:02 am

Hi guys,

I've just watched the film made by the two French filmmakers. Now, I'd like to Apologize for anything bad I've said about Americans and America on this board. Its so easy to forget, in fact I wanted to forget. I should have remembered, today I watched that film and I DID remember. I saw just what a community those firemen were, and just how many amazing people were lost that day.

It is a tragedy for the world, not just the families, not just Americans, this was something that affected the world, we all saw the horrific pictures, we read the stories, I felt closer to everyone that day, and I can see just how incredible America is, and how the people can pull together in such a way that no other country can. Such power from each individual, it was like the whole of the USA, if not much of the world became brothers.

This is a day to remember, not to forget, we must remember those who died, especially those who went to help, not knowing that helping so many would seal their fates. The people who spent their last hour on this earth trying desperately to contact their family and tell them that they loved them.

It makes you wonder why, that the hero should die, in this situation so many tried so hard to save the lives of people they have never met, and in being so brave, and so fearless they must lose their lives in vain.

I hope that everybody learnt a lesson out of this, that was positive and gave you a better outlook on life. I hope that America and her allies can keep this from EVER happen again. I hope that nobody lives to see another attack as terrifying and horrific as what we witnessed one year ago. I hope that the lives of those who died will be remembered just as vividly 50 years from now. I hope that I never forget the lesson I learned that day.

Thankyou.

Daniel.

RE: To All Americans.

Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:14 am

Well said, EGGD.  Smile Fortunately, for every Goodbye in the world, there are thousands of people like you.

flight152

Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:36 am

Thank you Dan. I hope others will take note.

dragogoalie

Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:49 am

If I had a glass, I'd raise it to EGGD, but instead, all I can raise is my empty orange juice bottle  Wink/being sarcastic. Well said.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

redngold

Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:57 am

Thank you, Daniel.

And we also owe a debt of gratitude to the French filmmakers who had the courage and commitment to follow the firefighters through that day. What a great, even if distressing, document of what really happened that day.

Cheers,
redngold
Up, up and away!

kaitakfan

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:10 am

Thank you Daniel! As an American I can say all the extra kind comments from people around the world make this day easier on us all! Does anyone here know if this document will be shown in the USA which Daniel had seen? I know they showed it in American on March 11th. I was in Sydney then and never had a chance to view the program. Thanks again for the kind words!

Cheers!
Brian

KROC

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:16 am

Dan excellent post! And lets not forget, that all kinds of nationalities of people helped out on Sep. 11th. It's sad that it takes a horrific tragedy to bring people together the way they did on Sep. 11th, but hopefully we will not forget, and continue to act as one. That is the only way ignorance of the likes provided by people like Goodbye will ever be shut down.

777236ER

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:22 am

The programme was pretty good. It started off cornily, especially with Robert di Nero (*sigh*) but then became VERY good. There were SO many times during the film that I thought "this is a movie", but then realise that it wasn't. People actually WERE dying. These firefighters actually WERE going up to their deaths. These were real people. And it hit me like a sack of cement, which is unusual.

About the only thing the French are good for  Big thumbs up
Your bone's got a little machine

kaitakfan

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:22 am

I answered my own question. the Documentary will be shown on CBS, at 9PM/ET/PT for those interested.

Cyril B

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:24 am

Like said EGGD, its easy to forget, when you don't want to remember horror. But we mustn't forget, and we must remember that nothing can justify so much horror, so much pain, so much tears.
Its a real heart-break to see all the families who lost their loved ones, all these children who lost a father, a mother.

We can criticize the US for their foreign policy, but when the ideals of the western world are in question and when thousands of innocent people are blindly killed in terrible conditions, we must have the courage to stand by the victims, and to defend them.

Scotty

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:42 am

It was amazing, scary, sad, but with a dash of happy thrown in.

No matter what everyone agrees or disagrees about, today is a day when we are ALL Americans.

Scotty

Krushny

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:58 am

I just watched tonight the documentary of the two French brothers, and all the sensations of one year ago came back:
I felt sick. Thinking in the brutality of the plane crashes, the thousands of deaths, the suicide craziness and evil of the terrorists made me physically sick. And also the horror and fascination on the vision of the two towers on fire and falling down. I could not do any meaningful work in a day or two and slept very few hours.
I also felt sorry for the USA, a country I have visited and loved very much, and to which I have a lot of relations, business and personal. One thing that amazed me of the USA was how people from very different origins could live and prosper together there, and also how far it seemed from all the little conflicts of the world, and how different were the rules there.
And then this savage and irrational attack. A someone who comes from a country which has suffered terrorism for a long time, I felt like saying to all of you: "I understand how you feel and I think that now you can understand us better. I am very sad to wellcome you to the same shit..." You are now on the same road that many other countries have travelled before and I hope you can make the right decisions and not renounce to your values. But regretably a big part of your innocence is already lost; I would say that your nation has grown much older in the last year.

As for me, I will pray tonight for all the victims of 9/11, as well as the terror victims we have had here in the last year, and also that the efforts of thr terrorist actions are in the end useless.

USAFHummer

Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:59 am

Well said Dan...thanks...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

roguetrader

Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:06 am

EGGD,

Thanks for the great post and thanks for being a friend of America.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

tbar220

Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:46 am

Thanks Dan  Smile
NO URLS in signature

radarbeam

Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:38 am

I'll be the first to admit that it's easy to forget the past. Today is the first anniversary of this tragedy and I forgot how much sadness, tears, fears, heroes were involved on that day, but when you see all that all over again, when you hear people calling their loved ones from the tower telling their husbands, wife's, fathers and mothers they love them so much and they don't know if they will get out alive you feel overwhelmed by sadness. Americans have shown a lot of courage on September 11 and I salute them for this. God bless America.

Radarbeam

N766UA

Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:52 am

It's really great to see someone actually say something nice about the US. All I see on here anymore is comments about how rotten the US is and how everyone hates us. It's really depressing. This really helped my day though. Thanks alot, man. We all appriciate it.

mirrodie

Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:58 am

Dan excellent post!

I just checked you post. I an ecstatic to know that there are a few of you Generation "Y"ers out there that are and will continue to make a positive effect on our world.

You can be my wingman anytime.  Wink/being sarcastic
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

ren41

Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:04 am

Thanks Dan!

R41

TWAL1011

Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:17 pm

Thanks, Dan. Very much appreciated.

EGGD
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:45 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, but I really only wanted to be forgiven. I have badmouthed Americans and America as much as anyone over the past year, I forgot how I felt, and how close I felt to people that day, and so I just wanted to say I was sorry for acting like such an ass.

Yesterday was awesome, the way people just came together, amazing. My only critism is George Bush who almost used the day as if it were propaganda with his speech. He could have just mourned like the rest of us  Sad.

GDB

Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:56 am

There have been many Sept 11th programmes over here this past week, I've tried to catch the best ones.
9/11 is an outstanding film-horrific but restrained, (the Brothers would not film people burning or the people who jumped from the WTC, hearing the noise their bodies made when they reached the ground was bad enough). The raw courage of the firemen shone through.

Also last week on Channel 4 Rudi Giuliani narrated an outstanding record of that terrible day (ex-Mayor Koch is wrong to say 'the Brits were mad to knight him', so what if he was controversial? Churchill was deeply unpopular before WW2, but when it was so needed, Rudi had 'Bulldog Sprit' like Churchill-and that was recognized).

Clearing The Skies on BBC2 took you to the heart of ATC, AF1 and the USAF, as they suddenly found themselves in an unthinkable event.

Surprisingly, ITV did a fine film on UA93, made with the help of the relatives of the lost pax and crew, the restrained reconstructions that divided the relatives stories was based on those agonizing, heartbreaking but brave phone calls from the aircraft.

And of course the sad but dignified ceremonies yesterday at Ground Zero, Shanksville and the Pentagon.

go canada!

Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:03 am

i didnt see 9/11 on bbc because i was at football, i did watch channels fours documentary with rudi in it and the news coverage yesterday, and i say this to all americans, the people of britain know what terrorism is like and we are with you.

no doubt im going to be attacked as being sentimental but i can honestly say that we do back you and despite some spinning the british people back un action against iraq(75% in favour according to latest sky news poll-cant post a link as the polls not finished yet, two last polls by aol.co.uk and sky news found a majoirty on favour of fighting saddam) and we will eb with you every step of the way in this war on terror.

for every moaning minny in the uk, theres millions of us who arent like that.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

STT757

Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:33 am

I wish every one could watch the 9-11 documentary the two French brothers made, it was so powerfull.

The brotherhood of the firefighters to which Jules and his brother were accepted into is strong and very real, the courage and fear were real.

The looks on the faces of people on the street ,of all races , religions , rich and poor stood out, they were United in dis-belief and horor.

The fact that the brothers worked with a firehouse so close to the WTC, and the fact that one of the brothers took photoage of the first plane hitting the tower was as if they were destined to be there and document for the world what happened.

Seeing Father Micheal Judge FDNY Chaplain pacing around the lobby of the WTC praying was very moving, knowing he would die and be the first "Official" fatality of the WTC attack was also devine intervention. He went to Heaven to welcome the other firfighters and civilians killed that day.

Hearing the terrible sounds from the jumpers, hearing the roar of the tower's collapse was very powerfull, and again I think it was a destiny that the two brothers were there to document so much.

Thanks EGGD for letting me know folks around the world watched this documentary, I encourange anyone who has not seen it to watch.

You can voice your greivances against the US Government (I have mine too), but I don't see how anyone can question the heart of the American people.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

clipperhawaii

Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:42 am

This was a tragedy for the world not just the United States. We humans in our humanity often forget that.

Thanks,
ClipperHawaii
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

L-188

Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:43 pm

I have to agree with STT757.

That film by the brothers was one of the finest documentaries out there.

I was really worried when it first came out that it was going to be pretty hammy but it was far from that.

I wish they had reshown it on one of the channels.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gkirk

Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:45 pm

I also watched it and now have a better understanding of how brave the NYFD were. Watching it made me remember what I was doing on 9/11/01. It was a great program.
God Bless USA.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

gaut

Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:16 pm

I've also seen this document, it was really really great.

The press coverage for this anniversary was IMHO excessive.
We don't have to forget this day BUT we seem to forget more easily when thousands people are executed ... in Africa (for example).

Gaut
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:04 am

Dan, I'm so glad you got to see it, it really was a great film. Those french guys were really brave to follow our heroric firefighters into the tower. It also reminded me how much I love New York.

NYPD officer to Jules while he is making his way back to the firehouse, while filming:

"Hey this aint fockin DiznyLand, na git atta here!"

EGGD
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:26 am

Rolex - did it surprise you that they didn't surrender?  Smile.

I thought it was an awesome film, I don't think it was distasteful (as some people have remarked), and is most definetely a tribute to those firemen who lost their lives that day.

VirginLover

Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:39 am

EGGD...thank you for your candid apology. It gives me hope that others will watch this and realize why America...and especially New Yorkers are still grieving. If you think it was hard to watch it on TV...think of the hundreds of thousands who were in the city that day and watched it as it happened in person. As it was mentioned before by someone else, I don't think our government is perfect in the slightest bit. Not even close! But it's hard to think of someone who would insult those still grieving.

GD727

Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:52 am

EGGD: Yes, I have seen you badmouth Americans in the past, but you are forgiven. As I am a very patriotic American, I am glad you have come to understand us. Thank you for underdtanding.

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:11 pm

Thank you Dan.  Big thumbs up

Criticism of a democracy like America is expected, even necesary. For those countries that hate us now-particularly the Arab states, I don't expect them to order their press to say nice things about America or Israel. They are entitled to their views on both, and both at times deserve criticism. But what they have never encouraged at all is for anyone to consistently present an alternative, positive view of America - even though they were sending their kids here to be educated. Anyone who did would be immediately branded a C.I.A. agent.

TNNH

Pilot1113

For Those Of You That Missed 9/11...

Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:41 am

You can buy a copy of the documentary on VHS or DVD here: http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=136273

- Neil Harrison

Braniff727

Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:08 am

EGGD,

I would also like to thank you.

STT757,

You have made a point clearer than anyone I have ever seen.

"You can voice your greivances against the US Government (I have mine too), but I don't see how anyone can question the heart of the American people."
Climbing