racko
Topic Author

Car Question: What Would You Buy?

Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:14 pm

I'm currently thinking about buying a new car in order to replace my '96 A3. I checked the local used-car dealers yesterday and today, and saw to offer which seem to fit my needs. I want comfortable car for driving mostly on the Autobahn, should do 200 comfortably, I don't really want a race car, rather a comfortable ride. Fuel consumption isn't important, as my company pays the gas. I'm going to drive the car for 5-6 years.

I'm thinking of either(Pictures are official photos, not exactly the cars I want):

8/2001 Mercedes Benz C240 Elegance, 19000 km
170HP, Bi-Xenon lights, brilliantsilver metallic, ESP, ASR, ABS, electric mirrors,
leather seats, 4 airbags & 4 sidebags, rain sensor, clima control, cruise control, manual gearbox
28000€

5/2001 BMW 325Ci, 26000 km
192HP, Xenon lights, black metallic, DSC, PDC, ABS, 2 airbags & 2 sidebags, lights-washer, M Sport Package, rain sensor, leather seats, climate control, manual gearbox
29000€

(yes I know the difference between red and black - didn't find a picture with a black car)

Both come with guarantee as they are sold through official BMW/Mercedes dealers. I might get the Mercedes a bit cheaper, but the BMW is already a good offer and I doubt I can negotiate with the dealer about the price.

Which of the 2 would you buy? Or would what would you suggest as an alternative ?

airsicknessbag

RE: Car Question: What Would You Buy?

Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:37 pm

The Merc looks like the sweeter deal to me (but I´m not that much of a car buyer, let alone a used car expert) - younger, less kilometres, cheaper; what were their respective list prices?

I dont own a car myself, but when I´m driving it´s usually a 2001 E240T. Like the one you consider, it has 170 hp, and I find this just perfect. Given the C is probably lighter than the E, you should get along just fine with 170 hp.

>>>Or would what would you suggest as an alternative ?

Go for an estate car. My family got their first 200T in 1982 (one of the very first ones), and we´ve been addicted ever since.

Not the A4. I test drove one a few weeks ago (thanks to Miles&More for 1000 Miles Big grin ) and I hated it. It looked cheap on the inside, and doing 200 was not fun, the car didn´t seem very stable.

Would going one step up be an alternative? 5er BMW and E-class are of course more expensive, but you´ll be fed up with them in less time than the 3er or C-class. If you´re going to spend close to 30000 EUR anyway, I´m sure one could find an E in that price range.

Daniel Smile

RayChuang

Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:39 pm

Interesting both models you mentioned are actually available in the USA.

If the cars have been certified in good condition by the manufacturer I'd probably go with the BMW--they're more fun to drive.

Mind you, if you want a reasonably roomy car that is fast and frugal on fuel get a new Volkswagen Bora with the new PD150 turbodiesel engine (if such a combination is available in Germany).

mika

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:23 pm

I would never go for no Volkswagen insted of a BMW or Benz. But then that's just me.

godbless

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:23 pm

This is my personal opinion but I'd go for the BMW.

RayChuang,
(if such a combination is available in Germany).
Well all these options come from Germany  Wink/being sarcastic I know that VW offers a greater variaty on their cars here in Germany than they do on exported cars. Well I too have to admit that they also export cars or better options that we can't get here but I doubt that these would concern speed or power...

Max

Skystar

Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:07 pm

If you are a more performance orientated driver, which seems to be the case, take the BMW.

You've chosen a 2dr, as opposed to 4dr 3 Series, so I figure in that case, you want a more performance orientated car. Take the BMW.

If you believe this, then you should get the BMW too.

Having said that, it does surprise me that a BMW is ranked higher than Mercedes in the quality stakes. Just remember who's No 1 from Europe though!  Smile

Cheers,

Justin

fspilot747

Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:46 am

Get the BMW. Much better car, far more fun than that excuse for a performance car (a.k.a. the C240)

mika

Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:01 am

The C class Benz isn't a performance car and neither does Mercedes Benz try to sell it as one. It's a family car. If you wan't a performance benz you'd buy a CLK 430 or CL500/600. Or a AMG version if you have the money.

Alessandro

Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:20 am

I would have bought a Citroën C5 diesel with 2,2 liter engine.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

racko
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:56 am

Airsicknessbag, I don't really think I need an estate car - if I have to carry something big, I can borrow the Opel Zafira of my parents, and usually I don't carry anything bigger than 2 water boxes in my car  Big grin About going for a 5er or an E-Class, well the cheapest 530i not older than 2 years I saw was priced 35000€, and that's more than I want to spent. E-Classes were cheaper(old model), but I don't really like the look of the old E-Class and somehow driving a car that's outdated in the second I buy it turns me down (I know, that's not rational, but emotions play a big role in buying cars, too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

RayChuang, you're right the BMW is probably more sportive, especially with the M sport package. What concerns me a bit, is how comfortable it feels to drive in the cars for some hours. I'll try to get the car on some bad roads during my test ride on monday.

Mika, I can perfectly understand you . Smile It somehow feels different to drive a Mercedes or a BMW than a Volkswagen. Actually, "Mercedes" and "BMW" already sound better than Volkswagen (people's wagon).

I doubt that I need an all-wheel-drive car. I'm not going to race in the alps, and I don't want to drive my car through the desert. I think the AWDs BMW & Mercedes are mainly an image-thing - they want to take away Audi's "quattro" advantage.

I considered the C5 for a short time, but the car doesn't grow on me. It somehow looks...fat, at least from the pictures I've seen. (Nobody drives a C5 here...well, actually nobody drives a newer Citroen here. I don't know why, but I can't remember seeing a Citroen in the last week. Don't know why nobody buys them why so many people buy Peugeots.)

N312RC

Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:26 am

I would buy a 1998 BMW 323iS

My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

desertjets

Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:05 am

Considering you are moving up from an A3, which is somewhat sporty, I'd go with the BMW. Plus I love the sound of that straight 6 engine.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

racko
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:44 am

OK, I had a test ride on both cars today.

Basically, both cars are great. I liked both of them. The Mercedes offers a smoother ride, you feel a bit like hovering over the streets. However, it feels a bit too smooth sometimes (In German I'd say "gemütlich", maybe someone knows the appropriable translation). The BMW is way more sporty, it sounds more agressive (and a bit noiser too, but I liked the sound) and drives like one hell of a car. Cornering is great fun with it. And the gearbox is better, shifting is easier and faster. However, you feel bumps on the road stronger than you feel them in the Mercedes. Not that it's not comfortable, but the Mercedes is just somehow smooter. But the driving agility evens that out, and you can definitely have much more fun with the 325Ci than with the C240.

At the moment, I'm tending a bit more to the BMW, but I haven't made a final decision yet. I'll probably sleep 2 or 3 nights about it (It's quite a lot money and the decision will influence my life for the next 5 years) and decide then.

desertjets

Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:32 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about the harshness of the ride. I think you'd be kidding yourself to think that a performance oriented BMW would ride just as plushly as a Merc sedan. One thing that you could do when you need to replace tires is to put more touring oriented rubber on the car instead of more performance oriented rubber. Unless you plan to autocross, even 4-season high performance tires might be too much.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

sccutler

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:49 pm

Hey, get a Cadillac- it scored above the Merc! Mine's just about perfect.

But I don't thaink that's what you're after, is it?

If you intend to keep the car for a long time, go for the Mercedes. I love the BMWs for their ride and drive, but they are prone to nattering problems as the years go by- I had hoped we could get my wife's Cabrio paid off before it started to get shoddy, but no such luck.

Of course, if you just plain like the BMW better, well, buy what you like. I'd give a drive to the Audi S4, first, though.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

B777

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:52 pm

What would I buy? If I had the $$$, I would get a used A4 or S4 or the new A6.

TWAL1011

Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:15 pm

I'd buy this:

CMK10

Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:18 pm

The mercedes, then I'll take the 1000 Euros and buy something else. Money is everything.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

TurbineBeaver

Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:44 pm

The Bimmer, hands down. You want sport, performance, and luxury. That is what the bimmer gives you!

Don't even CONSIDER getting a Rustang. Blech!

TB

TWAL1011

Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:16 pm

Rustang?!? You've cut me deeply.  Smile

racko
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:27 pm

That's a mustang ? With all the tuning stuff it looks like those cheap asian cars 19 year-olds wannabees drive  Big grin Cadillacs are not sold in Germany.

I think I'm going to get the BMW, I dreamed about it and not about the Mercedes  Smile/happy/getting dizzy 1000€ is quite a lot money, yes, but I think it's worth it.

racko
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:05 am

Just to let you know, I've decided in favor of the BMW. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow to finalize the deal. I'll try to lower the price a little bit, 28500€ would be ok for me.

bmi330

Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:28 am

Buy a JAg X-type same cost ruffly as the merc c-class and bmw 3 serius n its well a better car

N766UA

Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:17 am

Can't go wrong with a beemer!

vaporlock

Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:21 am

I just bought one!!!!

A 1986 Cutlass Supreme - this car is "sweet"....and runs like a dream! One owner and he has restored it to the 9's.....

I got it for $1800. certified....

Phyllis
 Smile

portcolumbus

Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:35 am

Pontiac Vibe. Love the chrome interior and moonroof.

sccutler

Cadillac In Germany

Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:07 am

You may not see a lot of 'em, but they are sold there.

See: http://www.cadillaceurope.com/english/info/dealer_loc/en_xx_deale_de.htm

Ciao
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

racko
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:16 pm

I'm now the proud owner of a 2001 BMW 325Ci  Smile Got the dealer down to 28500 and got a fuel coupon worth 200€. I'll get the car on monday.

Scuttler:
Strange, I've never seen a Cadillac dealer here, nor any new Cadillac driving around.

Skystar

Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:32 pm

Congratulations!

Hope you have many fun, reliable and safe kilometres ahead of you  Smile