TurbineBeaver

RE: Honda S2000

Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:27 pm

All of the other little M3s & S2000s are just a cheap imitation for those who 'think' they are too good to drive a Chevy or Ford.

You're kidding, right? You're trying to call the M3 a "cheap imitation" hahahaha. Get real. Go ride in it. Go drive it. Then tell me how it compares to a Chevy of Ford.

TB

j.mo

Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:33 pm

Camaro? Trans-am? Who drives these outdated, badly styled, mullet-haulers anymore? Besides 40 year old stoners living in New Jersey, listening to Def Leppard of course.
There is a reason why Chevy stopped making them. Go Honda and never look back.

Superfly

Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:44 pm

TurbineBeaver:
You're trying to call the M3 a "cheap imitation"

Yep!

Go ride in it. Go drive it. Then tell me how it compares to a Chevy of Ford.

I have and I will take the Chevy. Thank you very much.  Smile

Adam84:
I as I said before; "It's your money". I am not going to tell this guy how to spen his money, but if he come to the forums for opinions and facts, I will give them.

Can you tell me of a current domestic car/van/suv that has waiting lists which are months long?

Ford Thunderbird
Mercury Marauder

I grew up in a Toyota family and I am very familiar the Japanese cars.
I am not impressed them at all.

Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:52 pm

J.mo:
Camaro? Trans-am? Who drives these outdated, badly styled, mullet-haulers anymore? Besides 40 year old stoners living in New Jersey, listening to Def Leppard of course.

You see, total arrogance and people with inflated egos that feel that they are too good to drive a GM or Ford.  Yeah sure
So what if it hasn't changed. Why change something that’s been perfected 20 years ago.

BTW, I am the complete opposite of the personality type you described. I work with a bunch of arrogant bmw & acura snobs.
I've driven and worked on plenty of European and Japanese cars to know that they are NOT better than American cars.

I've said that millions of times in these forums.
Bring back the Concorde

dragogoalie

Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:52 pm

I'd say sell the car and get a used supra. I'm totaly in love with the supra and mines a '91. Gotta love the 280HP. The twin turbos suck a lot of gas though unfortunately, but its a lot of fun to drive. Or like someone said the 350Z.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

POSITIVE RATE

Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:04 pm

LOT767-300ER it seems to me that you are taking this "rice" stuff a little too far. "Rice" refers to a crappy little Honda Civic type automobile which is done up to the max. It has nothing at all to do with a stock standard S2000 or any other stock standard Japanese car for that matter. I think you should not label all asian cars as being "rice" because by doing this you are actually misusing the term. These Japanese engines seem to be a lot more reliable and i'm proud to say that the 2L that i drive can do 0-100km/h in 6.2 secs and stock standard 1/4 mile in 14.5. Not bad for a 2L eh?

Adam84

Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:08 pm

I will rephrase my question. Can you tell me of a current mass produced American car that has waiting lists months long? The Thunderbird and Marauder do not count as they are limited production models.

I grew up in American auto families (Father was Ford....Mother is GM and Chrysler). This is what caused me to go Jap and never come back. Actually I will digress and say that I would buy a Chrysler. Even though they are real pieces of $hit, I would still buy them as they make some of the most attractive vehicles ever. Just like I would buy Mitsubishi....even so they are real pieces of garbage...they still look a hell of alot better than anything Honda or Acura could ever put out.

I will say that I think Acura/Honda makes some real bland vehicles, but from an engineering standpoint they are amazing.

Growing up in a Toyota family should not sour your mouth from Japanese cars forever. Toyota makes the most bland of all....their cars have absolutely no soul or attitude. I would not step into a Toyota dealership unless my life counted on it....I cannot stand anything they build, they are all too grown up for my tastes and way too tepid. Honda focuses their attention on engineering and driver enjoyment...whereas Toyota focuses on having a quiet and plush ride (except the Celica)....but that floats some consumers boats.

Superfly

Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:43 pm

Adam84:
Well Adam, I guess we have complete opposite taste on just about everything automotive.
That's fine.

I think Toyota has to be the best brand out of Japan. My favorite being there Cressida 1982-1986 model years. They had a great straight 6cyl. engine that was rear-wheel drive.
I really liked the 'button down pillow' leather seats; brushed aluminum-faced dashboard with 7 band illuminated EQ and left & right output VU meters.
This car rode almost as well as an Oldsmobile Delta 88.  Smile

My mother has a '96 Camry (4 cyl) and has just over 200,000 miles (those L.A. commutes will do it) and only had to replace a water pump as the only maintenance in it's lifespan.

As far as Mitsushitsi goes, I never met anyone who got over 80K on there’s without needing a valve job. My girlfriends '92 Eclipse ran out of control. Transmission got stuck in 1st gear and accelerated knocking down a fence and destroying her neighbors rose garden. I had a friend with a '94 Expo and a cousin with a '91 Gallant and none of them reached 90K miles.
Mitsushitsi has way too much plastic cladding on the outside and the paint fades differently than the metal. After about 6 years, they look hideous.

Actually I will digress and say that I would buy a Chrysler.

Wait a few years for the 300N. I'll talk about that in another thread

As you may know, I am a not so proud owner of a 1987 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible. The car always gives me problems. Chrysler makes good looking cars but they are underpowered and are poorly assembled.
The Fifth Avenues were there last good vehicles.

Can you tell me of a current mass-produced American car that has waiting lists months long?

Honestly I don't pay to much attention to the trends of the fickle-minded buying public. I know for a while, there were waiting list for and I am sad to say , GM SUVs.
Are there any waiting lists for "mass produced" Japanese cars?
You live here in the Bay Area too and as you can see, our roads are cluttered with these little Japanese imports and the dealers seem to have many on the lots as well.
Bring back the Concorde

Adam84

Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:15 pm

Superfly:

You did not read my whole thread.

I would buy a Chrysler and/or a Mitsubishi because they look good. I know that they are pieces of garbage. One of my recent flings had a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 83,000 miles on it. He was all excited because he only had 22 payments left on it...then it was his. Well low and behold 2 weeks later the transmission (Chrysler 4spd) went. He could not afford for the transmission replacement...now he is driving a fugly Suzuki X90 and still making payments on his broke ass Eclipse.

I will not argue with you on the reliability of Toyota's. Its just they have no character (sans Celica and MR-2). I am currently and unfortunately driving a 1991 Toyota Pickup with almost 140k miles (with the 22R-E engine...basically what the 2.2L in your mothers Camry was based on) and it will just not die. I beat the hell out of it and am so ready to get rid of it. It is amazing for what it is though....I get about 22mpg in the city and get between 28 and 30mpg on the freeway.

The only downside to Japanese autos is the price of parts. Just last Thursday I had the joy of spending $483.** to get new front brake pads, new front rotors and having my front wheel bearings repacked. But I will digress and say that that is really the only money I have spent on the truck (besides oil changes) in nearly 30k miles.

Can I ask you....does your LeBaron have the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 in it? What a beautiful combination....Mitsubishi engine and Chrysler transmission. I am amazed that it is still driveable. If it is, does it smoke every time you accelerate from a stop...meanwhile the transmission sticking in limp home mode and/or slipping in every gear. I am sorry...but I just had to ask.

POSITIVE RATE

Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:22 pm

I think i see the problem here. Since most of you guys are from the USA you don't seem to get too many "real" Japanese imports. What i mean by that is Nissan Silvia/Skyline/200SX/180SX/300ZX/Supra etc. Here in Australia the roads are full of these cars and that is fine since ALL of the above mentioned cars kicks ass over any Aussie manufactured cars. I understand that in the USA there aren't too many of these types around as they are hard to import over there. Regarding Toyota they're not that bad. Sure the Camry and the Avalon sux but what about the Supra twin turbo? what about the MR2? What about the Lexus Soarer twin turbo? these are all great cars in my opinion

Superfly

Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:40 pm

Adam84:
Sorry Adam, I did read your thread. It's just really late and I am tired.
But never too tired to talk about cars!  Laugh out loud

I am currently and unfortunately driving a 1991 Toyota Pickup with almost 140k miles........ and it will just not die.

It might never die!  Laugh out loud
I know two guys who like to take their trucks off road and do all kinds of crazy stuff in and out of their trucks. Both of them are reckless alcoholics and have plenty of accidents and DUIs. One guy has an '83 Toyota p/u and the other has a '88 p/u.
Both of them have rolled over several times and one crashed in to a wall.
These trucks are totally beat up and yet they still run.
Yours may last forever.

Can I ask you....does your LeBaron have the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 in it?

No, but I wish it did. I have the 2.2 (4cyl) turbo engine. It's all Chrysler. The 2.2 (90HP)were originally designed for the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon to compete with the VW Rabbit back in 1980.
Lee Iaccoca had the bright idea of dropping that same engine in all of their K-cars and slapping a turbocharger on them to make them faster (146 HP @5200rpms).
Can you believe the New Yorkers (82-89) had a turbocharged Omni engine? Scary huh!?!?
The 2.2 turbo was prone to engine fires. Once the valve cover gasket starts to leak, oil falls on to the turbocharger and exhaust causing a fire. Mines caught on fire once I when I was pulling in to my garage. Luckily I had the water hose handy.  Smile
At the wrecking yards, I see many low miles 80s Chryslers in almost mint condition with those turbo engines that caught on fire.

The 3.0 Mitsushitsi was one of the better engines they made. My roommate has a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim with the 3.0 with 190,000 miles on it and it runs strong. It's done 3 trips across the U.S. and survived 6 Minnesota winters.

Lee Iaccoca really gave American cars a bad name in the 1980s!  Pissed

Did he flee off to Cuba?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Bring back the Concorde

Adam84

Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:53 pm

Superfly:

My Toyota has probably led a similar life. Its has been in about 5 fender benders without repair. Its all bent out of shape...but still runs like a champ. Even in its pathetic shape I still get people who ask all types of questions about it. I have even once come out to my truck in the Target parking lot to find a note that said "If you ever want to sell your truck, please call ***-***-****" I have gotten more questions and compliments on my beater truck then when I was driving my ex-boyfriends Integra.

This is great that we both have the same hate for Chrysler. I can say that I am amazed that your friends 3.0L Mitsubishi built V6 has last that long. They start to become huge smokers around 80k miles. I will say though...Chrysler makes some attractive vehicles. I don't know if I ever told you about my moms 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. She gladly dumped it around 90k miles, it was on its 2nd engine...third transmission and had been in the shop over 30 times for unscheduled repairs. But it was still a damn good looking van. Not to mention she really misses it now (beats me).

Ya know what Superfly....I am going to have to get together with you sometime so we can banter on and on about cars for hours on end. Oh my god...that would be a serious mess. I have never met anyone (until you) as interested in cars as me. Now I just need to meet a gay guy who knows as much about cars as you.

Staffan

Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:01 pm

"What the heck i never said that. And on the other side you think that every US car sucks and is too big."

Hey LOT,
Why don't you use all of this day to use the search function on these forums and dig out a post of mine where I've said that US cars suck and are too big.

I know I could find a shit load of your posts where you compare European cars to thrash.

Staffan

racko

Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:26 pm

"All of the other little M3s & S2000s are just a cheap imitation for those who 'think' they are too good to drive a Chevy or Ford."

ROFL! He called the M3 a "cheap imitation". Do you actually know what the M3 is ? Your die-hard defending of american cars against anything else was funny for the longest time, but by now it's just pathetic.

I have to quote that again:

"All of the other little M3s & S2000s are just a cheap imitation for those who 'think' they are too good to drive a Chevy or Ford."

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:32 am

Staffan I was pointing towards the fact that you said I call all non-US cars crap which is totally untrue

"Camaro? Trans-am? Who drives these outdated, badly styled, mullet-haulers anymore? Besides 40 year old stoners living in New Jersey, listening to Def Leppard of course. "

Look at any High School parking lot.

Some of you here are comparing a 60k Lexus to a 25k Camaro...boo hoo hoo.. for 60k why dont you just buy a farkin Vette?

I never said all japanese cars are rice. I perfectly know what rice is. And rice isnt just a crappy souped up civic. It can be anything from a Suburban to a Geo Metro.

"I think i see the problem here. Since most of you guys are from the USA you don't seem to get too many "real" Japanese imports. What i mean by that is Nissan Silvia/Skyline/200SX/180SX/300ZX/Supra etc"

Yea huh... we see a an amount of it in some parts of the cities...and plenty plenty when i go to Europe.

Superfly 300N!!!!!!!!! I can make a post about that when i come back from school im at home here on lunch break but i gotta run.

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:47 am

Adam84:
Now I just need to meet a gay guy who knows as much about cars as you.

Funny!  Laugh out loud  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Sorry I am not on your team but I am sure there are some gay car clubs. Before I bought my last Lincoln, I looked at a few here in the city and twice I met two gay male couples that were car enthusiast. They were both older guys and they were in to the American cars of the 40s, 50s and 60s.
I don't think they're your type.  Big grin

After 18 years of production, it still puzzles me as to why the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler mini-vans are so popular. I've met several Dodge/Mopar service technicians that say they are no good. A vehicle that size should only be a V8 rear-drive. Some of the earlier Voyagers had the same 2.2 (4cyl) as my LeBaron!
Try hauling a soccer team in that junk!  Laugh out loud
It's sad that those silly mini-vans replaced the full-sized station wagon in the large family vehicle market.

The Estate Wagons and Colony Parks WILL return! ! ! ! ! ! ! !  Smile  Smile

Bring back the Concorde

Question For All Anti-S2000 Members

Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:56 am

Ok people who dont like the S2000, Have you actually ever driven one?

MCO-ATL

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:58 am

Did you read my very 1st post?
Bring back the Concorde

Larry

Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:00 am

Larry, Yes I read it, But I am wondering if people like LOT767300ER has ever driven one

MCO-ATL

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:02 am

OK, that's cool.
You're 5'10" and 155 lbs.?
Either your real skinny or I need to loose weight!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I am 5' 10" and 215lbs.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:06 am

Nah, I dont think ya need to loose any weight. Maybee its because I like the tight cockpit style of the S2000.

MCO-ATL

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:15 am

My neighbour is at least 6' 7" and slim. I've only seen him with the top down. He looks funny driving off because his head sticks out the top.
Bring back the Concorde

tbar220

Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:45 am

You should just get a DeLorean

Time travel not standard, sorry  Laugh out loud
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:59 am

Or how could you resist the beauty and style of a Blues Mobile?

Such a classic can't be easily resisted  Big grin
NO URLS in signature

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:24 am

I have been in the S2000 and have driven it one block. I dont really think thats "driving" it as stated above. Car is small...first impression. European size.

Tbar! Hell yea! I love the Blues Brothers!

One of the best movies ever made!

God I love good American cars Big grin

Superfly/LOT

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:49 am

Superfly, LOL that would like funny as hell

LOT, I'm a Blues Bro's fan to

MCO-ATL

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:57 am

Superfly ROTFLMAO!

Blues Brothers Rule!

WERE ON A MISSION FROM GOD!

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:05 am

Hahahahaha, This is funny

Superfly, Are you still a Democrat?

MCO-ATL

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:10 am

"Superfly, Are you still a Democrat?"

Does Matt D still go to gay strip joints?

Does the sun still shine?

Well you get the point...

BH346

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:12 am

The Minivan was replaced for a while by the SUV but they seem like they're already getting phased out due to the poor handling and the poor fuel efficiency. The next trend will be wagons...right now we're moving that way from the SUV by "crossovers".
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

LOT

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:13 am

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Or is Johan's favorite color pink?

MCO-ATL

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:22 am

This post has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyyy off topic

MCO-ATL

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:39 am

The S2000 is crap...what else is there to say... good lord lol Big grin

Bring on the Blues mobile!!!!!!!

"(Elwood & Jake in the old police car that Elwood uses to pick up Jake after getting out of prison)
ELWOOD: You don't like it?
JAKE: No I don't like it.
(Elwood floors it and jumps over an open drawbridge)
JAKE: Of course it's got a lot of pickup.
ELWOOD: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Blues Mobile or what?
(Jake after lighting a cigarette)
JAKE: Fix the cigarette lighter."]

ROTFLMAO!

"ELWOOD:It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
JAKE: Hit it!"

BH346

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:42 am

I've heard many great things about the S2000 including quality, handling, efficiency. Being in a town where a Hyundai Sonata is a luxury car and a F-350 is something people use to commute to work(and not leaving the city limits), I haven't really been around one. But I've heard much praise and good reviews from places such as Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and Epinions.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

tbar220

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:09 am

Sorry MCO, I couldn't help it  Laugh out loud So my posts got the topic just a tad off topic, but it got a few laughs  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:11 am

Tbar: maybe the time came for a Blues Brothers thread lol.... Big grin

KFRG

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:37 am

LOT767-300ER,
I think you are being a little too extreme, perhaps biased? The S2000 is far from "crap", it is perhaps the best product Honda has ever produced to date. Although my preference leans towards 302's, 351's, and more of the like, I do have some respect for a certain few small-displacement motors. Believe me, from personal experience I can say that the S2000 is a quick little car, and has no place being compared to a larger Muscle Car, more like a Z3. The outcome? Even though I am a very big BMW fan, I would have to say I would choose the S2000.
Now to the other side of the story, claims that an S2000 would put an SVT Cobra in check are rediclious. And speaking of the 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, now that's one very hot ride.....

-Tom

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:45 am

"I think you are being a little too extreme, perhaps biased? The S2000 is far from "crap", it is perhaps the best product Honda has ever produced to date"

Tom where i said it was crap i was only being sarcastic. The car isnt crap. Its just not logical why one would buy that for so 35k.

"Now to the other side of the story, claims that an S2000 would put an SVT Cobra in check are rediclious. And speaking of the 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, now that's one very hot ride....."

Thats precisely what im getting at here. What we have on the roads is a bunch of people who think a VTEC is god. and their 35 Acura is some sort of Hummer for racing.

SVT Cobra a hot ride...I couldnt agree more. One of my friends has the 03'. Leaves me dead in my tracks compared to that thing....

Myself, im a muscle car person who loves a big engine, big displacement and raw power  Smile

TWAL1011

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:51 am

I suggest you buy this

instead.

KFRG

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:09 am

This is very true LOT.

-Tom

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:24 am

When a man who goes by the name TWAL1011 and suggest Ford, you better listen! Big grin

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Torsten Maiwald

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Bess
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Bess

Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:29 am

Thats why ive added him to my RSU List  Smile

KRFG...yes you know its true.

tbar220

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:38 am

Who needs a car when you can have a Gulfstream V!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kjell Arild Bersås

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nick Sharp

Now that's what I call an interior!  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

TWAL1011

Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:48 am

Well, good to see that great minds think alike.  Smile

Love it, but can't wait to trade it for a Cobra.

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:01 pm

TWAL1011:
Show us that Mustang shot with those three cuties on front. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

TWAL1011

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:05 pm

Just for you, Fly.

TWAL1011

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Know what's funny? This is a thread about the S2000 and we've seen pics of everthing but.  Smile

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:07 pm

WOO-HOO!  Big thumbs up

I like the one holding the beer the most!  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:10 pm

I like the one in the middle the most

MCO-ATL

LOT767-300ER