LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Jeep Cherokee Experiences?

Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:41 am

Im looking into getting a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I am retiring the Impala as my main all year around car. Its going to be in the garage in the winter while i pet her with a diaper... Anyways i looked at the Cherokee and it looks like a solid SUV. I will also be looking into shipping the car to Poland. I intend to do some serious off roading with one of my friend there. This is partly why ive chosen this car.

Does anyone here have the Cherokee? And if so is it a capable SUV that can take a beating? And can tow an ample amount?

N766UA

RE: Jeep Cherokee Experiences?

Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:59 am

I have a Grand Cherokee. Great car. 5.2L V8 so it hauls, tows a good ammount of weight, handles great in the winter. Also, great for off-roading. Although I don't use it for the purpose, we have found ourselves in "interesting" situations that a regular car could never have handled. I'd say go for it!

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:05 am

Thats what I figured dude. I would get a Grand Cherokee but I cant afford such a car...at least yet Big grin

"we have found ourselves in "interesting" situations that a regular car could never have handled."

Thats why I aint touching a import SUV lol  Smile

Pilot1113

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:12 am

That's my dream SUV. I'm going to trade in my 10 year old station wagon for either a 1998, 1999, or 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Let me know what you think of yours, when you get it.

- Neil Harrison

NWA742

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:22 am

One of my old High School buddies had a '97 Jeep Cherokee, and it was a nice truck. During this time I had my good ol' 93 S10 Blazer, and it was also a good truck. We compared the two trucks and found some, but little differences:

1. The Cherokee had a little more cargo room than the Blazer
2. The Blazer had more power and was stronger with the 4.3L V6, vs. the V6 his Cherokee had, so try to get a V8 if you can.
3. He had some problems with computers in the engine or something like that, famous problems on the Jeep I believe.

Both trucks are good, solid, American SUVs that can actually off-road, unlike the imports. So, I would recommend both to anyone looking for a vehicle like yourself.

I would look for both vehicles and find some prices, and go for the better price because they're roughly quite similiar vehicles.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:23 am

Yea ill be sure to catch the V8. A SUV with a V6 is blasphemy. This is why i looked to the Cherokee. A Solid truck.

Ilyushin96M

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:24 am

Hmmm. I have mixed feelings about Jeep products. The chassis and drivetrain are pretty tough, for sure, and hard to beat on the market, but build quality has almost always left something to be desired. This is especially true of the "classic" model pictured in this post - paint goes bad, interior falls apart, electrical problems. Those are just a few things I have heard from Jeep owners. This doesn't apply to the Grand Cherokee, though...their owners consistently swear by them, not at them.

LOT if you're gonna ship that car to Poland, forget it...parts will be next to impossible to find, and if you drive it hard, it will probably be dead within a week. And, of course, there is the car theft problem over there. Better off looking at something from Mitsubishi or Toyota, even Land Rover, as these marques have been in Eastern Europe for years now, and can handle the beatings those roads give a vehicle. And don't get anything really fancy or glitzy that will attract attention. My two cents' worth.  Big grin

sccutler

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:28 am

I had over 150,000 miles on mine when I sold it, and last I heard, it was over 200,00 miles and still running strong. Only meaningful repairs it had required were:

1. Catalytic converter
2. Fuel injectors (they were costly, but were leaking, and I have no sense of humor about fuel leaking out all over the engine; BTW, they were Bosch injectors!)
3. water pump

That 4.0 litre 6 is bulletproof.

Enjoy!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:29 am

IL: Parts hard to find? They have do have Jeep dealerships in Warsaw and Krakow and Katowice that I know exactly where they are.

Mitsu or Toyota SUV? I didnt come here for rice advice  Smile

I believe the photo above is a Cherokee Sport my friend. It isnt a Classic. Land Rover? Id get one but the car is so impractical and overpriced. Toyota? and Mitsu...NO.

NWA742

A SUV with a V6 is blasphemy

In most cases, but it wasn't the same with the Blazers. My old S10 outran it's fair share of V8s when I raced it in High School, and it had just some basic modifications, like an Air Filter, Exhaust.

You can't go wrong with a Vortec engine, trust me  Smile (unless it's that weak 2.2L L4 from GM, but I don't even know if it is a Vortec)

Anyways, don't ship your car to Poland. Just find some good storage facility for the winter, it'll cost much less than shipping and storing in Poland, and you won't have all those people in Poland drooling at your car trying to steal it  Smile  Smile  Smile

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Sccutler: Sweetness! Any idea how the V8 performs in the car? Or is it just not worthy of getting it?

Staffan

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:37 am

"Land Rover? Id get one but the car is so impractical and overpriced."

If you are offroading I seriously don't think it's impractical, and second hand ones come quite cheap.

Staffan

Ilyushin96M

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:38 am

OK, LOT, here's the deal - I know that Jeeps have been on sale in Russia for several years now. The Grand Cherokee is the preferred Mafia vehicle, and those guys don't care if they total a car every day, they are always able to murder someone and buy a new one. So yeah, the parts ARE available...it's just a question of how well you want to get to know the guys in the service department.  Smile

The thing about US-made Jeeps, on the whole, is they are made for driving on our nice, smooth, paved highways, for the most part, and the occasional off-road excursion. I think there is a programme at Chrysler to strengthen the chassis of vehicles bound for the Eastern European market; I know Mercedes-Benz and BMW have that, as well as Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi. However, I know GM and Ford products don't last long over there - a year or two at best before they require major work, because the roads kill them.

One last thing - the photo does picture the old body style, whatever Jeep called it before they finally discontinued it. I think it was introduced in 1983. That's why I referred to it as "classic."  Big grin

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:42 am

"OK, LOT, here's the deal - I know that Jeeps have been on sale in Russia for several years now. The Grand Cherokee is the preferred Mafia vehicle, and those guys don't care if they total a car every day, they are always able to murder someone and buy a new one. So yeah, the parts ARE available...it's just a question of how well you want to get to know the guys in the service department. "

1. Im not going to Russia
2. I would only go to a Authorized Dealer.
3. I know where the honest dealers are

"If you are offroading I seriously don't think it's impractical, and second hand ones come quite cheap."

Staffan Im not going there to offroad for life. A Land Rover is the wrong car for me here in Chicago. Im not questioning its off road capability because i know its great.

"One last thing - the photo does picture the old body style, whatever Jeep called it before they finally discontinued it."

Thats why the topic says Cherokee not Grand Cherokee my friend  Smile

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:47 am

My dad has a 95 Grand Cherokee & my stepmom has a 01 Grand Cherokee and they both run exceptionally well. Both of them are the 4.0 Liter SOHC V6, But for the smaller engine size, they put out more than you would expect. From personel experiences I have beat my fair share of V6 Ford Explorers with them.

MCO-ATL

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:52 am

Dan will you be buying a RAV4 (good god that car scares me) along with that S2000?

NWA742

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:52 am

I know Mercedes-Benz and BMW have that, as well as Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi. However, I know GM and Ford products don't last long over there - a year or two at best before they require major work, because the roads kill them.

Your attempts to bash American cars make me laugh. Are you saying those other imports wouldn't fall apart if they weren't strengthened?  Laugh out loud

Besides, you claim an American Jeep cannot offroad, then you start mentioning Honda and Mitsubishi and all that overpriced crap. You honestly think any import SUV other than a Land Rover could off-road better than an American SUV? You're sadly mistaken, I mean, a Honda? LOL. The Acura MDX is just a minivan with an SUV body, like most of the import SUVs. I watched a MotorTrend show where they took an MDX off-roading, they drove it over a bumpy grassy area and were left with a seriously damaged suspension after a single 30 second run.

Pathetic.

-NWA742

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:56 am

The Lexus RX300..... the RX standing for a perscription to a broken suspension on a pothole Big grin What a joke  Smile

I mean come on IL96M...US Suvs not built for offroading? Who are you trying to kid around?

Ilyushin96M

NWA742

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:06 am

Hmm. Amazing how little it takes for a topic to take the nasty turn...mostly due to interpretation and mistaken meaning.

First off, I'm not bashing American cars. I don't care for them, no, but to each his own. I'm going by what I learned about the "imports" when I was living in Russia from 1992 to 1996 - all the engineering mods ALL MANUFACTURERS had to make to their products so that they could survive the harsh driving conditions there. From what I've seen, I don't think the roads in Eastern European countries are much better, unless ALOT has changed in the past several years.

Secondly, I did NOT say Jeeps cannot offroad. I re-read my own postings to make sure of that. There have been plenty of road tests by Car & Driver and other auto mags with SUVs in offroad situations, and they do pretty well. You yourself refer to the Acura MDX, which, much like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator, will never see a dirt road, let alone rocky terrain. Nor should they, they just aren't suited to anything but highway driving, for the most part.

As for your comment on the RAV4, LOT...mine is dark metallic green, 5-speed, 4WD. Great vehicle - fun to drive, good on gas, and dead-solid reliable. Nothing scary about it.  Big grin

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:09 am

OMG you have a RAV4... I will be praying for you tonight! I promise! Big grin

No your not wrong at all. The roads in Eastern Europe are still bad. Though it is getting better. As interstates are being built. Im speaking for Poland now. IL96M yes but the Navigator and the Escalade can actually TOW something more than groceries.  Smile

Superfly

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:13 am

Have you considered a used Dodge Durango?
Those came with an availible 5.9 liter V8 and is 4X4 drive.

Are there any Russian made SUVs?
I would imagine them to be pretty tough especially if they were made for the Siberian terrain.
Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:18 am

Superfly...

Yes I like the car too..

Though i fear its a bit on the expensive side and eats fuel like crazy. Even though we both know I cant stand little crappy putters...but this thing is a monster.

NWA742

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:25 am

First off, I'm not bashing American cars. I don't care for them, no, but to each his own.

You may not be bashing, but you sound very biased, mentioning about every maker of foreign SUVs as better off-roaders than American SUVs.

I'm going by what I learned about the "imports" when I was living in Russia from 1992 to 1996 - all the engineering mods ALL MANUFACTURERS had to make to their products so that they could survive the harsh driving conditions there. From what I've seen, I don't think the roads in Eastern European countries are much better, unless ALOT has changed in the past several years.

And I'm going about what I've learned my whole life. That import SUVs are not better at anything than American SUVs, except breaking while going over bumps.

Secondly, I did NOT say Jeeps cannot offroad. I re-read my own postings to make sure of that.

True, but you did say:

The thing about US-made Jeeps, on the whole, is they are made for driving on our nice, smooth, paved highways, for the most part, and the occasional off-road excursion.

That's not true, Jeeps are actually made to withstand off-road situations, unlike import SUVs.

You yourself refer to the Acura MDX, which, much like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator, will never see a dirt road, let alone rocky terrain. Nor should they, they just aren't suited to anything but highway driving, for the most part.

Of course they won't see dirt, but the Lincoln Navigator is based on the Expedition, which can off-road, and the Cadillac is based on the Tahoe, which can off-road. So, they could actually off-road much better than a MDX, but they won't be going off road. I do see where you're trying to get at though.

-NWA742

Ilyushin96M

Russian-made SUVs

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:25 am

LOL! That's a good one. There is a vehicle called the Lada Niva, equipped with (I think) a 1.8 litre in-line four, based on technology from FIAT. They come in two-door hatch and four-door hatch models, and besides being four-wheel drive, there's not much else about them that ressembles an SUV. Suffice it to say they are probably the best-made Russian cars for Russian roads, nothing more.

LOT, what you REALLY need is one of those four-door Russian-made vehicles that looks like a cross between a VW Thing and a US Army jeep. They are hideous, come with removeable doors and roof, and are probably the toughest thing you will ever own. Plus, they are easy to come by, and probably can be found in Poland, as well. Military surplus, anyone? Big grin

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:41 am

Lada Niva??????????? OMG ROFLMAO!

Ive driven in this car too.

IL96M are you talking about UAZ and GAZ of Russia?

Ive ridden in this vehicle. Its amazing...you can drive through a water, 5 foot ditches and everything esle in them.

You can fire a missle at them and they wont budge...

Ilyushin96M

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:46 am

Yeah, the "UAZik," as the Russians are fond of calling them...the ultimate ATV. And not hard to find, cheap to buy.

That pic of the Niva is interesting...I wonder how long it took them to get the thing outta the grass? LOL! The amazing thing about Russian cars is they may rust right through, but they keep on going. The Niva is no exception, although its four-wheel drive system is rumoured to be "mechanically difficult." Translation: a '77 Jaguar XJ6 is more reliable.

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:49 am

IL96M Ill buy that. That Niva could plow through a whole forest while any 4Runner or Explorer would be done not even getting through the first couple trees.

Ive seen those things out in the field. Its scare how rough they are.

TimMSP

Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:58 am

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited that I am quite satisfied with. I live in Minnesota and it has handled the past few winters with flying colors and I've taken it off road numerous times with no complaints and have gotten out of sticky situations just as fast as the Wranglers have. It is also great in snow and slush.

I've also pulled about 3,500 lbs...boat and trailer....during the summer months with no issues.

I'd definitely recommend the V8 and the quadra trac and vari-lok drive sytem. I'd also suggest that if you get one to find one with the Brush Guard package and Skid Plate.

The skid plate came in handy when my wife recently hit a deer. I thought the front would be crumpled but the deer must have stumbled right as she hit it because the only damage I could find was a few paint flecks scraped off on the skid plate.

The only downside is the gas mileage which no matter how seems to average out at around 17 mpg.

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:18 am

Tim i appreciate your input. Ill keep those things inmind especially the skid plates

Pilot1113

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:22 am

Why did they discontinue the classic versions? That was about the only Jeep version I ever liked.

- Neil Harrison

sxmarbury33

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:27 am

I have a 2001 Grand cherokee laredo. Ive taken it off roading around my house sort of not to serious and obvisouly its performed fine. One thing directed more to tim is with the quadra trac system. I have the select trac which allows you to chage the 4wd settings. The only issue i have is that since the 2wd setting is rear wheel drive when it rains if i accelerate aggresivly to get into traffic the rear wheels will lose traction whoch is a problem. How long does the quadra drive system take to transfer the torqe and does it rectify this problem? Thats the advantage i can see to select trac if you are off roadoing you dont loose valuable milliseconds when it has to transfer the torqe.

azo

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:35 am

I have a 2000 Cherokee and am very happy with it. I don't like the Grand Cherokee as much, its too fancy. The Cherokee was one of the true SUV's in my opinion. Rides great, though it is a bit loud. The four wheel drive definitely comes in handy, and works great for offroading. Plus the thing just looks cool Smile

The biggest downside to the Cherokee is the back seat. It is pretty uncomfortable, but livable. Good cargo room though when you fold it down.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:40 am

AZO no worries on the backseat. I will be only riding with my gf...or dog which happens most of the time  Smile

LOT

Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:28 pm

LOL LOT, Nope The Rav 4 blows!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Just like every other Toyota)

MCO-ATL

AC320

Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:03 pm

I own a 2002 Cherokee sport. Good vehicle fun to drive, can carry a lot of cargo. I had the V6 engine, so I was a bit unhappy with the hp. Only gripe was the maintenance, not very reliable. I had to replace the rear axle 4 times, the fuel pump twice, the wheel drums twice, and switch out the computer: all within the first 12 months. Fuel economy wasn't spectacular on the road either, only got decent mileage on the highways.

Chicks loved the Jeep. Still very fun to drive, but I don't think I would get it again. Will get a Wrangler, probably the Sahara, within 12 months.
fuddle duddle

Dash8King

Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:22 pm

We have had a 96 Blazer and loved that vehicle but the lease ran out in 98 so we let it go. My exbf bought a new 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited and had problems with the computers which screwed up the transmission and it was a little loud. We were happier with our Blazer. Hey I just bought a 86 silverado my first Truck!

Dash8King

Mom's Exbf!

Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:23 pm

lol "My exbf" I meant my mom's exbf.

Alessandro

Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:47 pm

For more Jeep Cherokee reviews check out www.carsurvey.org
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

racko

Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:01 pm

You want to tell me that this export can't offroad ?

AA7771stClass

Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:51 pm

Couple things...everybody's talking about getting a V-8, but if you know anything about Jeeps you'll realize that Cherokees only come with the 4-cyl or V-6 (only the Grands can come with the 8). Jeeps are definitely capable but to say that all imports suck and are rice is pure ignorance. How about the Land Cruiser...or even the 4Runner. Jeeps, Toyotas, and Land Rovers are supposedly the only trucks capable of taking on the Rubicon Trail stock. A question to you...I've seen Nissan Patrols while over there, are they available in Poland because they looked darn tough to me...similar to a Land Cruiser.

captaingomes

Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:23 pm

Some of the people in this thread call those who like imports "snobs" yet, the attitude that you guys show is exactly snobby! You all have to learn that you can't categorize every import the same way, and that holds true for domestics too. The trully good off road vehicles of the world are made by Jeep, Hummer (and I mean H1, not the glorified Suburban H2), Mercedes (G Class shown above and the Unimog as well), Land Rover, Toyota, and I'm sure a few others. There are a couple of others I may be omitting, but you can get your domestics or imports that are excellent off road.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:28 am

Racko yea ok. Thats 1 vehicle with a price tag that only a couple people here can afford...

Im not talking about vehicle with price tags in the 70k and up range here.

Justin yes the 1999 Wrangler Sahara is also a possibility. Its a sweet car too  Smile

Captaingomes i didnt come to this thread to go into another import fight.

The fact that the US makes more capable SUVs and more powerful SUVs that can go better off road on an AVERAGE than the competition.

"There are a couple of others I may be omitting, but you can get your domestics or imports that are excellent off road. "

Show me a good import than can ride off road for 16 grand like a Cherokee or a Wrangler. And i mean a 98 model or up for that price.

AA7771stClass

Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:11 am

I don't know if this fits in your category but: Toyota Tacoma...

KLAX

Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:01 am

We owned a Jeep Cherokee from the day I was born, and at 15 years old it was still going! We drove that thing in the Californian desert on BUMBY rocky dirt roads, far from any gas station, and it lived. My dad ripped the muffler of on one trip in the desert, we fixed it, and it was fine.

I liked that car. It was a tough bi*ch. 4x4 let go over anything almost.
Of course, IMO if you want real off-road stability, get a Humvee...

-Clovis  Smile

Good Luck Peter Big grin

captaingomes

Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:13 am

LOT, I'm not going to do a search for you for used vehicle prices on imported SUV's in the U.S. I'm also not telling you to buy an import. All I am saying, and in general terms, is that what a few people here claim to be import snobbishness is actually very evident in the attitudes of those same people towards American vehicles. You would gain a lot by opening your eyes a bit by at least aknowledging the existent of quality alternatives for the same purpose which may or may not have been designed in a country other than the U.S.

A Toyota (4Runner for example) might fit your needs, and will more than likely be more reliable and durable. And it will hold its own off road, although probably not as well as a Jeep. But again, buy a Jeep! Buy what makes you happy! I only wanted to open the eyes a bit of some of the biased users here on this board.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:32 am

Captaingomes: my eyes are open. Ive been already to Toyota Schaumburg dealer here. I just dont like the cars...

I really doubt a 4Runner could

I did a simple search and it showed a 1999 4Runner for 16k..
The catch...2WD. and 50k miles.

AC320

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:12 am

Peter a word about used Jeeps: They will either be in really good shape or will disintegrate quickly, so choose carefully. Remember: Chick magnet  Big thumbs up
fuddle duddle

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:19 am

Justin: Ive already got an Impala SS....Its more than a chick magnet...it was born for killing rice burners Big grin

AC320

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:24 am

I'm merely driving Jeeps until the Med school thing pays off and I can afford to be with my one true love: BMW 745Li. Can't wait to give those Wrangler's a try though, now that's a fun SUV especially here in FL.
fuddle duddle

Dash8King

Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:31 am

As soon as anyone suggested import you responded like a typical American and were implying that they hated American made vehicles. You guys need to step off your pedestals and stop being so defensive.