flyboy36y
Topic Author

Who Remembers Wolfenstein 3D?

Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:11 pm

I recently re-downloaded the demo of Wolfenstein 3D... boy did it bring back memories.

I remeber that as a child me an my cousin, Michelle, would spend hours on that game. I'd controll the movement and she'd shoot. Now that I'm older my gaming skills have improved. I've even found the secret "Purple Level" that can be accessed from the first level. Anyone know any more?

Who here played this game when it first came out, in awe at the great graphics?  Big grin

Ndebele

RE: Who Remembers Wolfenstein 3D?

Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:27 pm

I played it, too - but not when it came out, I got it much later, it was about three years ago. Of course, the graphics were quite outdated, but still it was fun to play Big grin Great! I'm sure I still have it somewhere... gotta look for it, now I wanna play it again!

Turbolet

Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:18 pm

This brings back memories of some five years ago (I was 11 at the time).
I was at this school where such games were very popular. Wolfenstein 3D was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge favourite, as well as Doom (the computers could not run anything better at that school). In fact, the computer teacher himself used to play Doom with us and he proposed a schoolwide tournament, which, sadly never occured.
-turbolet

portcolumbus

Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:39 pm

Yep, still got it. Had the Beavis and Butthead and Barney add-ons for it, too.

lubcha132

Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:39 pm

now that brings me back! i remember the level where it was like a maze and i got so scared when one of the nazi's popped out.

jcs17

Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:18 am

I still think that Wolfenstein 3D was the best game ever, just think about it...it started a whole new genre of computer games...the role-play. Everything about that game was awesome, I loved the fact that you were actually shooting people and not some made-up monsters. By the way, there has been a remake of Wolfenstein, and it is in stores now.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

By the way, Lubcha, every level was a maze. It was designed to be like a castle.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

TurbineBeaver

Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:39 am

Wow, I remember that game. Absolutely LOVED it. WHere can you download it from? I really wanna get it. Just that screenshot brings back memories!

Can anyone provide a link where I can download it from?

Also, who remembers Duke Nukem' 3D? Good game too!

TB

N766UA

Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:29 am

Wolfenstein- the original PC shooter. I love that game today as much as I did when it first came out. It's a timeless classic.

flyf15

Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:50 am

What a great game. Where can we go to download it?

NJTurnpike

Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:01 am

http://www.3drealms.com/wolf3d/ will get you to the demo level download. Check out the specs for this classic;

"Must be played on an 80286 or better machine. Does not run on XT systems. "

Back in t'day, I couldn't play this thing at full speed on my 386-SX25 unless reducing the window size. Ahh, that's nostalgia Big grin

NWA

Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:21 pm

A true great indeed. However, the DOOM series has it beat by far. i still play DOOM to this day.I have all the dooms made, and that includes DOOM 64.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

Lindy

Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:55 pm

I played this game for about 6 months 7 years ago hehehe
I finished all levels. It was great game but simple.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

jwenting

Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:06 am

NWA, without Wolfenstein 3D there would have been no Doom.
Doom was created after the success and using the techniques learned from Wolfenstein.

Of course it looks better and has more longterm playability, but that's because it is the next generation. W3D is the one that started it all, the game that brought PC gaming into its maturity.
I wish I were flying

flyboy36y
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:31 am

NWA,

Wolf 3D Is a classic, Doom is only a semi-classic. Wolf had a better (more realistic) storyline. To be honest I don't like some of these new "first person" shooters. For all of it's pixilted graphics I still jump when I enter an empty room and a nazi soldier shoots at me from nowhere.

There is also a certain satisfaction in single-handedly bringing down the third reich (as opposed to savind Phobos and Demos).

To that end, I still prefer games like SWAT3 and Delta-Force to Quake and other "non real" games.

Come on... who did not scream YEAH!! (if only mentally) with the mail charachter as we went out-of-body in the end and saw him run out?