MSYtristar
Topic Author

World's 4th Largest Cruise Ship Arrives In MSY

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:58 am

The Carnival Conquest, the largest ship in the Carnival Cruise Line fleet and the 4th largest in the world, arrived at the Port of New Orleans yesterday after a two week transatlantic voyage from the shipyard in Italy.

The ship's normal capacity is 2,974 passengers. Some features of this amazing vessel include 22 bars and nighclubs, a 220-foot waterslide, and one of the largest shopping areas afloat. It is 953 feet long and has 13 passenger decks.

The ship will do weekly, year-round, 7-night voyages from New Orleans to the Western Caribbean, starting in the first week of December.

Go to Carnival.com to see a picture of this impressive ship.

Now, New Orleans is the #2 Carnival port behind Miami......way to go N.O!!!

aa61hvy

RE: World's 4th Largest Cruise Ship Arrives In MSY

Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:31 am

isnt this boat supposed to compete with the royal carribean ship "voyager" which i was told was the biggest in the world..?
Go big or go home

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:43 am

Yeah, the "Voyager of the Seas" holds about 3,100 I think...so they are fairly similar in size. Carnival will build about 3 more Conquest-sized ships over the next few years as well.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:52 am

These beasts are some of the fattest, softest terror targets on the planet. I wouldn't step aboard one without an AEGIS destroyer sailing 300 yards away the entire trip.

TurbineBeaver

Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:48 am

paranoia?

wn700driver

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:01 am

No, seriously Turbine, guy's got a point there. It probably wouldn't take much more than three or four hundred kg of explosives placed correctly to break her keel in half.
And those freaks are all about hurting as many people as possible, so...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

aa61hvy

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:02 am

That is some paranoia, but heavymetal does bring up a good point. there is only x-rays at the ports of call. but then again, its easier to get out of a sinking boat then a plane going down.
Go big or go home

heavymetal

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:12 am

guys if i said i worried about jetliners & skyscrapers on 9/10/01, would it be paranoia...?

We have precedent...the USS Cole (Good design construction and some epic heroic effort saved her from rolling over Bismarck style).

And God knows they have motive.

Once she's past the jetty, gang, she's pretty much on her own. It's a big ocean out there. Today's hidden terror doesn't have a U-number or a swashbuckling Jurgen Prochnow type peering through the periscope. But it's just as real.

A story last week in the 'mainstream media' mentioned how badly understaffed the Coast Guard is (To his credit, Dubya is working to address the issue)....until I know there's a comprehensive fast-response security network covering the Caribbean, these floating cities will leave without me.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:20 am

The only cruise I ever went on made a stop in SDQ for some reason...hardly no one got off there...you could hear machine guns going off in the distance...not really the best thing to hear while on vacation.

JetService

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:32 am

I was on the Destiny which was the monster at the time and they invited us to view plans for the Conquest-sized ships. Unbelievable. But I agree with Heavy on this. Those ships would indeed be primo targets. Thousands of happy vacationing civilians bunched together in one spot in the middle of nowhere with little protection. I certainly would feel vulnerable aboard.
"Shaddap you!"

heavymetal

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:33 am

The guys with machine guns should be quietly tucked away on bow & stern, 6 watches, round the clock. There should be a standing "no approach" maritime edict around all cruise ships in the open sea, plus an industry agreed upon safety parameter for what consitutes a well patrolled harbor, and what constitutes a port-of-call that meets strict safety regs. (Haiti?...please..)

david b.

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:04 am

How about torpedo countermeasures?

Only a handful of MK-48 is needed to sink that thing.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

heavymetal

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:10 am

Yeah but MK-48s are a wee tougher to get a hold of than high explosive fertilizer and diesel fuel.

david b.

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:14 am

Your going to need a lot of explosives, and a method of sneaking them on.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

lehpron

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:32 am

Ah yes, heavymetal has brought out the "terrorist target" wild card.

Yeah let's all just assume that everything we build from now on is going to be a terrorist target and live our lives in our cozy homes...  Wow! Wait a second, if everything becomes a terrorist's target (eventually), there's nowhere to go. We'll all die!!! :-

Dude, that's the purpose of terrorism, to make you fearful of your surroundings, to destroy your peace, not freedom, but your own peace. Being paranoid, scared, ignorant, or blind are some of what happens after shit like 9/11. Pick up you hurt and put it away, you've experienced it, don't let it consume you. Experience life, visit the world, don't be nuts about getting on that damned boat!
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

heavymetal

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:52 am

Save your lecture on bravery, Patton. The cajones are fine and dandy thanks.

I pointed out a very legitimate weakness in a very popular transportation system. If my beliefs aren't Rambo enough for ya, bon voyage. The food sucks anyway.

flight152

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:13 am

The food sucks anyway.

Ha! Last cruise I went on had some of the best food I ever had. Seems you must have taken one of those discount ships becasue everyone I have talked to in the past has had a good experence.

azo

Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:25 pm

I took a cruise on the Voyager of the Seas last December out of Miami, and this December I am taking one out of New Orleans on Grandeur of the Seas. This is going to be my first time in MSY and we are spending a day in the city (wish it was more). I look forward to that probably more than the cruise.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

TurbineBeaver

Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:52 am

Wn700Driver, Heavymetal,

I never said that Heavymetal's point wasn't valid. I totally agree that they are an easy target and could be sunk easily. What I referred to as paranoia, was the fact that he said so strongly that he wouldn't want to board one (without a destroyer nearby). 9/11 was tragic, and scary too, however we can't live our lives in paranoia and fear of the next terror attack. Yes, we should be wise, and cautious, and careful, but I haven't changed any of my activities and nor will I. We're at risk driving home in our car everyday, flying in planes, life is a risk!

No offense intended there, Heavymetal.

TB

Tom in NO

Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:04 am

And Carnival is threatening to pull the boat out of New Orleans (and move it to Gulfport, MS) if the local power company (Entergy) doesn't raise a string of power lines that cross the Mississippi River south of the city. The lowest point of the line is about 40-odd feet lower than the highest point of the ship. The ship has to run along the river bank nearer to the power poles, and bypass an anchorage in the same area.

So now it's a fight between Entergy, Carnival, and the Port of New Orleans.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Marcus

Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:53 am

Cajones? (drawers)................I sure you mean cojones (balls)
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown