Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing777/747
Topic Author

Future For Airlines After US-attack On Irak?

Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:29 pm

Scientists predict a serious de-stabilisation of the region and a world wide crisis in case the USA attacks Irak. It seems the USA cannot be stopped anymore. Such a crisis must hit a number of airlines. What do you think the future will be? Are the Americans aware of the consequences of such a possible attack? Will Mr. Hussein choose for self destruction and so for a possible new world war? Will Mr. Bin Laden take advantage of the occured situation? I'm not a fortune teller but it is for sure it than will hit the world economy and so civil aviation.

RE: Future For Airlines After US-attack On Irak?

Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:41 pm

Yes it is going to be a real mess -
One way or the other...
Dont worry for our friend Saddam... he will survive with accounts in Switzerland...
Its either that they clobber him or they clobber the rest of the world...
Only poor people will die and suffer...
But - important - Wall street needs it...
And airlines rent planes to carry troops and military cargo supplies...
Jet fuel at $3.oo per liter...
(s) Skipper

Joni

Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:53 pm

Let's keep our fingers crossed that war doesn't break out, but if it does I don't see how the US majors can survive without massive government handouts.

The war alone will likely cause passenger numbers to plummet in/from the US, and if a few planes are blown up they will plummet even more.

Boeing777/747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:25 pm

Yeah, indeed Wallstreet needs a possible war. Was it all a setup by the US government to stimulate its own economy and to avoid difficult questions about internal problems? Angry tongues in Europe say; yes. But what is it all good for aviation, even for US aviation? Is it a minor industry?

RickB

Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:58 pm

How did you work out that Wallstreet needs a war, everytime war is threatened stocks nose dive, if it becomes reality watch for a bigger fall - the only winners will be weapons companies and possibly medical companies. Most stocks will drop through the floor !!! Instability in the market is not good for stock prices !!

RickB

aa777flyer

Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:03 pm

...the correct spelling of Irak is....IRAQ!!!!
and it is very unlikely that the airlines (majors) would survive any war with Irak..I mean Iraq.....
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

A330

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:21 am

Attacking Iraq will result in the destruction of the US "safe haven" as we know it today. Thank you mr. Bush... Fools will never learn apparantly!
No airline in the US can support the consequences of a war!
Shiek!

RIX

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:20 am

Fools will never learn apparently! - sure, they won't. Europe was terribly afraid to touch the maniac that eventually started war that killed tens of millions people. Though it was clearly said: Germany couldn't have any offensive weapons. Now it was clearly said: UN (not US) sends its inspectors to make sure another maniac can't be dangerous for the whole world. Guess what? They are again terribly afraid to touch him! For sure, the fools will never learn... Now it is totally because of "evil" America that the guy allows the inspectors back after some four years as he was fooling the whole world. Or do you think if he could start a world war he would wait America/UN/whoever to shoot first?! Indeed, the fools will never learn...

swaluvfa

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:37 am

There is one airline that might make TONS business if a war breaks out. World Airways. Intrestingly enough, I just started with them, so we shall wait and see.

747-451

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:45 am

A330 said:

"Attacking Iraq will result in the destruction of the US "safe haven" as we know it today"

Actually 9/11 did that....duh...thanks mr. Clinton

TonyBurr

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:54 am

I wonder if Osama Ben Laden asked ( or cared) about these questions before he "attacked" and started the whole thing??

Rai

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:11 am

.But - important - Wall street needs it...

Yeah, indeed Wallstreet needs a possible war. Was it all a setup by the US government to stimulate its own economy and to avoid difficult questions about internal problems? Angry tongues in Europe say; yes. But what is it all good for aviation, even for US aviation? Is it a minor industry?

Ummm...you guys are way, way, way off! Best you don't say things that you don't know, OK? I work in financial services. Oh hell, I even used to work a couple blocks north of Wall Street on Maiden Lane. A war is NOT (and I repeat and emphasize NOT) good for Wall Street. Just look at the market today -- stocks soared when it was announced that Iraq accepted the UN resolution. People here in the States don’t want a war. Certainly the business types don’t. I say, and I’m sure most of the other economic analysts will agree, that the prospects of a war and the uncertainty of the Middle East region are the only things that are propping down the world economy. That is why people aren’t spending, buying, hiring, traveling, flying, etc. The fundamentals of the economy are fairly strong and there really is no reason why we should be going through a recession right now. Fear and uncertainty are the main factors keeping things at the sluggish pace we’re seeing.

How did you work out that Wallstreet needs a war, everytime war is threatened stocks nose dive, if it becomes reality watch for a bigger fall - the only winners will be weapons companies and possibly medical companies. Most stocks will drop through the floor !!! Instability in the market is not good for stock prices !!

RickB, thank you! These people don’t know what they’re talking about.

BA

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:22 am

A war on Iraq will only cause the economy to suffer even further, and cause the airline industry to plummet even further. And yes, you will most definately see several airlines disappear.

A war on Iraq will also raise tensions in the Middle East and other countries and will create more enemies and MORE hatred towards the US.

I really wish the US was a neutral country.

Switzerland, a neutral country hasn't had a war in 600 years.

Neutrality is the way to go in my opinion.

I pray a war with Iraq o ANY country does not happen. That's the last thing this world needs right now, another war. ESPECIALLY one in the Middle East.

Lets not forget Iraq has accepted UN resolutions. Lets hope a war does not happen.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

OA412

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:35 am

the correct spelling of Irak is....IRAQ!!!!

Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe in this world of ours there may be a language other than English and that maybe, just maybe they may spell IRAQ as IRAK in that language? Maybe sometimes our foreign (i.e. non US) participants may not be as adept at American English spelling as we are?

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

dc10hound

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:46 am

the correct spelling of Irak is....IRAQ!!!!

Only in English

There will be no war. the U.S. election is over.

"Eagles soar. But weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.."

hmmmm...

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:19 pm

Nobody can be asinine enough to suggest that ferrying a possible 200,000 service personal, there and back once, to the mid-east, can be an improvement upon ferrying millions upon millions of passengers every day throughout the US and abroad?

Wars, especially in the mid-east, are always bad for any US economy. And airlines get hit the hardest. People put off vacations by air travel, and businesses cut back on business travel when the budget takes casualties. In unstable economic times, it is the unnecessary frills that people chop first. And most airline travel is not absolutely necessary.

BTW, 747skipper, the current price of Jet-A is about $.50 / liter, not $3.00/liter. But as a commercial airline pilot, it's not likely that you would know that. Or should I allow you to save face by suggesting that you were only "predicting" that 600% price increase? In which case, the airlines could not possible afford to lift a single aircraft off the ground. And nobody would fly. This is good for the airlines?

An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

TonyBurr

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:27 pm

As BA says the peace loving Sadam has accepted the UN Resolution. So, are we confident that the man will of course follow it? Has anyone hurt the airline industry ( and world economy) more then Osama??

Rai

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:28 pm

Nobody can be asinine enough to suggest that ferrying a possible 200,000 service personal, there and back once, to the mid-east, can be an improvement upon ferrying millions upon millions of passengers every day throughout the US and abroad?

LOL! I can't believe I missed that point!  Laugh out loud

BA

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:38 pm

Has anyone hurt the airline industry

Yes, the Gulf War.

Continental filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and Northwest was on the verge of filing bankrupcty protection.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:43 pm

Also TonyBurr,

The airline industry and economy were not affected only by 9/11.

The economy began to slide in 2000, and greatly accelerated in early 2001. Business travel dropped significantly in early 2001.

Lets not forget what happened to Midway Airlines. Rapid expansion AND the drop in business traffic is what led to them filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Don't blame all of today's problems on 9/11. These problems started way before the terrorists got on those planes.

9/11 made it even worse obviously.

And another war will further burden the economy and the airline industry.

Regards

TonyBurr

Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:05 pm

BA you are right that the airline industry was taking a dive before 9/11, even though they tend to blame it all on 9/11 and do not admit that they were in trouble before that. Makes it easier for them to get finances. CO and NW might have been in trouble at the time of the Gulf war, but CO came back even stronger, especially with their greatly improved service. Shows that a decline can be reversed when the airlines see themselves as a service industry.

Although the industry had serious problems before 9/11, Osama's actions caused the decline to nose dive. Yes the airlines would probably still be in trouble, but Osama certainly did not help the airline industry, the economy, or the relatives of the victims.

Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:09 pm

Sorry Hummm... - about the price, I know varies... you mention 50 cents a liter, many places cheaper than that...
xxx
But I was with PanAm in OCT 1973, when fuel prices went 3 or 4 times what they were before... and after the next war, they will maybe double again...
xxx
World politics I am disgusted as much as you all are - and for me insult President Bush, or Clinton, well let's insult the others equally, Saddam, or Osama, Yassir and company - let them fight their wars theiselves...
xxx
Please let's not have a war here ourselves about spelling, Iraq or Irak, I have seen Kadaffi spelled Ghadafi... translation of names into English... what rule do we follow...
xxx
Some of us spell tyre or tires, licence or license, harbour or harbor, some of us even get arguments over propellor or propeller... who cares...
xxx
All I know, I am fed up with wars, famine, and drug traffic...
Happy contrails...
(s) Skipper

747-451

Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:39 am

"Are the Americans aware of the consequences of such a possible attack?"

Like what, a world with one less despot?
"There is one airline that might make TONS business if a war breaks out. World Airways. Intrestingly enough, I just started with them, so we shall wait and see"

Maybe, maybe not since there are other airlines with lrager airplanes in CRAF..don't be smug.  Smile
BA--add that USAirways was in tatters before 9/11 and United and USAir were realing before 9/11 since the merger was called off...How conveinient for United and USAir to be complaining now, since the fruits of previous mismanagement before 9/11 were already starting to ripen. Also, the hubris like over expansion, poor management, bad leasing deals and cost containment are/were a factor pre-9/11...
"World politics I am disgusted as much as you all are - and for me insult President Bush, or Clinton, well let's insult the others equally, Saddam, or Osama, Yassir and company - let them fight their wars theiselves..."

Yes, politics disgusts me, but negligeince on the part of the UN, Clinton disgust me even more. As far as Sadam, Osama and Yassir, the problem is that they cant "war amongst themselves"--being that they export war hatred and violence to the World Trade Center, Washington, Tel Aviv or Bali....

"All I know, I am fed up with wars, famine, and drug traffic..."

And terrorism and murder and the spinelessness of people/politicians/countries to do anything about it except negotiate/appease it to death (literally) with no change...

"There will be no war. the U.S. election is over."  Insane  Insane sure right...